Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Random (non-star) players you miss

Old
11-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Schalkenullvier*

vCash: 500
Random (non-star) players you miss

Who are some of the guys that you've missed ever since they retired, left your league, etc.? I don't mean legends like Zidane or star players for your team, but players that you liked for...some reason, wether it be never scoring but coming up big in big games, exciting playing style, hilarity, loyalty, whatever. Post'em up.

My pick would be Tomislav Piblica, once keeper of fringe Bundesliga side Energie Cottbus. The guy was just always entertaining and inconsistent to a point that few players reach. He could steal a game for Cottbus one night and concede absolutely (hilariously) terrible goals the next, such as this well known gem:

Still he managed to stick around as their first choice goalkeeper for more than 5 years. He was always inbetween genius and madness (though more often the latter) and a fan favourite.

So, what are yours?

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Shaun Goater.

Scored the goal that got us promoted to the Championship and retired after the game.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i wouldn't label him a superstar, but he is a star.... Edgar Davids was one of my favorite players growing up...i know he's still in like a dutch 3rd division league or something, but he had serious skills with a ball on his feet

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i wouldn't label him a superstar, but he is a star.... Edgar Davids was one of my favorite players growing up...i know he's still in like a dutch 3rd division league or something, but he had serious skills with a ball on his feet
He plays for Barnet in the English League 2

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Caramel

Edgar Davids was definitely a superstar.

Caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
Captain Saku

Probably not the name you're looking for but Fernando Redondo. Such a great great player.

Captain Saku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
He plays for Barnet in the English League 2
thanks...couldn't remember where it was...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Theon
Fear the Beard

Jay-jay Okocha, Dennis Bergkamp, Freddie Ljunberg, Ronny Johnsen and most recently Dimitar Berbatov.

Theon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:42 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Jay-jay Okocha, Dennis Bergkamp, Freddie Ljunberg, Ronny Johnsen and most recently Dimitar Berbatov.
I agree with Freddie Ljunberg in some way, since he never really got as much credit as Henry & Bergkamp, but Dennis Bergkamp is a star for sure

I'd say Eboue. Not for his Football skills, but just because hes a boss lol

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 11-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZ View Post
Perhaps not Johnsen, but the rest of those players are definitely stars by even the most stringent definition of the word.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Theon
Fear the Beard

Hmm..I guess you're right. I just quickly made up a list of players that I miss watching play without thinking too much haha

Theon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Always liked Riccardo Zampagna, your typical Italian journeyman striker with an erratic personality. He had his strong season in Atalanta at the same time as I started following football seriously.

Players like him was one of the reasons why I initially fell in love with Serie A.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 11:44 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Paul Dickov comes to mind, just one of those guys. Steve Claridge. Alex Rae. Would Big Duncan Ferguson count as a star? Jan Age Fjortoft? I guess it depends on the definition. Same with Uwe Rösler I suppose.

In Germany, there's a bunch, Ned Zelic, Paul Lambert, Mirko Votava, Uli Borowka, Gunnar Sauer, Teddy De Beer, Alfred Nijhuis, Hendrik Herzog, Sven Demandt, Stefan Kohn, Manni Binz, Tom Dooley, Souleyman Sane, or those lads from the Karlsruhe Eurofighters: Eddie Schmit, Manni Bender, Schütterle, Kirjakov, Heiko Bonan.

Not sure how much I actually miss them or whether those are just names that my nostalgic mind associates with "solid guys who sort of were representative for solid but not quite elite football at the time". Some of those guys represented their country so it could be argued they were stars in those countries, but I don't think any of those guys were considered among the star players in their leagues.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:02 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Paul Dickov comes to mind, just one of those guys. Steve Claridge. Alex Rae. Would Big Duncan Ferguson count as a star? Jan Age Fjortoft? I guess it depends on the definition. Same with Uwe Rösler I suppose.

In Germany, there's a bunch, Ned Zelic, Paul Lambert, Mirko Votava, Uli Borowka, Gunnar Sauer, Teddy De Beer, Alfred Nijhuis, Hendrik Herzog, Sven Demandt, Stefan Kohn, Manni Binz, Tom Dooley, Souleyman Sane, or those lads from the Karlsruhe Eurofighters: Eddie Schmit, Manni Bender, Schütterle, Kirjakov, Heiko Bonan.

Not sure how much I actually miss them or whether those are just names that my nostalgic mind associates with "solid guys who sort of were representative for solid but not quite elite football at the time". Some of those guys represented their country so it could be argued they were stars in those countries, but I don't think any of those guys were considered among the star players in their leagues.
Dickov is 40? Weird.

Just wanted to say a thank you to whoever was in charge of Dortmund when Paul Lambert went there (seems so long ago I've forgotten his name). He went from being a pretty good winger for Motherwell to a brilliant anchorman.

John Spencer, Gary McAllister and John Collins for me.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 05:13 AM
BSHH
HSVer & Rotflügel

Former HSV captain David Jarolim is still hated among Bundesliga fans for falling very easily and drawing countless free kicks by this. While I did not like his frequent diving, I miss Jarolim for playing with an edge.

Gruß,
BSHH

BSHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 10:26 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Rivaldo.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:28 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Another one i would add is Jörg Böhme, another guy that was always on the verge of craziness. If he delivered though, he did it right. 2000/01 was his best season, here's a vid of all his goals that season and almost all were beauties

Also put Schalke on path to winning the DFB Cup two years straight by scoring in the final. "Genialer Kunde" (as in the youtube comment) indeed.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Stray Wasp

Denis / Dennis Irwin (one 'n' I think, but better safe than sorry), quiet, solid and indispensible to one superb Man U team after another.

Moreno Torricelli and Angelo Di Livio, both of Juventus and Fiorentina. The former possessed unnervingly intense eyes, the latter had the air of a diminutive street-fighter. Trap and Lippi rated them both, which is praise enough.

Anselmo Robbiati. Notionally a number 10, in reality a shock sub, since his matchstick legs meant he struggled to play a full 90 minutes. Could strike a ball, though. At his peak with Fiorentina circa 94 to 99.

Nobby Solano. Touch, flair, vision and a mean shot on him. Seemed to enjoy playing football for a living.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 02:24 PM
gary69

Of non-stars, I miss John Wark, who played mostly for Ipswich but had success at Liverpool as well.

Didn't look like having any above-average talent, yet there he often was, scoring plenty of goals for a supposedly non-attacking player.

I guess you could say he had a great footballing mind and ability to find space and get into scoring positions.

gary69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 06:44 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Another one i would add is Jörg Böhme, another guy that was always on the verge of craziness. If he delivered though, he did it right. 2000/01 was his best season, here's a vid of all his goals that season and almost all were beauties

Also put Schalke on path to winning the DFB Cup two years straight by scoring in the final. "Genialer Kunde" (as in the youtube comment) indeed.
Böhme was like a poor man's Basler, good call.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Argel ****s

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 07:56 PM
HeHateMeFrisbee

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to HeHateMeFrisbee Send a message via Yahoo to HeHateMeFrisbee
darren huckerby

HeHateMeFrisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Benny Feilhaber

Having an American National Team player on a lousy side like AGF while I was studying in Aarhus was pretty great and led me to actually following club-level soccer for the first time. Now he's on an MLS team I can't stand and hasn't been a featured player for the US team since the 2010 World Cup.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-15-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:44 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Brandon Prideaux and Jon Busch

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:01 PM
tobo

At my local Belgian side Josip Weber. In the pre-Bosman era, small teams like Cercle Bruges were able to retain their best players. Nowadays, he would be gone after 6 months. Weber scored 136 goals in 204 games between 1988 and 1994 and went for a record transfer fee to Anderlecht. 2 nasty injuries later, he retires in 1997.

In our domestic league is Alin Stoica by far, the most talented kid who never made it. He was part of the Anderlecht-side that destroyed Manchester United, Real Madrid, Porto and Lazio in the Champions League. Well loved by the fans, Stoica got the nickname "Little prince of the Astrid Park".Too bad he has the mentality of a 10 y-old, otherwise this small Romanian could've played at any top side.

tobo is offline   Reply With Quote