HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Who deserves the #1 pick?

View Poll Results: Who deserves the pick?
New Jersey Devils 5 0.65%
New York Islanders 23 2.98%
New York Rangers 3 0.39%
Philadelphia Flyers 9 1.16%
Pittsburgh Penguins 13 1.68%
Boston Bruins 10 1.29%
Buffalo Sabres 9 1.16%
Montreal Canadiens 37 4.79%
Ottawa Senators 10 1.29%
Toronto Maple Leafs 115 14.88%
Carolina Hurricanes 2 0.26%
Florida Panthers 4 0.52%
Tampa Bay Lightning 2 0.26%
Washington Capitals 7 0.91%
Winnipeg Jets 24 3.10%
Chicago Blackhawks 5 0.65%
Columbus Blue Jackets 262 33.89%
Detroit Red Wings 25 3.23%
Nashville Predators 10 1.29%
St. Louis Blues 8 1.03%
Calgary Flames 34 4.40%
Colorado Avalanche 12 1.55%
Edmonton Oilers 74 9.57%
Minnesota Wild 21 2.72%
Vancouver Canucks 17 2.20%
Anaheim Ducks 7 0.91%
Dallas Stars 7 0.91%
Los Angeles Kings 4 0.52%
Phoenix Coyotes 7 0.91%
San Jose Sharks 7 0.91%
Voters: 773. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-16-2012, 03:35 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Toronto is the only team who hasn't made the playoffs between lockouts. They supply the most money to the league and desperately need a number 1 center. Also is the season is played out they probably have the best chance at 1st overall anyways. Mackinnon is Toronto can also be very beneficial for the league in terms of marketing.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Toronto is the only team who hasn't made the playoffs between lockouts. They supply the most money to the league and desperately need a number 1 center. Also is the season is played out they probably have the best chance at 1st overall anyways. Mackinnon is Toronto can also be very beneficial for the league in terms of marketing.
Toronto is going to make money every year no matter how bad of a team they ice. They are one of the highest revenue generators already and have missed the playoffs 8 straight seasons. Making an argument based on additional revenue would suggest that a small market team with a lousy record could use an elite prospect far more than Toronto.

Also, you would hope that at least a small improvement should happen over last season now that some of the prospects are coming up through the ranks.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Andros777

Toronto, that fanbase deserves something for its enthusiasm and loyalty, and the franchise for the money they've earned every team in the league.

Sorry Columbus but you know your management is just going to ruin the pick anyway.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Toronto is going to make money every year no matter how bad of a team they ice. They are one of the highest revenue generators already and have missed the playoffs 8 straight seasons. Making an argument based on additional revenue would suggest that a small market team with a lousy record could use an elite prospect far more than Toronto.

Also, you would hope that at least a small improvement should happen over last season now that some of the prospects are coming up through the ranks.
Sooner or later the leafs fans will leave if a terrible team keeps getting iced. Then the NHL is fu**** Mackinnon can change that. Also it would be nice to see the league giving back to the leafs and the leafs fans for once.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
Toronto, that fanbase deserves something for its enthusiasm and loyalty, and the franchise for the money they've earned every team in the league.

Sorry Columbus but you know your management is just going to ruin the pick anyway.
Just like how they ruined Rick Nash.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

1)Toronto
2)Columbus

why are there votes for the Oilers?

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Nash

Quote:
Sooner or later the leafs fans will leave if a terrible team keeps getting iced. Then the NHL is fu**** Mackinnon can change that. Also it would be nice to see the league giving back to the leafs and the leafs fans for once.
I wish for the fans there that this was true, but it isn't. The queue for season's tickets is huge. The market is so large that I would bet that half your season's tickets holder could walk away and those packages would be gone in a day to new holders. 40+ years without a cup, 8 seasons without playoffs and the team still sells out. Just how bad of a team would Toronto have to ice for the fans to boycott. They could ice their AHL team all season and rabid fans would be thrilled to go watch the future get pummeled nightly.

So I don't think there is a threat there. As for feeling some kind of entitlement for stupidly pumping money into the pockets of Ballard and the Teacher's Union for years, why should that be rewarded?

Old
11-16-2012, 04:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Please tell me you're joking. It's ridiculous how leaf fans think they deserve the 1st overall pick

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I'm sure most people would think that, being a CBJ fan, I'd rail against your viewpoint since it's fairly pointed (against my team).

But you're one of the few in this thread who make any sense. I don't think any team "deserves" the #1 pick, including my own. Would I be ecstatic with the top pick? Of course. Would I feel like things have really turned a corner? You bet.

But can I honestly say it's deserved? No. No one "deserves" the top overall pick in a draft like this if that's how it ends up happening, including my own team who could certainly use a franchise scoring forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Columbus's GM sux. He's the worst. The Nash trade BS last year was off the wall. Columbus does not deserve the #1 overall. Their mess is their own doing. If they fired that terrible GM and replaced him there would be a good case for Columbus, but as long as they are continuing down their path status quo, **** em. Isles same thing. Terrible terrible management. For me, i'm thinking a good market with a good fan base that hasn't had a super high pick lately. Calgary would be a good choice.
Quick question for you. If Craig Patrick, who's pretty respected in the world of hockey, is giving glowing praise to Scott Howson, does his opinion count for anything? And if John Davidson, who's also pretty well-respected, ends up with the same viewpoint, does that matter?

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:36 PM
b in vancouver

Bruins fan picking The Flames.
Been a very consistent team that tries to win every year but outside of their one run haven't been able to find success. With Iginla's career winding down it would be great for them to pick an elite young talent without having to tank year after year like their rivals to the north.

Other teams that it would be cool if they won would be
The Blues and The Sabres. Solid consistent teams that haven't been able to find sustained elite success (although you have to figure St. Louis' turn is coming regardless)

And then all the top-flight teams that, although they've all had bad years, haven't built their franchises on multiple years of uselessness. Philly, Boston, Montreal, N.J., NYR, Vancouver, S.J., Detroit, Nashville

Even as a Bruins fan I'd rather see Montreal, Philly and Vancouver have 1-2-3 then watch the Oilers, Pens, Caps, Hawks, Leafs, Blue Jackets, NYI (and I actually like the Isle and Hawks and don't really dislike the other teams either)

Just would be nice if this one year, if there's a lock-out, that teams are rewarded.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Pretty obvious choice here. The loyal fans of Columbus deserve something to cheer for, so I'd give it to C-bus.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
Although Columbus does deserve a change in fortunes, I just feel it would be wasted with them because even if they win the cup, I don't think their fan base would grow that much.
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=644778

"Boasting 171 teams and 3,000 players who participate in more than 100 games per week, the CAHL is one of the largest adult hockey leagues in the country -- only trailing leagues in San Jose, Calif. and the Twin Cities in terms of participants."

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SammyTheBull

vCash: 984
Voted Leafs for all their years of sucking.

They could use a superstar/franchise player.

/Sens fan

Last edited by SammyTheBull: 11-16-2012 at 05:02 PM.
SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:28 PM
tony d
The man

Columbus.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:30 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post

i gotta tell u, if the Leafs keep losing there not going to have any fans, so many people are so frustrated with the Leafs that if s. ontario gets another team i bet u most casual fans will jump ship, but most loyal fans might too, its getting pretty bad last year when they were out of the playoffs the acc looked dead.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:32 PM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

lol this is just a troll leaf fans thread anyway.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
i gotta tell u, if the Leafs keep losing there not going to have any fans, so many people are so frustrated with the Leafs that if s. ontario gets another team i bet u most casual fans will jump ship, but most loyal fans might too, its getting pretty bad last year when they were out of the playoffs the acc looked dead.
The poor Leaf fans are unfailingly loyal. Even if the ACC looked dead, people still paid for those seats they didn't use to attend the game. They know if they actually boycott, it could take 20+ years or more to acquire season tickets again.

I wish Southern Ontario would get another team. The market is there and the league could be making so much more revenue. Plus one more Canadian team increases the possibility that a Canadian will ever win the cup again.

As for how that would effect attendance for the Leafs, the market is so big, they would still likely sell out. Leaf fans are crazily loyal. There are second and third generation displaced Ontarions living in Vancouver who were brought up Leaf fans. It's almost ingrained in their blood.

Old
11-16-2012, 05:45 PM
timw33

Super simple: Columbus.

Edmonton deserves to be out of the Top 5.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Badger25

Edmonton

Badger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Franky Gee

Oilers for the LOL

Franky Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:55 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Edmonton, because they got screwed last lockout.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Leviathan

20 people voted Edmonton. Okay...

Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:01 PM
StrongIslanders90

MACK and Tavares would be crazy!!!

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:27 PM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
20 people voted Edmonton. Okay...
They deserve it for the next 50 years, I say!

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote