HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season Madness V: Your cable bill is going up|Presser Tue @ 9:30am ET/6:30am PT

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Cool Beans Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
In Bob Elliott's latest article (Toronto Sun) he claims that John Buck has been told that he'll be the Jays back up catcher. Sounds like J.P. isn't going anywhere, unless of course another GM blows AA's socks off.
True, today, John Buck is the Blue Jays back-up catcher.

That could change very quickly. Maybe D'Arnaud forces the Jays to take him, and ride a combo of TDA and JPA, with JP seeing time as DH (especially against lefties).

Maybe AA is looking to flip Buck and have Wilson as insurance.

Mathis signed an extension with the assumption he was going to be the Jays back-up catcher. Didn't even get to start the contract as a Jay.

Luke Schenn was told by Burke he wasn't going anywhere. I don't think it's guaranteed to say Buck will be the opening day back-up catcher.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:32 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
In Bob Elliott's latest article (Toronto Sun) he claims that John Buck has been told that he'll be the Jays back up catcher. Sounds like J.P. isn't going anywhere, unless of course another GM blows AA's socks off.
Perhaps the plan is for D'Arnaud to play and have Buck mentor him?

Old
11-18-2012, 09:36 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post

That could change very quickly. Maybe D'Arnaud forces the Jays to take him, and ride a combo of TDA and JPA, with JP seeing time as DH (especially against lefties).

Mathis signed an extension with the assumption he was going to be the Jays back-up catcher. Didn't even get to start the contract as a Jay.

Luke Schenn was told by Burke he wasn't going anywhere. I don't think it's guaranteed to say Buck will be the opening day back-up catcher.
You're definitely correct.

As of right now, John Buck is the back up. However, if there is a substantial offer made for JPA he could very easily become starter or if D'Arnaud does well enough in camp he could be traded/released. Just because it's their intention to have him start as backup doesn't mean it's set in stone.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:38 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Could be, but with all the moves it looks like Rogers is going for it all. They likely want to at least start the season with a proven starter and, if necessary, make a trade when D'Arnaud has actually proven something at the Major League level.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Quote:
Doubtful, considering how much time he missed last season. Also i doubt the coaching staff would feel comfortable starting a rookie with 5 veterans in the rotation. If JPA is moved, Buck would definitely be getting the majority of starts, at least until D'Arnaud proves he can handle the majors.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
I would think the plan is to simply have TDA play a full season in AAA...no need to rush him with Arrenciba and Buck on board

I'm thinking they want to do the same with Gose...let him play a full year in Buffalo while you give Rasmus another season to figure out what you got there.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Could be, but with all the moves it looks like Rogers is going for it all. They likely want to at least start the season with a proven starter and, if necessary, make a trade when D'Arnaud has actually proven something at the Major League level.
It's possible to start a rookie catcher, and contend. The Giants proved that in 2010 with Buster Posey.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post
I would think the plan is to simply have TDA play a full season in AAA...no need to rush him with Arrenciba and Buck on board

I'm thinking they want to do the same with Gose...let him play a full year in Buffalo while you give Rasmus another season to figure out what you got there.
The difference is that Gose is raw, and needs time to refine his offensive skill-set. Travis D'Arnaud has done everything you can do at the minor league level, there isn't much left for him in AAA.

Old
11-18-2012, 09:56 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
It's possible to start a rookie catcher, and contend. The Giants proved that in 2010 with Buster Posey.
D'Arnaud is not Posey though. He's a good prospect but missed a lot of time last year. We'll see him in September or if there's an injury, but I think they'll take their time with him. He could very well make the team out of camp, but I think they'll take their time. He's likely better off playing everyday in AAA than being back up in Toronto.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:00 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

John Buck ain't a shabby backup C to have, not gonna lie. He's overpaid, sure, but he's got some pop and decent D/play calling. I'll take that as backup anyday

Old
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 470
Quote:
Despite their pending blockbuster, keep an eye on the Blue Jays and the pitching market. Silverman suggests that Anibal Sanchez and Edwin Jackson could be in play for Toronto.
The Blue Jays are shopping their three catchers (John Buck, J.P. Arencibia, and Travis d'Arnaud) but are leaning towards Arencibia or d'Arnaud.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...rade+Rumors%29

I say Swisher, Marcum, Scutaro and we done.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post

If D'Arnaud forces the Jays to take him out of spring training, I would imagine JPA is gone. I don't see any sense to have him split time in the MLB. If he's here, I want him playing everyday with a good veteran presence (Buck) to mentor him. If that isn't the case, D'Arnaud should stay in the minors.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Quote:
The difference is that Gose is raw, and needs time to refine his offensive skill-set. Travis D'Arnaud has done everything you can do at the minor league level, there isn't much left for him in AAA.
While TDA was having a fine season last year in AAA, he still only has the half season under his belt.

Not to mention it'll be interesting to see how the prospects (TDA, Gose etc) in Buffalo as opposed to Vegas.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Scion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
D'Arnaud is not Posey though. He's a good prospect but missed a lot of time last year. We'll see him in September or if there's an injury, but I think they'll take their time with him. He could very well make the team out of camp, but I think they'll take their time. He's likely better off playing everyday in AAA than being back up in Toronto.
The point is not that Travis D'Arnaud is Buster Posey (though the similarities between the two are striking), the point is that starting a rookie catcher does not preclude a ball club from contending.

None of this is to mention the fact that J.P. Arencibia is a below average catcher, it's not unreasonable to project D'Arnaud as an immediate upgrade over him.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
mrburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
If D'Arnaud forces the Jays to take him out of spring training, I would imagine JPA is gone. I don't see any sense to have him split time in the MLB. If he's here, I want him playing everyday with a good veteran presence (Buck) to mentor him. If that isn't the case, D'Arnaud should stay in the minors.
I think it`s almost certain TDA will not be called up until i believe June so that they can delay his arbitration clock.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post

Where do Swisher and Scutaro play?

I think Bonafacio is fine as our 2B and Cabrera was signed to play LF.

Also, Hayhurst said Marcum had character issues and I trust him. I'm hoping for Sanchez though. Our rotation will be perfect then.

Johnson
Buerhle
Morrow
Romero
Sanchez

11-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Scion

Quote:
While TDA was having a fine season last year in AAA, he still only has the half season under his belt.
Travis D'Arnaud' entire minor league career has been dominant.

Quote:
Not to mention it'll be interesting to see how the prospects (TDA, Gose etc) in Buffalo as opposed to Vegas.
Travis D'Arnaud 2012 Splits

Home: .324/.378/.613
Away: .343/.381/.577

Old
11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post
I think it`s almost certain TDA will not be called up until i believe June so that they can delay his arbitration clock.
That's what I expect as well. If JPA gets traded and I fully expect him to in between now and spring training, I see them rolling with Buck and Wilson until they're absolutely sure D'Arnaud is ready for the show.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Scion

Another argument to consider is this, with the exception of Morrow and Romero, Arencibia is just as inexperienced with the Jays starting staff as D'Arnaud.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:

That's around $35M in additional salary for players that would be luxuries at this point. I don't see AA making anymore major FA signings (then again, who the hell knows?), but if he does, I highly doubt we get any of those 3, for different reasons respectively.

Personally, I think a young-ish arm with potential is most likely to be AA's finishing touch, someone like Porcello, Chacin, Ogando, McDonald, etc... Niese would be amazing, but he'd cost JPA and probably one of our better prospects which is a little rich for a #5 for me, even if it's a pitcher as good as Niese. If we could get him for something like JPA + Sierra + Carreno/Pillar/Nessy/etc., I'd be all for it, but that's unlikely (queue AA: "These are the prospects you are looking for" comments haha)

Old
11-18-2012, 10:25 PM
mrburke

Quote:
Another argument to consider is this, with the exception of Morrow and Romero, Arencibia is just as inexperienced with the Jays starting staff as D'Arnaud.
He`s more experienced with the bull pen as well

Old
11-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrburke View Post
Honestly, I don't think that matters much. If TDA proves to be worth a contract, he'll get it. At this point, I won't say AA can't afford to hold TDA down to delay his arbitration clock, but if he's our best catcher on opening day, it makes no sense not to field our best line-up now that he's gone all-in.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Brody
$$

Quote:

I say Swisher, Jackson, Lind gone and we done.

I know we're being very greedy, so I'd be happy with one of Swisher or Jackson... Still pretty greedy

Old
11-18-2012, 10:50 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

more likely getting guys thru trades than free agency no?

Old
11-18-2012, 11:18 PM
mrburke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Honestly, I don't think that matters much. If TDA proves to be worth a contract, he'll get it. At this point, I won't say AA can't afford to hold TDA down to delay his arbitration clock, but if he's our best catcher on opening day, it makes no sense not to field our best line-up now that he's gone all-in.
I think that`s just it though, we dont have to rush him as we have JPA here who can easily fill in until he`s a 100 % ready. He just had a very serious knee injury that cost him half the season I think it makes a lot more sense to send him down let him work on his game for a bit get the rust off and all while being able to maintain control of him for an extra year. Also he will still get work in with the starters during spring training but then can go back down for a couple months and get ready. Seems like a good way to keep expectations lower and let him develop fully before coming up

Closed Thread