HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

If you had complete control, where would you relocate/expand? (or contract?)

Closed Thread

Old
11-14-2012, 11:46 PM
Gundee1114

vCash: 500
If you had complete control, where would you relocate/expand? (or contract?)

I was talking with a buddy about the subject, and I thought it'd be an interesting topic. Personally, I'm for an expansion to 32 teams, just makes a lot of sense to me. And contraction to me is just not a positive outcome at all. But what I was talking about most with my buddy was just relocation, keeping the 30 teams, 2 conferences, 6 divisions approach.

What I would do, if given complete control over the process, would be moving the Coyotes to Quebec, the Panthers to the Toronto/Markham area, the Lightning to Seattle, and the Blue Jackets to Milwaukee. Phoenix is always in these rumors anyway, and the Seattle Thunder just sounds cool to me. No real explanation for the other two, other than I just picked Florida and Columbus, and I'd like to see Milwaukee have a team. After Seattle Thunder and Quebec Nordiques, not sure what I would name the other two.

Divisions and Conferences would look something like this, but may change, especially after some other input

Western Conference
Pacific - Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver
Central - Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Winnipeg
Midwest - Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis

Eastern Conference
Northeast - Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Toronto, Toronto2
Atlantic - Boston, Montreal, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Quebec
Southeast - Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Divisions could use different names maybe? Dallas and Minnesota are interchangeable to me in the West. The East is where it got tougher. I tried to keep most rivalries intact, unfortunately felt like I needed to move New Jersey away from the Rangers to keep the Boston-Montreal one.

Anyways, that's my idea, I'd definitely like to hear more ideas from you guys.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
I'm for it if we can name the Wisconsin team The Milwaukee like an Egyptian.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundee1114 View Post
I was talking with a buddy about the subject, and I thought it'd be an interesting topic. Personally, I'm for an expansion to 32 teams, just makes a lot of sense to me. And contraction to me is just not a positive outcome at all. But what I was talking about most with my buddy was just relocation, keeping the 30 teams, 2 conferences, 6 divisions approach.

What I would do, if given complete control over the process, would be moving the Coyotes to Quebec, the Panthers to the Toronto/Markham area, the Lightning to Seattle, and the Blue Jackets to Milwaukee. Phoenix is always in these rumors anyway, and the Seattle Thunder just sounds cool to me. No real explanation for the other two, other than I just picked Florida and Columbus, and I'd like to see Milwaukee have a team. After Seattle Thunder and Quebec Nordiques, not sure what I would name the other two.

Divisions and Conferences would look something like this, but may change, especially after some other input

Western Conference
Pacific - Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle, Vancouver
Central - Calgary, Colorado, Dallas, Edmonton, Winnipeg
Midwest - Chicago, Milwaukee, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis

Eastern Conference
Northeast - Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, Toronto, Toronto2
Atlantic - Boston, Montreal, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Quebec
Southeast - Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Divisions could use different names maybe? Dallas and Minnesota are interchangeable to me in the West. The East is where it got tougher. I tried to keep most rivalries intact, unfortunately felt like I needed to move New Jersey away from the Rangers to keep the Boston-Montreal one.

Anyways, that's my idea, I'd definitely like to hear more ideas from you guys.
I like Quebec City, Seattle, Hamilton/Markham. I don't get the Las Vegas suggestion, not sure why it would succeed there. Try to get closer to the border where the weather permits playing the game outside.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:12 AM
Gundee1114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I like Quebec City, Seattle, Hamilton/Markham. I don't get the Las Vegas suggestion, not sure why it would succeed there. Try to get closer to the border where the weather permits playing the game outside.
There is no Las Vegas one, just those three and Milwaukee. Not sure where you saw Las Vegas.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:15 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundee1114 View Post
the Seattle Thunder just sounds cool to me
That would be awkward.

Old
11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
shmglsky

I would prefer Portland in place of Anaheim.

Carolina also needs to be fixed.

Old
11-15-2012, 01:06 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

We have a general prohibition on the BoH forums of no realignment/expansion/relocation/contraction threads unless there's a media article provoking it and/or a business topic the thread is founded on. The threads tend to devolve into disagreements about who deserves or doesn't deserve a team.

There are active threads available on the forum for discussing the merits of NHL teams in many of the "new" places identified by the OP.

Closed Thread