HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bent or crooked runner/holder?

Old
04-26-2012, 12:36 PM
neksys

vCash: 500
Bent or crooked runner/holder?

I'm wondering if I have a bent or improperly installed blade, but I'm hoping for some way to be able to tell. Which sounds dumb, but it there's a problem, its subtle.

Basically, my left foot is my weak foot. But since getting new skates (EQ5s) I've been having tons of trouble. Even left-turning cross-overs are damn near impossible.

The reason I think it might be a blade problem (rather than a sucking at skating problem, which to be fair I do) is that I have a lot of trouble keeping that foot straight. I either get wobbling, or I have to force the skate straight.

As an example, if I am just gliding on one foot, I have no problem right, but my left foot is tricky, and when I can actually go straight, I can hear the skate scraping a bit.

Is there some way to test this out? I'm going to rest the blade on a flat surface when I get home which should help rule out obvious bends, but how can I test whether the actual holder is installed straight-on?

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 02:02 PM
AIREAYE

Take it to a shop, eyeball it.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Saucy Dangles

Its quite possible. You'd be surprised how bad some of the QC is now that everything is either made in mexico or china with hockey equipment (even the higher to highest end stuff that was once made in canada is now made oversea's). I saw a brand new pair of 11k's out of the box from 2010-11 with a holder that was not only slightly mounted @ an improper angle (causing the steel to bow slightly), but it was also mounted too far inside (towards inner arch). Needless to say, I always check any skate I would sell or purchase for myself for cosmetic defects, as it has become more common now as hockey equipment is now really heavily mass produced, and by people who don't know shat about what they're making/assembling. The saddest thing about all of the oversea's productions was so they could not only meet demand but to reduce overall cost, which in turn you would think would reduce the overall sales cost to the consumer...not so, as evidence every time you gaze @ that wall of equipment and drool about wanting those new NXG's or 20k skates. Its only gotten more expensive to buy equipment that now has a tendency to be half ass quality in comparison to 10 years ago (when middle to upper quality gear was made in Canada and Europe). I find it hilarious that skates now retail for $800, yet when you look @ them there isn't more then $250 worth of materials (maybe) so in essence the manufacture feels there is $400 worth of patent/proprietary technology they must recover every time they sell a pair of skates. You'd be astonished on how much the actual retailer makes on Skates (anywhere from $75-150 pending) when they sell them (not nearly enough...), its almost not worth it, unless you are a big buyer who can fork down the $$$ and have a good account so you can buy allot on credit.

Last edited by Saucy Dangles: 04-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Saucy Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 06:57 AM
dpixel8

I have Reebok 7K's and my actual buddy who owns the shop noticed it when sharpening one time. It's the blade, not the holder. He has a tool that VERY gently SLIGHTLY bends it back if it gets bad. He's pretty much told me that as long as it doesn't bother me (it doesn't, so it must be very slight), I should be ok but that I'll end up having to replace the holders later in the skate's life. Sucks you spend that much on skates and then they don't even come from the factory in perfect condition. But welcome to today's manufacturing world.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Fanned On It

Dudes I have been noticing SO many "warped" blades coming in for skate-sharpenings and it really pisses me off because it makes it harder to get the edges even. Some of these skates are brand new, and it seems to happen most with Bauer's new skates. Pretty crazy as I never noticed it in the past. Certain shops have blade straighteners that I'm assuming work like a vice-grip in that they apply pressure to both sides of the blade/runner and straighten it out. We need to get one of these asap lol.

Anyway, you can tell if a blade is bowed/warped/crooked just by looking down the length of it. Like hold the skate in your hands with the blade up and just look down the length of it like you would if you were checking if the edges were even.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 08:23 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I'm wondering if I have a bent or improperly installed blade, but I'm hoping for some way to be able to tell. Which sounds dumb, but it there's a problem, its subtle.

Basically, my left foot is my weak foot. But since getting new skates (EQ5s) I've been having tons of trouble. Even left-turning cross-overs are damn near impossible.

The reason I think it might be a blade problem (rather than a sucking at skating problem, which to be fair I do) is that I have a lot of trouble keeping that foot straight. I either get wobbling, or I have to force the skate straight.

As an example, if I am just gliding on one foot, I have no problem right, but my left foot is tricky, and when I can actually go straight, I can hear the skate scraping a bit.

Is there some way to test this out? I'm going to rest the blade on a flat surface when I get home which should help rule out obvious bends, but how can I test whether the actual holder is installed straight-on?
I had the same problem with a new pair of skates, and when I took them off to figure out what the issue was, I found that the holder was about 20-25 degrees off. You need to hold the skate from the rear and check if the boot, holder and blade are perfectly straight and in alignment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28464516@N02/7121238591/

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 04-28-2012 at 08:34 AM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
AIREAYE

That's Graf for you...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2012, 11:22 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That's Graf for you...
I cannot speak highly enough about Graf, their customer service, fit and skate quality.

To make a long story short, they refunded my money for sharpened, used skates and were very good to work with. I ended up purchasing a second pair of G70s - which are perfect, by the way - and still strongly recommend Grafs to any and all players.

Graf skates are superbly made, and I would venture they have no higher defect rate than any other company. This was merely a situation that fit in the situation with what the OP described.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
Dudes I have been noticing SO many "warped" blades coming in for skate-sharpenings and it really pisses me off because it makes it harder to get the edges even. Some of these skates are brand new, and it seems to happen most with Bauer's new skates.
Funny, a friend of mine bought a pair of Bauer 180's a while back, skated twice on em, knew they were fuxored and took em back. Turns out the holder on the right skate was mounted improperly, which bent the blade. Bauer replaced them. Didn't even want the shop trying to fix them. Shop said it wasn't the first time they've had that problem with Bauer this year.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 07:02 PM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post

Sorry to dig up an old post but I'm having this same problem.. Any input on this? Checked everything I can think of and still can't figure it out.. I have pretty new Graf Supra 735's..

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Stanello

Just look down the length of the runner. If it is warped, it will be very obvious.

I had the same issue with a pair of Graf 705s. I ended up switching to Tuuk LS2 runners/holders.

Stanello is offline   Reply With Quote