HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

D pairings if the lockout ends today

Old
12-06-2012, 10:43 AM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
D pairings if the lockout ends today

Gunnarson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-??
Liles-Holzer

Whos gonna play with gardiner on the second pairing? How bad is komisarek? maybe he could improve enough under carlyle to play with gardiner? perhaps franson or holzer? Maybe gardiner could play top pairing with phaneuf and liles and gunnarsson could play second pairing? If you ask me our D has a lot of question marks, Burke has pimped his D to the media pretty much every year since hes been here but i doubt hel be doing that this year.

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Cor
LL Legend

vCash: 50
Anybody know what will happen with guys like Franson and Subban? Will they be able to sign deals since it is passed December 1st? I assume they will add in a quick time slot for RFAs but, IDK.

Also, I'd hold off on these type of threads, until we get a strong indication that the lockout will end today.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

I doubt the Lockout ends today.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

I'll be surprised if Ranger isn't in the mix. Too bad he's yet another left shot, but he's in our top 6 IMO. He'd be a good pairing with Dion, IMO, if they can sort out two left shots on the top pair. Yes, I realize I'm slotting a guy who was out of the game for the last three years on our top pair lol..

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:55 AM
JVR2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
I'll be surprised if Ranger isn't in the mix. Too bad he's yet another left shot, but he's in our top 6 IMO. He'd be a good pairing with Dion, IMO, if they can sort out two left shots on the top pair. Yes, I realize I'm slotting a guy who was out of the game for the last three years on our top pair lol..
Seriously?
Edit: just read your last sentence. lol
Give him some time, hes obviously a NHL caliber player.

JVR2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Its worth seeing him for a couple games, but I don't think we can slot him on the top pairing just yet.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
Its worth seeing him for a couple games, but I don't think we can slot him on the top pairing just yet.
Well, maybe second pairing with Gardiner then to start, same two left shot problem. He's a better Gunnarson IMO.. steady D, able to chip in offensively, just a good fit with an offensive minded D. I'll admit bias, I really liked him with the Lightning and am tickled that we seem to have picked him up out of the blue for free. Very good player. Doesn't appear to be showing much rust from what I've watched of the Marlies, he's obviously beyond the AHL game even now, and improving. I'd play him over Franson, Komi and Holzer personally.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
frankthetank91

Probably Komisarek.If he ***** the bed and we still have Franson then him. If not him we can call up Kostka or Ranger.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

gunnarsson phaneuf
gardiner franson
liles komisarek

or

gardiner phaneuf
liles franson
gunnarsson komisarek

holzer #7

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
BlueBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Probably Komisarek.If he ***** the bed and we still have Franson then him. If not him we can call up Kostka or Ranger.
I don't think we can call up Ranger. He has an AHL contract, not an NHL one. I am not sure if the Leafs can suddenly offer him a two way deal before this contract is up but as I understand it he is not in play for the Leafs until next year, as an UFA and is only a Marlie until then.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBaron View Post
I don't think we can call up Ranger. He has an AHL contract, not an NHL one. I am not sure if the Leafs can suddenly offer him a two way deal before this contract is up but as I understand it he is not in play for the Leafs until next year, as an UFA and is only a Marlie until then.
You're right of course, forgot he's on AHL deal only at this point. But I'm sure they can offer him a NHL contract if they want to as well, which they will. I'm sure a standard out clause allows for a guy to sign a NHL contract if offered, at the very least with the affiliated NHL team. Can't deny players the chance at the NHL and a lot more money to keep them down in the A.

Old
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Holzer
Liles-Komisarek

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:07 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Holzer
Liles-Komisarek
Love that top pairing personally.

Probably will see:
Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles - Ranger(or Komi)
Gardiner - Holzer(or Kostka)
Franson

Remember folks, the cap is going down and we'll likely get some amnesty buy outs. So Komi gone likely?

Old
12-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Assuming that we can Ranger up here.

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Ranger - Gardiner
Liles - Holzer

7th: Komisarek

And I'm also leaning towards leaving Rielly in Junior if he can get a trade out of the Jaw.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:11 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Liles - Komisarek
Gardiner - Holzer

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
MakeTheIronSing

Quote:
This.

He's been extremely dependable so far, with ALOT to prove in the show.

Plus despite being not overly skilled offensively, he gets a lot of shots on net. Which is great from a dependable d man. This was great news when he signed with the Marlies.

Get anything for Komi. I mean ANYTHING, people always joke about a bag of pucks, but in this instance, I would welcome it. I've gotten the sense that people have been waiting for his contract to end. A terrible trade could solve that. I'm talking like AHL grinder, anyone.

The Leafs need Franson back to develop again, either for a good trade or for actual good play. I'd Rotate Liles Franson Holzer Gysbers and Blacker until 2 stake a legit claim.

Last edited by MakeTheIronSing: 12-06-2012 at 12:28 PM.
MakeTheIronSing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:24 PM
ponder

Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarsson and Liles are all locks, after that it's up in the air. If we're able to re-sign Franson, he should have a very solid spot on the team, probably on the 2nd pairing (side note, why did we trade for him, then screw him around with healthy scratches and limited ice time when he was in a contract year? Awful strategic decision making, especially since he was pretty good for us when he played). I think Komi makes the team as well, especially with that monster contract and NMC.

If Franson signs:

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Liles - Komi
(Ranger and Holzer as wild cards)

If Franson doesn't sign:

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Komi
(Holzer also a possibility)

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:27 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheIronSing View Post
This.

He's been extremely dependable so far, with ALOT to prove in the show.

Plus despite being not overly skilled offensively, he gets a lot of shots on net. Which is great from a dependable d man. This was great news when he signed with the Marlies.

Get anything for Komi. I mean ANYTHING, people always joke about a bag of pucks, but in this instance, I would welcome it. I've gotten the sense that people have been waiting for his contract to end. A terrible trade could solve that. I'm talking like AHL grinder, anyone.
I feel like we'd already have traded him for nothing if it was possible, but I think he has legitimately negative value. He's an OK bottom pairing dman, with 2 seasons left at a cap hit of $4.5 mil (not to mention a NMC), who wants that? We'd probably have to do something like Komi and a 2nd round pick for a busted prospect, or Komi and a solid prospect for a busted prospect.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:31 PM
SnipeCheeseAllDay

Rielly - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Gardiner
Liles - Komisarek
-Holzer

SnipeCheeseAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I feel like we'd already have traded him for nothing if it was possible, but I think he has legitimately negative value. He's an OK bottom pairing dman, with 2 seasons left at a cap hit of $4.5 mil (not to mention a NMC), who wants that?
A cash-strapped team looking to make the cap floor might have some modicum of interest in a guy with a cap hit of $4.5M, but a salary of $3M (IIRC). He'll also only have one year left on his contract after this (non-)season.

Marco Esquandolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
A cash-strapped team looking to make the cap floor might have some modicum of interest in a guy with a cap hit of $4.5M, but a salary of $3M (IIRC). He'll also only have one year left on his contract after this (non-)season.
He makes $3.5 mil per year in real money from now on, not $3 mil. Either way it's too much for what he brings to the table. Also, this thread is talking about what would happen if the lockout ends today, and in that case he has 2 seasons left (this season and next season). I think we'll have to sweeten the deal if we want to trade him, I can't see anyone just taking him straight up.

Old
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Stallone View Post
Problem is, we've been saying this exact thing every single year since his first.

Hoping for an amnesty buy-out is probably our best bet of getting rid of him, other than waiting for the contract to expire.

Old
12-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Suntouchable13

I really hope that there is some kind of an amnesty clause in the new CBA so that the Leafs can punt Komi the heck out of here.

Suntouchable13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:03 PM
The Blue Devil

Don't know why people don't want to at least give Komi a chance to work a little more under Carlyle. He looked a lot better when Randy replaced Wilson.

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Franson as a 7th D isn't an option. He's an RFA, and I'm almost certain that he will not sign unless promised consistent top 6 time. So either he will be in our bottom D-pairing if Burke still believes in him, or traded.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote