HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART II

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

vCash: 500
Unrelated:

I was skeptical about Samuelsson, but he's looked very solid in the games he played.

Old
11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Pens win.

Another nice performance from Zatkoff as well as Bennett.

Farnham mancrush continues to grow.
He's looking like a great signing. If he can maintain something close to this level of play, he'll slide right into the back-up role when Vokoun's contract expires.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:06 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
I didnt know there were 60 eberles/RNH/Schenns in the AHL..... Would be nice to have some more firepower up front, thats all.
Way to miss the point. Those 60 guys are much more talented than the 60 guys in previous years because of the lock out. You want firepower Bennett is it. Anything more your talking a top ten pick.

If Bennett was from Europe or was Scandinavian people would be in love with him.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Way to miss the point. Those 60 guys are much more talented than the 60 guys in previous years because of the lock out. You want firepower Bennett is it. Anything more your talking a top ten pick.

If Bennett was from Europe or was Scandinavian people would be in love with him.
You're getting way too defensive about this, to the point of inferring things that aren't there. He's saying the Baby Pens don't have much in the way of scoring if their leading scorer is 61st in the league (not every more productive AHL player this year is a blue-chipper, either), and that could be a product of not making forward skill a higher priority at the draft across the board.

It is not an commentary on Bennett personally, so please stop tilting at windmills.

Old
11-25-2012, 11:54 AM
mr sidney crosby

Who's been the most impressing player so far? Haven't been following the little penguins much

Old
11-25-2012, 12:05 PM
penguins2946*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Who's been the most impressing player so far? Haven't been following the little penguins much
Dumoulin, Bennett or Zatkoff. All 3 have been great.

Old
11-25-2012, 12:43 PM
PensFan6687

Again, always thought Brian Dumoulin was our top prospect. Still early in the game. How has Simon Despres looked so far in WBS?

Old
11-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Jacob

A lot of real good NHL defenseman looked pretty mediocre at the AHL level, so it's hard to gauge an AHL d-man's expected NHL success. The AHL game is very erratic, much more north-south and systems aren't followed as closely as they are in the NHL. That said, even though Despres had at least 2 egregious turnovers in the game last night, he also looked like the most NHL-ready guy as well. The mistakes he, Strait, and Bort made were AHL mistakes if that makes sense. They're less likely to happen at the highest level where systems are more defined, your teammates are more talented and more capable of bailing you out, and where you don't have to worry about ****** ice or a referee standing right in front of you.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:08 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
A lot of real good NHL defenseman looked pretty mediocre at the AHL level, so it's hard to gauge an AHL d-man's expected NHL success. The AHL game is very erratic, much more north-south and systems aren't followed as closely as they are in the NHL. That said, even though Despres had at least 2 egregious turnovers in the game last night, he also looked like the most NHL-ready guy as well. The mistakes he, Strait, and Bort made were AHL mistakes if that makes sense. They're less likely to happen at the highest level where systems are more defined, your teammates are more talented and more capable of bailing you out, and where you don't have to worry about ****** ice or a referee standing right in front of you.
I understand this. I was a AHL season ticket holder for 10 years (now a Jets season ticket holder), and I am quite good at scouting players. I still am curious to see how Simon Despres has looked to those who have been observing the baby Penguin games. I know that players at the AHL have a lack of picking up certain defensive assignments vs. the NHL. Many NHL goalies have even come out and said they find the AHL more difficult because of that. I keep hearing good stuff about Dumoulin and Samuelsson. Just curious to see how Despres has looked. I know he's a big boy, and aside from his one fight, I haven't heard much about his game in these threads.

So yeah, sounds like Simon still needs to do some work in his end. He's still raw at the pro level. And trust me I know all about bail outs... When we had the Moose, Nolan Baumgartner constantly got bailed out by his defensive partner. I think we just kept him as long as we did because he was so great in the community and was solid on the PP. Albeit, as he got older his shot was useless.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Exactly and well said. This is why I say that guy's like Bennett will look better in the NHL than he will in the AHL. You just have more capable guys with the big squad. In order for a guy to be successful, he needs to be playing with others who think the game on his level, not with career AHL'ers.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:18 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Exactly and well said. This is why I say that guy's like Bennett will look better in the NHL than he will in the AHL. You just have more capable guys with the big squad. In order for a guy to be successful, he needs to be playing with others who think the game on his level, not with career AHL'ers.
For sure, why a James Neal looks better around better talent. I get this. I am not uneducated when it comes to how guys play in an environment or with certain players. I was simply asking how has Despres looked in the AHL games he has played in this year. Don't care about what he did yesteryear or what he'll do next year. Just what he has done so far in the A this season. Also doesn't help that they are constantly changing the defensive pairings. I am assuming with such a young team, and a team with crazy depth that has seen even guys like Morrow and Dumoulin sit, that effects a player's game to a good degree. In any case, I like this team's future going ahead.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:31 PM
MonsterSurge

Does anyone have a link for today? Farnham has a few guys he can go with today.

Old
11-25-2012, 02:51 PM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Does anyone have a link for today? Farnham has a few guys he can go with today.
I cant find one yet. I think im gonna get this one on AHL live.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Burgs

First AHL goal for Tom Kühnhackl.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
First AHL goal for Tom Kühnhackl.
Good! I have high hopes for the kid.

Edit: He got an A too!

Old
11-25-2012, 03:35 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Wow! They're actually playing him, huh?

Must be his birthday or something.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
Good! I have high hopes for the kid.

Edit: He got an A too!
He actually has an A!?

According to AHL, Peters, Smith and Reese are our As, 14 for the Devils has an A, though.

Old
11-25-2012, 03:41 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecz View Post
He actually has an A!?

According to AHL, Peters, Smith and Reese are our As, 14 for the Devils has an A, though.
I mean assist .

Hopefully today will cause Hynes to put him out there more. I'd like to see him with Beau.

Unrelated, did I hear a Pesonen?!?

Old
11-25-2012, 03:49 PM
MonsterSurge

Totally called Farnham fighting...Lol.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
I mean assist .

Hopefully today will cause Hynes to put him out there more. I'd like to see him with Beau.

Unrelated, did I hear a Pesonen?!?
Harri Pesonen.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Man, Charlotte was supposed to give OKC a challenge today, but the Oilers kids are lighting em up. Schultz has 4 points this afternoon, bringing him to 29 points in 18 games.

That's ridiculous.

Old
11-25-2012, 04:46 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Man, Charlotte was supposed to give OKC a challenge today, but the Oilers kids are lighting em up. Schultz has 4 points this afternoon, bringing him to 29 points in 18 games.

That's ridiculous.
Really feel for the Ducks

Old
11-25-2012, 04:59 PM
JTG

Yeah, Schultz is destroying the AHL. I looked at OKC's page the other day because I was curious to see how the dream team was doing.

And I do feel bad for the Ducks.

Old
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

I don't feel bad for the Ducks. If they want to recoup a puck-moving defense prospect, they know where to find us...and what they'll have to give up.

Crisitunity!

Old
11-25-2012, 05:13 PM
mr sidney crosby

Is beau Bennett doing good? How does he look? Highly skilled?

Closed Thread