HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When (CBA/Lockout) XXVII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
  #1
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 11,639
vCash: 500
We'll Meet Again, Don't Know Where, Don't Know When (CBA/Lockout) XXVII

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.

Keep smiling through,
Just like you always do,
Till the blue skies chase those dark clouds, far away. -Vera Lynn

Prior thread here:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1282073

mouser is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:15 AM
  #2
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,220
vCash: 500
TO RECAP:
- Both sides suck.
- One probably sucks more. Consensus as a group still not yet reached as to which one.
- Deal still not done.
- Alcohol sales doing surprisingly well.


Discuss.

BonkTastic is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:26 AM
  #3
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
Sunday really showed me the hurdle that needs to be jumped for this thing to move forward. When i heard the quote from Bettman "The time for give and take is over", it's no wonder the PA walked away at that point.

Mind you, Sid's assertion that it's not broken isn't entirely accurate. The 5% variance is really the only thing the NHL should be going after. The league shouldn't be dictating how the players get thier piece of the pie on top of cutting the size of that piece. I don't blame the PA for being a tad upset.

If the league brings a little more cash to the make whole and relaxes on it's contracting rights, this thing gets done in a week. Balls in your court NHL.

SidTheKid8787 is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:26 AM
  #4
ARed
Registered User
 
ARed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
"..but I know we'll meet again to chat C-B-A"

Anyways, with Cowen out for the season and Ottawa's chances diminished, I'm even less eager to be strung along in this whole thing.

ARed is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:27 AM
  #5
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Angband via Utumno
Posts: 3,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day.

Keep smiling through,
Just like you always do,
Till the blue skies chase those dark clouds, far away. -Vera Lynn

Prior thread here:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1282073
"Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? How she always said that we would meet again some sunny day?" -R. Waters

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:29 AM
  #6
HeliDevil
Legendary
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,311
vCash: 500
I'm still optimistic about them getting a deal done. I think if we lose December, the season is over though. Please get this deal done within the next week. Please.

HeliDevil is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:32 AM
  #7
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,296
vCash: 500
Probably B.S. but what the hey, we need some shred of positive news.
https://twitter.com/BaichwalABC7/sta...07546802769920
Quote:
Sources in Chicago tell me NHL lockout will be settled in time to get skating Dec. 2. And the Winter Classic at Ann Arbor isn't dead.
He's just a local sports anchor in Chicago, so I'm not sure how much merit or stock should be put into what he is reporting. Perhaps his source is the Ghost of Bill Wirtz.

Ziggy Stardust is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 01:35 AM
  #8
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
He should've left out the winter classic bit and it would've been a tad more believable.

SidTheKid8787 is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 02:00 AM
  #9
Freudian
Patty likes beef
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 29,222
vCash: 50
I hope this last round of messages that are all over the place (can get a deal done quickly if negotiations go right/don't see a path forward) is the last round of them showing off their feathers so we'll all be impressed before they get ready to sit down and get this done.

The one cloud I can see is that Bettman's somewhat uncompromising stance, which is part of the negotiation game, may galvanize the players. Many of them already have a distrust of Bettman and now they are seeing the guy being uncompromising. All it does is make Fehr's life much easier.

Much like with the NHLs first proposal in July, I'm not sure Bettman is reading the situation as well as he should. The players are competitive and proud. Give them something and the league will most likely get what they need out of this. I know it's probably not in his dna to leave some leverage unused, but it might be the smart thing to do.

Freudian is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 02:08 AM
  #10
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I hope this last round of messages that are all over the place (can get a deal done quickly if negotiations go right/don't see a path forward) is the last round of them showing off their feathers so we'll all be impressed before they get ready to sit down and get this done.

The one cloud I can see is that Bettman's somewhat uncompromising stance, which is part of the negotiation game, may galvanize the players. Many of them already have a distrust of Bettman and now they are seeing the guy being uncompromising. All it does is make Fehr's life much easier.

Much like with the NHLs first proposal in July, I'm not sure Bettman is reading the situation as well as he should. The players are competitive and proud. Give them something and the league will most likely get what they need out of this. I know it's probably not in his dna to leave some leverage unused, but it might be the smart thing to do.
Absolutely right Freudian. I really don't see Fehr standing in the way, if the players see a fair deal on the table either.

The players know they are giving back going down to 50% from 57% and can't understand how losing on everything else justifies signing on the dotted line.

On the other hand the NHL has to take the thing the players HAVE settled on and run with it. You're going to get you're 50/50. Now make it worth it for the players to put pen to paper.

SidTheKid8787 is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 02:36 AM
  #11
Disgruntled Observer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Sunday really showed me the hurdle that needs to be jumped for this thing to move forward. When i heard the quote from Bettman "The time for give and take is over", it's no wonder the PA walked away at that point.

Mind you, Sid's assertion that it's not broken isn't entirely accurate. The 5% variance is really the only thing the NHL should be going after. The league shouldn't be dictating how the players get thier piece of the pie on top of cutting the size of that piece. I don't blame the PA for being a tad upset.

If the league brings a little more cash to the make whole and relaxes on it's contracting rights, this thing gets done in a week. Balls in your court NHL.
But the nhlpa keep telling the owners what to do with their money (increased revenue sharing).
Why can't the owners play that right back at them?

Disgruntled Observer* is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 02:50 AM
  #12
Chubros
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
"Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? How she always said that we would meet again some sunny day?" -R. Waters
Hockey, what has become of you?
Does anybody else in here,
Feel the way fans do?

Chubros is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 03:09 AM
  #13
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,953
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Sunday really showed me the hurdle that needs to be jumped for this thing to move forward. When i heard the quote from Bettman "The time for give and take is over", it's no wonder the PA walked away at that point.

Mind you, Sid's assertion that it's not broken isn't entirely accurate. The 5% variance is really the only thing the NHL should be going after. The league shouldn't be dictating how the players get thier piece of the pie on top of cutting the size of that piece. I don't blame the PA for being a tad upset.

If the league brings a little more cash to the make whole and relaxes on it's contracting rights, this thing gets done in a week. Balls in your court NHL.
I believe the contracting changes by the NHL closes holes in how players/management can go outside the pie... not how they get their portion...

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 03:23 AM
  #14
RippedOnNitro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
So when can we expect the announcement of the cancellation of the December games?

This Friday? Or maybe somewhere next week? Can't remember the date of which the November games were canceled...

RippedOnNitro is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 03:33 AM
  #15
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8,973
vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippedOnNitro View Post
So when can we expect the announcement of the cancellation of the December games?

This Friday? Or maybe somewhere next week? Can't remember the date of which the November games were canceled...
I predict Thursday Nov 22.

Can't play hockey Dec 1 without having a proper TC at that point.

T-Funk is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 03:38 AM
  #16
Kopistar
Registered User
 
Kopistar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,563
vCash: 500
I heard a radio host on AM 570 today say that Staples Center along with other arenas has been notified to be ready to get the ice going again soon.


I fully expect to see hockey again at some point in December

Kopistar is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:00 AM
  #17
RippedOnNitro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I predict Thursday Nov 22.

Can't play hockey Dec 1 without having a proper TC at that point.
OK thanks! That leaves a deadline on next Wednesday I think.

RippedOnNitro is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:02 AM
  #18
RippedOnNitro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
I heard a radio host on AM 570 today say that Staples Center along with other arenas has been notified to be ready to get the ice going again soon.


I fully expect to see hockey again at some point in December
Since I live in Europe I have no idea how credible AM 570 is...I will not get my hopes up.

RippedOnNitro is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:17 AM
  #19
SidTheKid8787
Registered User
 
SidTheKid8787's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I believe the contracting changes by the NHL closes holes in how players/management can go outside the pie... not how they get their portion...
Other than the 5% variance the NHL wants, i don't see how any of the other things help get the players to sign on the dotted line. Theres a reason some are reporting "Don't get too greedy Gary" in their headlines.

SidTheKid8787 is online now  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:29 AM
  #20
Aussie King
Registered User
 
Aussie King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RippedOnNitro View Post
Since I live in Europe I have no idea how credible AM 570 is...I will not get my hopes up.
Not very credible if their Laker rumours mean anything.

Aussie King is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:39 AM
  #21
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Fehr and his stalling act is getting old.
Who's going to pay the damages for the lockout? What a joke.
Players wanting to be payed for an 82 game schedule while playing 60 games ,maybe evn less.
All i can say is crushed them Gary.Lock it down for the season.Take as long as it needs.
I expect a lot of perple lost a lot of respect for Sid after his stupid comments.
The more players talk the worst they look.

mytor4* is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:44 AM
  #22
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,567
vCash: 500
Maybe its the sunny day here in Sweden, and admittedly I've been uncertain at times, but the first thing I wrote on the lockout back in the spring was that I just could not see a full season being lost. Why? What is the diffrence from last time?

I just don't think the owners have the same bargaining power. They could win so much more last time around. What on earth could they potentially win this time (if you look at the positions of the parties right now)? Like how much would 28/8 raise the value of a club in the NHL??? If you compare that with what they would loose if another full season was lost -- it just seem impossible that a majority of 30 owners would risk causing such tremendous harm to the league as a lost full season would mean.

Fehr is obviously counting on the NHL to not push the button. And I personally think he got damn good reason to play chicken with Bettman on these marginal issues, for one reason and one reason only, I just can't see Bettman pusing the button. From this perspective, I think the league should be pressured alot more than what they are. That might help them speed up things.

I mean, let me ask everyone, who thinks its the PA that must back down, this.

1. Do you think Bettman would cancel a full season on the Xm dollars that seperates the sides and 28/8 and arbitration? That he would walk into the BOG telling everyone from the owners of EDM to Minnesota, from NYR to Toronto, from Carolina to SJ, that he felt it was worth it to cancel a full season, which undoubtedly would cause the league tremendous harm, because of 28/8?

2. If you do not believe the above, do you think Fehr does? Or independantly of what you believe, what do you think Fehr's best guess is?

And Fehr is undoubtedly telling the players his best guess too.

So from a point of who media, us fans, should focus on pressuring, I definitely think the owners and Bettman should be targeted. Fehr will play chicken with him and not back down. Bettman must move first.

Ola is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:49 AM
  #23
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Other than the 5% variance the NHL wants, i don't see how any of the other things help get the players to sign on the dotted line. Theres a reason some are reporting "Don't get too greedy Gary" in their headlines.
That SOME being Mark Spector.
I don't think the NHL is worried about what Mark Spector thinks.

mytor4* is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 04:52 AM
  #24
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Maybe its the sunny day here in Sweden, and admittedly I've been uncertain at times, but the first thing I wrote on the lockout back in the spring was that I just could not see a full season being lost. Why? What is the diffrence from last time?

I just don't think the owners have the same bargaining power. They could win so much more last time around. What on earth could they potentially win this time (if you look at the positions of the parties right now)? Like how much would 28/8 raise the value of a club in the NHL??? If you compare that with what they would loose if another full season was lost -- it just seem impossible that a majority of 30 owners would risk causing such tremendous harm to the league as a lost full season would mean.

Fehr is obviously counting on the NHL to not push the button. And I personally think he got damn good reason to play chicken with Bettman on these marginal issues, for one reason and one reason only, I just can't see Bettman pusing the button. From this perspective, I think the league should be pressured alot more than what they are. That might help them speed up things.

I mean, let me ask everyone, who thinks its the PA that must back down, this.

1. Do you think Bettman would cancel a full season on the Xm dollars that seperates the sides and 28/8 and arbitration? That he would walk into the BOG telling everyone from the owners of EDM to Minnesota, from NYR to Toronto, from Carolina to SJ, that he felt it was worth it to cancel a full season, which undoubtedly would cause the league tremendous harm, because of 28/8?

2. If you do not believe the above, do you think Fehr does? Or independantly of what you believe, what do you think Fehr's best guess is?

And Fehr is undoubtedly telling the players his best guess too.

So from a point of who media, us fans, should focus on pressuring, I definitely think the owners and Bettman should be targeted. Fehr will play chicken with him and not back down. Bettman must move first.
And Bettman will move first very soon in the cancellation of more games.
Bettman has a mandate from the owners and he's doing exactly what they want.

mytor4* is offline  
Old
11-13-2012, 05:08 AM
  #25
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
I heard a radio host on AM 570 today say that Staples Center along with other arenas has been notified to be ready to get the ice going again soon.


I fully expect to see hockey again at some point in December

im sure all arena staff were told that just in case some miracle happens. I still doubt it will happen though, Fehr seems to be stalling

IceDaddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.