HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who deserves the #1 pick?

View Poll Results: Who deserves the pick?
New Jersey Devils 5 0.65%
New York Islanders 23 2.98%
New York Rangers 3 0.39%
Philadelphia Flyers 9 1.16%
Pittsburgh Penguins 13 1.68%
Boston Bruins 10 1.29%
Buffalo Sabres 9 1.16%
Montreal Canadiens 37 4.79%
Ottawa Senators 10 1.29%
Toronto Maple Leafs 115 14.88%
Carolina Hurricanes 2 0.26%
Florida Panthers 4 0.52%
Tampa Bay Lightning 2 0.26%
Washington Capitals 7 0.91%
Winnipeg Jets 24 3.10%
Chicago Blackhawks 5 0.65%
Columbus Blue Jackets 262 33.89%
Detroit Red Wings 25 3.23%
Nashville Predators 10 1.29%
St. Louis Blues 8 1.03%
Calgary Flames 34 4.40%
Colorado Avalanche 12 1.55%
Edmonton Oilers 74 9.57%
Minnesota Wild 21 2.72%
Vancouver Canucks 17 2.20%
Anaheim Ducks 7 0.91%
Dallas Stars 7 0.91%
Los Angeles Kings 4 0.52%
Phoenix Coyotes 7 0.91%
San Jose Sharks 7 0.91%
Voters: 773. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-26-2012, 11:06 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Detroit, were losing Datsyuk soon

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
As a sidenote, this made me realize that maybe the NHL lottery system needs to be really overhauled to encourage teams to try harder to win. When 15 of the past 21 1st overall picks have gone to only 6 teams that seems like a real problem and maybe a sign that the current draft lottery system too heavily favors ineptitude and a more diverse NBA style system might be necessary to prevent teams from being rewarded for multiple years of very poor effort in the win column.
1992 - Tampa was an expansion team
1993 - Ottawa was dead last
1994 - Florida was awarded this (and Anaheim 2nd) as part of their expansion arrangement
1995 - Ottawa was dead last
1996 - Ottawa was dead last
1997 - Boston was dead last
1998 - Tampa Bay was dead last (San Jose actually won lottery, but had traded the right to flip picks to Tampa Bay, who exercised the option)
1999 - Tampa Bay was dead last, and ended up trading this pick to Vancouver, who traded it to Atlanta
2000 - NY Islanders won the lottery; Atlanta was last
2001 - Atlanta won the lottery; NY Islanders were last
2002 - Florida won the lottery; Atlanta was last (Florida traded this pick to Columbus)
2003 - Florida won the lottery; Carolina was last (Florida traded this pick to Pittsburgh)
2004 - Washington won the lottery; Pittsburgh was last
2005 - Pittsburgh won the 30-team lottery
2006 - St. Louis was dead last
2007 - Chicago won the lottery; Philadelphia was last
2008 - Tampa Bay was dead last
2009 - NY Islanders were dead last
2010 - Edmonton was dead last
2011 - Edmonton was dead last
2012 - Edmonton won the lottery; Columbus was last

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:09 AM
Kershaw

IMO Edmonton deserves it for being bottom 2 for 3 straight years along with 6 straights seasons of missing the playoffs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:43 AM
SDig14

The team that deserves the pick IMO is the team that most recently was the worst.

After losing the lottery, I hope the Jackets get Nathan.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 12:47 AM
ChoseLa

Habs haven't got a superstar since Patty Roy. The closest we got was Markov, over 17 years. Price could become one though.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 01:58 AM
MMANumminen

Minny. Half of their players will be injured anyway so the need more stack

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 04:30 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
How's that working out for ya so far?
Pretty good actually. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, and Schultz wanting to be a part of this core. Not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I guess that's working as planned since Edmonton is clearly more competitive than Calgary or Buffalo.
I guess in your guys' haste to throw a punch you forgot that rebuilds take time. Did you expect the Oilers to become a Cup favourite as soon as we drafted the diaper snipers? Patience grasshopper, patience...

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:10 AM
onice

If there's no season, I'd like the league to have a different lottery this time round. And it would be based on attendance. You can go two ways.

1) Seeing as Pittsburgh was very close to losing its team a few years ago and then received those fantastically lucky picks (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury) the league could look at the draft as a business building tactic. Sort the teams by their attendance. The poorest attendance gets 1st overall and the highest attendance gets last pick. Getting young exciting players into poorly attended franchises would be one way of strengthening the league.

2) The other way would be to reward the most loyal fans. You would sort the teams by their attendance figures except in the reverse order. The best team gets first place. the worse last place BUT you average out their placing the last 3,4 or 5 years. For instance let's take Toronto. Let's say they have the third best attendance figures. The last five years they've average a 24th place on the standings (I haven't checked but let's just assume that placing). So you add 3 (their attendance) and 24 (their average placement in the standings) and that gives them 27. You do that with all the teams and then sort them from the lowest sum at 1st overall and the highest sum at 30th . This would reward a fan base that has been loyal to their team despite having a lousy team.

I know neither one of these options will be picked but it's one way to help the "business" of hockey.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Islanderfan17

Edmonton

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:03 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Edmonton
wouldn't it be something though if the Isles ended up with pick #30?

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:10 AM
kasper11

Columbus is in the most need of the pick, but they don't deserve it until they fire Howsen.

Right now I would say the Isles....they have been a bad team for a long time, they are moving into a new building in a couple of years and a chance to build around a 1-2 punch of Tavares-McKinnon could really help get the Brooklyn fans enthused about their new team.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Columbus is in the most need of the pick, but they don't deserve it until they fire Howsen.

Right now I would say the Isles....they have been a bad team for a long time, they are moving into a new building in a couple of years and a chance to build around a 1-2 punch of Tavares-McKinnon could really help get the Brooklyn fans enthused about their new team.
So Columbus wouldn't deserve it until they fire Howson, yet the Islanders deserve it?

Under Garth Snow (not included picks traded for):
15th Overall (traded)
5th Overall (traded)
1st Overall
5th Overall
5th Overall
4th Overall

11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

There is no right answer but Columbus or Toronto Columbus for obvious reasons and Toronto because in the last 20 years the Leafs had 5 top 10 picks, with no 1st overall since Clark in the 80's (only in team history), and are currently the team with the longest cup draught in history and current playoff draught. Actually ill be fine with 2nd overall, Columbus can take first Barkov > Mackinnon IMO and if the Leafs draft first i dont like Barkovs chances.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:37 AM
bigbadbruins7

whichever team wins the lottery...

bigbadbruins7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:38 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If there's no season, I'd like the league to have a different lottery this time round. And it would be based on attendance. You can go two ways.

1) Seeing as Pittsburgh was very close to losing its team a few years ago and then received those fantastically lucky picks (Crosby, Malkin, Fleury) the league could look at the draft as a business building tactic. Sort the teams by their attendance. The poorest attendance gets 1st overall and the highest attendance gets last pick. Getting young exciting players into poorly attended franchises would be one way of strengthening the league.

2) The other way would be to reward the most loyal fans. You would sort the teams by their attendance figures except in the reverse order. The best team gets first place. the worse last place BUT you average out their placing the last 3,4 or 5 years. For instance let's take Toronto. Let's say they have the third best attendance figures. The last five years they've average a 24th place on the standings (I haven't checked but let's just assume that placing). So you add 3 (their attendance) and 24 (their average placement in the standings) and that gives them 27. You do that with all the teams and then sort them from the lowest sum at 1st overall and the highest sum at 30th . This would reward a fan base that has been loyal to their team despite having a lousy team.

I know neither one of these options will be picked but it's one way to help the "business" of hockey.

Problem with attendance is you can't make a market into a hockey loving market just by giving them a super star, Penguins had a history and a following until the team was just utter horse crap and wasn't getting better, but the market was there. so by giving the pick to say Phoenix or NYI or some other low attending team it may not make that market any better.

MacKinnon to Toronto will generate far more revenue for the league then MacKinnon to Phoenix. if you want it to be a business decision then Tor,Mon should be top 2 in the draft, then teams that rake in the money following them, but this wouldn't be fair to everyone else.

One team that i think could build around MacKinnnon is Nashville, he would bring that offensive spark to go with webber and get the fan base excited.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:42 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
So Columbus wouldn't deserve it until they fire Howson, yet the Islanders deserve it?

Under Garth Snow (not included picks traded for):
15th Overall (traded)
5th Overall (traded)
1st Overall
5th Overall
5th Overall
4th Overall
Besides Streit, the Isles have virtually gotten no UFAs. Pretty tough to build a team ALL from within

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 09:46 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
Besides Streit, the Isles have virtually gotten no UFAs. Pretty tough to build a team ALL from within
And Toronto got who exactly....... Since the early 2000's the Leafs have had no notable UFA's, especially not in recent history, which is troublesome for the biggest hockey market. I dont think people realize that post lockout, the Leafs have been a small-market-esque team in a huge market. A spending cap has completely ruined them.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:01 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
And Toronto got who exactly....... Since the early 2000's the Leafs have had no notable UFA's, especially not in recent history, which is troublesome for the biggest hockey market. I dont think people realize that post lockout, the Leafs have been a small-market-esque team in a huge market. A spending cap has completely ruined them.
Jeff Finger...........

Thats a good thing though. Sure, the absence of a cap would be great for teams like Toronto, Montreal, NYR, Philly etc etc. But what about for 3/4ths of the league? Parity definitely makes the league way better and it makes the personnel your team hires matter (like GMs and scouts)

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:07 AM
jacklours

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post

Doesn't make sense, your metric are going the opposite way, you will end up rewarding the best team in the end. The team that finishes 1st and has (most likely) high attendance, let's say 1st there as well has a total of 2. Therefore they get 1st pick.

At the same time a team that placed 30th with an average attendance (let's say a good one for a bad team, they ranked 10th). They would end up with 40 points and be selecting close to last.

I think you should rethink that a little

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 670
There's about 6-8 teams that would almost instantly fold if the PA decertified, neither of those teams should get the pick!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Hynh

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
MacKinnon to Toronto will generate far more revenue for the league then MacKinnon to Phoenix. if you want it to be a business decision then Tor,Mon should be top 2 in the draft, then teams that rake in the money following them, but this wouldn't be fair to everyone else.
Given that the current lockout is partially caused by revenue disparities, does increasing how much Toronto make sense?

I agree with Nashville as a place for MacKinnon. Then again, knowing Nashville they'd take Jones.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:20 AM
jameswrjobe53

Edmonton!

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Deserve is an odd choice of words given the question.

Entitlement (Seems odd using the word merit in this context) is being handed in an arbitary value. Why do Columbus deserve the #1 pick more than any other team?

Assuming no NHL season exists, then the draft cannot use tangible results to determine who is entitled to a statistically greater chance of the #1 pick. So the NHL has to create a system based on countback, rather than based on current results to determine the statistical entiltement for each team. Thus, whoever has the most balls and greatest % would be given the max arbitary value i.e deserves it the most.

I mean, if Edmonton had finished last again (assuming we had a full season), then in logically, they deserve the greatest statistical chance of the #1 pick again, because the rules dictate that the worst team gets in theory the best player.

As there is currently no season, and the countback really doesn't equate in a linear fashion to who the worst teams this year would be, i think nobody deserves the #1 pick more than anybody else.

Again, why do Columbus deserve the pick anymore than Toronto, or Detroit, or whomever? The angle "but the fans have had such a tough time" is an irrational way to measure entiltement.
Who invited the unfun

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:26 AM
SeriousHabs

Given the lockout, a team who is losing money shouldn't be rewarded. Awful teams need to be punished, and ideally, relocated.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Fogelhund

I am only going address the top three in the current voting.

Columbus - Yes, they certainly need to some talent to save a moribund franchise, and bring people in the door. I can understand why people would choose them.

Edmonton - I have no issues with a good pick, but I can't say they deserve #1. There is only so many top picks any single team should have. There are some very good players in the 5-10 range, including highly touted C's, and D's, that would both benefit the Edmonton franchise. A #1 overall for Edmonton at this point just doesn't have the same impact that the other two do.

Toronto - I am a Toronto fan, but hear me out. Toronto is one of the biggest markets in the league. TV viewing, merchandise and so on. It is to the benefit of the league, to the PA, and just about everybody that Toronto has a competitive team. More revenues for the sport is good for the sport. Toronto needs a #1C (amongst other things) and there are several available. Toronto doesn't necessarily need the #1 pick, but they could really use MacKinnon or Barkov, which would benefit the league, the PA and the broadcasters.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote