HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Things Looking Up For City of Toronto?

Old
11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
eyeball11

vCash: 500
Things Looking Up For City of Toronto?

It's been a long haul but some success is starting to happen. Marlies in the Cup final a few months ago. Argos in the Cup final soon. Jays making some major noise. If Burke can pull a big move via trade or next spring's UFA, Leafs could come around.

Here's hoping TO can start to have some consistent success across the entire sports scene!

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:59 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
who really cares what 2 minor league teams are doing but hoping the jays are successful so we can actually have a good team to cheer for.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Brody

Raptors made a big trade and signing before the season, but are 3-7 imo that record doesn't represent how greatly the team has improved.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

And if the Raps keep going at their 3-7 pace they are bound to get an impactful draft pick.

But Ya I'm more excited about Toronto sports than I was 3 weeks ago, before the Marlies picked it up, and AA became Merlin the magician.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Shimso

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
And if the Raps keep going at their 3-7 pace they are bound to get an impactful draft pick.

But Ya I'm more excited about Toronto sports than I was 3 weeks ago, before the Marlies picked it up, and AA became Merlin the magician.
The Raptors only get the pick if it ends up being top 3; if it is 4-14, then it goes to OKC.

Shimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:08 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
who really cares what 2 minor league teams are doing but hoping the jays are successful so we can actually have a good team to cheer for.
Neither the AHL or CFL are "minor leagues."

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Ari91

Excited about the Argos. Let's hope they carry it all the way through and can win it on home turf. Their marketing needs some improvement though. I'm wondering if a 100th Grey Cup game in Toronto will get near the crowd that Montreal got today.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:11 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
I suspect sports fans?

Old
11-18-2012, 05:12 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Raptors made a big trade and signing before the season, but are 3-7 imo that record doesn't represent how greatly the team has improved.
Would be nice to see the Raps do something for sure.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
That's the spirit.

I don't really follow any thing other than the Leafs/Marlies and Euro football, But It's good that the other teams could be showing signs of life, It can't be bad for the city.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
RogerRoeper*

At least we're not Montreal.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimso View Post
The Raptors only get the pick if it ends up being top 3; if it is 4-14, then it goes to OKC.
Well Tank nation then.
The team is only like a star player away from being very hard to handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
At least we're not Montreal.
Amen to that!

Old
11-18-2012, 06:03 PM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
minor leauges? you should know about that being a Jays fan. Keep on trying to be the Yankees lite. The Blue Jays aka. that AL east team nobody really thinks about and that don't really matter. When Boston comes to New York, The "sox" are in town, when Baltimore comes to New York, the "Orioles" are in town, When Toronto comes to town, "Toronto" are in town.

Congrats Argonauts football club, good luck to you in your grey cup championship from us down south.

NastyNinoSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
Excited about the Argos. Let's hope they carry it all the way through and can win it on home turf. Their marketing needs some improvement though. I'm wondering if a 100th Grey Cup game in Toronto will get near the crowd that Montreal got today.
The game sold out 6 months ago

Old
11-18-2012, 06:08 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
I think if the CFL had more teams..like maybe 14 or 16...(not that it could support that many), it would be more of a viable league... Its too small IMO.. for a market as big as Toronto, where most football fans follow the NFL. The CFL is pretty successful in the smaller markets like Regina...but it is an exciting and entertaining game for sure. Moreso than the NFL, imo.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:09 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
It would be sold out even if the Argos didn't play in it. It sold out months ago.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:10 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I think if the CFL had more teams..like maybe 14 or 16...(not that it could support that many), it would be more of a viable league... Its too small IMO.. for a market as big as Toronto, where most football fans follow the NFL. The CFL is pretty successful in the smaller markets like Regina...but it is an exciting and entertaining game for sure. Moreso than the NFL, imo.
The CFl does need more teams. I've been hearing about Halifax getting a team since the 80's. Time to expand it.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:13 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
The CFl does need more teams. I've been hearing about Halifax getting a team since the 80's. Time to expand it.
And why cant Ottawa keep a team? How about Quebec City and yes you would thinkt the Maritimes would support at least one team given they dont have any other pro sports leagues playing there. I really didn't care for the experiment to expand to the USA. I think that idea bombed pretty badly.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
I don't have the numbers for when they expanded to the states but I remember a few interviews after they contracted and Americans were sorry to see it go. Even with the different rules they were happy to go watch Football at a fraction of the price of an NFL game.

Now like I said I don't have the numbers, so that could be coming from a fan who's team only got 10-15K tickets sold per game.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
viable league? like who the NHL? lol. The CFL is plenty viable, 75 percent of their clubs are in in the black every year. A Percentage the NHL could only dream of. The southern NHL teams would give their left ___ to earn as much as most of the CFL clubs do in actual sales. The lesser NHL markets depend on revenue sharing.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Frankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
Neither the AHL or CFL are "minor leagues."
the ahl isn't a minor league? since when?

when a player gets sent from the nhl to the minors, isn't he going to the ahl?

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
And why cant Ottawa keep a team? How about Quebec City and yes you would thinkt the Maritimes would support at least one team given they dont have any other pro sports leagues playing there. I really didn't care for the experiment to expand to the USA. I think that idea bombed pretty badly.
Ottawa is getting another team aren't they?

BUt ya Quebec City and Halifax should be able to do something.

Out West it is pretty much tapped out.

One of the US expansion teams won the Grey Cup, but do you remember what ticket sales were like? I have no idea.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
minor leauges? you should know about that being a Jays fan. Keep on trying to be the Yankees lite. The Blue Jays aka. that AL east team nobody really thinks about and that don't really matter. When Boston comes to New York, The "sox" are in town, when Baltimore comes to New York, the "Orioles" are in town, When Toronto comes to town, "Toronto" are in town.

Congrats Argonauts football club, good luck to you in your grey cup championship from us down south.
The Orioles, really?

Well if all it takes is one season to return to relevance then the Jays are in good shape. Someone seems mad.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
MarcWagz

Quote:
its already sold out (you can buy some 500 level seats on tm though)
note the grey cup is a major event though, fans come from every cfl city in hordes to the game.

MarcWagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:23 PM
NastyNinoSays

Quote:
This is an old arguement buti have many sources in the Toronto region who have told me that NFL support is lukewarm at best. Most of the interest revolves around gambling, and the Bills experiment that is a barometer of interest has been pretty disappointing with most tickets being given away. ! friend of mine who had a corporate account with the sponsor Rogers had his office comped 200 free tickets for last seasons Redskins/Bills game at the skydome.
He went to the game and said most people at the didnt even know when they were supposed to cheer which shocked him as Pro ball has been in the city for 150 years. The population base is shifting to soccer and world sports. Canada/Us only sports are of little use to the masses for anything other than the over/under.