HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting started again, 15 yrs and 100 lbs later...

Old
10-15-2012, 10:18 AM
phonymahoney

vCash: 500
Getting started again, 15 yrs and 100 lbs later...

Hey guys, I've only lurked here in the past, so please excuse any poor formatting, etc.

I used to play roller/street hockey very, very frequently, and ice occasionally. I stopped about 15 years ago and want to get back in the game. My biggest problem, I'm assuming, will be finding gear that fits since I'm a pretty round 5'8/280. I keep saying I'm goin to drop the weight so I can play, and I have lost 30 pounds recently, but I would rather get playing ASAP while continuing to work on thinning out.

So, most of my weight is in my lower belly/hip areas, and I have chunky thighs. Basically, I'm worried about pants fitting me correctly and getting skates that will hold me up.

Any suggestions to the fat not-exactly beginner?

Thanks!

phonymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First thing I'd do is get checked out by a doctor. At that height/weight, you'll want the okay to get on the ice and get your heart rate up that high. You may need to monitor it. I only say that because I've known overweight guys who were really active and had heart attacks and even died. We've had a couple guys in my league who left behind young families. Better safe than sorry!

What's your waist size for dress pants? If you're over 42-44 inches, you'll probably need to try Tacklas, who accommodate larger gentlemen. They make really good pants for up to (and even over) a 50" waist.

Otherwise I believe most XL pants should fit up to 42-44" waists. For me I wear 38-40" dress pants and I find most large pants fit fine (although long as I'm only 5'8).

For skates you need to get them fit, and that requires a professional. You can check the big skate thread because it's above my pay grade.

But I have seen some guys lose some weight playing hockey if they have their diets in check and have a good support system. I think that's key really.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:14 AM
phonymahoney

Thanks!

I've been checked out, my doctor has no issue with me going out there and busting my ass.
The pants are/were my main concern, and it sounds like Tackla's got something for me. Hockey Monkey recently opened a store near me, so I'll have to go check it out.

I'm always paranoid that the skate fitting professionals are not professionals and that I'm good to bake and wear a skate that isn't correct. Am I crazy?

Going to* silly autocorrect!

Last edited by phonymahoney: 10-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old
10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonymahoney View Post
Thanks!

I've been checked out, my doctor has no issue with me going out there and busting my ass.
The pants are/were my main concern, and it sounds like Tackla's got something for me. Hockey Monkey recently opened a store near me, so I'll have to go check it out.

I'm always paranoid that the skate fitting professionals are not professionals and that I'm good to bake and wear a skate that isn't correct. Am I crazy?
It's the responsibility of the fitter to recommend a few skates within your budget that you should try while pointing out the differences of each and how you might feel in them. Some of the responsibility then falls upon yourself to judge whether or not the skate is snug on all parts of the foot and is comfortable.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

AIR, what would you say are good things to look for in a fitter?

For me, it was a place that measured my foot, looked at the arch and shape, and made recommendations based on experience. You might have to shop around to find a place that's good like that.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:02 PM
phonymahoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
AIR, what would you say are good things to look for in a fitter?

For me, it was a place that measured my foot, looked at the arch and shape, and made recommendations based on experience. You might have to shop around to find a place that's good like that.
I'm in Boston, so there are a TON of hockey shops around; I'm relatively confident that if I'm not happy at one shop, finding another that's worth it won't be a huge issue, you know? I'm just hoping to be fitted properly, because I have kinda weird/flat feet.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonymahoney View Post
I'm in Boston, so there are a TON of hockey shops around; I'm relatively confident that if I'm not happy at one shop, finding another that's worth it won't be a huge issue, you know? I'm just hoping to be fitted properly, because I have kinda weird/flat feet.
Try Sports Etc. in Arlington on Mass ave.

I have always had good luck with them since I was a kid (I am 30 now).

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:41 PM
phonymahoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoe82 View Post
Try Sports Etc. in Arlington on Mass ave.

I have always had good luck with them since I was a kid (I am 30 now).
Thanks! I'll have to check them out. The last time I was at that store was the late 90s - my go-to was always Steve & Tony Lucci's in Medford Square (which is PureHockey of Marchand commercial fame now).

Old
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
panner20

My story was somewhat similar to yours. I was mostly a roller-hockey player growing up in NYC, but also played some ice (Pickup only) in my 20's when I moved to PA for school. I stopped playing altogether for 10 years (ages 26 to 36). At 5'8" I probably weighed about 30-40 lbs more (roughly 190 to about 230) when I made my comeback. Long story short, I'm 43 now and I've been playing like "a man possessed" for the last 6-7years. I play Men's League (Over-30 Division, which is between A and B skill wise) and I've even been recruited to play on a second Team in the A-Division this upcoming season. Since my comeback I have never gone more than 12 days in a row without playing for almost 7 years, I take a lot of pride in that streak!! I absolutely love that I got a second chance, and I have definitely made the most of the opportunity. I've won a couple of Men's League Championships & played in Tournaments from Florida up to Canada. I have met some of the coolest, greatest friends/teammates thru Hockey. I still have weight to lose, but I feel like I am in great hockey shape for my age. What I've lost in speed, skill & endurance... I more than makeup for in passion, wisdom & enthusiasm!! :-) I'm basically pretty bad now, but I'm a good team guy, and noboby has more fun than me out there (which can be contageous)... I think that's why I get asked to play on good teams. BEST OF LUCK to You! I think you'll do great. Sorry this post is so long, I just wanted you to know that it can be done! Keep us updated!

panner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah you meet some REAL quality people through hockey. My team is co-ed and I met my girlfriend through a teammate. Every fall it's cool to catch up with all the guys you haven't seen all summer. Post-game beers are fun too.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:25 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Cool, yeah man get back out there and give it ur all. Cheers!

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:00 AM
panner20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah you meet some REAL quality people through hockey. My team is co-ed and I met my girlfriend through a teammate. Every fall it's cool to catch up with all the guys you haven't seen all summer. Post-game beers are fun too.
Yeah, I totally agree... I hate to stereotype and describe large groups of people with broad strokes... but it has definitely been my experience, that Hockey Players for the most part are very "high-character" people. I know so many fun loving guys, that party hard and really get your back when the chips are down. We have so much fun hanging out after games, tailgaiting, doing fundraiser events, team parties, playing in holiday/alumni games, happy hours, watchng the holiday classic & big playoff games & playing in travel tournaments. Hockey is such a big part of my life now, and the people I've met & the friends I've made has been such an unexpected added bonus. I feel very blessed! :-)

panner20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can totally see some hockey clubs being like a PG-13 version of the Sons of Anarchy motorcycle clubs Mine isn't that involved but it does feel like an extended family...known the guys for six years.

Old
10-20-2012, 12:24 AM
phonymahoney

Thanks for the advice, guys. Gonna hit the rink for public skating on my lunch hour for a little bit, then sign myself up. Psyched!

Old
10-21-2012, 01:44 AM
reecardo

Skate

Skate as much as you can. Drag your kids to open skates, stick & pucks, open hockey, pond hockey. Skate hard for a minute, then take a two minute break. Repeat over and over. Skate a minimum of five times a week. Eventually you will be able to do it for two or three hours straight. The weight melts away slowly, as you are adding muscle mass quickly.

reecardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 12:35 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Eventually you will be able to do it for two or three hours straight. The weight melts away slowly, as you are adding muscle mass quickly.
I am in a similar situation - baby weight that just doesn't want to come off despite trips to the gym and diet. About 10 years ago I lost 50 pounds through skating but got it all back with pregnancy. Since I've started playing hockey I'm down 20 pounds and not minding the exercise at all. It seems to come off slowly, but I noticed today that my calves right now are about the size/shape that they were when I had been doing speedskating for about a year. I skate more now with hockey than I did before, so that makes sense, I guess. The scale doesn't always show the real progress, since adding muscle is going to keep the numbers on the scale from changing as quickly as one might hope.

I've also found that my endurance is way up from when I first started playing. I still get really gassed when we play 4 on 4 with only 1 sub, but for a regular game with lines, I have no trouble giving it 100% and then coming back and doing it repeatedly throughout the course of the game.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Aucoin11*

go to a million stick and pucks and watch howtohockey on youtube. and more importantly than anything else. don't be a baby. if some random person doesn't want to talk to you or some goalie doesn't want to face your shots, just go do something else and learn how to play hockey before throwing a big uproar.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by panner20 View Post
My story was somewhat similar to yours. I was mostly a roller-hockey player growing up in NYC, but also played some ice (Pickup only) in my 20's when I moved to PA for school. I stopped playing altogether for 10 years (ages 26 to 36). At 5'8" I probably weighed about 30-40 lbs more (roughly 190 to about 230) when I made my comeback. Long story short, I'm 43 now and I've been playing like "a man possessed" for the last 6-7years. I play Men's League (Over-30 Division, which is between A and B skill wise) and I've even been recruited to play on a second Team in the A-Division this upcoming season. Since my comeback I have never gone more than 12 days in a row without playing for almost 7 years, I take a lot of pride in that streak!! I absolutely love that I got a second chance, and I have definitely made the most of the opportunity. I've won a couple of Men's League Championships & played in Tournaments from Florida up to Canada. I have met some of the coolest, greatest friends/teammates thru Hockey. I still have weight to lose, but I feel like I am in great hockey shape for my age. What I've lost in speed, skill & endurance... I more than makeup for in passion, wisdom & enthusiasm!! :-) I'm basically pretty bad now, but I'm a good team guy, and noboby has more fun than me out there (which can be contageous)... I think that's why I get asked to play on good teams. BEST OF LUCK to You! I think you'll do great. Sorry this post is so long, I just wanted you to know that it can be done! Keep us updated!
Just wanted to say your post is inspirational. I stopped at 22 after playing PA club college. Took 16 yrs off and have been back at it for the past year and a half( just turned 40). It has been painfull and frustrating for a lot of that time but well worth it. A ton of injuries including a sprained ACL and a broken right collarbone have delayed my progress but I'm in the gym and on the ice regularly trying to be the best I can. Good luck to the op and all the older guys getting back into it.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Guffaw

Some will disagree,but this mentality has helped me compete against guys much younger, more experienced, and a lot more skilled. Be smart and outwork them. Don't give anyone too much respect. I don't care who you played for, if you're going to beat me you're gonna work for it and know you we're in a game.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote