Official Sports Radio Thread Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Pie O My

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Same here. Montville, for example, was always a must read. CHB is a must avoid. And on it goes down the line.
Isn't Montville still around and writing?

Here's one for you....Ray Fitzgerald. That guy right there was worth the price of a subs.

Old
01-30-2013, 08:54 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post

Here's one for you....Ray Fitzgerald. That guy right there was worth the price of a subs.
Yeah, Ray was great as well. In fairness to the current staff though, we've got Chris Gasper now...

Old
01-30-2013, 08:58 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Things from Chiarelli:
Around $9m in capspace at the deadline
can add $15m in salary at the deadline
Will talk to FA's sometime during the season
Dougies job to lose going in
3rd line not clicking will see how it goes
goal tending schedule plan in place
9/15? If they have 9 in space now, wouldn't it be 13 that they can add (provided they put Savard's 4mil on the shelf)?

I have no idea what the cap implications were for this season or going forward, or even what their cap numbers and salaries are CURRENTLY on the roster. The lockout totally killed any/all understanding I had of any part of the business end of hockey, which is probably good.

That being said, 9 mil in space at the deadline is more than enough. Heck, even half that would suffice.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
9/15? If they have 9 in space now, wouldn't it be 13 that they can add (provided they put Savard's 4mil on the shelf)?

I have no idea what the cap implications were for this season or going forward, or even what their cap numbers and salaries are CURRENTLY on the roster. The lockout totally killed any/all understanding I had of any part of the business end of hockey, which is probably good.

That being said, 9 mil in space at the deadline is more than enough. Heck, even half that would suffice.
pretty sure the 9m included Savard's 4mil in it. but yeah they are in great shape.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
pretty sure the 9m included Savard's 4mil in it. but yeah they are in great shape.
So, instead of adding the 3rd line left winger that we so covet here on HFB, what do ya s'pose the chances are we add a top 6-er and move Looch or Marchy to LW on the Kelly line?

More likely we add the 3rd liner and a d-man, IMO, but food for thought.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

Montville was with SI for a while. He's written some books so I think that's what his main emphasis is now.

The guest column he wrote for the Globe when the Sox won in 04 was sublime. What makes him great IMHO is his love for sports, unlike so many at the Globe now. I'd put Roger Angell and Joe Posnanski in that category too - people who love what they do make their work a joy to read.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:

Fran Rosa

Old
01-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

The drunken recaps this morning were pretty funny.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:36 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post
So, instead of adding the 3rd line left winger that we so covet here on HFB, what do ya s'pose the chances are we add a top 6-er and move Looch or Marchy to LW on the Kelly line?

That's the approach I wish they would take. Get a top 6 guy and improve from the top down. Instead, they'll go with a bottom 6 guy and not spend the money and prospects it would take to make the team a favorite to win the cup.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Fran Rosa
have to disagree my man. There is a reason there is no hockey representation when folks talk about the golden age of Mcdounough, Gammons, and Ryan. Fran Rosa and Tom Fitzgerald were pedestrian writers at best. Completely vanilla and formulaic. Hard to believe now but when KPD first came on the scene he really was a breath of fresh air compared to those two. They say D. Leo Monahan was a good one, but we weren't a Herald family so I can't speak to that.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:40 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:

I would like for them to trade for Iginla who would easily make us cup favorites but instead we'll end up with someone like Darche.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
I would like for them to trade for Iginla who would easily make us cup favorites but instead we'll end up with someone like Darche.
what are we giving up and how do we make the money work- half our team has no trades to Calgary I'm sure

I'd figure they want offense and speed so I'd ask for Koko and Spooner and a conditional first if we win (Dougie a no go, Subban forget it, Knight has been hurt and until plays question mark and to much a risk)....

if Bruins fans really want this guy they need to feel some pain- probably have to give up some dollars like Peverley

Peverley, Spooner, and Koko for Iginla and decent prospect but not top 10

Old
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Funny thing from this morning. After flipping on TSH and hearing them predictably railing on and on about Ray Lewis and his miraculous recovery, I put on WEEI to see what they were talking about. They were chatting about Rondo and when they went to break they did a tease for some guest coming up and it went something like this: "coming up next we speak with NFL blah blah blah about the superbowl and in the next half hour we're also going even talk some Bruins." Like they had to qualify it and the fact that D&C were going to speak about hockey shocked even Dennis.

Also, on the topic of Lewis and his deer antler velvet usage. Can't say that it's all that surprising. Can't fake moral outrage over it either. Ironic to me that the media people here who lauded Welker in his ridiculously fast recovery from ACL surgery don't turn an introspective lens towards his getting back much faster than most do, yet are all over this Lewis and Suggs thing. Of course they used HGH and other chemicals to recover faster. They all do. Adrian Peterson comes back and runs for over 2K mere months after ACL surgery and people don't question it? Just assume that everyone is on some kind of PED and everything will be fine. Silly to do otherwise, IMO.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
have to disagree my man. There is a reason there is no hockey representation when folks talk about the golden age of Mcdounough, Gammons, and Ryan. Fran Rosa and Tom Fitzgerald were pedestrian writers at best. Completely vanilla and formulaic. Hard to believe now but when KPD first came on the scene he really was a breath of fresh air compared to those two. They say D. Leo Monahan was a good one, but we weren't a Herald family so I can't speak to that.
I'll defer to your vast wisdom on the subject. Growing up I read everything I could on hockey...even Stan Fischler!!

Old
01-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
what are we giving up and how do we make the money work- half our team has no trades to Calgary I'm sure

I'd figure they want offense and speed so I'd ask for Koko and Spooner and a conditional first if we win (Dougie a no go, Subban forget it, Knight has been hurt and until plays question mark and to much a risk)....

if Bruins fans really want this guy they need to feel some pain- probably have to give up some dollars like Peverley

I'm fine with that but it might not even cost that much star rental players don't get nearly what they are worth in trade. Look at recent trades like Kovalchuk and Hossa to Pitt.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:54 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

I'd only be willing to do a deal for Iginla if he were signed to an extension as part of the move. Otherwise the cost to obtain will outweigh the benefit of getting him for the short term.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
I'll defer to your vast wisdom on the subject. Growing up I read everything I could on hockey...even Stan Fischler!!
Bobby Orr couldn't even crack his top 10 all time because he will never be as good as Frank boucher or something. How that ****** gets to be in Bruins dvd's while KPD is shout out of them is beyond me.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Funny thing from this morning. After flipping on TSH and hearing them predictably railing on and on about Ray Lewis and his miraculous recovery, I put on WEEI to see what they were talking about. They were chatting about Rondo and when they went to break they did a tease for some guest coming up and it went something like this: "coming up next we speak with NFL blah blah blah about the superbowl and in the next half hour we're also going even talk some Bruins." Like they had to qualify it and the fact that D&C were going to speak about hockey shocked even Dennis.

Also, on the topic of Lewis and his deer antler velvet usage. Can't say that it's all that surprising. Can't fake moral outrage over it either. Ironic to me that the media people here who lauded Welker in his ridiculously fast recovery from ACL surgery don't turn an introspective lens towards his getting back much faster than most do, yet are all over this Lewis and Suggs thing. Of course they used HGH and other chemicals to recover faster. They all do. Adrian Peterson comes back and runs for over 2K mere months after ACL surgery and people don't question it? Just assume that everyone is on some kind of PED and everything will be fine. Silly to do otherwise, IMO.
do they still hate the Beanpot? Even Eddie Andelman liked the Beanpot! What did the Beanpot ever do to you?!

Old
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

Salary cap wise this season Iginla isn't a problem at all. If the talent we're offering up is the best Calgary can get from a team Iginla would go to, they'll take Thomas as a cost of doing business, and the hits even themselves off for the most part.

There's also no way I'd deal both Spooner and Koko, I think you'll want to keep at least one of them so you don't leave the organization bereft of talented center options.

The NTC (which is more for the re-signing of Iginla than anything else) thing is one of the only two things I have to criticize the front office team on (the other being the 2007-2009 drafts). NTCs should be for franchise players or massive hometown discounts. Chris Kelly and to a lesser extent Peverley are neither of those, and therefore shouldn't have sniffed NTCs or limited NTCs.

I hope Chiarelli can sell Jacobs in the offseason that Iginla merchandise sales will offset the cost of buying out Kelly if he can't be traded.

As far as an Iginla trade. Knight/Caron, Spooner/Koko, pick.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:06 AM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

Quote:

It would hurt to give up Koko, but I would do that deal to bring Iginla onboard for a couple of seasons of cup contention.

A true fan who will always be remembered.
Old
01-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:

Did they mention Grahame Nash at all?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
did their flash guy get last night's score right or did they pull the old "and the B's topped the devils in a SO last night"?

Old
01-30-2013, 10:16 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't know. I tuned in long enough to hear the incredulous tone in Dennis' voice that they were going to even talk Bruins and that coupled with T&R beating the Lewis PED story to death was enough for me to put on music.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Donnie Shulzhoffer

Quote:
did their flash guy get last night's score right or did they pull the old "and the B's topped the devils in a SO last night"?
Winter actually plowed through all the scores from last night.

Quote:
I don't know. I tuned in long enough to hear the incredulous tone in Dennis' voice that they were going to even talk Bruins and that coupled with T&R beating the Lewis PED story to death was enough for me to put on music.
This has been the typical theme here now. "EEI sucks because they don't talk hockey", "EEI is talking hockey and they suck at it"

It is has become old and tiresome. I was always upset over the years that they would not talk hockey but with the Hub giving them competition it has forced them to do so. I think it is great and I now utilize both stations and pick my shows that suit my taste.

Old
01-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Shaun
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
Winter actually plowed through all the scores from last night.

This has been the typical theme here now. "EEI sucks because they don't talk hockey", "EEI is talking hockey and they suck at it"

It is has become old and tiresome. I was always upset over the years that they would not talk hockey but with the Hub giving them competition it has forced them to do so. I think it is great and I now utilize both stations and pick my shows that suit my taste.
I actually listened to Mut and Merloni yesterday and there was decent hockey talk. Dennis and Callahan suck at talking anything besides politics and golf. Hopefully they get switched to WRKO soon and a decent show is put in for the mornings. Unfortunately they'll probably put Minihane on since he's the "future of WEEI".

Closed Thread