HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA Discussion Part IV (Lockout talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 04:48 PM
bruinsfan46

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
Looks like Haggs loses to me.
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
This morning, an NHL marketer said the league is "known for lying". Something to remember in any league denials of any news report.

It's not a closed shut case for me either way. My gut says Haggs is lying or embellished, but I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Old
11-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
This morning, an NHL marketer said the league is "known for lying". Something to remember in any league denials of any news report.

It's not a closed shut case for me either way. My gut says Haggs is lying or embellished, but I don't have a strong opinion either way.
Adam Proteau always defends Haggs so take that with a grain of salt.

I am Boston Strong

Old
11-28-2012, 05:06 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Adam Proteau always defends Haggs so take that with a grain of salt.
proteau is a top-10 PA shill (lumped in with brooks, shoalts, dowbiggin, botta, etc). borderline useless writer/reporter to boot.

as for "haggs", the islanders basically excommunicated chris botta from the church, so to speak - banning him from their arena. jacobs seems like a guy who could easily match charles wang. could be interesting theatre.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:15 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I'm not in the least a Haggerty fan, but that tale out of the meeting is pretty damn revealing. Unless you think he made it up?
I'd prefer the direct quotes over his interpretation of events. We've all seen/read the bias he is capable of.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:19 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Holy crap.

He blasts a guy who wants to work on settling the lockout, and you "love" him? Please tell me this is sarcasm.
Hell yeah...outside of Winnipeg nobody cares about the Jets or their thoughts...

I betcha it never happened anyways..anything to paint JJ the bad guy..

Old
11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Hell yeah...outside of Winnipeg nobody cares about the Jets or their thoughts...

I betcha it never happened anyways..anything to paint JJ the bad guy..

It's a sport for some. I think that's why I've gone out of my way to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dude could donate a million dollars to the Jimmy Fund and people would ***** that he didn't do it fast enough and say it's an accounting practice.

He might be a ****** owner in a lot of ways, but he's a damn good businessman. Too many folks forget that he wears two hats, and it's damn hard to wear both of them well from a fan perspective.

Old
11-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Orrthebest

Ted Lindsay an originator of the PA gives his thoughts:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...layers-lockout

Old
11-28-2012, 06:09 PM
jahbrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
proteau is a top-10 PA shill (lumped in with brooks, shoalts, dowbiggin, botta, etc). borderline useless writer/reporter to boot.
Yes he is, more likely top 5. You could also remove 'borderline' for a more accurate description.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:24 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post

as for "haggs", the islanders basically excommunicated chris botta from the church, so to speak - banning him from their arena. jacobs seems like a guy who could easily match charles wang. could be interesting theatre.
I roll my eyes when these guys "report" things. Not surprised at the lengths they are going to defend him.

Shawn Thornton banned him last season and after this, I think Jacobs will follow suit.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by the negotiator View Post
Looks like after a couple of years of good press, the Jeremy Jacobs we all know is raising his ugly head. The guy is a businessman pure and simple and will do anything to make a buck...that's always been the case and is so now. The contrarian thing is given the team the Bs have today, he'd make more with a team on the ice but let's not let facts get in the way of ego. The other reason why I think this is an ego driven position-if you look at the Delaware North annual report, the Bs are less then 10% of its total annual revenue so their overall financial performance is a small part of his empire

And...I know myself well enough to know if there is a season I'll be in my seats and that is what JJ is counting on. But the Pro Shop, the concession stands, anything that Delaware North has a stake in won't see a dime of my business. Maybe if enough of us act that way he'd get the message- of course first we need a season.
Larry Brooks two weeks ago was on this before the Haggs story pointing the finger directly at JJ.

I can say this with 100% certainty- that rep of the Winnipeg Jets if he is even at the Board of Governors meeting next Wednesday can bring popcorn and sit in the corner, because the heavy hitters who are older and been around about as long as JJ if not longer are going to have there say,

I hope whoever is a hawk at that meeting had a good night sleep and is ready for some angst because its going to be wild, wild, wild in there

I wonder if JJ would say that to anyone owning a team with his concessions in their building....man, is this going to be epic

It would be a shame to see the Leafs get to a billion in value only to have another lost season and get back into da millions with the rest of the boys

btw if the Leafs even made the playoffs, forget the Cup, what are they worth

Old
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
You would think by now that people would realize the NHL is a corporation and simply not controlled by a singular Boogeyman.
Geez.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
You would think by now that people would realize the NHL is a corporation and simply not controlled by a singular Boogeyman.
Geez.
I've worked at corporations that are very much controlled by a singular Boogeyman. Not saying the NHL is.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:58 PM
bruinmann77

Funny he did not mention Fehr at all guess he must be the good guy here.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:01 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Good riddance to "Haggs", then, finally?

Old
11-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Larry Brooks two weeks ago was on this before the Haggs story pointing the finger directly at JJ.

I can say this with 100% certainty- that rep of the Winnipeg Jets if he is even at the Board of Governors meeting next Wednesday can bring popcorn and sit in the corner, because the heavy hitters who are older and been around about as long as JJ if not longer are going to have there say,

I hope whoever is a hawk at that meeting had a good night sleep and is ready for some angst because its going to be wild, wild, wild in there

I wonder if JJ would say that to anyone owning a team with his concessions in their building....man, is this going to be epic

It would be a shame to see the Leafs get to a billion in value only to have another lost season and get back into da millions with the rest of the boys

btw if the Leafs even made the playoffs, forget the Cup, what are they worth
The Leafs also stand to be the most affected by increased revenue sharing and they paid a ridiculous amount of money for a majority share in the company. They've also been very supportive of Burke in his disdain for long term, cap circumventing contracts. Not to mention, they're still pulling in money from the Raptors, Toronto FC and the Air Canada Center.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they weren't a hardliner in either direction. Plus, they're Canadian, we're pretty apathetic at times up here.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:15 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
[/B]

It's a sport for some. I think that's why I've gone out of my way to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dude could donate a million dollars to the Jimmy Fund and people would ***** that he didn't do it fast enough and say it's an accounting practice.

He might be a ****** owner in a lot of ways, but he's a damn good businessman. Too many folks forget that he wears two hats, and it's damn hard to wear both of them well from a fan perspective.
Yeah I'm not sure when fans forgot that... Like they say, "It's nothing personal, just business"

It's also hilarious that JJ has been made the poster boy for the "Evil Empire". He was the loser of the last lockout too, right? You know, the one where the cap started at what 39 mil and went up to 70 mil in 6 years... Glad I don't have to deal with those kind of raises! I would be destitute...

Dude was a hero when he sucked up Dave Lewis contract and didn't fire Chiarelli for that that disaster....He was lauded for bringing in Cam Neely...Gave the OK for Chia to go over the cap and spend more money on Peverley, Kelly and Kaberle for the Cup run....Or Ok'ing massive extensions to a guy like Tyler Seguin who hasn't done much in this league yet... or give Lucic 6 mil... Or give the OK to get Chara and Savard in the first place...

JJ is evil..he sucks... We will never win **** under his reign... Oh wait.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:18 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

you don't understand, wbc, it hasn't all been sunshine and roses! not every move has worked out under jacobs' watch, i'll have you know!

Old
11-28-2012, 07:20 PM
WBC8

As far as Haggs, he's one of the better reporters / story writers the Bruins have. Dude is never afraid to take a stand and will defend his position. I don't agree with everything he says, but I like his style and he's a big a fan as we are.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:22 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
you don't understand, wbc, it hasn't all been sunshine and roses! not every move has worked out under jacobs' watch, i'll have you know!
I used to love when he'd get blamed for the Bruins early play-off ousters when the Bourque-led Bruins would choke against inferior teams.. JJ never spends money! Doesn't matter the Bruins finished 30 ots ahead of Montreal..JJ SUcks!... Atleast with him around the players rarely have to worry about being the badguys...

Old
11-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Fabrication... just like the news of ATL moving to WPG 1 week before the NHL officially announced it.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:52 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahbrations View Post
Yes he is, more likely top 5. You could also remove 'borderline' for a more accurate description.
oh yeah, i was just being unnecessarily kind. i'd actually be disappointed to find out that proteau and his PA asskisser colleagues aren't being paid off by fehr et al. brooks may as well have a PA ID and password into their secret website - he could be their "beat writer" with the stuff he spews daily.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:37 PM
ORRMAN

(
Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure when fans forgot that... Like they say, "It's nothing personal, just business"

It's also hilarious that JJ has been made the poster boy for the "Evil Empire". He was the loser of the last lockout too, right? You know, the one where the cap started at what 39 mil and went up to 70 mil in 6 years... Glad I don't have to deal with those kind of raises! I would be destitute...

Dude was a hero when he sucked up Dave Lewis contract and didn't fire Chiarelli for that that disaster....He was lauded for bringing in Cam Neely...Gave the OK for Chia to go over the cap and spend more money on Peverley, Kelly and Kaberle for the Cup run....Or Ok'ing massive extensions to a guy like Tyler Seguin who hasn't done much in this league yet... or give Lucic 6 mil... Or give the OK to get Chara and Savard in the first place...

The only reason we won a Cup under Jacobs' ownership is the salary cap. Before the salary cap, the Bruins had arguably the worst reputation when it came to the way they treated players, from a salary perspective and otherwise. Before the salary cap, we just couldn't ice a team that could successfully compete with the teams where salary budget was not an issue.

I happened to talk to a Bruin who went from Boston to Toronto, and the stories he told about how Toronto treated players, compared to the way Jacobs and his clan did, was illuminating. The fact that we had to spend $5 million a year to land Marty LaPointe (when the Habs were the closest bidder at half that) is proof of just that lousy, well-earned reputation. Jeremy Roenick, a free agent and local kid, refused to sign with the Bruins due to reputation

I am of the opinion that NHL teams should not be owned by businessmen who have, primarily, a profit motive. I think Jacobs is precisely that. The world of professional sports should be a playground for rich owners who want to win. Take the '94 Rangers. I hated that they bought the best players and won a Cup. But, if that were my team, I would have loved it.

Before the salary cap, the Bruins were never near the top in payroll. Sinden had to put a profitable team on the ice. Ultimately, due to salary constraints and a spurious reputation, we had a few great players (Neely, Bourque and Oates), but we lacked the depth required to win it all.

If there were no salary cap, we would not have one a Cup. Period.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Can we start with the last lockout that he completley miscalualted? How about 3 guys he just signed before the current CBA expired because he was expecting another roll back?
I remember Sinden being shocked by the free agency age. The B's badly miscalculated.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:59 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
I have often questioned his judgement. I have not called him a "liar."

It astound me how many people here are pro Jacobs. Never thought I'd live to see the day. Next time he appears in public I'm sure he'll get a standing O for his role in the lockout.
I could not agree more. Did the Cup victory erase years of player and fan abuse?

Old
11-29-2012, 05:54 AM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:

Was he a hero for sucking up dave lewis contract? or just not blind? yes he gave looch a 6 million dollar cont.. oh wait he doesn't want to pay him in full. I'm not saying he sucks.. but he doesn't give two colliding ****s about his fans who have given him a lot of money over the years. Most of the misgivings you can have against the bruins goes on the head of sinden.. everyone acts like it was incredible he stayed here for almost 30 years or more. When you're on leash like his and you stay near the peg and don't ever try to you know.. chase a cat or get aggressive.. you'll always get a nice head rub from your owner.

Quote:
I used to love when he'd get blamed for the Bruins early play-off ousters when the Bourque-led Bruins would choke against inferior teams.. JJ never spends money! Doesn't matter the Bruins finished 30 ots ahead of Montreal..JJ SUcks!... Atleast with him around the players rarely have to worry about being the badguys...
Like i said before those problems should go on the gm and management. Was he cheap.. yes.. but they had some good talent in those years, once again.. sinden didn't do enough to win. Another problem with JJ is that he's been for the balance of his ownership.. an absentee owner. Only when he brought his son into the fold did he start showing his face more and more. I actually can't wait till lil jacobs takes over. I think he "gets it" when it comes to perception with his fans.

Closed Thread