Official Sports Radio Thread Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Pie O My

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
you'd have a hard time taking the B's from CBS Radio, when EEI has the C's, YOU'D SEE CONFLICTS in coverage
how's that working out for them?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:36 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
how's that working out for them?
quite well, actually, cause when were the B's a prime tenant on radio, on any Boston market, prior to the CBS Radio deal and WBZ becoming the Sports Hub, you keep forgetting CBS Sports Radio took DA national, didn't they?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:50 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
I was thinking about it during my drive today and changing the format of the Big Show from Ordway, Sheppard and 2 guests is what killed it. Ordway wasn't good at giving an opinion he was good at moderating a discussion.
Exactly. Every show had a theme. You knew that when it was Glenn, Pete, DeOssie and Smerlas, you were going to get good football talk. Insert McAdam and Buckley and it's a baseball theme. The same concept can easily be applied for the other sports. I know they had Edwards on sometimes, but by then I had switched to Felger and Mazz full time.

02-14-2013, 12:57 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

I could care less about big o professionally wise. I hope he made enough money or he gets back on his feet. But when it comes to radio i made the jump the minute 98.5 was on the air. I could see this happening about a year or two in. You would hear guys who called in to EEI religiously were now calling up the sports hub. And nevermind the listeners you pulled in with toucher and rich. I actually liked dale and holley the rest was just not for me. Maybe its my age range but Dennis and Callahan i could never stomach and the big o show was only really good for the weiner whiner line.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Therick67

Quote:
EEI should now stake their future on 2 big bets...

1 - Get the Bruins. I have no idea when their contract is up with sports hub but when it is up they need to beg, borrow, and steal and do whatever it takes to be their flagship station.

2 - Have a woman host. I'm not talking about that pre menopausal matriarch they experimented with years ago with Ordway (the fire in the belly lady), but a young, knowledgeable, "with it" personality. Like some of the young ladies they have on comcast like Mary P. who cohosts with Tom Curran, or Jessica Moran. Guys would love it because they do indeed know their sports and they're easy on the eyes, and woman would start tuning in and calling up a lot more because they would feel more at ease with a young woman like them taking their calls. Maybe wouldn't move the needle much in terms of their niche target demo, but they're overall ratings would go up with new listeners. That's gotta be worth something to advertisers.
Janet Prensky I think? Anyway, that was painful to listen to, but EEI was the only game in town. Thankfully that changed.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
Quote:
Toucher and Rich ‏@Toucherandrich
Sorry for not being on the air the last few days. Early yesterday morning, my amazing wife Mary was diagnosed with AML, a form of leukemia.

Toucher and Rich ‏@Toucherandrich
I will be spending time with her for the near future. I appreciate any thoughts and prayers you guys could send her way. -Rich

wow that's terrible.
agreed.

Rich Shertenlieb on leave from 'Toucher and Rich' after wife's leukemia diagnosis
Rich Shertenlieb, co-host of 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich'' morning program, announced Thursday that he will be absent from the program in the immediate future after learning Wednesday that his wife has a form of leukemia:
http://www.boston.com/sports/touchin...eave_from.html

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
02-14-2013, 01:38 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
agreed.

Rich Shertenlieb on leave from 'Toucher and Rich' after wife's leukemia diagnosis
Rich Shertenlieb, co-host of 98.5 The Sports Hub's "Toucher and Rich'' morning program, announced Thursday that he will be absent from the program in the immediate future after learning Wednesday that his wife has a form of leukemia:
http://www.boston.com/sports/touchin...eave_from.html
wow....my favorite person on that radio, comes across as a just a funny down to earth guy, upbeat- heard the show this week and Fred said he was home with kids sick...ugh...obviously best of luck

Old
02-14-2013, 01:41 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
Was that when Al Festa was doing the play by play using the term "checkerboard" passing...lol.
Pretty sure they did NEC and Middlesex League games there on the late 60's and early 70's.
I think I remember him- I wasn't that good but some of my friends were, and I can remember Ordway doing those interviews with them....was it WESX I think

Old
02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
DKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettMike View Post
Tom E. Curran and Sean McAdam would get me back to sports talk in Boston. Daily.
I like both them- McAdam is great but gets killed for being boring, but he's a HUGE Bruins fan and of course, extremeley respected baseball writer. McAdam is the type if I know is on I'll grab the headphones when heading out to walk the dog just to hear him....

Curran's off the wall but he's got energy....I do like Trini- she brings it even over the radio, very funny, sharp, and has the sports covered well

but what they should do is sort of what Ordway was doing at the end

two hosts FIXED and a FLEX third guy in all 4 hours based on the topic or season

Old
02-14-2013, 01:57 PM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I like both them- McAdam is great but gets killed for being boring, but he's a HUGE Bruins fan and of course, extremeley respected baseball writer. McAdam is the type if I know is on I'll grab the headphones when heading out to walk the dog just to hear him....

Curran's off the wall but he's got energy....I do like Trini- she brings it even over the radio, very funny, sharp, and has the sports covered well

but what they should do is sort of what Ordway was doing at the end

two hosts FIXED and a FLEX third guy in all 4 hours based on the topic or season
Agreed on McAdam. He is one of my favorites. I wish he was on the hub.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
Agreed on McAdam. He is one of my favorites. I wish he was on the hub.
I forget who said it, but back when I used to watch Sports Tonight on CSN, they called McAdam "Count Dooku" and I spit out whatever I was eating from laughing so hard. They put a pic of Christopher Lee side by side with him.

The man knows his stuff though, and he knows music too.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
EEI should now stake their future on 2 big bets...

1 - Get the Bruins. I have no idea when their contract is up with sports hub but when it is up they need to beg, borrow, and steal and do whatever it takes to be their flagship station.

2 - Have a woman host. I'm not talking about that pre menopausal matriarch they experimented with years ago with Ordway (the fire in the belly lady), but a young, knowledgeable, "with it" personality. Like some of the young ladies they have on comcast like Mary P. who cohosts with Tom Curran, or Jessica Moran. Guys would love it because they do indeed know their sports and they're easy on the eyes, and woman would start tuning in and calling up a lot more because they would feel more at ease with a young woman like them taking their calls. Maybe wouldn't move the needle much in terms of their niche target demo, but they're overall ratings would go up with new listeners. That's gotta be worth something to advertisers.
I always thought the sports alignments were backwards. Wouldn't it make sense to have...

98.5-CSN-Herald-Celtics-Patriots

WEEI-NESN-Globe-Bruins-Red Sox

Old
02-14-2013, 02:19 PM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I forget who said it, but back when I used to watch Sports Tonight on CSN, they called McAdam "Count Dooku" and I spit out whatever I was eating from laughing so hard. They put a pic of Christopher Lee side by side with him.

The man knows his stuff though, and he knows music too.

Excellent comparison. I never thought of that.

Old
02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
Shaun

this guy is Mutnansky 2.0

jesus christ

Old
02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
smithformeragent

Quote:
this guy is Mutnansky 2.0

jesus christ
Didn't he play the color guy in Major League?

Old
02-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Alicat
City of Champions!

Thoughts go out to Rich, his wife Mary and their families!

I am Boston Strong

Old
02-14-2013, 05:01 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I always thought the sports alignments were backwards. Wouldn't it make sense to have...

98.5-CSN-Herald-Celtics-Patriots

WEEI-NESN-Globe-Bruins-Red Sox
tht only works, Morris, TV-Wise, because Jacobs is a minority partner in NESN, and THEY NEED Something to fill those 3 months the Sox aren't playing...

RADIO-Wise it's doubtful 98.5 EVEN EXISTED then as it was a different genre (WAAF), BUT WBZ 1030 had the C's from 1969-81, and WEEI had the B's briefly from 1990-94 W/ Bob Wilson...

interesting note, even Bob Neumeier, who now does primarily horse racing for NBC/NBCSN, and is on CSN was the radio announcer for the B's preceding Goucher's ascension from Providence (2000-01); even Brick and Pederson, who we see on NESN Full-time each did a year on radio

Old
02-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Ordway's done on EEI. Boston's a hockey city. It dominates the Celtics now and the Bruins are consistent success for talk radio. I'm not surprised the Big Show's gone but it was getting a bit dated. Salk better be prepared to talk Bruins to get ratings like Felger and Mazz. I will give him a shot at it as I'm finding Felger and Mazz insufferable, obnoxious and ignorant. Like I said I'd rather listen to Canadian radio or comedy radio on my phone or Sirius than Felger and Mazz with Felger talking about how the Bruins were terrible last season, bias towards Wisconsin, and pronouncing players names wrong

Old
02-14-2013, 05:35 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Ordway's done on EEI. Boston's a hockey city. It dominates the Celtics now and the Bruins are consistent success for talk radio. I'm not surprised the Big Show's gone but it was getting a bit dated. Salk better be prepared to talk Bruins to get ratings like Felger and Mazz. I will give him a shot at it as I'm finding Felger and Mazz insufferable, obnoxious and ignorant. Like I said I'd rather listen to Canadian radio or comedy radio on my phone or Sirius than Felger and Mazz with Felger talking about how the Bruins were terrible last season, bias towards Wisconsin, and pronouncing players names wrong
I listened to yesterday's opening this AM of the Big Show, but Ordway's not done in radio, he's just not inclined to decide where to next, even Wolfe, if you read between what he said in making the abrupt change it's the business nature of a media-driven market where virtually everything is overanalyzed.

Old
02-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Listening to Fred read that tweet from Rich about his wife then he starts to cry was really, really hard to listen to.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Listening to Fred read that tweet from Rich about his wife then he starts to cry was really, really hard to listen to.
I didn't hear this but I believe it. I wish him and his all the best.

Old
02-14-2013, 06:57 PM
schmautzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Maybe you should just move to Canada. You Commie bastted!

Old
02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
I was thinking about it during my drive today and changing the format of the Big Show from Ordway, Sheppard and 2 guests is what killed it. Ordway wasn't good at giving an opinion he was good at moderating a discussion.
This development is news to me. And Glen Ordway was good at little else than being a consumate DB.

Good riddance, and eff 'eei forever. And the day after that.

Old
02-14-2013, 08:59 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
Janet Prensky I think? Anyway, that was painful to listen to, but EEI was the only game in town. Thankfully that changed.
Don't forget the immortal "Sports Babe." Ugh. And ugh again.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:23 PM
mikelvl

Horrible news for Rich S., puts things in perspective, prayers for them, hope they caught it in time.

Closed Thread