HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

calluses - are they a bad thing? Also, book suggestions.

Old
12-01-2012, 08:08 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
calluses - are they a bad thing? Also, book suggestions.

I have two calluses - one on each big toe. They are on the outer side. They do not hurt, although when I was off the ice for a month and came back, the callus had worn down and it hurt for a week or so while the tough skin built back up.

So long as they're not bothering me, is it an issue? Is it fairly common for skaters to have them? If it's not an issue, I'll leave it alone. But otherwise, perhaps I should look into getting my skates punched in that area.

Book suggestions - are there any good books out there about positional playing, how to develop better hockey sense, etc? I'm getting better as I play, but I'd like to have a sort of playbook where I can read up on different styles of play, etc. I have books about power skating and the skills/mechanics of the sport, but nothing yet about different ways to run plays.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 09:36 AM
ArrogantOwl

The calluses aren't bad as long as they aren't giving you any problems or pain, although I doubt you'll be able to punch them out due to the toe cap well... being plastic it's kind of hard if that's where your big toes line up into.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 11:19 AM
izzy3

I had calluses on the same spot as yours for years, never had a problem with them. I do not think punching will work, but mine did get better (smaller) when I started to use a SIDAS footbed. I use them since 3 weeks or so, and they're getting better by the hour.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
I have two calluses - one on each big toe. They are on the outer side. They do not hurt, although when I was off the ice for a month and came back, the callus had worn down and it hurt for a week or so while the tough skin built back up.
I wouldn't worry too much, unless you are having inflimation, especially around the bone. If that area gets too inflames, and you continue to cause damage to it, calcium deposits will build up and they'll begin to adhere to your toe, causing you much discomfort.

Calluses aren't nessessarly bad, but they are indicitive of some sort of improper fit issue. If you can, get the area punched out a bit to releive the pressure, which is erring on the side of caution, but a good idea if you continue to have discomfort. Last thing you want to do is have an issue where bone begins to grow on your toe, because it'll lead to signifigant fit issues if not properly taken care of.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I have the exact same callouses...must be from hockey. Lately they got so thick that they would crack and that hurts, so I've had to file them down.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote