HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I think you caught them all.

I was hoping they'd have included someone that was either fighting for a 40 spot.

Right now theres still a number of guys needing protection from the rule 5 draft. Still lots of decisions to be made.
There is like Jimenez and bunch of fringe guys that won't get protected. They did trade Carlos Perez earlier who would have been fighting for that.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:29 PM
TootooTrain
-

Can someone help me out? What's the best stat to determine defensive ability/contributions to a win?

Old
11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Yup, that was probably my favourite part of the read. Also liked this part on Norris that should calm people down about his poor season:

You can also see his stats this season here

So mostly he was just very unlucky.
From what I recall Sanchez had a poor showing in his first professional season as well and then exploded onto the scene this year. Lets hope Norris follows the same path.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Nasty Nazem
Come at me Crow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Yup, that was probably my favourite part of the read. Also liked this part on Norris that should calm people down about his poor season:

You can also see his stats this season here

So mostly he was just very unlucky.
Had a 44.9% LOB in Bluefield.

Yeah, there was no way his ERA would have stayed that low had he kept pitching. Stuff was reportedly fine too, velocity was good. Mechanics need improvement. He is a guy that may take a few years to really develop but if his stuff keeps getting better, look out.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 262
Is it true Aaron Sanchez can play: starting pitcher, relief pitcher, shortstop, third baseman, first baseman, catcher, right fielder, and center fielder? That's crazy

Old
11-18-2012, 05:32 PM
ChesapeakeRipper
Tres Comma Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Hmm, does seem odd. It was a MOD that posted it though so I doubt it's a troll. How did he even find it?
yup, that's my confusion. can't find it on the site.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Can someone help me out? What's the best stat to determine defensive ability/contributions to a win?
There really isn't one. Defensive metrics are fairly new (relatively speaking) and they haven't found one that really sticks in terms of being a consistent, comparable, workable indicator of defensive prowess.

And as far as "contributions to a win", WAR sort of covers that, but only on a season-by-season (and career-long) basis. And in spite of its invention, anyone who uses stats will (or should) tell you that no one number, not even WAR, should be taken as a definitive indicator of value on a player. WAR is good for comparisons and for making very general value judgments, but any good player analysis really should use as many different pieces of information as possible.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
Sometimes I use Twitter: @Nemesis_HF
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Damn, I wont be home to see it. I guess I can always skip.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:37 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

I took the presser note out of the thread title until we can clear up the confusion around that video page and what it means.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
#Chychrun2016

vCash: 262
If there is a presser, what would it be? The Miami trade and Cabrera signing aren't official yet, and we still don't have a skipper. Maybe AA quietly signed a manager or Melky's signing will be official?

Old
11-18-2012, 05:41 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
If there is a presser, what would it be? The Miami trade and Cabrera signing aren't official yet, and we still don't have a skipper. Maybe AA quietly signed a manager or Melky's signing will be official?
They aren't official right now, but there's no reason not to think that they couldn't be made official tomorrow morning in time for the Jays to have the press conference announcing them.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

Whats this?

http://live.sportsnet.ca/Event/Live_...ess_conference

Old
11-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Dr.Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post

I'd bet that the trade is going to be made official tomorrow.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Silver91
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Had a 44.9% LOB in Bluefield.

Yeah, there was no way his ERA would have stayed that low had he kept pitching. Stuff was reportedly fine too, velocity was good. Mechanics need improvement. He is a guy that may take a few years to really develop but if his stuff keeps getting better, look out.
Yeah, his LOB was so low at first I misread it as LD% and figured he was just getting squared up on the pitches they were hitting lol

But yeah, I've been saying the whole time that I believe he'll be fine and as he rises through the ranks he'll start to show more polish and prove why he was so highly regarded.

----

Also just wanted to point out a couple scheduling quirks I noticed, looking at the Jays sched to see which games I would realistically like to go to...

-May 27-30 we play 4 games vs. the Braves, but they're split between Toronto and ATL.
-In the middle of June we'll see the Rangers 7 times in 10 days.

I knew there'd be some quirks, but I don't think I've ever seen a home-and-home in an MLB season before, and never thought it would happen, even in the era of uneven team conferences.

Also, I think that, depending on how the Yankees manage to take care of their pitching needs, and if any of the teams manage a Cinderella-esque season ala the Orioles, it's looking like the majority of our September games should be winnable with 6 vs. the Angels and Rays, and then 19 vs. the Royals (1)/D-backs/Twins/O's/Yankees/Red Sox...Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I can live with this schedule to end the season.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:44 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
There really isn't one. Defensive metrics are fairly new (relatively speaking) and they haven't found one that really sticks in terms of being a consistent, comparable, workable indicator of defensive prowess.

And as far as "contributions to a win", WAR sort of covers that, but only on a season-by-season (and career-long) basis. And in spite of its invention, anyone who uses stats will (or should) tell you that no one number, not even WAR, should be taken as a definitive indicator of value on a player. WAR is good for comparisons and for making very general value judgments, but any good player analysis really should use as many different pieces of information as possible.
Thanks Nem. I've got an open mind to the progressions in the game but as you probably already know I'm fairly traditional. Certainly not a caveman though. I've been trying to find an accurate way of assessing a players defensive worth by primarily looking at fielding percentage but even that can lead to some sketchy findings.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Thanks Nem. I've got an open mind to the progressions in the game but as you probably already know I'm fairly traditional. Certainly not a caveman though. I've been trying to find an accurate way of assessing a players defensive worth by primarily looking at fielding percentage but even that can lead to some sketchy findings.
IIRC, Fielding % relies on errors, and if nothing else errors are a downright terrible "stat" (quite possibly the worst, right up there with using wins as a measure of pitcher quality) based largely on the subjectivity of individual statisticians and often applied in a way that often tends to punish good fielders for making valiant attempts to get to difficult balls and doesn't impact poor fielders who never even make cursory attempts on balls that their peers might have been able to get to.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:52 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
IIRC, Fielding % relies on errors, and if nothing else errors are a downright terrible "stat" (quite possibly the worst, right up there with using wins as a measure of pitcher quality) based largely on the subjectivity of individual statisticians and often applied in a way that often tends to punish good fielders for making valiant attempts to get to difficult balls and doesn't impact poor fielders who never even make cursory attempts on balls that their peers might have been able to get to.
I'll double check that, but if errors are indeed the base for fielding percentage, that's another reason to avoid it. Errors are just as useless as wins for pitchers.

Old
11-18-2012, 05:55 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I'll double check that, but if errors are indeed the base for fielding percentage, that's another reason to avoid it. Errors are just as useless as wins for pitchers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fielding_percentage

Fielding % = putouts + assists / total chances (putouts + assists + errors)

So really, all Fielding % measures is the % of the time that a player gets to a ball and doesn't make an error.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

so its the trade

wierd:
Ricky Romero @RickyRo24Hank Moody #MyHero RT @TheROXProject: "There's something about every damn one of you... A smile, a curve, a secret." - @SHO_Cali 4:15pm

Old
11-18-2012, 06:07 PM
TootooTrain
-

With a little bit of research, UZR, or 'Ultimate Zone Rating' seems like the quickest way of putting a defensive value on a player. Granted it's fairly general, and it still uses errors in it's calculation, it appears to atleast be better than fielding %.
Source: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/defense/uzr/

Old
11-18-2012, 06:09 PM
redbeard7737

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post

so its the trade

wierd:
Ricky Romero @RickyRo24Hank Moody #MyHero RT @TheROXProject: "There's something about every damn one of you... A smile, a curve, a secret." - @SHO_Cali 4:15pm
what does that even mean?

Old
11-18-2012, 06:10 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard7737 View Post
what does that even mean?
I think Ricky's a fan of the show called 'Californication' and I believe that's the quote from the show.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:15 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

some mod should make a manager vote poll

acta
wakamatsu
-----
------
----

Old
11-18-2012, 06:17 PM
91Kadri91

Quote:
With a little bit of research, UZR, or 'Ultimate Zone Rating' seems like the quickest way of putting a defensive value on a player. Granted it's fairly general, and it still uses errors in it's calculation, it appears to atleast be better than fielding %.
Source: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/defense/uzr/
Fair warning: UZR needs a couple seasons to accurately measure the defensive ability of a player. You can't just look at one season of a player and say they turned it around/they'll be great defensively (although that's entirely possible) just because they had a good UZR rating for one season. Just like you can't say Hech is going to be a below-average fielder because he had a negative UZR after 41 games. UZR just doesn't work that way.

I used to be really bad for evaluating a players worth after one season (still do on occasion), but it really doesn't give an accurate measure of a players true defensive ability after a single season.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:19 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

J.J and Reyes bobbleheads:

https://twitter.com/Kristen_610/stat...227072/photo/1

Closed Thread