HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

What season was this clock retired?

Old
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Fenway

vCash: 0
What season was this clock retired?

I was curious what year the old analog clock in Chicago Stadium was replaced.

The same exact clock was used at Olympia Stadium and Boston Garden and also AHL Providence and Buffalo that I knew of.

Last edited by Fenway: 10-07-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Fenway

This was the Boston Garden clock ( 1966 ) and Detroit Olympia (1942)

and a link to the Providence version

http://www.rireds.org/2010Website/photos_arenaclock.htm

Old
03-02-2012, 11:31 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Are you the same Fens from WSI?

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Are you the same Fens from WSI?

Old
03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Blackhawks4life

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenway View Post
i was curious what year the old analog clock in chicago stadium was replaced.

The same exact clock was used at olympia stadium and boston garden and also ahl providence and buffalo that i knew of.

Blackhawks4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks4life View Post
The NHL passed a rule in the mid 60's that clocks had to be digital. The clock in Boston was modified for the NBA and you can see in the picture a neon 12 was added.

Wirtz being Wirtz ignored the order. The Hawks finally bought a board from the same company that had installed clocks in Montreal and Boston and then a few years later installed the White Way clock that was there until the barn closed.

Old
03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
snoris

I'm working on getting more photos and, if I'm lucky, an instruction manual.....

snoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoris View Post
I'm working on getting more photos and, if I'm lucky, an instruction manual.....
Do you have an idea how many were made?

The ones that I know of

NHL
Boston, Detroit and Chicago

AHL

Providence and Buffalo

The Boston Arena had a one sided version behind one goal as well.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:05 PM
snoris

To the best of my knowledge, those were the only five, and I didn't know about Providence until recently.

Bulova didn't do many commercial scoreboards. Fair-Play, which had started up almost a decade earlier in 1934, went after the school athletic market from its beginning and was getting some good arena installations. When Fair-Play came out with numeric-reading time displays in the late '40s, Bulova had to decide whether to spend the money to follow suit or concentrate on its core business. Bulova abandoned the scoreboard market.

Old
03-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoris View Post
To the best of my knowledge, those were the only five, and I didn't know about Providence until recently.

Bulova didn't do many commercial scoreboards. Fair-Play, which had started up almost a decade earlier in 1934, went after the school athletic market from its beginning and was getting some good arena installations. When Fair-Play came out with numeric-reading time displays in the late '40s, Bulova had to decide whether to spend the money to follow suit or concentrate on its core business. Bulova abandoned the scoreboard market.
I heard the Stadium clock survived and is the property of the Hockey HoF in Toronto.

I always though the background of the clock was black but when they put the color TV lights in the Garden it was actually dark blue.

The one in Providence was overhead but a little smaller than the Garden one. I saw a few games there.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Blackhawks4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
The NHL passed a rule in the mid 60's that clocks had to be digital. The clock in Boston was modified for the NBA and you can see in the picture a neon 12 was added.

Wirtz being Wirtz ignored the order. The Hawks finally bought a board from the same company that had installed clocks in Montreal and Boston and then a few years later installed the White Way clock that was there until the barn closed.

Unless I am reading it wrong, here is the info from Chicago Stadium Wikipedia...

It was also the last NHL arena to retain the use of an analog dial-type large four-sided clock for timekeeping in professional hockey games. Boston Garden and the Detroit Olympia (as well as the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in its pre-NHL days) had identical scoreboards but replaced them with digital timers in the mid-1960s, with Boston having their digital four-sided clock in use for the 1969-70 NHL season. Built by Bulova and installed in Chicago in 1943, each side of the clock had a large face that kept the game time and a smaller face on the left and right for penalty times. It was difficult to read how much time was left in a period of play on the large face. Each minute of play was marked by a longer line on each third second increment on the dial. The difficulty was compounded because both a black minute hand and a red second hand were also turning around during play.

That clock eventually was replaced by a four-sided scoreboard with a digital clock in 1976 by the Day Sign Company of Toronto, much like the one used at the end of the 1960s to replace the nearly identical dial-type clock in the Boston Garden, and then in 1984 by another, this one with a color electronic message board. That latter scoreboard was built by White Way Sign, which would build scoreboards for the United Center.

Old
03-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Fenway

The Garden replaced the clock in October of 1967.

The Bulova clock dated to the early 40's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawks4life View Post
Unless I am reading it wrong, here is the info from Chicago Stadium Wikipedia...

It was also the last NHL arena to retain the use of an analog dial-type large four-sided clock for timekeeping in professional hockey games. Boston Garden and the Detroit Olympia (as well as the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium in its pre-NHL days) had identical scoreboards but replaced them with digital timers in the mid-1960s, with Boston having their digital four-sided clock in use for the 1969-70 NHL season. Built by Bulova and installed in Chicago in 1943, each side of the clock had a large face that kept the game time and a smaller face on the left and right for penalty times. It was difficult to read how much time was left in a period of play on the large face. Each minute of play was marked by a longer line on each third second increment on the dial. The difficulty was compounded because both a black minute hand and a red second hand were also turning around during play.

That clock eventually was replaced by a four-sided scoreboard with a digital clock in 1976 by the Day Sign Company of Toronto, much like the one used at the end of the 1960s to replace the nearly identical dial-type clock in the Boston Garden, and then in 1984 by another, this one with a color electronic message board. That latter scoreboard was built by White Way Sign, which would build scoreboards for the United Center.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
snoris

I checked with the Hall of Fame. They don't have any of the old Bulova clocks from any of the arenas.

An interesting note about Boston Garden's 1967 electro-mechanical scoreboard: it now hangs in the food court at Arsenal Mall in Watertown, Massachusetts.

Old
03-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Blackhawks4life

i am replying to the question of when the clock was replaced in chicago.....1976 was my answer......

Old
03-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Fenway

I did search the Boston Globe and the Garden clock was installed in November of 1941.

and yes the old scoreboard is in the Arsenal Mall

Old
12-01-2012, 02:57 AM
Fenway