Blue Jays hire John Gibbons as manager

Old
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 500
Blue Jays hire John Gibbons as manager

Quote:
Gibbons, who managed the Blue Jays for parts of five seasons from 2004 to 2008, will be introduced Tuesday morning as their next manager.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/M.../20369421.html

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:04 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Really?!

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:07 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Wweeeird.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:25 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Apparently he and Anthopoulos were tight when he was here the first time. It's definitely kind of weird but for some reason I think it might work.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:26 AM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
Go Leafs Go

Among the names talked about not once was John Gibbons ever mentioned, so that's why it was a shock when I heard this news. However according to the news from TSN both Gibbons and Anthopolous were very close friends the first time he was their manager.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=409899

Quote:
Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopolous was an assistant under former GM J.P. Ricciardi when Gibbons was with the club and the two reportedly had a close relationship.

LEAFS FAN 4 EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Well this is definitely interesting.

11-20-2012, 12:36 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Out of all the candidates, I really prefer Gibbons over them.

DennisReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:48 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Out of all the candidates, I really prefer Gibbons over them.
Agreed. If having previous coaching experience was a must then I like this a lot more than Acta, Riggleman or Tracy. And the familiarity with the system, organization and fanbase can't hurt.

Old
11-20-2012, 01:05 AM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Isn't this the guy that was fighting players or something? Wasn't it Shea Hillenbrand?

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:08 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Anyone else getting flashbacks to 2006

11-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Isn't this the guy that was fighting players or something? Wasn't it Shea Hillenbrand?
And Ted Lilly. But in his defence, Hillenbrand for sure was a huge dick.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:11 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
He feuded with Hillenbrand in 2006 but you are probably thinking Ted Lilly after Gibbons pulled him they got into a fight in the dugout ally way

The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Noisespektrum

again?, interesting turn of events on this one.

Noisespektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:25 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
He feuded with Hillenbrand in 2006 but you are probably thinking Ted Lilly after Gibbons pulled him they got into a fight in the dugout ally way

He clashed with Dave Bush as well.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 03:38 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Despite the fights, there were a lot of douches on that team tbh. No one more than Hillenbrand.

He was actually pretty strong tactically and is the only GM since 1993's team to bring his team to a second place finish in the AL East.

I'm okay with this.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Better than the other three candidates in the mix.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 07:45 AM
DeathFromAbove

Great hire, and definitely an upgrade over Farrell.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Transplanted Caper

2016 - Buck Martinez named new Jays manager.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

What are the odds for a full fledged fight out on the field against his starting pitcher this time around? For all the positive the Jays have done it seems they need a negative to even out the balance.

wow....just wow.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:14 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post

What are the odds for a full fledged fight out on the field against his starting pitcher this time around? For all the positive the Jays have done it seems they need a negative to even out the balance.

wow....just wow.
You're so un-informed it's literally not even funny anymore. The Ted Lilly thing was super overblown. Gibbons pulled him in a game that he was staked to an 8-0 lead and proceeded to give up 5 runs in 3 innings. He deserved to be pulled. They patched things up right after and are good friends. As mentioned, Shea Hillenbrand was a jerk and tried ot start a mutiny in the clubhouse. If Gibbons didn't do something, the other players would have. That's what a manager is supposed to do. The more I think about it, the better this hire is looking.

Old
11-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Swervin81
Deflated Leafs Fan

Lilly had an 8-0 lead to work with and gave up 5 runs in 3IP. Pulling him was completely justified. Hillenbrand tried forming an all out war against the org. He wrote "the ship is sinking, play for your contracts" right on the whiteboard in the clubhouse. He was a locker room cancer. Otherwise, Gibby was fine and overachieved with some of the hot messes of teams he got. What I like is that he'll also come out and argue and let himself get tossed to stick up for his players, but will call them out and light a fire under their *****. At least this hopefully means no more ****** baserunning errors from Lawrie, since Gibby will bench him in an instant.

I still remember that 1 game I went to when the Jays and Cubs were playing and Gibby got tossed after arguing an out at 1B. The only time I ever saw a skipper get tossed live at a game.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Great hire, and definitely an upgrade over Farrell.
I agree, although almost anyone was.

I'm glad to have a guy who will hold players accountable. Farrell was too much of a pushover. With the added star power and personality of the team, they need someone who will kick ass if anyone gets complacent.
Quote:

wow....just wow.
Didn't you argue me and other Jays fans for pages and pages of a thread on how the Jays got ripped off in the Marlins deal, and how the Melky signing was 'relying on the unreliable'... But now those moves are positive?

Lilly blew an 8 run lead. I was at that game and he should have been pulled earlier. Gibby gave him several chances to get out of it and stay in line for the win.. When he finally had enough and pulled him, Lilly started a temper tantrum. I think he was more then fair in that instance, and I loved how he handled it. You can't tell the manager no, that you're not coming out.

Gibson demands respect, and thats why. Thats what we need with a guy like Lawrie who has boatloads of talent but makes dumb mistakes.

John Farrell was a poor tactical manager, and he was a pushover, plain and simple. This is a definite upgrade and I like it much more then any of the candidates that were thrown around.

I'll assume by the name you just drink to much, because you certainly don't put any logic in your posts and you're as inconsistent as I've seen on HF...

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:17 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I agree, although almost anyone was.

I'm glad to have a guy who will hold players accountable. Farrell was too much of a pushover. With the added star power and personality of the team, they need someone who will kick ass if anyone gets complacent.
Didn't you argue me and other Jays fans for pages and pages of a thread on how the Jays got ripped off in the Marlins deal, and how the Melky signing was 'relying on the unreliable'... But now those moves are positive?

Lilly blew an 8 run lead. I was at that game and he should have been pulled earlier. Gibby gave him several chances to get out of it and stay in line for the win.. When he finally had enough and pulled him, Lilly started a temper tantrum. I think he was more then fair in that instance, and I loved how he handled it. You can't tell the manager no, that you're not coming out.

Gibson demands respect, and thats why. Thats what we need with a guy like Lawrie who has boatloads of talent but makes dumb mistakes.

John Farrell was a poor tactical manager, and he was a pushover, plain and simple. This is a definite upgrade and I like it much more then any of the candidates that were thrown around.

I'll assume by the name you just drink to much, because you certainly don't put any logic in your posts and you're as inconsistent as I've seen on HF...
Agreed!
Martini you are the worst

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Stansfield*

Quote:

wow....just wow.

Stansfield* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Didn't you argue me and other Jays fans for pages and pages of a thread on how the Jays got ripped off in the Marlins deal,
I dont think I did. I stated that the Marlins got what they wanted out of the deal and that the Jays recieved a ton of contract and questionable talent outside of Burh. If you or any other Jays fan took it to be anything more then that, well, thats not my problem.
Quote:
and how the Melky signing was 'relying on the unreliable'...
Melky is a known drugger now. My stance on PED's means nothing compared to the fact that Melky is know a known drugger.
Quote:
But now those moves are positive?
The Jays have beenthe laughing stock of the east for how long. How is these not positive moves? Does it make them better? Sure it does. Does it make them better then the better teams in the east? Doubtful but who knows. This was a good start for them.
Quote:

Yes, because a history of having mutinys from your roster, public fights, and finger pointing screams respect now for a team with a bit more veteran players. Lilly also, if I recall correctly, made a public "change of scenery" plea when he signed witht he Flubs. Gibbons has a history of confrontation that goes beyond just Lilly and Hildebrand. Benching Frank Thomas so he didnt hit his option was a completely underhanded move also. So, Gibbons is a company guy, big deal. His reputaion as a clod preseeds him like bad perfume.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote