HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Dougie Hamilton 316 64.23%
Morgan Rielly 138 28.05%
too close to call 38 7.72%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Although I don't think it will be an issue, smaller defenseman (I would assume) would have a much harder time adjusting to the NHL than larger players. If Reilley was 180lbs I would be afraid, but that's simply not the case. Regardless, I believe the point stands that it is an advantage to be bigger, that's why the smaller guys need such a high hockey IQ.

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:30 PM
reffree

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Hamilton is nothing like Chara.

I think a very good comparison for Hamilton is Brent Burns.

Reilly game is tough to compare to others for me because he is quite unique, Campbell is a decent comparison but Reilly is more dynamic.
I can assure you that Campbell was amazingly dynamic in junior, even at the wjc stage he was amazing. Problems for those kind of player is you can't play like that in the NHL.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:

Reilly game is tough to compare to others for me because he is quite unique, Campbell is a decent comparison but Reilly is more dynamic.
I think Hamilton is a cross between Brent Burns and Rob Blake.

Fluid skating/offensive instincts like Burns, but also great shot and willingness to hit the body like Blake.

Not saying he projects to be that, just those seem to be better comparables than Chara to me.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:49 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Really can't compare anyone to Chara.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:59 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:

Only HF is it possible for a prospect to be compared to a #1 Defenseman who is one of the most dynamic offensive D-men in the game and be viewed as some sort of slight. Why don't you compare Rielly to Campbell's 1999 season where he was the CHL Player of the Year (not just Defensemen, all players). Maybe you'll give Campbell some more credit and realize it's a very high compliment to be compared to him.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Only HF is it possible for a prospect to be compared to a #1 Defenseman who is one of the most dynamic offensive D-men in the game and be viewed as some sort of slight. Why don't you compare Rielly to Campbell's 1999 season where he was the CHL Player of the Year (not just Defensemen, all players). Maybe you'll give Campbell some more credit and realize it's a very high compliment to be compared to him.

You could read my other posts about Reilly before calling me out. It wasent an insult.

I apoligize for not paying attention to Brian Campbells 1999 season when I was 7 years old.

Last edited by 1972: 11-18-2012 at 01:29 PM.
1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Beleafer4

tbh you cant go wrong with a comparison like campbell. If rielly ends up like a 45-55 point defenseman, he will certainly be valuable. Much more valuable than a #5 pick. I guess leaf fans just get a bit insulted because campbell was only the #3 defenseman on a cup-winning team. Rielly probably wont be our number 3 when we are done rebuilding so it speaks about our future cup chances. Im just hoping that rielly's extra 15 lb of weight can make him jusstttt a bit more effective .

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:48 PM
reffree

Quote:
You could read my other posts about Reilly before calling me out. It wasent an insult.

I apoligize for not paying attention to Brian Campbells 1999 season when I was 7 years old.
Nothing against you. People in general just forget the CHL isn't the NHL. In particular for those dynamic defensmen.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Kulemon

I dont know why people are knocking Rielly on his size. He is the same height as Jake Gardiner (6'1) and much stockier (200lbs).

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:11 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Nothing against you. People in general just forget the CHL isn't the NHL. In particular for those dynamic defensmen.
The thing about Rielly is that its not only his dynamic skating that makes him special, it's his high hockey IQ and his creativity. He makes smart plays and he uses his skating to give him advantage to make the right/smart moves. Being dynamic and flashy is one thing, but Rielly has the ability to adapt and adjust to whatever type of game he is playing. He did it at the Ivan Hlinka tourny a year ago, he did it at the leaf prospect camp and he did it at the Canada/Russia series on the international ice. That's one of the reasons Hockey Canada is so high on him.

That type of hockey IQ is very easily transferable to any type of hockey league.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Esq.

Give me Hamilton. He's humongous, more physical and right-handed.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:51 AM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
The thing about Rielly is that its not only his dynamic skating that makes him special, it's his high hockey IQ and his creativity. He makes smart plays and he uses his skating to give him advantage to make the right/smart moves. Being dynamic and flashy is one thing, but Rielly has the ability to adapt and adjust to whatever type of game he is playing. He did it at the Ivan Hlinka tourny a year ago, he did it at the leaf prospect camp and he did it at the Canada/Russia series on the international ice. That's one of the reasons Hockey Canada is so high on him.

That type of hockey IQ is very easily transferable to any type of hockey league.
Well, we'll see. I don't question his hockey IQ, but he's right now too much of a high risk high reward in his decisions on ice. NHL coaches won't like it and he'll have to adjust. I'm sure he can, but how dynamic will he be when he'll have to make the safe play instead of the flashy one... All I'm saying is it's not a good idea to compare the "level of dynamic" of a player from the CHL to one in the NHL.

Brian Campbell the NHLer his less dynamic than Morgan Rielly the CHLer, but Campbell the CHLer was more dynamic than Rielly the CHLer, IMO.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Well, we'll see. I don't question his hockey IQ, but he's right now too much of a high risk high reward in his decisions on ice. NHL coaches won't like it and he'll have to adjust. I'm sure he can, but how dynamic will he be when he'll have to make the safe play instead of the flashy one... All I'm saying is it's not a good idea to compare the "level of dynamic" of a player from the CHL to one in the NHL.

Brian Campbell the NHLer his less dynamic than Morgan Rielly the CHLer, but Campbell the CHLer was more dynamic than Rielly the CHLer, IMO.
Not really. Like I said before, Rielly adapts to the type of game he's playing. If you watched him in the summer series on international ice, he was much more conservative. He rarely took the puck up on a solo mission and he usually elected to pass it up to the forwards. Even in the Super series there are a lot of times when he makes the safe play to his forwards. In moose jaw he is mainly responsible for the offense which is why he plays such a high risk game, but his ability to adapt is what will make him easily adjusted to the NHL.

Article Kevin Prendergast head scout for Hockey Canada on Rielly:

http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/inde...ews&Itemid=860

“Morgan is one of those kids that just enjoys the game and he wants the puck and when he's got it, something is going to happen with it,” explained Prendergast. “We took him over to Russia for that four game tournament and he was one of our best defenceman.

He just adapts to the game that's going on and when you're playing on the bigger ice surface with a bit extra room over there, he just excels at that.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

right now Hamilton but give Rielly that extra year and we will see

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:24 PM
reffree

Quote:
Not really. Like I said before, Rielly adapts to the type of game he's playing. If you watched him in the summer series on international ice, he was much more conservative. He rarely took the puck up on a solo mission and he usually elected to pass it up to the forwards. Even in the Super series there are a lot of times when he makes the safe play to his forwards. In moose jaw he is mainly responsible for the offense which is why he plays such a high risk game, but his ability to adapt is what will make him easily adjusted to the NHL.

Article Kevin Prendergast head scout for Hockey Canada on Rielly:

http://www.discovermoosejaw.com/inde...ews&Itemid=860

“Morgan is one of those kids that just enjoys the game and he wants the puck and when he's got it, something is going to happen with it,” explained Prendergast. “We took him over to Russia for that four game tournament and he was one of our best defenceman.

He just adapts to the game that's going on and when you're playing on the bigger ice surface with a bit extra room over there, he just excels at that.
Well, I based my high risk comment on his play in the super series, I didn't saw him with the Warriors. We probably just have a different definition of high risk.

Old
11-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Well, I based my high risk comment on his play in the super series, I didn't saw him with the Warriors. We probably just have a different definition of high risk.
I guess you are kind of right. He made some safe plays but he also made high risk plays too. But I think the reason he was more high risk was because the team was struggling offensively so he had to take more chances, but your point still makes sense. There has to be less of that in his game at the next level.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
reffree

Quote:
I guess you are kind of right. He made some safe plays but he also made high risk plays too. But I think the reason he was more high risk was because the team was struggling offensively so he had to take more chances, but your point still makes sense. There has to be less of that in his game at the next level.
And I'm sure he will adjust fine, I just don't like when some say CHLer x his more dynamic than NHLer y, particulary when talking about defensmen, because dmen have no room for those kind of play with the coaching in the NHL.

Anyway, I see we agree, I'm a Bruins fans and hope he developp to his max potential, he was my favorite before the draft.

Old
11-20-2012, 12:11 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
And I'm sure he will adjust fine, I just don't like when some say CHLer x his more dynamic than NHLer y, particulary when talking about defensmen, because dmen have no room for those kind of play with the coaching in the NHL.

Anyway, I see we agree, I'm a Bruins fans and hope he developp to his max potential, he was my favorite before the draft.
Agreed. It's really hard to compare junior hockey to NHL because one is a game against boys and the other is a game against men. I'm a leafs fan even though I voted Hamilton as the better player on this thread (atleast right now). I like Rielly more though. But hopefully they both reach their potential.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:11 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I'd go with Hamilton quite easily. Will be interesting to see how both players transition into the pro game.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Dougie Hamilton but Rielly from what I saw will be a solid NHLer for the Leafs as well

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:44 PM
svat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Just saying, but you could easily make a case for Rielly. I mean, everytime they have played together or against the same competition (All Canada-Russia series), Rielly has impressed much much more than Hamilton. Sample size I know, but you could make a case.
not just sample size issues, but a clear bias issue as well.

svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 06:53 PM
JKsilverstick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
not just sample size issues, but a clear bias issue as well.
Well no. That particular point is a widely accepted fact.

What it means is up to the individual.

JKsilverstick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

I was watching the Team Canada rewind yesteday. What do you think of a Morgan Rielly Kris Russell comparison. I'd say that's worth looking into.

Russell has the better shot but Rielly might end up being the better playmaker.

Old
11-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Lowe in Oil

Hamilton and it's not even close.

Lowe in Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Jani8

Hamilton AINEC.