HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NFL mediator wants to sort out CBA

Old
11-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Durrr

vCash: 50
NFL mediator wants to sort out CBA

ESPNNewYork.com describes how Judge Arthur Boylan may have led mediation between the National Football League and NFL Players Association during last year’s lockout, but the Minnesota-based chief federal magistrate finds the current NHL work stoppage hitting closer to home.

He is a Chicago Blackhawks fan from youth who has since converted to a supporter of his hometown Minnesota Wild, having been a season-ticket holder since the team’s inception.

"I’d volunteer to do it for free," Boylan said in a telephone interview with ESPNNewYork.com. "I’d love to get this thing done."

Boylan said he feels mediation is always a wise choice when two sides hit this sort of impasse -- the earlier, the better.
The judge was tasked with bringing together the NFL and NFLPA after a failed round of mediation before the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service lockout in April 2011.

The NFL and NFLPA eventually came to an agreement on a 10-year collective bargaining agreement in July, managing to avoid further damage to the game by settling before the regular season began.

"This sounds corny, but it’s the honest-to-God truth. You saw how passionate both sides were about the game, how much love they had for the game, and they knew how much was riding on whether they resolved the case, for the future of the game," he said. "These guys had reverence for the game, and they were stewards for that game. They weren’t going to blow it. I’m not saying money wasn't important, but there really was a mutual respect there."

The respect factor, or even the lone semblance of trust, might be the biggest impediment to seeing hockey any time soon. Despite the numerous reports of mounting tension, contentious battles and lack of common ground between the NHL and NHLPA, Boylan remains optimistic.

"I’m pretty confident they’re going to get this thing done," he said. "At least there’s some hint of optimism on the union’s side. I think getting players that love the game and owners that love the game in there together is the perfect combination."

Boylan hopes that, however they choose to resolve their differences, some agreement is in place soon.

"I’d love to take a crack at it, because it’s truly the game I love," he said. "And from a selfish standpoint, you’d really like to see them back on the ice."

I love how he points out the NFL CBA was sorted out because the two sides had mutual respect for the game and didn't want to tarnish it's image. I don't understand the actions of the hockey league and it's players at all.

Last edited by Durrr: 11-15-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Durrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 500
Nice gesture. Not gonna happen. The two sides really do not want to come to an agreement at this time so they wont invite a mediator into the negotiations. The players have left, they know the season is over.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:28 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

It's too bad the owners and Fehr will never agree to mediation, at least not until it gets imposed on them over the summer after months of whining and pouting. All of these sports leagues should be required to submit to mediation if they can't get their **** together in time to avoid missing games.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:37 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Too bad both sides aren't done burning money, because this dude could probably help them get closer to a deal.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:40 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
I just don't either side agreeing to it. Nice idea but doubtful in happening.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Durrr

Well I think the problem is people see mediation as an extension to the process. Both sides have been quotes lately saying that once there is a breakthrough the deal shouldn't take long so the time for mediation was probably a month ago.

What I really like is his ideology on the entire process, how both sides should care enough about the game and the image of the league to let something like this happen. The league might get away with justifying 20-30 games from a schedule to enhance the long term stability of the game but good luck finding justification in an entire season wiped out for 7% of HRR and 1 year on UFA status.

Durrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
If December 1st comes and goes. Frankly, they could do far worse than allow for an independent mediator who does not possess hostility one way or another.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:24 AM
psychonaut

The problem is both leader do not love the game.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:25 AM
hockeyfan2k11

They wouldn't even be able to agree on who the mediator should be.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:05 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Nice gesture. Not gonna happen. The two sides really do not want to come to an agreement at this time so they wont invite a mediator into the negotiations. The players have left, they know the season is over.
neither side will agree to a good idea

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 07:20 AM
patnyrnyg

As others have said, neither side will agree. The players know he will most likely suggest a 50-50 split of revenues right away. Owners know he will most likely suggest to back-off the contract restriction demands. Both sides also know that he will suggest to find some kind of middle ground on the whole "make-whole". Actually more like something that favors the players, but doesn't give them every penny on their contracts.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:37 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durrr View Post
"This sounds corny, but it’s the honest-to-God truth. You saw how passionate both sides were about the game, how much love they had for the game, and they knew how much was riding on whether they resolved the case, for the future of the game," he said. "These guys had reverence for the game, and they were stewards for that game. They weren’t going to blow it. I’m not saying money wasn't important, but there really was a mutual respect there."

The respect factor, or even the lone semblance of trust, might be the biggest impediment to seeing hockey any time soon. Despite the numerous reports of mounting tension, contentious battles and lack of common ground between the NHL and NHLPA, Boylan remains optimistic.
I'd say this is the big difference between the NFL talks and the current NHL situation, then. There isn't a mutual respect, and neither side respects the other.

God bless him though for at least offering to fix their mess.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Cliffy1814

I had a professor whse fdefinition of the word "Fair" was "when good things happen to you".

At the core of this dispute is two sides who have a different definition of fair.

The players feel it's "Fair" to negotiate off of the last CBA (hence all the rehtoric about evrything they are giving up in this negotiation)

The owners feel "fair" is to negotiate based on today's economic climate, the financial position of the league and using what other leagues have done as a benchmark.

I don't think the owners want to run the risk that a mediator agrees with the latter definition.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Ari91

He hit the nail on the end. The NFL and NFLPA cared about how their negotiations could affect the image of the game. Neither the NHL or NHLPA share that same sentiment. Both sides are guilty of taking advantage of the fans and both are tarnishing the reputation of hockey as a sport. If both sides were serious from the get go, neither side would waste time with chicken tactics. It's not the idea of the league wanting more that is disappointing, it's not that the PA wants to push back and not give up everything asked of them that's disappointing. What's disappointing is that both sides feel that time is the best bargaining tool at their disposal without care of how their tactics make the sport of hockey look bad.

It's all about the Benjamins for these guys and that's really sad.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:55 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

The fact is, and I'll put the hat myself, hockey fans aren't nearly as expressive as football fans are.

I still remember Week 3 Patriots vs Ravens game in Baltimore that replacement refs made a few bad calls. The whole stadium was chanting ''bulls**t'' and it was a Sunday Night Football in America so it was a nationally televised and heard call. Pretty sure the NFL tough about it and shortly after ended the dispute with referees.

In NHL, we can't do that, we won't do that, we don't have the guts to do so. We will show our disapproval of the current lockout for 30 seconds and then we will go back to the game as if it never stopped.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 11:57 AM
BLONG7

If both sides just want to get a deal done, then this would be the way to go...there are thousands of jobs, besides the big 700 involved here...when this many people are effected, there should be a process like this, when you hit the wall...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote