HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Has D.Sedin surpassed Naslund as the better canuck in their prime?

View Poll Results: Well
Yes 33 68.75%
Not yet but soon 7 14.58%
No never 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Yes, I believe D. Sedin has done enough to surpass Naslund.

Also winning an Art Ross And a Ted Lindsay in the same year does help plead his case.
Naslund won the Pearson in 2003 and finished 2nd in scoring in 2002 and 2003, and 4th in 2004. He finished 7-5-2-7 from 2001 to 2004, and 4-8-9 in assists from 2002 to 2004.

Sedin is a very good player. But he has a little more work to do to match what Naslund did let alone surpass it. Naslund played in a lower scoring era and scored more GPG and PPG than either Sedin, with worse linemates.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
RDRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Naslund won the Pearson in 2003 and finished 2nd in scoring in 2002 and 2003, and 4th in 2004. He finished 7-5-2-7 from 2001 to 2004, and 4-8-9 in assists from 2002 to 2004.

Sedin is a very good player. But he has a little more work to do to match what Naslund did let alone surpass it. Naslund played in a lower scoring era and scored more GPG and PPG than either Sedin, with worse linemates.
This. Naslund is being underrated.

The results of the poll are kind of funny to me in a way. When Naslund was in his prime, I remember fans of other team's would often call him unstoppable. Whereas when Daniel Sedin comes to town, the general consensus is "HIT THE SEDINS GET THEM OF THE GAME IT'S EASY".

I'm not saying you can take the Sedins off their game by targeting them (I actually believe that's the worst thing you can do), but I remember there being so much more respect for Naslund's ability, in his prime, than Daniel's. Odd poll results.

RDRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDRR View Post
This. Naslund is being underrated.

The results of the poll are kind of funny to me in a way. When Naslund was in his prime, I remember fans of other team's would often call him unstoppable. Whereas when Daniel Sedin comes to town, the general consensus is "HIT THE SEDINS GET THEM OF THE GAME IT'S EASY".

I'm not saying you can take the Sedins off their game by targeting them (I actually believe that's the worst thing you can do), but I remember there being so much more respect for Naslund's ability, in his prime, than Daniel's. Odd poll results.
This is because the unjustified hate the Canucks get (on this website). On the outside people can hate Daniel (or Henrik) all they want, but deep down they know the Sedins are good players. Back then the Canucks weren't as hated, thus more people liked Naslund which lead to less negative comments directed towards him.

In fact, I would say Naslund was LESS physical than Daniel and that is saying something

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Corey Perry and his hart trophy might have something to say about that.
Being the most valuable player to your team is not the same as being the best player in the league. Besides, Crosby was the best player in the league, by a wide margin. He just had his season cut short.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Being the most valuable player to your team is not the same as being the best player in the league. Besides, Crosby was the best player in the league, by a wide margin. He just had his season cut short.
This really aggravates me. Crosby played half the season that year. How can you be the best if you don't play anywhere near an entire season?

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 08:53 PM
nowhereman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
This really aggravates me. Crosby played half the season that year. How can you be the best if you don't play anywhere near an entire season?
Even as a diehard Canucks and Daniel Sedin fan, I can't bring myself to say he was the best player playing in the NHL that season. Crosby was miles better. However, he did have the best 82 game season, which counts for a hell of a lot.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Sevanston

Not as long as Henrik is playing.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Markus Naslund is one of the most underrated star players of the modern era (I'd say Theo Fleury, John Leclair, and Tony Amonte being three of the others).

One of the key differences between Markus and the Sedins atm is that Markus played for a significantly weaker team until Bertuzzi/Morrison took a step forward. Their 2nd best fwd was Andrew Cassels until 2001 ffs. Messier packed it in and Mogilny had injury problems beforehand so he was the best fwd on the team by a wide margin for a time period. The other difference is that he was probably faster than either Sedin and a better shooter than at least Henrik but not as good of a playmaker. The similarity is that he was also basically non-existent defensively but he wasn't a centre either.

However I have to respect him because by watching him it was apparent how good he was. If he played on a better team and there was no lockout 1 then he would've had at least another if not 2-3 more 82+ pts seasons and maybe another 100+ pt season.

At their peaks I find it completely impossible to judge the Sedins as individuals but I would not say that Naslund was significantly better than either one of them. However one thing I will say is that in that playoff series against Boston if he had been at his peak, he would've performed better in that series than the Sedins in terms of being a game changer.

Also I have no problem with his jersey retirement. It's reasonable to have 1-2 players have their jerseys retired per decade, more if you win cups. Bure can be considered a retirement from the 90s Cancuks and Linden/Naslund can be considered Canucks retirements of the 00s. The Sedins in hopefully the '10s. I don't get why people get so up in arms about Markus Naslund, anyone whose old enough and has seen the Canucks in this decade probably thinks of the Naslund as the Canucks franchise player in the first half of the decade and maybe Luongo/Sedins in the 2nd half.

Btw on an ironic note, I expect the Sedins to decline just like Naslund did if there's a full season lockout and offense stays the same like it was last season (tight defensive hockey). If offense goes up like it did last time then they'll be okay. They especially Henrik have better hockey sense anyways. Henrik could probably still put up 60ish pts or more when he's 40 just based on his elite vision and passing.

Last edited by Kloparren: 11-15-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 11:45 PM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
As for the question, I think there's a lot of short memories who only think of Naslund's last couple years. I don't think Daniel has passed him yet. If he stayed healthy in '10 and last year, then maybe
I agree, Naslund in his prime during the WCE years was a top 5 player, not just winger but player in the league at the time. In fact maybe even top 3 that year he put up 105pts. He posessed the 2nd best wrister in the league behind Sakic. No goalie could stop his wrister coming off the boards on his off wing.

D. Sedin is good but hes not even top 10 in the league. Sure he won the Art Ross but dont forget Crosby was out that year.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote