Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Next favorite sport???

Old
11-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Bruins Stooge
Spread Out

vCash: 500
Hockey is way up apst everything, playing and watching.

2nd for playing is golf, love it. 2nd for watching would be football (NFL, fantasy has me hooked on Sundays).

I hate the NBA (it's more entertainment then a sport to me, sorry Celts fans). Baseball is way too slow for me. College sports are great, March Madness and the Frozen Four are a blast to watch.

Bruins Stooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Amorphis

Boxing

The people who say "I haven't watched boxing since the Tyson/Muhammad Ali days" have missed out on some pretty damn good fights. Just a few weeks ago we had Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado. Awesome fight. Just don't watch the heavyweights and you'll still see amazing fights on a regular basis.

I was a diehard MMA fan, but the enthusiasm has really waned over the last couple of years. Most of my favorite fighters are either retired or on the verge of retiring. And I don't see a whole lot of exciting and up and coming fighters who can fill the void. Just not a whole lot on the horizon that I'm excited about these days in the UFC.

Amorphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:43 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Been reading a lot too; it's nice to catch up with books I had piling up. On a WWII kick right now - just finished John Tolland's book on the Battle of the Bulge and now reading Max Hastings' "Inferno," which is fantastic.

Paying more attention to the Springfield Falcons, who look terrific. Got next Saturday off so I can go see them - can't wait!
Tolland wrote that infamous Hitler bio. Colorful stuff,

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD51JOHN View Post
No hockey,So what to watch.. When I was younger there was always something else to keep me going... Alas I am confined to armchair recration... I look foward to football on the weekends.. I read a lot more than I have in the past few years... WHAT do some of the board do to entertain them selfs ???
Nfl & NASCAR for me. I've had my guts full of the Red Sox and MLB in general. I will tune into the celts from time to time. I def miss the brooooons.

MAINE-IAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Ratty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry View Post
I've heard of it but never really seen a video... looks awesome. I would totally watch this.
Probably won't see it live in WA, but for local (Boston area) fans, there's good competition at the Irish Cultural Center in Canton, MA

Ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Football for me, NFL and CFL.

I have sort of lost interest in baseball over the last few years but I watched more MLB playoffs this year due to the hockey lockout.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Marc Savard
06/15/2011. x3

Just watch soccer... and football. Hockey has broke my heart for the 2nd time now and I'm starting to get pissed !

Marc Savard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Football and Soccer

Baseball

Basketball I just really honestly don't care and i'm not able to get into it. I've tried just a horrible sport to get into(for me anyways)

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:49 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
I can appreciate the skill and science behind a ground game, but I can't watch it for any length of time.

The problem with boxing is that there are too few ppv worth fights, and even less stars worth shelling out that kind of dough to watch. Mayweather and Pacquiao would be great to see, but Floyd is busy fake beefing with 50 Cent to actually fight a person who could beat him.
MMA doesn't really open itself up to you until you embrace the ground work/wrestling/clinch game. Maybe it's easier for me being a former wrestler but I find it to be the most fascinating and exciting part of a MMA match. In any case, whether the fight is on the ground, against the cage, stand up, or a mix of all the above, two guys who are working will always make for an exciting MMA fight.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Terrier

Soccer, then football. I don't watch or attend basketball games and my time watching and attending baseball games has dipped severely over the last 10-15 years. Even in July, I skate more than I watch the Red Sox. Hockey-wise, my routine of college hockey and adult league hockey continues as I hold my breath for tomorrow's NHLPA proposal.

For anyone who will be in NYC later this week: Cornell is taking on Michigan at MSG on Sat. night at 8 p.m.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

1. Football
2. Hockey-- Very close if there were not these last two lockouts might be #1
3. Baseball--Even the offseason is good to watch
4. team USA soccer--My favortie tourny to watch when there in the World Cup.
5. Basketball, but I will never be able to watch a game thats not s Celtics game, often can't watch thier full games.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:08 PM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
no NHL - but when NHL Network has had jr. games, I've been pretty into that. They just showed the OHL and WHL vs. Russia and that was interesting. College Hockey on NESN.

but during the week it gets pretty stale. Last night I watched B's vs Montreal 2011 - games 5, 6 and 7.

I'll watch football if I'm at a bar; I'd enjoy it more if it wasn't: 5 second play, stop, celebration, 30 minutes of commentary and then rinse and repeat. My favorite games tend to be when Brady (or other QB) is running a no-huddle offense.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 02:13 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

1. Hockey
2. Football
3. Baseball
4. Soccer
5. MMA

Lastly, with the lockout, I wish this was bigger in North America, as I'd watch it. Hockey meets soccer meets field hockey.

Bandy!

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:56 PM
disfigured

Send a message via ICQ to disfigured Send a message via AIM to disfigured Send a message via MSN to disfigured Send a message via Yahoo to disfigured

Not necessarily my "next favorite" but I do enjoy the Isle of Man TT every year.

disfigured is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 09:15 AM
gillesgilbert

I don't have a second sport.I enjoy fitness and spend a lot of time ''power walking'' but overall I don't consider myself athletic at this stage of my life. I read,listen to music and follow the B's .

gillesgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
1. Hockey
2. Football
3. Baseball
4. Soccer
5. MMA

Lastly, with the lockout, I wish this was bigger in North America, as I'd watch it. Hockey meets soccer meets field hockey.

Bandy!

I was somewhat familiar with bandy, so thanks for the clip. Are there any bandy venues in Canada? Seems to me a curling arena could be turned into one, sort of.

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
MMA doesn't really open itself up to you until you embrace the ground work/wrestling/clinch game. Maybe it's easier for me being a former wrestler but I find it to be the most fascinating and exciting part of a MMA match. In any case, whether the fight is on the ground, against the cage, stand up, or a mix of all the above, two guys who are working will always make for an exciting MMA fight.
There ya go. I boxed some, and therefore appreciate what I'm seeing w/a guy like Silva. Sick hand speed and accuracy.

I don't hate the ground stuff, obviously there's a science to it. I do like they stand them back up more than they used to when it's a stalemate.

Neely08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 07:46 AM
kebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
1. Hockey
2. Football
3. Baseball
4. Soccer
5. MMA

Bandy!
I watch alot of Bandy. Were I live we got a team in the highest divison in Sweden.
The guys that play are all very talented skaters. I think we only got one guy from America in the Elite division. I hope the sport will grow so USA and Canada can challange Sweden, Finland and Russia.

Frölunda from SEL played a Bandy match against a lower divison team for fun. After 4-0 the Bandy team had to slow down so the hockey players could keep up.

kebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Probably won't see it live in WA, but for local (Boston area) fans, there's good competition at the Irish Cultural Center in Canton, MA
I'll have to look for some streams of overseas teams or something.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Baseball
Football
Tennis
Golf
Boxing

Worst sports are basketball and Canadian football.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 02:25 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorphis View Post
Boxing

The people who say "I haven't watched boxing since the Tyson/Muhammad Ali days" have missed out on some pretty damn good fights. Just a few weeks ago we had Brandon Rios vs. Mike Alvarado. Awesome fight. Just don't watch the heavyweights and you'll still see amazing fights on a regular basis.

I was a diehard MMA fan, but the enthusiasm has really waned over the last couple of years. Most of my favorite fighters are either retired or on the verge of retiring. And I don't see a whole lot of exciting and up and coming fighters who can fill the void. Just not a whole lot on the horizon that I'm excited about these days in the UFC.
I agree with this. MMA was much better when Pride FC was still around.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

CFL Football.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

NFL (Pats of course).

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
I agree with this. MMA was much better when Pride FC was still around.
Pride was amazing. Half of the Tapout shirt wearing bro dudes probably don't even know what Pride is or was. They also probably don't do anything MMA related.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote