HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: Starting Jan 13, after players vote.

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
It is now officially that time of year!

Seems like most people have been hibernating (myself included), just waiting for this day to come.

Almost seemed like it wasn't going to!
Lol I think eveyrone was...life was a bore man.

01-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

OMG hockey overload!!!!!!!!

The 2013 FA market and the 2013 draft class is looking really really good!!!

AND the Leafs will have $25+ Million in cap space with many core guys signed!!! Burkie played this perfectly!!!

Exciting times in Leaf Land!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
OMG hockey overload!!!!!!!!

The 2013 FA market and the 2013 draft class is looking really really good!!!

AND the Leafs will have $25+ Million in cap space with many core guys signed!!! Burkie played this perfectly!!!

Exciting times in Leaf Land!!!!!!!!!!
what id want the most is to have a serious FA come over here during the off-season, just one who can be a game changer for us. If that happens we might become a spot where others come by with our success. I hope Burke has something up his sleeve, I really do for his job and for this franchise's sake.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
AndMat*

The cap is 70.3 mill this year no? I can see Burke Taking in cap of expiring contracts next year from other teams for picks and prospects, including injured players.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
what id want the most is to have a serious FA come over here during the off-season, just one who can be a game changer for us. If that happens we might become a spot where others come by with our success. I hope Burke has something up his sleeve, I really do for his job and for this franchise's sake.
The only way a serious FA will come here is if the Leafs make some serious strides this year. I want to see this team in the playoffs in May.

Old
01-06-2013, 09:47 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
The cap is 70.3 mill this year no? I can see Burke Taking in cap of expiring contracts next year from other teams for picks and prospects, including injured players.
The cap is technically $60m, but teams can spend up to $70.2m which would be pro-rated for just this season.

So yes, Burke and the Leafs have deep enough pockets to spend to that $70 million, but would have to ensure cap complaince for next season, which means many teams could hamstring themselves if they dont spend right or use their amnesty on the right players.

What I can see Burke doing is flexing his financial muscle, buying out someone like Komisarek and then going out and taking on a "cap dump" for owners that do not wish to pay to dump someone.

ie; Burke amnesty's Mike Komisarek. Then turns around and acquires someone like Lecavalier, who Tampa Bay could never afford to buyout due to the amount of salary that would be required for ownership to hand out. Luongo could be in this boat, along with other players that have larger cap hits.

Or we could see Burke and the Leafs acquire someone like Rick DiPietro along with assets, and them immediately buy him out. At this point, it isn't clear to me if this COULD be an option. But if it is, it could be a very realistic loophole Burke can look to exploit.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 01-06-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old
01-06-2013, 10:01 AM
rumman

Quote:
The cap is technically $60m, but teams can spend up to $70.2m which would be pro-rated for just this season.

So yes, Burke and the Leafs have deep enough pockets to spend to that $70 million, but would have to ensure cap complaince for next season, which means many teams could hamstring themselves if they dont spend right or use their amnesty on the right players.

What I can see Burke doing is flexing his financial muscle, buying out someone like Komisarek and then going out and taking on a "cap dump" for owners that do not wish to pay to dump someone.

ie; Burke amnesty's Mike Komisarek. Then turns around and acquires someone like Lecavalier, who Tampa Bay could never afford to buyout due to the amount of salary that would be required for ownership to hand out. Luongo could be in this boat, along with other players that have larger cap hits.

Or we could see Burke and the Leafs acquire someone like Rick DiPietro along with assets, and them immediately buy him out. At this point, it isn't clear to me if this COULD be an option. But if it is, it could be a very realistic loophole Burke can look to exploit.
Surely this upcoming season will hold some interesting player movement, I'm curious how the Leafs will fair in improving themselves, both in the short term and the long term. Will Burke sacrifice the future to save his job, or make sound hockey moves that will help the team now and in the future? It's going to get interesting...........

Old
01-06-2013, 10:11 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
Surely this upcoming season will hold some interesting player movement, I'm curious how the Leafs will fair in improving themselves, both in the short term and the long term. Will Burke sacrifice the future to save his job, or make sound hockey moves that will help the team now and in the future? It's going to get interesting...........

The funny thing is, if Burke never made that Kessel trade no one would even think it would be possible for him to act hastily or in a way that sacrifices soundness and logic for short-term job-saving moves.

Frankly I've always sort of laughed at the notion some fans share that Burke would do something like that. I think we should give the man some credit, to say the least.

What will however be interesting is to see what this trade with /for Luongo looks like. I would say that if Kadri is included in the package as its been long rumoured then this might in some way echo or resemble the above notion.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
I am also wondering will we do a firesale or something and stock up ? I don't know things are such a mystery atm I am very curious.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
rumman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
The funny thing is, if Burke never made that Kessel trade no one would even think it would be possible for him to act hastily or in a way that sacrifices soundness and logic for short-term job-saving moves.

Frankly I've always sort of laughed at the notion some fans share that Burke would do something like that. I think we should give the man some credit, to say the least.

What will however be interesting is to see what this trade with /for Luongo looks like. I would say that if Kadri is included in the package as its been long rumoured then this might in some way echo or resemble the above notion.
I don't think it out of the realm of possibility that Burke makes moves that ensure short term success, it's human nature to protect yourself. This is where the "lame duck" GM phrase came from. I don't have a clue what Burke will do, but I hope it includes more than acquiring aging players and their inflated contracts.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

When can trades start

Old
01-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
When can trades start
prolly after the GMS got the paper bound CBA rules and then give a look at whats what and then make the moves.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:43 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
prolly after the GMS got the paper bound CBA rules and then give a look at whats what and then make the moves.
Probably safe to assume this would be Tuesday at some point (BoG Vote), with camp projected to start Wednesday.

But at this point that vote is nearly a formality and GM's will be discussing things as of this morning.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
hockeygeek

The Canucks have committed $60 million dollars to next years payroll with lots of players in their final contract years. Just saying....these guys are in a tight spot to clear up a lot of cap space between now and then

The cap hit is only $55 mill but the point remains.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
hockeygeek

Burke has put the Leafs in a very good position to make some major pickups in the next couple of years. Maybe help out a team or two. I think the new cba rules favors the Leafs moving forward in a big way when compared to some other teams that are already near next years cap limits.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Lots of possibilities for Burke. I think he has the potential to make a splash in the FA market this Summer.

Old
01-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Probably safe to assume this would be Tuesday at some point (BoG Vote), with camp projected to start Wednesday.

But at this point that vote is nearly a formality and GM's will be discussing things as of this morning.
Honestly atm I am wondering what he has his sleeve. As I see it Burke being burke he wants to make a splash. Aka get big pieces while at it make sure we get younger somehow and make the run for the playoffs. OR We do a mini firesale, stock up on our prospects from this draft and see what we can get while at it give our prospects the boot up to the bigs along with reclamation projects from the league, aka the MoJo, The wilsons and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Lots of possibilities for Burke. I think he has the potential to make a splash in the FA market this Summer.
If we are to make a big splash, we need playoffs as Suntouchable said, unless we have some sort of excellent pull via connections and home talk. Aka Perry and Getzlaf, who I doubt would want to leave.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Quote:
Honestly atm I am wondering what he has his sleeve. As I see it Burke being burke he wants to make a splash. Aka get big pieces while at it make sure we get younger somehow and make the run for the playoffs. OR We do a mini firesale, stock up on our prospects from this draft and see what we can get while at it give our prospects the boot up to the bigs along with reclamation projects from the league, aka the MoJo, The wilsons and so on.

If we are to make a big splash, we need playoffs as Suntouchable said, unless we have some sort of excellent pull via connections and home talk. Aka Perry and Getzlaf, who I doubt would want to leave.
I think a strong season would definitely help, but I think the Burke/Carlyle factor could play in with Perry/Getzlaf. Also the fact that Burke is walking on a very tight line regarding job security right now, he needs to make some pretty significant changes if possible. Luongo would certainly be a pretty good start if a deal can be worked out.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
I think a strong season would definitely help, but I think the Burke/Carlyle factor could play in with Perry/Getzlaf. Also the fact that Burke is walking on a very tight line regarding job security right now, he needs to make some pretty significant changes if possible. Luongo would certainly be a pretty good start if a deal can be worked out.
I honestly have no qualms to acquire luongo, people doubt him, call him a choker whatever but he is a number one netminder, through and through. Not to mention bash him when the game is a team effort, my problems are the pieces that might be involved, I am very much against Kadri moving unless we somehow acquire a prospect of his calibre if not better from another trade.

As far as the Perry and Getzlaf, I think Getz will stay tbh, but Perry might move, but not with us...lord knows freaking sather and his god damn UFA tactics.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Just realized, the bobby ryan sweepstakes might be still on. Everything was forgotten due to nash.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM
JMcLeaf
Culture change

vCash: 3936
So Bobby Mac thinks Lu deal would be something like Bozak + pick + prospect for Luongo

Not a rumor, just what he thinks the deal would look like

Old
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
I don't care about this season as much as I do the next. We've got a ton of money to blow and we better use it up going for the top UFA's like Getzlaf and Perry...I don't care if they're overpaid.

8.5M for both Getzlaf and Perry >>>>>> 4.5M x 2 for Komisarek and Connolly.

This lockout has been so long, I've totally forgotten that so many guys are still not signed, are on the rumour mill, and UFA's.

Old
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
trellaine201

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
So Bobby Mac thinks Lu deal would be something like Bozak + pick + prospect for Luongo

Again, why would Luongo want to play with the Leafs?

Old
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post

Bozak, Greg Mckegg or Colborne alng with a 3rd rounder? I hope anything but kadri

Old
01-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Again, why would Luongo want to play with the Leafs?
He's being run out of town by crazy nuck fans? Some are very level headed there but some are not.

Closed Thread