HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Science
Science A place to discuss natural, formal and applied science topics such as chemistry, physics, biology, logic, engineering, etc.

No more cables - power/data xfered from wall paper/carpet?

Old
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
No more cables - power/data xfered from wall paper/carpet?

http://www2.electronicproducts.com/O...2012-html.aspx

Quote:
Researchers from the Department of Engineering at the University of Oxford have developed a new technology that goes beyond wireless advancement and that allows for the transmission of data between electronic devices and has the potential to eliminate the need for power and data cables completely.

This technology is the result of the team’s study of metamaterials, man-made materials that have properties that natural ones don’t. The team studied metamaterials that acted as magneto-inductive wave guides and magneto-inductive power surfaces. These kinds of inductive materials are similar to those found in the charging unit of your electric toothbrush. (These materials not only charge, but can transfer data as well.)

By embedding copper coils in a conductive layer of material to form a sealed circuit board, you can create a chip with no legs and pins that can be glued onto a metaboard. The new surface technology can achieve a data-transfer rate of 3.5 gigabits per second and hundreds of watts of power. “The circuits have the capacity for increased performance,” said Dr. Chris Stevens, lead researcher on the team.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Fiver optics have almost no upper limit on information transfer speed - I think we'll probably stick with them.

Even right now, they've apparently got cables transmitting at speeds of 100 terabits / second.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 10:42 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Would this potentially be more dangerous than insulated wiring? Running electricity through my (very flammable) floors and carpets doesn't sound too enticing.

Unless i'm misreading this completely

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Great, now I have to be careful not to vacuum up my episode of Boardwalk Empire in the living room?

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2012, 06:05 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Fiver optics have almost no upper limit on information transfer speed - I think we'll probably stick with them.

Even right now, they've apparently got cables transmitting at speeds of 100 terabits / second.
I Would imagine their looking at this from the perspective of consumer electronics and data, not infrastructure. Fiber isn't going anywhere for a long long time

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote