HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Officially On The Radar

Old
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 114
Officially On The Radar

I've started a new feature on my blog that I will cover this year called 'Officially On The Radar'. It will give people a look at players that are on the radar for the 2012 NHL draft.

Wrote my first installment today.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...vis-brown.html

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:49 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Daulton Siwak of the Red Deer Rebels is On The Radar.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...ton-siwak.html

Quote:
Siwak is an explosive skater and a solid, hard working two way player. He shows a good hard release, good hands and good overall hockey instincts. He doesn't rely too much on that hard and quick shot as he isn't afraid to get dirty to score and go to the tougher areas around the net. He's also been known to drop the mitts from time to time.

A quick Youtube search will bring up an epic fight he had with Duncan Siemens a couple of years ago. Great tilt.

Old
09-28-2011, 04:14 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Solid stuff as usual, Cody. Can't wait to read this throughout the season.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:31 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Solid stuff as usual, Cody. Can't wait to read this throughout the season.
Thanks.

I plan on doing a few per week.

Old
09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Nice. I always look forward to your opinions of the dub.

One thing though, can you either post a quick bio or link to whatever site you prefer (like eliteprospects)? If you're talking about a name I haven't ever heard before, like Daulton Siwak, it would be nice to know what position he plays and how big he is before I start reading.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Nice. I always look forward to your opinions of the dub.

One thing though, can you either post a quick bio or link to whatever site you prefer (like eliteprospects)? If you're talking about a name I haven't ever heard before, like Daulton Siwak, it would be nice to know what position he plays and how big he is before I start reading.
Yeah, I guess I could post that info at the top of my post on my blog.

You could always use google too, takes two seconds

Old
09-28-2011, 09:35 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Good read, will probably continue to as you post

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Eyelanders

Thank you. Very interesting to read. Siwak seem to be a solid prospect and it will be interesting to follow him more as the season goes on.

Eyelanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:30 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Chandler Stephenson of the Regina Pats is officially on the radar:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...tephenson.html

Old
10-10-2011, 05:14 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Troy Bourke of the PG Cougars is officially on the radar:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...oy-bourke.html

Quote:
There aren't too many players that can realistically be compared to Zach Parise of the New Jersey Devils, but Troy Bourke is one of them.
Quote:
He competes hard in all three zones, backchecks and even lets his physical play do the talking. In a game I watched on October 4th, Bourke flattened Jesse Knowler of the Prince Albert Raiders along the boards. Tyler Vanscourt stepped in to defend Knowler and Bourke landed the first few punches in the scrap and earned the take down. It's that type of showing that makes scouts really open their eyes to the drive and desire a player like Bourke might just have.

Old
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Unheralded Ashton Sautner of the Oil Kings is Officially On The Radar.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...n-sautner.html

Quote:
In my two viewings of him so far this season he hasn`t been afraid to jump into the rush and create things offensively. He`s good a smooth and powerful stride, but he also isn`t afraid to start the rush with his strong passing abilities.

He has also displayed great defensive abilities early in this season. He seems to be an excellent one on one defender, with good reach and stick positioning. There were several occasions where he used his reach, knocked the puck away and then bodied the defender towards the boards.

Old
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Dominik Volek of the Regina Pats is featured today.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...nik-volek.html

Quote:
It was no secret, the Regina Pats weren't very good last season. They were a young hockey club and needed help in almost every area of their game.

A quick way to address many of those issues is through the CHL import draft. It's almost like a version of free agency for the CHL. You are free to grab European players who, in many cases, can instantly improve your team.

That's what the Pats have done with Dominik Volek. The Pats grabbed the Czech forward 9th overall this past summer.
Quote:
His skating is not the prettiest as he has a low and awkward stride. But, he's got powerful legs and seems to have good top end speed once he gets going. As mentioned, he doesn't have great straight ahead acceleration but he does have solid quickness when it comes to stopping and starting or simply changing directions.

Old
10-15-2011, 01:05 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Dominik Volek of the Regina Pats is featured today.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...nik-volek.html
I got a peek at Volek tonight. Him and Weal were pretty quiet most of the night but they got the 4th and 5th goals of the night in a 6-3 win overs the OilKings. One thing I was impressed with Volek was his quick release with a lot of velocity on his shot.

Have you seen Brandon Underwood play this year? He looks a player that should be drafted by now. Playing with Davidson looks to have done wonders for him. Regina has a serious lockdown pair there.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

How come you're name is not the color of a partner. Don't you usually need to be that to post blogs? Not playing thread police just curious.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:44 AM
StrongIslanders90

Pretty cool...I will be following you now.....Is Dominik Volek related to David Volek.?? if so would be cool if he some how ended up on the Isles...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 08:50 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
How come you're name is not the color of a partner. Don't you usually need to be that to post blogs? Not playing thread police just curious.
I am a partner. My name had been green over the last year-plus, but not sure why it's not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Pretty cool...I will be following you now.....Is Dominik Volek related to David Volek.?? if so would be cool if he some how ended up on the Isles...
Yes, he is his son.

Old
10-23-2011, 05:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Branden Troock of the Seattle Thunderbirds is the latest player to be put on the radar....

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...en-troock.html

Quote:
Not many 2012 draft eligible players have entered the 2011-2012 regular season with as many question marks as Seattle Thunderbirds forward Branden Troock.

The 6'3, 200+ pound winger missed the entire 2010-2011 WHL season with a variety of unnamed injuries. Heading into that season he was being pegged as the next potential power forward to come out of the WHL.

Despite the year off, it doesn't look like that expectation has changed much.
Quote:
Even with his massive size, Troock moves well on the ice. He skates well enough to get involved in transition hockey, which is also a big key for a powerforward as they can create a ton of openings by driving the net when the time is right. He doesn't have the best acceleration in regards to his skating, but once he gets going he's tough to slow down.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
leoleo3535

Good player....very unfortunate circumstances on the injury front.

I love to pull for these kids.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 02:53 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Colton Sissons of the Kelowna Rockets is on the radar

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...n-sissons.html

Quote:
His overall offensive potential will be the biggest question regarding Sissons this season. Will he be able to round out his game enough and refine his skills enough to become a future point per game player at the pro level? It’s hard to say and to be honest, I think that might be expecting a bit too much from Sissons.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Tim Bozon of the Kamloops Blazers is also on the radar

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...tim-bozon.html

Quote:
He’s got excellent speed and features extremely good acceleration and foot work. He’s shown that he can get involved in the forecheck and play physical if that’s what’s needed in the game. With that being said, I would like to see more consistency from him in that area of his game.

Along with his skating, his offensive abilities are his strongest attributes. He’s got great hands, is an excellent handler of the puck and is both a strong passer and shooter. He spends quite a bit of time hovering around the offensive zone and around the goal, even if he isn’t overly physical.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Griffin Reinhart of the Edmonton Oil Kings is 'On The Radar'.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...-reinhart.html

Old
01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Mike Winther of the PA Raiders is officially on the radar:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...e-winther.html

Quote:
One of the hottest prospects in the WHL over the last two months has been Prince Albert Raiders forward Mike Winther.

I've seen Winther a ton over the last year and a half and I have been known to be fairly hard on him. Last season on a fairly mediocre Raiders club I felt he didn't step up and fill the role that he needed to. He never did enough to jump out at me.

But, he's taken the next step in his development this season and really showing me what he can do. He's got average size at 5'11 but he has great speed and the ability to beat people off the rush.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Fozz

Great write ups. It's always nice to have something to read from sources that actually see these guys play.

I was reading your comments about Chandler Stephenson:
The Saskatoon-native isn't the biggest of players at only 5'9 and 170 pounds, but he has the offensive tools that all NHL and pro teams are always looking for.

His size is definitely a concern at this point as it would be nice to see him grow atleast another inch and be able to add 20 pounds to his frame within the next 2-3 seasons, without losing any speed or shiftiness.
I noticed that he's listed at 5'11", 191lbs on the CHL website... Now that he seems to have gained the extra height & weight that you wanted, how much should that affect his draft stock? Have you seen him play since and has the extra weight affected his skating at all?

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Great write ups. It's always nice to have something to read from sources that actually see these guys play.

I was reading your comments about Chandler Stephenson:
The Saskatoon-native isn't the biggest of players at only 5'9 and 170 pounds, but he has the offensive tools that all NHL and pro teams are always looking for.

His size is definitely a concern at this point as it would be nice to see him grow atleast another inch and be able to add 20 pounds to his frame within the next 2-3 seasons, without losing any speed or shiftiness.
I noticed that he's listed at 5'11", 191lbs on the CHL website... Now that he seems to have gained the extra height & weight that you wanted, how much should that affect his draft stock? Have you seen him play since and has the extra weight affected his skating at all?
Yeah, they have since updated his height and weight since the time of my post. I haven't really noticed it affecting him too much but I am still not convinced of his pro potential at this point.

To me, him and Mike Winther are in the same boat. Both 5'11, both very good junior scorers that I'm not sure will translate terribly well to the NHL.

I hope they both prove me wrong.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Graham Black of the Swift Current Broncos is an overager, but he's definitely on the NHL draft radar.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.com/2...ham-black.html