HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: Starting Jan 13, after players vote.

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2012, 04:22 PM
New Liskeard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Plus salary HAS to be going back to Vancouver in that deal .. No way Burke would take that contract on without sending something back
Finally some common sense.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
From the SN forums:

Take it for what it's worth. Probably nothing of course.
I would be suprised it would cost that much. 9 year cap hit of 5.3 for a goalie who will be 42 at the end of the deal, all while dealing the Leafs number 1 center? The Leafs need a goalie more than any other position by a country mile, and Lou would be a good choice, but not at that cost with all the risk.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Targets we should go for with flipping our defense for forwards
Zach Phillips: Freddy homeboy
Charlie Coyle: not realistic but who knows?
Jaden Schwartz: not that high on him tbh but he is very skilled, size lacking
Michael Latta: playmaker who is learning his D well, questionable upside for offense
Brandon Pirri: another one similar to latta but more how he can adjust to the NHL pace.
Mikael Backlund: all around playmaker.
Austin Watson: Everyone from the knights knows what he is capable of.
Marcus Kruger: another playmaker who can play all F and is a leader from what I recall.
Kyle Beach: You know him, you hate him but he has 8 goals in the AHL after last year injury.
Marc Mcneil: another one who can be well for us.
Boone Jenner: Bigg's partner in OHL, possible we can rob him?
Derrick Brassard: Behind Johansen, Dubinsky and Anisimov now?
Philip Danault: Love this guy, such a boss of a player, he is a guy you want when you want to build a winner.

And with that...im done. for now. These are ofc the younger guys who are centers or players i'd like, name some you think that can be realistically acquired.

Backlund would be a guy that I would love to have on my team and surprisingly, I think the Flames would actually give him up. I don't think he would command a lot in salary and the Leafs would be dealing from one of their strengths in defence to a team that has zero good defensive prospects.

Austin Watson would be amazing too. But I can't see Nashville trading the guy.

Old
12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I like Bailey a lot. Looks great whenever I see him
I always thought Bailey would be a good option, also. Could be ready to break out offensively. Islanders could use some help on the blueline, so maybe a fit there?

Old
12-10-2012, 04:57 PM
samwitch

The idea of acquiring Jenner is farfetched, but sounds amazing...

Having a

xxxxx - Jenner - Biggs line in the NHL would be sweet.

Obviously if they both pan out.

Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Theres no way Burke lines up a deal for Lu without knowing what the cba looks like. Too many variables. Lu's value could fluctuate wildly dependent on it as well

Old
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I would be suprised it would cost that much. 9 year cap hit of 5.3 for a goalie who will be 42 at the end of the deal, all while dealing the Leafs number 1 center? The Leafs need a goalie more than any other position by a country mile, and Lou would be a good choice, but not at that cost with all the risk.
No way I would be offering up one of our top prospects for Luongo with that contract. Vancouver are very limited in who they can move this guy to, and having him sit and sulk in Vancouver would not be a situation for them. If we cannot get him on the cheap, I would walk away and look elsewhere.

Old
12-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Plus salary HAS to be going back to Vancouver in that deal .. No way Burke would take that contract on without sending something back
There is still the possibility of trading cap hit. If we get 2m cap relief per year for 5 years it isn't that much of a cap hit at all and leafs can afford his salary.

But at this point in time with no CBA in place....who knows what happens.

Old
12-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Rude Dog

Not a fan of this rumoured deal at all. Bozak I can live with...but I hate the thought of giving up yet another first round pick (7th over-all) for an aging player. I understand the Leafs need a goalie, but not at the expense of one of their few forward prospects with upside. If they throw in a 2013 1st round pick as well (I will throw up).

I would be all right giving up a veteran player who could help the Nucks now. The Leafs have invested a lot of time and energy in Kadri. He's finally beginning to turn it around with the Marlies. Too soon to turn the page.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post

Josh Bailey(23) is a talented centre who's behind Tavares obviously and was behind Nielsen last year. He's got the talent to be a good playmaker and has been working the PK on the Islanders last year. Not even sure if he's available but could be a good fit.

From what Bailey, Snow and a few local writers/bloggers are reporting, Bailey's being moved from 3rd line center to 2nd line lw after finishing up strong on a line with Nielsen/KO.

Bailey wanted a longterm deal, similar to the ones Grabner/Okposo had signed. Instead he had to take a 2 yr show me contract.

If Bailey is moved, it'll be after he gets a long look at 2nd line lw and I doubt he'll be dealt to another eastern Conference team unless it's part of a package. His value alone isn't that high, so why would the NY gift a conference rival, with a skilled, cheap, inconsistent young player?

Old
12-11-2012, 02:03 PM
leugangen

I suggested this ages ago, but a Lupul for Luongo swap would be very fair.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Backlund would be a guy that I would love to have on my team and surprisingly, I think the Flames would actually give him up. I don't think he would command a lot in salary and the Leafs would be dealing from one of their strengths in defence to a team that has zero good defensive prospects.

Austin Watson would be amazing too. But I can't see Nashville trading the guy.
I doubt we'd get Watson as well...unfortunate lol.

Backlund I agree, I think we can rob him from the flames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
The idea of acquiring Jenner is farfetched, but sounds amazing...

Having a

xxxxx - Jenner - Biggs line in the NHL would be sweet.

Obviously if they both pan out.
It would be a great line up come playoff time, all hearts and skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I suggested this ages ago, but a Lupul for Luongo swap would be very fair.
Don't see it with the way Kessel has meshe with Lupul, and Kessel is without a doubt our best player in the forward department.

12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
From what Bailey, Snow and a few local writers/bloggers are reporting, Bailey's being moved from 3rd line center to 2nd line lw after finishing up strong on a line with Nielsen/KO.

Bailey wanted a longterm deal, similar to the ones Grabner/Okposo had signed. Instead he had to take a 2 yr show me contract.

If Bailey is moved, it'll be after he gets a long look at 2nd line lw and I doubt he'll be dealt to another eastern Conference team unless it's part of a package. His value alone isn't that high, so why would the NY gift a conference rival, with a skilled, cheap, inconsistent young player?
I wouldn't expect the NYI to gift him over to the Leafs but I mentioned maybe at the right price he could be had for
Just thinking of possible up and coming young centres and I think Bailey could have a good future. Interesting that they're moving him over to 2nd line lw, I bet in the end he becomes a good #2 behind Tavares.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:30 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Why would Calgary give up Backlund? In no way are they in a position to deal young talent, and they know that.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Why would Calgary give up Backlund? In no way are they in a position to deal young talent, and they know that.
Because he hasn't done anything. Some players just need a shake up.

12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Theres no way Burke lines up a deal for Lu without knowing what the cba looks like. Too many variables. Lu's value could fluctuate wildly dependent on it as well
An excellent point that has to be repeated.

How could they just make a deal without knowing how the CBA would turn out?

Old
12-12-2012, 12:38 AM
DougGilmour93

2 trade ideas...

1) MacArthur + Kadri + Ashton + 2nd in 2013 for Luongo

2) Bozak + Biggs + Holzer + 1st in 2014 for Getzlaf

Old
12-12-2012, 05:48 AM
Antropovsky

How many gamblers here would wanna roll the dice on bernier, instead of going for Lou?

Unfortunately for us, the leafs aren't really in a gambling position. Lou not only will give us top goaltending "now" but he also will be our team leadership and confidence. Our team seams to desperately lack leadership, the minute a minuscule moment of doubt creaps into the room, it seems that the wheels totally fall off the bus. We need someone capable of stopping the bleeding once it starts.

But! I'll say this, last year Or the year before, Schneider seemingly was the more available goalie in Vancouver. Now he'd cost a pretty penny, I'd say this is a similar situation as bernier's now, except bernier's value is much lower now than schneiders has ever been.

Hindsight is 20/20, we all know it, but I'm wondering where these players will be in 5 years.

Kadri, frattin, loungo, bernier.

Or better yet, kadri, bernier and frattin, who will be more valuable of a player?

Old
12-12-2012, 06:27 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
2 trade ideas...

Getzlaf is a free agent in 6 months. Heck no to that deal

Old
12-12-2012, 07:00 AM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
Not a fan of this rumoured deal at all. Bozak I can live with...but I hate the thought of giving up yet another first round pick (7th over-all) for an aging player. I understand the Leafs need a goalie, but not at the expense of one of their few forward prospects with upside. If they throw in a 2013 1st round pick as well (I will throw up).

I would be all right giving up a veteran player who could help the Nucks now. The Leafs have invested a lot of time and energy in Kadri. He's finally beginning to turn it around with the Marlies. Too soon to turn the page.
Burke has only traded a player he selected in the first round once.

That was R.J. Umberger and it was due to a contract dispute.

Old
12-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Spazmatic Dan
The Leafs Are Good

Well if the season is lost we could always win a top 5 pick, draft Monahan/Barkov/Lindholm, trade mostly futures for Luongo or sign someone like Backstrom if he becomes available, dump Komisarek and go for:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-Monahan/Barkov/Lindholm-Frattin
Brown-McClement-Komarov/whoever

Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Gunnarsson
Liles-Holzer/Franson

Luongo/Backstrom
Reimer

*snort* Huhwhat....Wait, what time is it?? I should be at work!

Old
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Getzlaf is a free agent in 6 months. Heck no to that deal
I believe that with the season lost, players may still owe a year of service to their respective teams (if someone has proof otherwise, please feel free to inform me) and therefore my offer makes sense.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
An excellent point that has to be repeated.

How could they just make a deal without knowing how the CBA would turn out?
Obviously they can't make a deal, but doesnt stop teams from finding out what Vancouver is looking for in return. Would suggest some of the press rumours that Burke has a deal in place is sensationalism, but if he wasnt talking to Gillis to see what it would cost to get Luongo, then he isnt really doing his job. Obvsiously, once/if lockout ends then they have to evealuate the financial implications of the new CBA and whether pulling the trigger on ANY trade makes sense.

Old
12-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
I believe that with the season lost, players may still owe a year of service to their respective teams (if someone has proof otherwise, please feel free to inform me) and therefore my offer makes sense.
While I cant say for sure, I dont believe its true. Seen a number of stories on TSN or sportsnet during lockout, where a player in his last contract year maybe screwed by the lockout as it would be tough for them to get a new deal summer of 2013 as a free agent due to age and a lost season.

You do have to wonder about the mentality of the NHL owners, giving out those front loaded, long term contracts right before the lockout. Now many players are more equiped to withstand a lockout finanacially, and they are squabling over maximum contract length in the negotiations.

Old
12-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
2 trade ideas...

switch that with colborne and a 3rd Id maybe consider it but even then I think we can have him for a cheaper price than people here think.

Closed Thread