HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Everybody's talking at me; I don't hear a word they're saying (CBA/Lockout XXIX)

Closed Thread

Old
11-16-2012, 12:27 AM
wilty00

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Why do the players? Last time I checked the owners made $3.3 billion in revenues.
Bolded the part that you probably should've spent more time emphasizing.

Are people still really not understanding the revenue/profit idea now that we're 2 months into this thing?

Old
11-16-2012, 12:27 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
At least you're honest. This negotiation is all about taking anything and everything they want.

Why do the players have to yield on their rights?

To play?

I thought the NHL only wanted to get to 50/50.
The NHL wants a CBA that's more favourable to them and more likely to see more teams profit. If the Last CBA was even in the first place and didn't see over half the teams losing money (or at the very least, struggling to break even if not losing money) there'd be a better argument to 'but the players aren't gaining anything in return.' The owners aren't perfect and they've played their fair share of hardball too but you seem to buy right into the whole 'but the owners won't give up contract rights' as if its contract rights that are holding up a deal. It's still the HRR split holding up a deal. NHLPA gives up on de-linkage, the NHL will be more likely to give up some of the contracting rights issues. But they aren't just going to keep sweetening their offer while the NHLPA keeps throwing the de-linked proposal in their face over and over and over again.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:28 AM
flameaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
And that's a pretty reasonable thing to ask I'd say at this point.

offer a proposal on the same framework(or very similar) as the NHL's and this thing ends quite fast.
Or how about you accept my proposal and this thing ends just as fast.

See how that works?

Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Why does any side have to give up anything?
It's called a negotiation, both sides have to give up something at least for it to be a negotiation and not an extortion. Obviously the players have to give up a lot more than the owners since the structure (57-43 on HRR and 27-7 FA rules with no contract length restrictions) still favors them and since the leverage lies with the owners anyway.

What I find amusing is how much the NHL trumpted the fact they sat out a year to get the cap and now the deal they lost a whole season for is so bad everything about it needs to be improved at the cost of losing another season

I don't really get what's so wrong with the game with different Stanley Cup winners every year, cap ensuring small-market teams can get a crack at the big FA's. The only thing that needs to be changed is to eliminate the cap circumventing contracts. Everything else about this negotiation is flat greed.

Old
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
It's gotten them this far. The NHL could decide they're being unreasonable and salvage the season.

Of course, that would mean they would leave the contracting rights alone.

Remember when everyone was screaming that the league was ONLY interested in the HRR and linkage rate. Yup. So do I.
If the PA was not hell bent on $600 million to be "made whole." They could very well negotiate around the contract issues by just accepting the variance clause. I admit, there is no guarantee of this but their position would be far better than now. When you include the possibility of the PA demanding a full 82 game salary. I question who is being unreasonable.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:29 AM
Hockey Crazy

Fehr keeps saying the the owner are taking so much without giving up any concessions. If he truly is upset about this, I wonder if he has made ANY suggestions on what the PA would like? They said that revenue sharing was important and the NHL has made a large movement in that area.

Why doesn't he just tell the NHL what the players want? He just seems to say no, no, no.

I really don't get why the NHL doesn't just say... look you accept our linked 50-50 system, and we will knock a year off the UFA age. It's pretty rare that you see a star player go to another team anyway and the league seems to be getting younger, so it makes sense. The one thing that the NHL should insist on with regards to contracts is the 5% limit year to year in salary fluctuation.

Old
SidTheKid8787

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
The problem is the NHLPA is acting like they are entitled to 57%, as if going down to 50% is really a concession. Well guess what, going to 50% isn't a concession in the eyes of the league. And nor should it be. The players have had it too good and the NHL wants a 'fair' deal. Give them their 50%, 5% year-to-year variance on contracts and stop the back-diving deals and I think the owners would sign on the dotted line. The truth is they don't really care about the UFA or ELC.
To continually ask the players to pay for the owners mistakes is fair?

Old
SuperUnknown

Quote:
What alternate reality has come over these negotiations.

What will the NHL give up in these negotiations?
Give me ONE thing the players will gain that they didn't have at the end of the CBA.
Well you can gain by not losing more. I know that's not what you want to hear, but if you can get $0 or $1.5B, even if $1.5B is below what you wish you had, it's still better than $0.

Old
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
It's pretty easy to release a statement through the press. Hell... TG is probably waiting by his phone for someone to call him.

The alumni game/Sandy benefit was organized by the team. The Devils have done a lot and have done a great job. Has nothing to do with the NHLPA or their members.
Some Rangers just held charity clinics today with the proceeds going to Sandy help. Richards, Callahan, Gaborik, and Boyle were some of the players there. Also, some Rangers, Flyers and other players are hosting a charity game in Atlantic City next Saturday. Tickets supposedly range from $20-$100 and those are also going to Sandy help. Richards and Hartnell are captaining the teams.

11-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
You're making a straw man argument. The NHL is offering a deal similar to what the NFL and NBA already have in place. You talk as if 50% of league revenue going to the players is slavery. The players are overpaid at the moment, and as a result the owners have leverage. Because of this they will win the lockout. I'm tired of those on the PA's side whining about victimization.
No one's forcing you to read. Just sayin'.

No, you're going off on the NBA and NFL got it, and I'd say well isn't the MLB a pro league too, so why don't they count? And then we'd all realize that the CBAs from those leagues are chock full of things like luxury taxes, soft caps, players exempt from caps, revenue sharing of a massive proportion of revenues.... and TV contracts are much bigger.......

.... then someone would come along and say that league X is nothing like the NHL, so why are we comparing them.

Been there. Done that.
Quote:
On the question of contract rights: the nhl would be willing to negotiate them when Fehr agrees to a linked 50%. Why would Bettman negotiate that chip when Fehr refuses to even budge at the biggest obstacle in the negotiatons?

Chicken and egg argument perhaps.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Freudian
Deja vu again?

vCash: 50
Daly is confirming what most of us have knows for quite a while. NHLPA aren't negotiating. They keep tabling the same proposal, that they know have zero chance of success because it pushes all the risk over at the owners, over and over again and doesn't really negotiate.

The players needs to wake up and take control of the situation.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Timmy

The previous CBA has expired.

While it may be a touchstone to players and/or owners, it is no longer relevant.

What is relevant is hard dollars.

The time value of money notwithstanding, the amount of real dollars being paid out to players will not change under the League's last proposal if the NHLPA-provided revenue growth projections prove to be correct.

Their percentage of HRR will decrease, as will their ability to access funds sooner rather than later, but given their willingness to forego salary during this current lockout, the players should be okay with this.

Once the NHLPA accepts this, the league will give in on contract restrictions (with a reasonable 10% variance 10-year max restriction and existing UFA timelines).

IMHO, of course.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
The league is financially unsustainable due to the owners, not the players. They were happy to take (and not share) the expansion fee. Maybe they should have done their homework.
Wth. Players are completely free to go play in a league of their choice. Maybe the players should go to a career college in the off season to help start a league of their own. I have no idea what your point is anymore.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:32 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameaholic View Post
Why do the players? Last time I checked the owners made $3.3 billion in revenues.
Key word there is Revenues, not profits. You know where $1.83 billion, or 57% of those $3.3 billion in revenues went? Straight to the players. Most of the others went to other fixed costs. The NHL saw less than 5% profit, most teams losing money or barely scrapping by.

Old
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
Is it fair to continually expect the players to benefit from the owners mistake of signing a CBA in 2004-2005 that allowed too much money to the players?

Old
Roland of Gilead
The Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
But they aren't just going to keep sweetening their offer while the NHLPA keeps throwing the de-linked proposal in their face over and over and over again.
My thoughts exactly. NHLPA must give some to get some. I hope that idiot Fehr gets it sooner than later.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:33 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
at least they improved the revenue sharing greatly, so technically they're only asking for the players to foot part of the bill.

50/50 is in all other leagues roughly, players knew they would end up around there going into this.

I don try to look at it as fair, it's not really fair and I probably wouldnt be happy either, but I'd know that not negotiating with them directly would just end up in more lost money, I'd know that they have far more leverage than I do as a player.

Which is why I disagree with the PA's position, wait this out, lose far more money than just negotiating early in hopes of a miracle that the NHL will accept delinkage and a full 82-game season's pay for playing half a season!

Old
11-16-2012, 12:34 AM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
It's called a negotiation, both sides have to give up something at least for it to be a negotiation and not an extortion. Obviously the players have to give up a lot more than the owners since the structure (57-43 on HRR and 27-7 FA rules with no contract length restrictions) still favors them and since the leverage lies with the owners anyway.

What I find amusing is how much the NHL trumpted the fact they sat out a year to get the cap and now the deal they lost a whole season for is so bad everything about it needs to be improved at the cost of losing another season

I don't really get what's so wrong with the game with different Stanley Cup winners every year, cap ensuring small-market teams can get a crack at the big FA's. The only thing that needs to be changed is to eliminate the cap circumventing contracts. Everything else about this negotiation is flat greed.
I don't know, the fact that over half the teams in the league are losing money by our best estimates, with a good chunk of other teams just scraping to stay even. That seems like a problem....

Old
SuperUnknown

Quote:
lmao I'm sure the players are just running to accept billions of dollars less money, a more restrictive contract system and decreased FA rights all for the sake of getting their own hotel room. If that's the NHL's only 'concession' Fehr's entering the nuclear launch codes as we speak.
By not signing a deal this year, they're already accepting to lose out at least $1.5B. Even if they do get their deal in the end, that's still a 25% paycut for a player with a 4 year contract left.

Old
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
How else could it work? What fantasy does it work any other way? It is their league. The problem is people see players as some kind of partner; they aren't. They are key ingredient in the NHL product.

Old
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
The NHL wants a CBA that's more favourable to them and more likely to see more teams profit. If the Last CBA was even in the first place and didn't see over half the teams losing money (or at the very least, struggling to break even if not losing money) there'd be a better argument to 'but the players aren't gaining anything in return.' The owners aren't perfect and they've played their fair share of hardball too but you seem to buy right into the whole 'but the owners won't give up contract rights' as if its contract rights that are holding up a deal. It's still the HRR split holding up a deal. NHLPA gives up on de-linkage, the NHL will be more likely to give up some of the contracting rights issues. But they aren't just going to keep sweetening their offer while the NHLPA keeps throwing the de-linked proposal in their face over and over and over again.

Are you at least willing to consider that the last system maybe hastened some teams' financial decline?

If you say yes, then do you feel that going to 50/50 alone will make it all work better (setting aside the variance issue for the moment)?

The numbers don't bear that out. What we always come back to is that the richest teams will simply pocket most of that money, while the poor will continue to be poor and we'll feel sorry for them. (Sense and Sensibility quote, iirc.) This is what justifies a lockout--- from a fan perspective?

Old
Renbarg

Quote:

"to confer with another so as to arrive at the settlement of some matter" - Webster

Negotiation =/= I give something up and you do as well.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
Wth. Players are completely free to go play in a league of their choice. Maybe the players should go to a career college in the off season to help start a league of their own. I have no idea what your point is anymore.
If the NHLPA doesn't even know what it wants, how can the people who support them no matter what?

What would the players get by accepting the NHL deal that they didn't have at the end of the last CBA?

A paycheque.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
What alternate reality has come over these negotiations.

What will the NHL give up in these negotiations?
Give me ONE thing the players will gain that they didn't have at the end of the CBA.
Not every negotiation necessarily assures both sides gain. In some scenarios, an opposing side has to consider mitigating their losses as a gain.

Old
11-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Ari91

I guess it's too late to expect any more comments from either side. Hopefully tomorrow will have some big words thrown around from both sides. About the only damn thing they're good for now

Closed Thread