HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN ranks the Maple Leafs jersey #23 among the four major sports

Old
11-18-2012, 09:31 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Yes, you did rake up maple leaves. If you raked up members of the Maple Leaf regiment, you would have raked up Maple Leafs.

Do you understand what a proper noun is because it appears you do not?
1 Leaf and 2 Leaves.

Whatever.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:36 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
1 Leaf and 2 Leaves.

Whatever.
This holds true if you are not referring to a proper noun. If you are, it is "Leafs".

Here's a little grammar reference for you that addresses both your dictionary claim as well as your "Leaves" claim:

So we can divide all common nouns into one of two categories: ones that form their plurals with the simple “add S or add ES” formula, and weird ones. But proper nouns are a different matter. Obviously, there’s no dictionary that contains every proper name that ever existed or could exist. That’s why the publishing industry has a standard guideline: when making plurals of proper names, just apply the basic formula to ALL of them -- regardless of whether they have a generic equivalent with an irregular plural.

“The plural of proper names is formed regularly, by adding S or ES to the singular
,” writes “Words Into Type,” an influential guide in the publishing word. The authors add: “Proper names ending in Y form their plurals regularly, and do not change the Y to I as common nouns do.”

So one Camry plus another Camry is two Camrys.

Also one Nissan Leaf plus another is two Leafs

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
1 Leaf and 2 Leaves.

Whatever.
If you knew a family with the surname Wolf, would you refer to them as the Wolves?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 09:57 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
This holds true if you are not referring to a proper noun. If you are, it is "Leafs".

Here's a little grammar reference for you that addresses both your dictionary claim as well as your "Leaves" claim:

So we can divide all common nouns into one of two categories: ones that form their plurals with the simple “add S or add ES” formula, and weird ones. But proper nouns are a different matter. Obviously, there’s no dictionary that contains every proper name that ever existed or could exist. That’s why the publishing industry has a standard guideline: when making plurals of proper names, just apply the basic formula to ALL of them -- regardless of whether they have a generic equivalent with an irregular plural.

“The plural of proper names is formed regularly, by adding S or ES to the singular
,” writes “Words Into Type,” an influential guide in the publishing word. The authors add: “Proper names ending in Y form their plurals regularly, and do not change the Y to I as common nouns do.”

So one Camry plus another Camry is two Camrys.

Also one Nissan Leaf plus another is two Leafs
YOU got any proof of this Maple LEaf regiment?

Canadian Heritage has "No documents were found to match your query." when I searched Maple Leaf regiment WW1.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:01 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
If you knew a family with the surname Wolf, would you refer to them as the Wolves?
ya ya

Holy **** are people sure getting bent out of shape.

Jeez it was a freaking trivial pursuit question I thought I would share and everyone strat getting their panties in a bunch.

Well I'm not going to tell you why it's called a "Toast" when people drink.

At any rate I started looking and would love to read up on this Maple Leaf regiment, but I can't find anything.

Last edited by charliolemieux: 11-18-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old
11-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
ya ya

Jeez it was a freaking trivial pursuit question I thought I would share and everyone strat getting their panties in a bunch.

At any rate I started looking and would love to read up on this Maple Leaf regiment, but I can't find anything.
You were wrong. It's ok, it happens.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:27 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
ya ya

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=42182

Quote:
Although it is not known as to why he changed the name to Maple Leafs, here was Smythe's reasoning:

“The Maple Leaf to us, was the badge of courage, the badge that meant home. It was the badge that reminded us all of our exploits and the different difficulties we got into and the different accomplishments we made. It was a badge that meant more to us than any other badge that we could think of... so we chose it... hoping that the possession of this badge would mean something to the team that wore it and when they skated out on the ice with this badge on their chest... they would wear it with honour and pride and courage, the way it had been worn by the soldiers of the first Great War in the Canadian Army."
http://1967ers.wordpress.com/2012/05...led-the-leafs/

http://bradshawofthefuture.blogspot....ple-leafs.html

The Blue Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:59 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

utah jazz ahead of leafs? interesting that such an ugly simplistic design could be that high

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:13 AM
paulster2626

Quote:
Dude it is a Trivial Pursuit question.

Leafs is a spelling error. Regardless of believe, LEAFS is not a proper English word.
Something tells me this dude is still missing a few pieces of his pie.

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:06 AM
mikeswright49

Furthermore on the Leafs/Leaves issue regardless of what the team is named after, an individual member of the team is a Toronto Maple Leaf (a proper noun as it is a title), and a collection of such members are a Toronto Maple Leafs. Thus it is grammatically correct.

mikeswright49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

To me, it's all in the DETAIL. Habs = simply logo, whereas the Blackhawks... wow! just a beautiful design.

Leafs, meh. Nice logo but very simple.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Beauty, eh?

Last edited by Giuseppe Sallo: 11-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
Don't get him started on whether it is "Flyers" or "Fliers".

Old
11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

Leafs is a name so it does not matter if the spelling is incorrect

its like someone naming their child john, and spelling is jjonn..they can spell it however they want and it can not be argued that the spelling is incorrect

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Blue Jays are at 21, not too shabby.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post

Beauty, eh?
Game on!!

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

I like that the Blue Jays are so high.

Their new uniforms are damn near perfect.

"Biggest before-and-after success story since Jared lost all of that weight eating at Subway. Last year, the Jays were in the running for the worst-dressed team in North America; this year they're among the best, thanks to an ingenious makeover that provides a snappy updating of the team's early 1990s look. A textbook case of how a team can acknowledge its past while embracing its future."

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
nsleaf

I have always liked the Hawks colours and logo but does anyone think that it may be offensive to native people? Same could be asked about Redskins, Indians, Eskimoes, etc.
Hope I got the grammar correct.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:53 PM
Pilky01
@JamesD_TO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
I have always liked the Hawks colours and logo but does anyone think that it may be offensive to native people? Same could be asked about Redskins, Indians, Eskimoes, etc.
Compared to the Redskin and Indians, the Blackhwaks name & logo are downright reverential.

The Redskins have a terrible name, but IMO, the worst racist logo in NA pro sports is the Cleveland Indians. That logo is just a native-American version of black face.

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 02:29 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
I played against what was supposedly the best Native American team in Atlantic Canada and do you know what jersey THEY chose to wear?

Old
11-19-2012, 06:02 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

The 1967ers link is great. Thank you.
I recommend everyone read it.
THE author makes an interesting conclusion.

Quote:
Once the hockey Leafs became the established team, the suggestion that they were actually named for a struggling minor-league ballclub would not have been all that flattering. I think this is where Smythe made mention of the WWI angle. It makes better-sounding history. While I can imagine, again, that he liked this aspect of it at the time, I simply don’t accept it as the core reason for the switch.

In order for the reason for the name change to be anything other than what I suspect here, the following things have to be true: for a completely independent set of reasons, Smythe would have changed the name of the St. Patricks to the exact thing proposed by the previous ownership group – a name that just happened to be the same as the dominant sports entity in the city and just happened to be the property of the new landlord with whom he would need to arrange ice time and generally curry favour.

It just doesn’t pass the smell test.

The Leafs were named after the city’s baseball club, who they then surpassed in success and public profile to the extent that many forget the ball club ever really mattered or even existed. The rest is spin and marketing.

Maybe someone should tell MLSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
YOU're a funny guy. At least I've gotten some pie.

Quote:
Don't get him started on whether it is "Flyers" or "Fliers".
Shouldn't there be an apostrophe in there somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81inblueandwhite View Post
Leafs is a name so it does not matter if the spelling is incorrect

its like someone naming their child john, and spelling is jjonn..they can spell it however they want and it can not be argued that the spelling is incorrect
Well I asked an english teacher and ok, ya because it is a name a group of like named individuals would be called Leafs.

Happy? Good.
I'm gonna go clean some Leafs out of my eaves trough now.

Makes me wonder though; Why do we refer to the team as Maple Leafs when it is called the Toronto Maple Leaf hockey team? Is there more than one team?

Old
11-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Urban Explorer*

Quote:
1 Leaf and 2 Leaves.

Whatever.
Dude did you ride the special bus to school? The Maple Leaf Regiment and a leaf in your backyard are totally different things. One is a proper noun (maple leaf regiment) and one is a common noun (leaf in your back yard). If you ever pluralize a proper noun you just add an S.

Urban Explorer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:54 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Explorer View Post
Dude did you ride the special bus to school? The Maple Leaf Regiment and a leaf in your backyard are totally different things. One is a proper noun (maple leaf regiment) and one is a common noun (leaf in your back yard). If you ever pluralize a proper noun you just add an S.
Try to stay with the rest of us. There is no Maple Leaf Regiment, and apparently the creation story of the Maple Leafs is false.

That is for another thread which I will start on the History of Hockey board.

Last edited by charliolemieux: 11-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
DionPhaneuf3

habs are no.1 and blackhawks....? their red jersey is one of the best in any sport. stupid list

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Lux Aurumque*

This list is a joke. Football jerseys? Basketball jerseys? Aside from the atrocities worn by the Steelers yesterday, they all look identical and bland. The only real creative jerseys are hockey and lacrosse. Football and basketball have no place on this list. Even baseball jerseys are fairly bland, but looking at jerseys like the Yankees, they're just too classic to ignore.

Top 5 should be Blackhawks, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Bruins and Red Wings, followed by every other NHL jersey to make up the top 30.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote