HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

P. Bergeron vs. Kesler vs. M. Richards

View Poll Results: Who is the best player?
Patrice Bergeron 70 52.24%
Ryan Kesler 39 29.10%
Mike Richards 25 18.66%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-18-2012, 10:53 PM
  #1
GFS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,438
vCash: 500
P. Bergeron vs. Kesler vs. M. Richards

Who is the best player out of the three?

GFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:54 PM
  #2
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,141
vCash: 5555
Good Kesler
Bergeron
Richards
Bad Kesler.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 10:59 PM
  #3
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Good Kesler
Bergeron
Richards
Bad Kesler
This.. But Bergeron is really close, and far more consistent. Richards isn't far back either.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:09 PM
  #4
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty
 
Gritzky98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Good Kesler
Bergeron
Richards
Bad Kesler.
switch Bergeron and Richards, and I agree.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:15 PM
  #5
Jdawg*
I WAS THERE!!!!!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Bergeron is the best imo.


Last edited by SnS: 11-19-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Jdawg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:33 PM
  #6
PhillyBluesFan
Registered User
 
PhillyBluesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Kesler

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:43 PM
  #7
AJMHABS
On to Round 2!! :D
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,610
vCash: 500
Kesler
Bergeron
Richards

They're all very close IMO.

AJMHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:53 PM
  #8
Trap Jesus
Registered User
 
Trap Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
This.. But Bergeron is really close, and far more consistent. Richards isn't far back either.
This can't really be stated enough. I think he's one of the most consistent players in the league. He's pretty much the same every game.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:16 AM
  #9
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
1)bergeron
2)richards
3)kesler

VeteranNetPresence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:34 AM
  #10
Bure All Day
Registered User
 
Bure All Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver Isl.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,096
vCash: 500
Homer vote is homer vote, but I still think Kes is the best... Selke + 41 goals

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:26 AM
  #11
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,657
vCash: 500
1.Kesler
2.Richards-Bergeron (even)
3.Whoever the **** was wearing Kesler's jersey last year.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:40 AM
  #12
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,354
vCash: 500
Healthy Kesler
Bergeron

Richards

Injured Kesler

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:46 AM
  #13
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,905
vCash: 137
Bergeron
Kesler
Richards

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:41 AM
  #14
bp spec
Registered User
 
bp spec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 50
Mike Richards is Cannon

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 06:46 AM
  #15
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,037
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
Homer vote is homer vote, but I still think Kes is the best... Selke + 41 goals
Yeah, Kesler on his game is one of the most dominant two-way forwards in the league. When he's not, he's a diving mess on skates but he has more nights where he's the former than the latter.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:04 AM
  #16
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,990
vCash: 500
Really close but I prefer Kesler of the 3 ahead of Bergeron and then Richards

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:22 AM
  #17
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march
 
PensBandwagonerNo272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,720
vCash: 450
Bergeron
Richards
Kesler

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:25 AM
  #18
96
Esq.
 
96's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,753
vCash: 500
Bergeron

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:02 AM
  #19
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,312
vCash: 500
Bergeron for consistency reasons. Kesler had one season with more than 30 goals out of his 8 season NHL career and I still see a lot of people calling him a 40 goal scorer. Prove it wasn't a fluke and then maybe I'd take Kesler over Bergeron.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:18 AM
  #20
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ed Snider's basement
Posts: 7,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Bergeron for consistency reasons. Kesler had one season with more than 30 goals out of his 8 season NHL career and I still see a lot of people calling him a 40 goal scorer. Prove it wasn't a fluke and then maybe I'd take Kesler over Bergeron.
Kesler probably isn't going to score more than 40 again. He shot 15.8%, 4% over his career average. If you're sitting around waiting for that, don't hold your breath.

That said.. His defensive game is either ahead of Richards and Bergeron's, or very close to, and they both have career highs of 31 goals.

Over the past 3 seasons..
Kesler: 88g, 109a, 197pts (missing 5 games)
Bergeron: 63g, 111a, 174pts (missing 12 games)
Richards: 72g, 100a, 172pts (missing 9 games)

So you're penalizing Kesler because he might not/probably won't hit 41 goals again soon, even though he's missed less hockey games while producing more?

Goals assists points are a terrible way to judge players, especially players who are all known for 2-way play, but if you're going to judge them on it anyway, at least get your numbers right ^_^

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
  #21
reffree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: ste-justine québec
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Kesler probably isn't going to score more than 40 again. He shot 15.8%, 4% over his career average. If you're sitting around waiting for that, don't hold your breath.

That said.. His defensive game is either ahead of Richards and Bergeron's, or very close to, and they both have career highs of 31 goals.

Over the past 3 seasons..
Kesler: 88g, 109a, 197pts (missing 5 games)
Bergeron: 63g, 111a, 174pts (missing 12 games)
Richards: 72g, 100a, 172pts (missing 9 games)

So you're penalizing Kesler because he might not/probably won't hit 41 goals again soon, even though he's missed less hockey games while producing more?

Goals assists points are a terrible way to judge players, especially players who are all known for 2-way play, but if you're going to judge them on it anyway, at least get your numbers right ^_^
That argument is flaw too. Kesler is considered the best right now because his best season (wich almost anyone think he won't repeat) as happens more recently. And now people compare stat of the three, removing Richards and Bergeron "anomaly season" and including Kesler's one. Of course he's gonna be ahead ...


Kesler four best seasons --> 75-73-59-49
Richards four best seasons -->80-75-66-62
Bergeron four best seasons -->73-70-64-57

And suddenly Kesler goes from 1st to last.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
  #22
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Bergeron for consistency reasons. Kesler had one season with more than 30 goals out of his 8 season NHL career and I still see a lot of people calling him a 40 goal scorer. Prove it wasn't a fluke and then maybe I'd take Kesler over Bergeron.
Oh the hypocrisy. You do realize that Bergeron has only scored over 22 goals once in 8 years, right? Can you prove that 31 goal campaign 7 seasons ago wasn`t a fluke?

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:53 AM
  #23
OzzyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,756
vCash: 500
Right now the best player I'd say is Bergeron without question. We may have likely seen the best of Kesler and Richards. I doubt Richards scores a PPG again and I doubt Kesler comes close to 41goals ever again. All 3 are excellent 2nd line centers that could be 1st line centers on some teams in the league. Peak is tough because Bergeron is likely the best defensively and worst offensively(ceiling), but Kesler's best offensive year was so unorthodox goals wise compared to his career that it shouts outlier(but was phenomenal), where as Richards has had multiple 30goal and PPG seasons. So I'd say:

Best player now/going forward: Bergeron
Best prime: Richards
Best peak/season: Kesler

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
  #24
Schalkenullvier*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: tief im westen
Country: Germany
Posts: 4,591
vCash: 500
I'm throwing in a question here, and it is a genuine one: Kesler's 40 goal campaign coincidet with Manny Malholtra's great year in Vancouver, where he really made a name for himself as shutdown-force and got Selke recognition from not only canucks fans. So could it be that he was doing the defensive heavy-lifting that year and thus allowed Kesler more freedom which he used to score 40? In other words can Kesler score 40 (or even 35) while being a shutdown force at the same time?

I'm curious for answers, really am. That question sounds heavily biased against Kesler but I'm just really curious because that was something that popped into my mind and I'm not educated enough in terms of stats and stuff to really back that up or prove it wrong.

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:13 AM
  #25
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 16,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I'm throwing in a question here, and it is a genuine one: Kesler's 40 goal campaign coincidet with Manny Malholtra's great year in Vancouver, where he really made a name for himself as shutdown-force and got Selke recognition from not only canucks fans. So could it be that he was doing the defensive heavy-lifting that year and thus allowed Kesler more freedom which he used to score 40? In other words can Kesler score 40 (or even 35) while being a shutdown force at the same time?

I'm curious for answers, really am. That question sounds heavily biased against Kesler but I'm just really curious because that was something that popped into my mind and I'm not educated enough in terms of stats and stuff to really back that up or prove it wrong.
No Kesler cannot score 40 primarily being used in a shutdown role. but we saw what he could do when that responsibility was lifted (also note he had been a Selke finalist 3 years leading up to his Selke, probably deserved it more the year before he won it).

I much prefer Kesler in a shutdown role anyways, putting him in an offensive role forces him to try too hard.

I voted for Bergeron because he's a better playmaker. But I don't think its a consensus, one of those things where on any given night each guy on the list can take over games.

I find Richards overrated, but he's still a good player, but I'd take the other two over him anytime.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.