HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Vanke vs. Lidstrom

Old
11-14-2012, 08:42 AM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Vanke vs. Lidstrom

I currently use a Warrior Vanek, but saw a good deal today on a stick I like, but a Lidstrom is the only curve available. How much difference is there between the Vanek and Lidstrom?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Lidstrom is higher lie, squarer toe, and a good bit more open and curved. Vanek is a big long blade but fairly mild curve and loft.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:07 AM
mistrhanky

Anything else in that Warrior line that would be closer to the Vanek? Options are limited. Looks like Federov and Draper are about the only other options. I recently switched to the Vanek from a real cheap stick(thanks to a lot of advice I received on this board) and have been very pleased with it. The lie seems perfect and I have been pretty happy with not having such a big curve(originally started with a P92 but the Vanek feels much better on my backhand) as I am a low end D leaguer right now. But, with the holiday deals coming up, I was hoping to find a backup stick that would fit pretty close to what I have now for a good price.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Vanek is discontinued I believe, although you might find clearance sticks in that curve at Hockey Monkey.

Your absolute best bet is to try and get adjusted to a common curve, like the PM9 (Cammalleri/Burrows/etc), P92 (Hall/Kopitar/etc), or P88 (Iginla/Kovalchuk/etc). Every brand has a version and they will never be discontinued.

PM9 is probably the easiest curve to use as it's the flattest. Blade is a little smaller and it's a little less open than the Vanek but probably the closest common blade.

Old
11-14-2012, 09:27 AM
AIREAYE

Jarick nailed it. Give the Fedorov/Savard/Burrows from Warrior a try, it's the same lie as the Vanek with slightly less loft.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
mistrhanky

Thanks guys. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Draper, but what you said about finding something more stable seems to make more sense long term.

Old
11-14-2012, 10:17 AM
AIREAYE

The Draper is very different than the Vanek and is the clone of the P92/Hall that Jarick mentioned. The 3 he mentioned are the most...'common' retail patterns across all companies.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How long have you been playing?

Old
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
ponder

Jarick, you keep talking about the Vanek as a long blade, but isn't it the same as an Easton Darby? I used to have a Darby, and IIRC it was a pretty short blade.

Agreed that PM9 type curves (like the Warrior Fedorov/Savard/Burrows) are most similar to a Vanek/Darby. Similar lie, both mild curves, though the Vanek is a bit more open and a bit more of a true mid curve, instead of a mid-heel like the PM9. The P106 is pretty close too, more rocker than the Vanek, but it's similarly open to the Vanek, and is also a reasonably mild curve (though it's again a mid-heel, not a true mid).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:33 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
I have a vanek blade and Jarick is right, it is a long blade...about the same length as a Draper.
To me, short blades are pm9, p14 and Iginla.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's a bit longer but feels even bigger because of the blocky toe.

Pictures (obviously the Warrior is Vanek, the other is a PM9 clone):

Also for comparison, the P92 on the left and Draper/Kopitar on the right:

Draper and Vanek would be about the same length, but the Draper/P92/etc has more rocker (less material) at the heel which makes it feel like a bit lower lie:

Old
11-14-2012, 01:41 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Jarick, you keep talking about the Vanek as a long blade, but isn't it the same as an Easton Darby? I used to have a Darby, and IIRC it was a pretty short blade.
Correct. Although it was my favorite retail pattern, my one criticism of the Vanek pattern was that it could stand to be about a half inch longer. Although I horded a few Vanek Dolo blades when they were on Monkey's site at this time last year, I am on my last one and wondering what to do next. As expensive as sticks and blades are getting, I am seriously considering the custom route.

On a related note, I got a 1st Gen. Jovanovski Dolo blade (AKA Lidstrom) on the cheap via Ebay and can say that there is really no comparison with the Vanek. I got it for nastolgic reasons as heel patterns with mild mid-curve and square toes used to be my bread and butter (i.e. Hespeler Gilmour and Nike Brind'amour). However the Lidstrom/Jovo has too much mid for my taste. I like the slap shots that I get off with it, but forget about the quick backhand and deflection control you get from the Vanek.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Vanek isn't a long blade per se. I'd say it's 1/2" longer than the PM9. The Drury is the longest blade I've seen, usually 1" longer (or close to it) than the PM9. P92 is usually halfway between them. Lidstrom is usually just a bit shorter than P92 because the toe is squared off.

Old
11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The Vanek isn't a long blade per se. I'd say it's 1/2" longer than the PM9. The Drury is the longest blade I've seen, usually 1" longer (or close to it) than the PM9. P92 is usually halfway between them. Lidstrom is usually just a bit shorter than P92 because the toe is squared off.
Fair enough. I am sure that my perception is currupted by my prolonged use of the Hespeler Gilmour/"Killer" pattern. Its illegal length makes everything else seem short in comparison.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 02:50 PM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How long have you been playing?
I have been skating about 8 months, playing an adult clinic for about 20 weeks(once a week) and just started with a D league team. So, hockey wise, since mid summer. I started with a Nexus 400 Backstrom, but found the stick not to be terribly responsive to me and the curve was a bit too much for me to handle well on my backhand. I upgraded to a better quality stick in the Warrior Dolo Vanek and have been much happier with it.

I am a left shooter and play right wing most of the time which can be tough because my best turns are too the right. So, until I improve my left side stop/turning ability, having more comfort/control on my back hand is pretty important. As I improve perhaps I can introduce more curve. I liked the P92 from the standpoint of lifting my shot, but at my skill level and size(6'4, 240) I need to be protecting the puck and bodying guys which means carrying on my backhand a lot.

Old
11-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, good to know. I'd still try and stick with a PM9, P88, or P92. It just makes life easier. I spent forever dreaming up blades and curves and looking at pro stocks but it's just better to find one common curve and learn to love it, flaws and all.

I like the P92 precisely because the deeper curve lets me hold the puck on my forehand and protect it/dangle better, plus the open face helps forehand shots. I rarely use my backhand except for some passing and clearing but learned to use the P92.

P88 is a nice middle ground, but for you, I would try both the PM9 and P88 curves (when you get a chance) just to experience them. Especially since you've tried the P92.

Old
11-14-2012, 05:39 PM
ponder

Touche re: the Vanek, it does appear to be ever so slightly longer than a PM9. All retail curves are pretty close in length anyways, even a long retail curve like a Drury is less than half an inch longer than a short retail curve like and Iginla or P14. It's not until you hit pro stocks that you get the true paddles (for example, my Perron pro curve is ridiculously long).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah...still feels weird on the ice. The Sakic is just a nice happy medium for everything IMO...except I'd like a bit more of a square toe...