HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank them: Doughty, Pietrangelo, Letang, Karlsson

Old
11-23-2012, 05:09 PM
TheProfessional

vCash: 500
as the above poster said its doughty #1 and not really a close second. the sens homerism in here is really funny. i remember karlsson getting bullied in the playoffs last year. he looked like a scared kitten out there at times. compare that with doughty who stepped onto the olympic stage swagged out playing like a seasoned veteran. doughty does it all exceptionally well. karlsson is a very good player but to put him above doughty is crazy.

id go

#1 doughty
#2/3 karlsson/piet

#4 letang

TheProfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:35 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessional View Post
as the above poster said its doughty #1 and not really a close second. the sens homerism in here is really funny. i remember karlsson getting bullied in the playoffs last year. he looked like a scared kitten out there at times. compare that with doughty who stepped onto the olympic stage swagged out playing like a seasoned veteran. doughty does it all exceptionally well. karlsson is a very good player but to put him above doughty is crazy.

id go

#1 doughty
#2/3 karlsson/piet

#4 letang
He should have called on the rags bench then,what part of small skilled defensman dont you get

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 05:44 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeans1000 View Post
Im just saying that comparing anyone in this thread to andy sutton is pretty pointless
Fair enough,but when comparing the defensman on that list ,EK is smaller than both of them and cant play the physical like them.Just like they cant touch his skill game .Basically its two big two way defenders VRS one small skilled one.They both approach the game different ,both are just as good an option when dealing with players at an elite level such as all three are

Old
11-23-2012, 05:49 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
Fair enough,but when comparing the defensman on that list ,EK is smaller than both of them and cant play the physical like them.Just like they cant touch his skill game .Basically its two big two way defenders VRS one small skilled one.They both approach the game different ,both are just as good an option when dealing with players at an elite level such as all three are
I think saying that they cant touch his skill game is the problem that at least 2 fanbases, if not all 29, take issue with

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 06:52 PM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That's a big assumption that fans mistakenly believe would result in more points. If Karlsson is on a team with those players, how often is he going to have the puck on his stick? He may not be able to do the things the Sens have enabled him to do.

Let's use Sergei Zubov as an example as he was a high scoring defenseman with the Rangers, scoring 89 points as a 23 year old sophomore in 78 games. He scored 36 points in 38 games in his third season (which was the shortened 48-game lockout season).

He gets traded to Pittsburgh in his fourth season and gets to play with Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, all of whom scored 100+ points. They also had Nedved who scored 99 points that season. Yet somehow, Zubov was only able to register 66 points that season in 64 games and was traded in the off season. His PPG took a dip even when he joined a far more talented Penguins squad.

The reason for that was because he wasn't relied upon as much to put up points. Which is why it is misleading and a big leap to assume that Player X would put up significantly more points if he joined Team Y.
I don't think he will get less touches by the physics of the game. Typically defensemen are responsible for the breakout and who other than Karlsson would you want to lead a rush or handle the puck in transition.

Also comparing the NHL back then VS now is mute since now the game is played at a MUCH faster pace and Karlsson fits the mold of the new NHL perfectly.

Quote:

id go

#1 doughty
#2/3 karlsson/piet

#4 letang
Really? You must be talking about the punches from Boyle AFTER the whistle was blown? Because that's the only time i've seen him get "bullied".

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

1A/1B = Karlsson/Pietrangelo
2 = Doughty
3 = Letang

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
1) Doughty ( Best all-around Defenseman here, honestly theres not a close second on this list)
2) Karlsson (Best Offensive Defensman in the league IMO)
3) Petriangelo (Top 5 Offensive Dman in the NHL)
4) Letang ( Very solid in all aspects of the gamE)

IN THE FUTURE:

Doughty/Petriangelo(There both going to be the best all around dman in the game)
Karlsson( The Best Offensive Defensman in the game)
Letang (again you know what your going to get hes very solid all around)

All in all all these guys are elite, who cares where you rank them.
Shea Weber says hi

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:09 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:

id go

#1 doughty
#2/3 karlsson/piet

#4 letang
Lmao, if anything they were scared of him(Not trying to start anything with the Rangers I meant metaphorically, lol). They had like 2 guys focused on block his shots alone.

He was the best player in that series not named Lundqvist.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lmao, if anything they were scared of him(Not trying to start anything with the Rangers I meant metaphorically, lol). They had like 2 guys focused on block his shots alone.

He was the best player in that series not named Lundqvist.
Don't worry about it. As I said earlier, there's some who criticize Karlsson and you can tell they watch Sens games and see a lot of Karlsson. Then there's posters like that. It's pretty obvious to anybody that the poster didn't watch the playoffs, or only watched a couple minutes of YouTube highlights.

Karlsson actually developed a solid physical game in the playoffs. He played his best defensive and physical hockey against the Rangers. Lundqvist and their defense was outstanding and really held Karlsson off well. But he was definitely a factor in that series.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Mister Hockey

I take letang, he has a all around game and eat's up minutes. The outher guys might be better in the future, but not now.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 06:24 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
I think saying that they cant touch his skill game is the problem that at least 2 fanbases, if not all 29, take issue with
Thats too bad because its the truth,how else would EK have won the norris ,physical play??.Like i said EK defends his position the way countless other small skill defenders have with speed ,skill amd smarts .PIE and Doughty have the size on him but not the skill this is a fact

Last edited by topshelf15: 11-24-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old
11-24-2012, 12:07 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I love how people place Pietrangelo below the others, yet they butcher the spelling of his name...Makes me wonder if they've even seen him play.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:13 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I love how people place Pietrangelo below the others, yet they butcher the spelling of his name...Makes me wonder if they've even seen him play.
LOL -- makes me wonder if you actually watch him play or just look at the name on the back of his uniform.

HookKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
LOL -- makes me wonder if you actually watch him play or just look at the name on the back of his uniform.
Damn, M. Night, you really turned that one around on him....

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
TSN still gets Jared Cowen's name wrong.

Makes me wonder if they cover hockey.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
No one was keyed on more closely in the first round than Karlsson. There's a reason for this.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:37 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
Thats too bad because its the truth,how else would EK have won the norris ,physical play??.Like i said EK defends his position the way countless other small skill defenders have with speed ,skill amd smarts .PIE and Doughty have the size on him but not the skill this is a fact
that's a misuse of the word "fact"

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2012, 09:48 PM
camcool21

Myers

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 09:23 AM
darglor

Quote:
Makes you wonder why pretty much every Sens game on TV for 6 years were talking about "McEachren", considering the guy himself always pronounced it the way it was spelled...

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:18 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
that's a misuse of the word "fact"
You dont understand hockey, this is looking like the biggest fact

Old
11-25-2012, 11:22 AM
TheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
No one was keyed on more closely in the first round than Karlsson. There's a reason for this.
yeah because if you limit his offense he doesnt bring much more to the table. you cant possibly tell me an offensive defenseman like him is really making a difference putting up 1 point in 7 games. drew doughty plays much more superior defense and is a physical force out there. the two arent even close and the blatant sens homers need to wake up and smell the coffee. karlsson is a great player who is the best offensive defenseman but overall i wouldnt think twice about taking doughty first.

TheProfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:30 AM
topshelf15

Quote:
yeah because if you limit his offense he doesnt bring much more to the table. you cant possibly tell me an offensive defenseman like him is really making a difference putting up 1 point in 7 games. drew doughty plays much more superior defense and is a physical force out there. the two arent even close and the blatant sens homers need to wake up and smell the coffee. karlsson is a great player who is the best offensive defenseman but overall i wouldnt thinsk twice about taking doughty first.
The first sentance is wrong but the last has some truth to it.Ottawa needs all the offensive help they can get right now ,so while doughty may the bigger move even keeled two way defender .EK fits our Puck posession game better so ottawa wouldnt move him for doughty

Old
11-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Pietrangelo
Doughty
Karlsson
Letang

Out of those 4, Letang is easily the fourth d-man IMO. You really can't go wrong with the top 3 though.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Sureves

Quote:
yeah because if you limit his offense he doesnt bring much more to the table. you cant possibly tell me an offensive defenseman like him is really making a difference putting up 1 point in 7 games. drew doughty plays much more superior defense and is a physical force out there. the two arent even close and the blatant sens homers need to wake up and smell the coffee. karlsson is a great player who is the best offensive defenseman but overall i wouldnt think twice about taking doughty first.
Completely disagree. Karlsson was either the best or second best (McDonagh) player in the series other than the goaltenders.

So your presumption is wrong, you can ask Rangers fans if you don't believe me.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

vCash: 860
Quote:
I disagree, and I think you would have too if you watched the series. Points don't tell the whole story in that series. It was a really low scoring series. Lundqvist had a shutout streak that lasted from the beginning of game three until the middle of game four. Anderson had a shutout streak that lasted from the early of the first in game four until the second period in game six. It was really tight, checking hockey.

However, Karlsson was still effective. Again, you showed you didn't watch the series when you said Karlsson was 'scared' during the series when he wasn't. He played some good hockey and I'm sure most Rangers fans would agree.

Nobody is a homer for picking their guy in this poll. Especially not Sens fans. He won the Norris for a reason.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote