HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Dougie Hamilton vs Morgan Rielly

View Poll Results: Who would you take?
Dougie Hamilton 316 64.23%
Morgan Rielly 138 28.05%
too close to call 38 7.72%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
nothing like a hf troll..

I doubt you watch much of any player to even make an unbiased opinion.
Well, I guess if you doubt it, it must be false. You got me. I thought we were debating which one is the better prospect Rielly or Hamilton. So I brought in a list to see what an unbiased TSN thought of Rielly and Hamilton. Feel free to argue against them if you wish. It really won't change the fact. Maybe you can write them a letter and file a complaint. After all, you know Rielly a lot more than they do, and you can give them an unbiased answer.

Last edited by Atomos2: 12-15-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:58 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
And yet, you are a lowly fan who probably knows next to nothing about Rielly and Button has been watching him since he was 16 and is hired to be the official NHL scout of TSN. He was prolly laughing at you too while receiving a cheque from TSN.

But I get it, we can just forget about Button's scouting and just go with your ignorant skepticism
Craig. Button. By all means, keep holding that up as your shield.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:21 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Craig. Button. By all means, keep holding that up as your shield.
I don't trust Button, that much. However ur warranted skepticism but foundationless laughter doesn't give me much comfort or information either. If you have a previous history with button or an example of him botching a prospect's potential then I'm willing to understand, but laughter just for lack of respect with no basis, doesn't really tell me anything.

I think Hamilton's the better prospect at the moment. Mostly because of development and statistics as well as physical attributes such as size and reach and the fact that he can jump up seamlessly into the play. However, I think talent-wise Rielly is better in terms of skating, vision and hands. Playmaking, I'd say they are similar.

Old
12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
I don't trust Button, that much. However ur warranted skepticism but foundationless laughter doesn't give me much comfort or information either. If you have a previous history with button or an example of him botching a prospect's potential then I'm willing to understand, but laughter just for lack of respect with no basis, doesn't really tell me anything.

I think Hamilton's the better prospect at the moment. Mostly because of development and statistics as well as physical attributes such as size and reach and the fact that he can jump up seamlessly into the play. However, I think talent-wise Rielly is better in terms of skating, vision and hands. Playmaking, I'd say they are similar.
I don't really have to tell you anything. I'm sure you'll form your own opinion on it ( which I see you already have ). I've seen enough of Craig Button's lists to know not to put any stock in them.

Rielly is a fine prospect and easily among the top 5 best defensive dman prospects. But I think it would be more fair to Rielly if he was compared to players in his own draft year and not a prospect in a different draft year.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 05:34 PM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█████★█████╲

vCash: 120
Over 67% of the votes towards Hamilton

This is closer than most people think.

Very debatable, but i'm leaning towards Rielly.

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:14 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Umm, I think it has more to do than half a season. It's about the fact that Rielly's injury didn't hinder his progression. It's about his tools and his assets. It's about his potential. This half season stats wise hasn't been too impressive. It's about the tools that may prove to be very valuable at the NHL level.

I don't fully agree with that list, but I do believe that list is in the realm of possibility. And only sceptics who haven't seen Rielly play can refute that based solely on the fact that it looks unlikely. I haven't seen much of Rielly so I can't honestly say that the list is correct, but neither can you disprove it. Button is the only one who has enough access to see these prospects, so whatever you do or say can't change that fact.
Some random on hfboards doesn't fully agree with CRAIG BUTTON'S list. : laugh:

Priceless.

ErikKarlsson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Interactif

Craig Button is an excellent scout(not GM), because he doesn't conform to standard lists doesn't mean he is bad. I know this is the norm on these type of boards to knock him or anyone that puts a list out there, there is a certain ridicule because scouting is a subjective opinion. Since he has joined TSN, he has been pretty spot on in his analysis. Including calling Mathieson his sleeper pick last year, picked in the 1st rd.

Always interesting reading posters bash someone that watches more junior hockey than probably the entire board combined here.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 09:46 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Some random on hfboards doesn't fully agree with CRAIG BUTTON'S list. : laugh:

Priceless.
Some random on hfboards laughs : laugh:

worthless.

Seriously though, are you gonna talk about Hamilton or Rielly or just talk about more leaf and sens arguments because this isn't the thread for that. Button clearly expressed to theworld who he thought was the better of the two.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:02 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Some random on hfboards laughs : laugh:

worthless.

Seriously though, are you gonna talk about Hamilton or Rielly or just talk about more leaf and sens arguments because this isn't the thread for that. Button clearly expressed to theworld who he thought was the better of the two.
Has nothing to do with Sens vs Leafs. I just don't get how Rielly is somehow ranked higher then Yakupov, Galchenyuk, and Murray just 6 months after all 3 of them were selected ahead of him at the draft.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
Has nothing to do with Sens vs Leafs. I just don't get how Rielly is somehow ranked higher then Yakupov, Galchenyuk, and Murray just 6 months after all 3 of them were selected ahead of him at the draft.
You're right. Thank you for stating your opinion rather than just laughing. Rielly shouldn't be ranked higher than the others, especially not Yakupov. Atleast, I personally don't he think should, but I haven't really had a good viewing of Rielly so I'm not sure. It makes sense to be skeptical, I am too, even moreso because he's a leaf prospect so I have more to lose, but Button most likely has had a better viewing of him than me. But I am taking his list with a grain of salt. At the draft he had Dumba number 2 overall which tells you something right there.

Old
12-16-2012, 10:44 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
You're right. Thank you for stating your opinion rather than just laughing. Rielly shouldn't be ranked higher than the others, especially not Yakupov. Atleast, I personally don't he think should, but I haven't really had a good viewing of Rielly so I'm not sure. It makes sense to be skeptical, I am too, even moreso because he's a leaf prospect so I have more to lose, but Button most likely has had a better viewing of him than me. But I am taking his list with a grain of salt. At the draft he had Dumba number 2 overall which tells you something right there.
Exactly Button had Dumba rated that high and now Dumba is completely out of his top 30. His lists seem to be erratic and well just don't make much sense. Sure Dumba hasn't exactly impressed but still. We need a Bob Mackenzie list to end the debate.

Old
12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Bomber0104

Pretty sure Craig Button doesn't watch junior hockey.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Button is irrelephant. If hes such a good scout why is he working for a tv channel?

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Button is irrelephant. If hes such a good scout why is he working for a tv channel?

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:53 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
Stupid poll. Hamilton without a doubt.
This

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 03:59 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
I watch Button scout all the time.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Dougie Hamilton. Should have gone at least 5th overall after Larsson.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Interactif

Today's game by Morgan Rielly, 1 goal and 2 assists against Slovakia, shows just how off this poll is. More than that it's how he played when Canada was down 0-2, he was the catalyst along with Ouellette and Schiefle in leading Canada back against the trap Slovakian team that almost upset the Russians. Marvellous player with talent and smarts.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Trap Jesus

^Rielly did play a good game, but all three of his points were pretty lucky. Both secondary assists were simple cross-ice passes from the blueline to his d-partner and the goal was a bounce off a Slovak defender. Again, he did play well, but lets not talk about those 3 points like it was some dominant offensive performance.

And it's 1 game...

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
^Rielly did play a good game, but all three of his points were pretty lucky. Both secondary assists were simple cross-ice passes from the blueline to his d-partner and the goal was a bounce off a Slovak defender. Again, he did play well, but lets not talk about those 3 points like it was some dominant offensive performance.

And it's 1 game...
This is often a misconception of physical and understated intelligence dominance. Rielly has elite ice vision, he's also got offensive imagination. This is where he and Ouellet excel whereas Hamilton and Murphy do not, when Spott gave them 1st PP time and more ice time, Team Canada was far more effective. I made this comparison before, but Rielly thinks and plays the game like Brian Leetch. I don't see Hamilton in this class, Hamilton is going to be fine in the NHL, but Rielly who should have been credited with an assist in game 1, he was on TSN stats, is showing just what type of player he can be with 4 points in 2 games. Slovakia are no slouches. But we will see as the games get tougher for Canada.

Old
12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Interactif

Quote:

And it's 1 game...
Yes it is one game, but really going back to the Summer and subway series where Rielly and Hamilton played on the same team, Rielly was better. Not from what I say, but Ferraro, Mckenzie all said he was a player that stood out. This isn't really a surprise to some. It's more than 1 game.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:17 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:

And it's 1 game...
He's lucky he completed a pass and it resulted in a goal? You could argue that all assists are luck because it depends on the other player putting the puck in the net. It's not about luck, it's about putting the puck in the right situations to create scoring chances.

You're right, it's only been one game and its too early to tell, but speaking as a Canadian fan, Hamilton doesn't look like the offensive stud I thought he'd be. Neither has Rielly for that matter but this is a good start for him. But belittling the points as well as the timing and importance of those points is (for lack of a better word) insulting. Rielly produced when Canada needed him the most and turned the tide of the game with two of his three points. It's only one game, but its good to know he has that ability.

Old
12-28-2012, 03:49 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Yes it is one game, but really going back to the Summer and subway series where Rielly and Hamilton played on the same team, Rielly was better. Not from what I say, but Ferraro, Mckenzie all said he was a player that stood out. This isn't really a surprise to some. It's more than 1 game.
I think some people can't stand it when Hockey experts such as McKenzie and Ferraro who know more then us say Rielly has played better then Hamilton based on the fact he was selected by Toronto. Had any other team drafted Rielly and he got the exact same talk during the Canada/Russia Challenege during the summer and Subway Super Series, this isn't an issue and no one compares him with Dougie Hamilton.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I think some people can't stand it when Hockey experts such as McKenzie and Ferraro who know more then us say Rielly has played better then Hamilton based on the fact he was selected by Toronto. Had any other team drafted Rielly and he got the exact same talk during the Canada/Russia Challenege during the summer and Subway Super Series, this isn't an issue and no one compares him with Dougie Hamilton.
I agree.

However the reason people rip on Reilly, this thread is a perfect example... 1 game played and you have a Leaf fan to bump this, basically sticking tongue out "na na boo boo".... doesn't really help the situation wouldn't you agree?

If the overly vocal Leaf fans didn't constantly have to thump their chest and put other players down in order to elevate their own players, I don't think you would see as much backlash.

As for WJC, both players in my opinion haven't played to their full potential. Reilly has been getting better game to game, so is Hamilton. If you're cheering for Canada, cheer for both players... no need to knock one just to make the other look better.

Both look to be future studs.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Everyone in hockey including Hockey people in the business to fans respect Mckenzie, Ferraro is one of the best new colour commentators to come into the business in recent years. I don't think anyone would disagree with either statements.

This has nothing to do with a Leafs prospect, I have been critical of Leafs prospects/players in the past. Right now I am being complimentary to one that deserves some recognition. If Mckenzie and Ferraro notice, then it's time this board does too.