HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

WBS Penguins Hockey PART II

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
I have to say that I laughed out loud at the idea of Strait fetching a 2nd round pick. We'll see I guess.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Strait certainly won't fetch a 2nd rounder, but he'd definitely get plucked off waivers.

Everyone has a Brian Strait-type prospect in their system. Few of those are anywhere near NHL-ready, though.

He's worth a mid-rounder.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Valarukar

I feel like Strait has Letestu like value in a trade

Old
01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valarukar View Post
I feel like Strait has Letestu like value in a trade
We'd be lucky to get that, I'd say. Letestu had 70 games under his belt, was winning 55% of his face-offs, and producing at a 35 point pace when we dealt him.

What's the precedent in deals for waiver-eligible defensive defensemen picked in the middle rounds with only a handful of NHL games under their belt? Probably not much.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Valarukar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
We'd be lucky to get that, I'd say. Letestu had 70 games under his belt, was winning 55% of his face-offs, and producing at a 35 point pace when we dealt him.

What's the precedent in deals for waiver-eligible defensive defensemen picked in the middle rounds with only a handful of NHL games under their belt? Probably not much.
No idea honestly lol. In Shero I trust

Old
01-06-2013, 01:45 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post

And it's not like he's even having a great year in the AHL. He's been scratched a couple times himself... though every other d-man but Bortuzzo has up to this point.

I don't see any team giving up a draft pick for a guy that might some day top out as a solid #6 d-man (and certainly isn't there yet). If we can get something for him, great. But if there's no trade market for him I'd take the risk of waiving him and he can be the first call-up when injuries hit. You still need depth.

As far as waivers, I always think back in 05 when Colby Armstrong was the best player for the baby Pens in the lockout season, a former first round pick that could play a defensive or offensive role and he still cleared waivers. How many times did Scuds clear waivers in his career?

Old
01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
And it's not like he's even having a great year in the AHL. He's been scratched a couple times himself... though every other d-man but Bortuzzo has up to this point.

I don't see any team giving up a draft pick for a guy that might some day top out as a solid #6 d-man (and certainly isn't there yet). If we can get something for him, great. But if there's no trade market for him I'd take the risk of waiving him and he can be the first call-up when injuries hit. You still need depth.

As far as waivers, I always think back in 05 when Colby Armstrong was the best player for the baby Pens in the lockout season, a former first round pick that could play a defensive or offensive role and he still cleared waivers. How many times did Scuds clear waivers in his career?
Yep. Nobody likes losing a decent prospect for free, but Strait's not exceptional - I'm sure there will be a few Strait-calibre and better prospects on the waiver wire when we start up this year.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Beaudangles19

why isnt bennett playing?

Old
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
Going to training camp with the Pens, same deal with Tangradi, Bortuzzo being healthy scratches. Despres likely only playing because he's been scratched the last couple of games and they want him to get into a game before camp.

Holy ****, the Whale goalie has played almost 10 games and has gaa near 5 and a save% around .850. He's also 6'8. WBS still can't score.

Last edited by Sivek: 01-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
likely because he's getting ready for NHL training camp

Old
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
deakka

Lol at Thiessen making himself as small as a human being can possibly get on that goal...

Old
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I don't think Strait would even get picked up off waivers let alone fetch a draft pick. Not a knock on him, it's just that we aren't the only team that is going to expose decent prospects to the waiver wire. No real preseason and a lackluster AHL season aren't going to do him any favors either.

I mean, I guess someone could claim him...but I'd be surprised.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I don't think Strait would even get picked up off waivers let alone fetch a draft pick. Not a knock on him, it's just that we aren't the only team that is going to expose decent prospects to the waiver wire. No real preseason and a lackluster AHL season aren't going to do him any favors either.

I mean, I guess someone could claim him...but I'd be surprised.
I'd get rid of Lovejoy before thinking about unloading Strait. Strait and Bortuzzo would be ideal as a 3rd "cheap yet productive" pairing that have lots of proven chemistry with each other. They should remain together, in my opinion. Albeit not mcuch, Lovejoy probably has more value anyway.

Old
01-06-2013, 02:58 PM
SHOOTANDSCORE

Strait may not be Ray Bourque but don't forget the injury problems we have had.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:07 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Going to training camp with the Pens, same deal with Tangradi, Bortuzzo being healthy scratches. Despres likely only playing because he's been scratched the last couple of games and they want him to get into a game before camp.

Holy ****, the Whale goalie has played almost 10 games and has gaa near 5 and a save% around .850. He's also 6'8. WBS still can't score.
is Ferriero a healthy scratch to? interested to see if any other of the AHL vets get called up for camp.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Dangles78

Listen people....

We NEED Strait

His awesome beard growing abilities sets him up to be Duper's replacement. You can't just let something like that go for nothing.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Righteous beard not withstanding, put me in the camp that thinks we would waive Strait without much hesitation and cut Lovejoy loose too (vs. Tangradi or Bortuzzo), in whatever way his contract status allows (waived, traded for scraps, etc).

Not saying Strait has no potential value to this team but he's not the kind of player (especially in this situation) we'll get assets for. Look what Michalek brought us in a "no leverage" trade (exactly what this would be), and he's much better than either of those guys.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
WhoDaresWins
HFBoards Sponsor

Jonathan Bombulie ‏@CVBombulie
According to published reports out of Pittsburgh, Ray Shero said the camp roster would be 24-26 players

If you take the guys on one-ways and add Bennett, Tangradi and Bortuzzo, that's 23 players. Could easily be the opening night roster.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
If you take the guys on one-ways and add Bennett, Tangradi and Bortuzzo, that's 23 players. Could easily be the opening night roster.

Interesting thought although it's never that simple; Despres will almost certainly make the team IMO even though he wasn't scratched. Shero might go out and pick up a veteran UFA still.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:37 PM
wej20

My guess at the camp Roster:

Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
James Neal
Chris Kunitz
Brandon Sutter
Tyler Kennedy
Matt Cooke
Pascal Dupuis
Tanner Glass
Eric Tangradi
Craig Adams
Dustin Jeffrey
Joe Vitale
Steve MacIntyre
Beau Bennett
Benn Ferriero

Paul Martin
Brooks Orpik
Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen
Deryk Engelland
Ben Lovejoy
Robert Bortuzzo
Brian Strait

Marc Andre Fleury
Tomas Vokoun

Old
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Interesting thought although it's never that simple; Despres will almost certainly make the team IMO even though he wasn't scratched. Shero might go out and pick up a veteran UFA still.
do we know when the deadline will be?

Old
01-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

They haven't set the trade deadline or the UFA start date yet. The only thing we know for sure is this year, FA will start after July 1 because of the delayed end to the season. All subsequent years it will still be July 1.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Beaudangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post

I sweet. Hope he makes it. You think he will. He's better than tangradi. He isn't that young I mean he's 21.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Beaudangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
My guess at the camp Roster:

Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
James Neal
Chris Kunitz
Brandon Sutter
Tyler Kennedy
Matt Cooke
Pascal Dupuis
Tanner Glass
Eric Tangradi
Craig Adams
Dustin Jeffrey
Joe Vitale
Steve MacIntyre
Beau Bennett
Benn Ferriero

Paul Martin
Brooks Orpik
Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen
Deryk Engelland
Ben Lovejoy
Robert Bortuzzo
Brian Strait

Marc Andre Fleury
Tomas Vokoun
Forewords are about right. But on the D despres and morrow will definitly be there

Old
01-06-2013, 04:02 PM
wej20

Quote:
Forewords are about right. But on the D despres and morrow will definitly be there
Supposedly Shero said that the camp roster would be limited to 24-26 players, my list had 26 players. I guess you could lose Mac as he isn't actually needed in camp.

Closed Thread