HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

2012 CBA Discussion Part IV (Lockout talk here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2012, 01:14 PM
  #801
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 7,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I have often questioned his judgement. I have not called him a "liar."
When you say a reporter has zero creditability,their facts are wrong or what they write isn't believable your basically calling them a liar.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
  #802
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
In response....
Yup. And in his article, he provides evidence. Good for him.

Unless, to reiterate, he's making it up. If he is, he should be fired.

Artemis is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:27 PM
  #803
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.
 
Kaoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yup. And in his article, he provides evidence. Good for him.

Unless, to reiterate, he's making it up. If he is, he should be fired.
That's what you consider evidence today? Cause were it a player he was talking about you would dismiss it as a bogus unnamed source and Haggs carrying out his agenda, being the apparent attention ***** he is. At least, that's been your stance on many of Haggs pieces in the past whether they had to do with Seguin, Chara, or Thomas.

It's amazing how quickly you choose to believe Haggs when he says something you agree with, but how easily dismissive you are when he doesn't.

Kaoz is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
  #804
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 7,944
vCash: 500
NHL Team Values 2012: Toronto Maple Leafs Are First Hockey Team Worth $1 Billion
Quote:
But the spread between the rich and poor teams is dramatic. The five most valuable teams–the Maple Leafs ($1 billion), New York Rangers ($750 million), Montreal Canadiens ($575 million), Chicago Blackhawks ($350 million) and Boston Bruins ($348 million)–are worth $605 million, on average. The five least valuable–the Carolina Hurricanes ($162 million), New York Islanders ($155 million), Columbus Blue Jackets ($145 million), Phoenix Coyotes ($134 million) and St. Louis Blues ($130 million)–are worth just $145 million, on average.

There is also an incredible bifurcation of cash flow. Overall operating income (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) almost doubled during the 2011-12 season, to $250 million. But the sport’s three most profitable teams–the Maple Leafs ($81.9 million), Rangers ($74 million), Canadians ($51.6 million)–accounted for 83% of the league’s income, while 13 of 30 teams lost money, before non-cash expenses and interest payments.

If the salary cap were lowered to, say, 50% of revenue and the subsidies from high-revenue teams to their low-revenue rivals were increased to $200 million from the current $150 million, which is essentially where the two sides seem to be headed, small-market team values would get a big boost (as was the case in the NBA when the New Orleans Hornets and Memphis Grizzles sold for $338 million and $330 million, respectively, after the league worked out a new labor pact last year). The league’s overall profitability would also increase. But teams like the Carolina Hurricanes, Phoenix Coyotes, Tampa Bay Lightning, Anaheim Ducks and Columbus Blue Jackets would still have trouble making money unless they went at least two rounds in the playoffs.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:34 PM
  #805
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
If he didn't ok the extra money for Peverley and Kelly to put us over the cap (had to LTIR Savard) we would have never won that Cup...
Sure. Do I get to list all the things he's done wrong? because I'm fairly certain one list will be much longer than the other.

JJ has made his money many times over on Bruins fans. IMO he owed them/us, still does. Maybe when the lockout he's pushing ends he can do something else right.

Therick67 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
  #806
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Sure. Do I get to list all the things he's done wrong? because I'm fairly certain one list will be much longer than the other.

JJ has made his money many times over on Bruins fans. IMO he owed them/us, still does. Maybe when the lockout he's pushing ends he can do something else right.
Out of curiosity, I'd love to see a list. Type away

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:41 PM
  #807
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Out of curiosity, I'd love to see a list. Type away
Can we start with the last lockout that he completley miscalualted? How about 3 guys he just signed before the current CBA expired because he was expecting another roll back?

Therick67 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:43 PM
  #808
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Can we start with the last lockout that he completley miscalualted? How about 3 guys he just signed before the current CBA expired because he was expecting another roll back?

proof or assumption?

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
  #809
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahbrations View Post
Haggs is a hack, unless he writes an opinion piece that aligns with my bias!
my confusion lies in the fact that "haggs" didn't mention tim thomas or chick fil-A or the white house once in that entire article.

neelynugs is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
  #810
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
proof or assumption?
Then why would they be signed at that point? because he thought the players would be getting more?

Therick67 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
  #811
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
my confusion lies in the fact that "haggs" didn't mention tim thomas or chick fil-A or the white house once in that entire article.
Or the man's name who was so rudely interrupted.

patty59 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:02 PM
  #812
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!
 
Roll 4 Lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bear Country
Country: United States
Posts: 5,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Then why would they be signed at that point? because he thought the players would be getting more?
I'm not trying to side with JJ here, but it could just be that he allows his GM to actually be a GM.

Roll 4 Lines is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
  #813
Therick67
Registered User
 
Therick67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 4,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I'm not trying to side with JJ here, but it could just be that he allows his GM to actually be a GM.
He's one of the driving forces behind this lockout, he's going to let Chia sign these guys to these deals right before a lockout? I have nou doubt he's expecting a roll back of some sort. He was caught with his pants down the last time.

Therick67 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:15 PM
  #814
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin
 
Lost Horizons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Everywhere
Country: United States
Posts: 7,944
vCash: 500
In 04 I'm sure JJ tip his hand to MOC on what was coming but that roster mess was all MOC doing. After the lockout ended MOC signed players were players he tried to trade for earlier and always coveted. Isbister, Scatchard, Leetch, Zhamnov. Too bad they were all past their prime. He even traded for Stuart who was someone he always wanted.

Lost Horizons is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:20 PM
  #815
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Amherst, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 12,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
I'm not trying to side with JJ here, but it could just be that he allows his GM to actually be a GM.
now there's an idea

KnightofBoston is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 02:29 PM
  #816
Morris Wanchuk
.......
 
Morris Wanchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: War Memorial Arena
Country: United States
Posts: 14,835
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I spent my first 10-15 years of being a Bruins fan hating JJ. What did that get me? nothing because he is not selling the team.

So what do I do now? Root for the NHL to change the way JJ wants it too. It worked beautify in 2004. People may say since they spend to the cap, the team won't benefit from a 7% reduction... but that 7% can pay for more scouts and management.

As for 2004.. I don't think JJ or any other NHL GM expected the 24% rollback (which the players offered). It allowed the Detroits of the world to keep their players.

In the end, it seems much more likely that the NHL financial landscape will change to match JJ needs, than JJ will change his business model to keep the team competitive. Which is why I can't see how a Bruins fan would be behind Fehr and his hatred to the salary cap. Take that away and we are back to pre 2004 Bruins... eww.

1994 lockout was a big victory for the players... is it a coincidence it also began one of the worst stretched in Bruins history?

Morris Wanchuk is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 03:17 PM
  #817
hoss75
Registered User
 
hoss75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cambridge, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I spent my first 10-15 years of being a Bruins fan hating JJ. What did that get me? nothing because he is not selling the team.

So what do I do now? Root for the NHL to change the way JJ wants it too. It worked beautify in 2004. People may say since they spend to the cap, the team won't benefit from a 7% reduction... but that 7% can pay for more scouts and management.

As for 2004.. I don't think JJ or any other NHL GM expected the 24% rollback (which the players offered). It allowed the Detroits of the world to keep their players.

In the end, it seems much more likely that the NHL financial landscape will change to match JJ needs, than JJ will change his business model to keep the team competitive. Which is why I can't see how a Bruins fan would be behind Fehr and his hatred to the salary cap. Take that away and we are back to pre 2004 Bruins... eww.

1994 lockout was a big victory for the players... is it a coincidence it also began one of the worst stretched in Bruins history?
This is a really thoughtful post. I'm on board.

hoss75 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 03:49 PM
  #818
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co
 
Dom - OHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stratford, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,716
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
gary lawless ‏@garylawless
Bill Daly and a team source tell me Jacobs-Jets rep incident never happened #NHLJets #bn
Lawless 2 - Haggs 1

Dom - OHL is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 03:50 PM
  #819
Shaun
beauty
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 21,178
vCash: 50
Typical

Shaun is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 03:59 PM
  #820
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Lawless 2 - Haggs 1
and there's also this one:

Ted Wyman ‏@Ted_Wyman
Am now told by two sources the incident between Jeremy Jacobs and #NHLJets never happened #NHLPA #CBA

neelynugs is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 04:02 PM
  #821
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Ouch... right in the credibility.

Dogberry is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 04:37 PM
  #822
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,122
vCash: 500
Because Bill Daly would never lie about something like this. Haggs is terrible and could have made it up, but the NHL side denying it even if it happened isn't surprising. So in essence I have no idea.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 04:40 PM
  #823
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 8,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Because Bill Daly would never lie about something like this. Haggs is terrible and could have made it up, but the NHL side denying it even if it happened isn't surprising. So in essence I have no idea.
Quote:
gary lawless ‏@garylawless
Bill Daly and a team source tell me Jacobs-Jets rep incident never happened #NHLJets #bn
Quote:
Ted Wyman ‏@Ted_Wyman
Am now told by two sources the incident between Jeremy Jacobs and #NHLJets never happened #NHLPA #CBA
Looks like Haggs loses to me.

Dogberry is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 04:45 PM
  #824
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 20,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
Ouch... right in the credibility.
He never had any to begin with. Glad he's been exposed as a liar.

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.