HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART II

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

vCash: 500
Wow. Tough to be a WB/S fan, lately.

Shots were 44-15 in favor of the Baby Pens. Lose 3-1.

I'm going to assume many of those shots were of the Tyler Kennedy variety, though.

Old
01-04-2013, 08:58 PM
hctopcheds11

Got the chance to watch Bennett tonight for the first time with decent quality. Lets put it this way, I missed his goal and I still was very excited about how he played. Very handsy and seems to create offense whenever he has the puck.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:04 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

WBS, Only 1 win in their last 11 games.

Old
01-05-2013, 03:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Scary, but glad Bennett is still doing well (sounds like). If this mess ends and we have a season / camp, and he has a great camp maybe we'll get to see him in a "pre-season stint" like Morrow last year. After that though, 100% fine with him continuing his development in WBS this year.

Old
01-05-2013, 04:33 PM
ss53mech

I'll be at the game tonight if anyone else is there feel free to look me up.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
wej20

Can't find a stream but Bennett and Gibbons assisted on a Ferriero goal, WBS 1-0 up with the 1st period almost done.

Old
01-05-2013, 06:56 PM
ss53mech

Bennet with a nice assist on that goal.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Jacob

Basically if the NHL season ends up starting soon I think Bennett is in the top-6 and Tangradi gets waived, along with Strait. They'll clear easily.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:38 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Basically if the NHL season ends up starting soon I think Bennett is in the top-6 and Tangradi gets waived, along with Strait. They'll clear easily.
interested to see how the forward lines play out, as I see it there is one spot open next to Sid (though Bylsma will be tempted to bump everyone up a line and put the "rookie" on the 4th line). I guess there could be the 13th forward spot to if they want to start with Mac in WBS. Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bennett, Smith, Ferriero and Peters are battling for those spots but given the season so far Bennett and Jeffrey are the only two playing well.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
??? - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams
??? - MacIntyre

Defense is interesting to, do they use one of their buyouts on Lovejoy in order to allow both Strait and Bortuzzo to make the top 7, or Despres + one of Strait and Bortuzzo. Probably could even throw Dumoulin in the mix.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:45 PM
mpp9

Quote:
More like Tangradi gets his shot in the NHL one last time, then gets waived or traded if he doesn't pan out. No way do I waste years of him developing by taking a chance on him being picked up off waivers.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
I think Tangradi would get claimed, GMs still love their powerforwards. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke snagged him up.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Jacob

I just don't see it happening. There will be a lot of players on waivers that are better than Tangradi.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:53 PM
clefty
What?

Someone might make a claim, but I don't really care at this point, he looks more like J.F Jacques by the day.

Old
01-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
I just don't see it happening. There will be a lot of players on waivers that are better than Tangradi.
Probably, but you never know. It's not exactly the same situation in regards to the amount of people getting waived, but who ever thought someone would bother with claiming Nick Johnson?

Old
01-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Not like he's really tearing it up though, so, not a big loss.

Old
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Pens going into the 3rd up 3-0. How long until it's tied?

Old
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Second consecutive game that Despres is a healthy scratch. Its not good to help his case if the reason will start shortly... It also won't help Shero out if he was planning on moving him for a young winger at the start of the season...

Old
01-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Despres is just getting tough love. I doubt it changes too many peoples opinion of his upside. It's entirely possible that a guy like him will look better at the NHL level with much more skill around him.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Well, it's certainly not a *good* sign for Despres. But with all the defensemen they have available during the lockout, pretty much every one of them has had a stretch of scratches like this.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:19 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Well, it's certainly not a *good* sign for Despres. But with all the defensemen they have available during the lockout, pretty much every one of them has had a stretch of scratches like this.
Good point but still not a good enough excuse.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Surprised to see you say this, as you're one of the traditional "let 'em develop / don't rush things" guys here. I don't doubt it's possible but do you think he's ready, given only a short time in AHL and that he's not yet physically where they want him to be probably?

I can see Strait getting waived but I don't think they'll risk Tangradi. We are way too thin on decent offensive prospects to give one away for nothing even if there's a reasonable chance he wouldn't get picked up.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:54 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Surprised to see you say this, as you're one of the traditional "let 'em develop / don't rush things" guys here. I don't doubt it's possible but do you think he's ready, given only a short time in AHL and that he's not yet physically where they want him to be probably?

I can see Strait getting waived but I don't think they'll risk Tangradi. We are way too thin on decent offensive prospects to give one away for nothing even if there's a reasonable chance he wouldn't get picked up.

Strait won't get waived, because he has legitimate trade value. He is a young guy who has good mobility and is ready for the NHL. On probably half the teams in the league, he would have played on the 3rd pair full time last year; and I certainly think there are a lot of teams that would like a young guy with that cap-hit, who could be a future Rob Scuderi. Easily worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, IMO, and/or be packaged with someone else in a trade for a forward.

I do, sadly, agree about Tangradi, though. No way he gets waived just yet. He will be one of the few extra guys that gets invited to a shortened training camp if the lockout ends, and gets the "benefit of the doubt" trial of a few games if he performs ok and see if he catches any fire. If he does and the Pens still don't love him or fear inconsistency, trade him then. Worst case scenario is he'll just raise his trade value with a few good games. Can't be much worse now, so I don't see the downside.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Jacob

Every team has a Strait or two in their system. Nobody's gonna give up assets for ours.

Old
01-06-2013, 08:34 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
interested to see how the forward lines play out, as I see it there is one spot open next to Sid (though Bylsma will be tempted to bump everyone up a line and put the "rookie" on the 4th line). I guess there could be the 13th forward spot to if they want to start with Mac in WBS. Tangradi, Jeffrey, Bennett, Smith, Ferriero and Peters are battling for those spots but given the season so far Bennett and Jeffrey are the only two playing well.

Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
??? - Crosby - Dupuis
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy
Glass - Vitale - Adams
??? - MacIntyre

Defense is interesting to, do they use one of their buyouts on Lovejoy in order to allow both Strait and Bortuzzo to make the top 7, or Despres + one of Strait and Bortuzzo. Probably could even throw Dumoulin in the mix.
Why would they use a buy out on Lovejoy? He only makes 525K and they only own him 1/2 of that. That makes absolutely no sense at all. They can just waive him and send him to WBS and it will probably cost them about the same amount of money. The buy outs are for big contracts that will help relieve cap space.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Every team has a Strait or two in their system. Nobody's gonna give up assets for ours.

I think you are selling him short. He still has Scuderi type potential, and he's ready to play. There are a lot of teams whose 3rd pairing guys are worse than Strait (WSH, NYI, TOR, MIN are just a few teams that come to mind immediately). He is a fully developed, ready to play prospect who is a no maintenance player. He is worth a 2nd or 3rd easily.

Closed Thread