HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Rank by Highest Peak: Iginla vs Thornton vs Alfredson vs Elias

View Poll Results: Who had the highest career peak?
Jarome Iginla 39 18.75%
Joe Thornton 159 76.44%
Daniel Alfredsson 6 2.88%
Patrik Elias 4 1.92%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2012, 12:37 AM
  #1
OzzyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Rank by Highest Peak: Iginla vs Thornton vs Alfredson vs Elias

Who had the highest career peak in order? Jarome Iginla vs Joe Thornton vs Daniel Alfredsson vs Patrik Elias. Or in other words, rank 1st to 4th.

OzzyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:41 AM
  #2
nowhereman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,486
vCash: 500
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:47 AM
  #3
Falcons93
Registered User
 
Falcons93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
/thread

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:51 AM
  #4
Tuomaz
Registered User
 
Tuomaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Cape Verde
Posts: 4,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
Well that was over fast.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:53 AM
  #5
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,943
vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
Same for me.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:59 AM
  #6
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
Pretty much this, Alfredsson and Elias are interchangeable though for me. Back to back years of almost 100 assists is insane though

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:09 AM
  #7
Sad King Jimmy
That's hockey baby!
 
Sad King Jimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,291
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
Came to post this.

Sad King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:25 AM
  #8
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,310
vCash: 500
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Elias
4. Alfredsson

I doubt anyone is going to debate 1 and 2, Thornton and Iginla were arguably the best players in the World during their peaks.

Elias scored 96 points in 2000-2001, when league wide scoring was at 5.51 goals per game. He was clearly his team's best forward and had the most points on his team by 13 points. He was 3rd in league wide scoring, behind Jaromir Jagr and Joe Sakic. Not that it's an incredibly meaningful statistic, but he was also +45 that year, a mark only surpassed by 4 players in the 11 seasons since then. Elias was a 1st team NHL All Star this season.

Alfredsson scored 103 points in 2005-2006, by far the highest scoring season since the mid 90s (6.17 goals per game). He was arguably only the 3rd best player on his line, which was definitely the NHL's best last season (some credit goes to him obviously, but you can't deny that playing with Heatley and Spezza is a huge boost). He was tied for 4th in league scoring (behind Thornton, Jagr and Ovechkin) with linemate Dany Heatley. Alfredsson was a 2nd team NHL All Star this season.


Last edited by MastuhNinks: 11-17-2012 at 01:33 AM.
MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:45 AM
  #9
rgb63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Thornton can and has been legitimately mentioned in the same sentence as Gretzky and Lemieux. I think that should answer this question.

rgb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:01 AM
  #10
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Elias
4. Alfredsson

I doubt anyone is going to debate 1 and 2, Thornton and Iginla were arguably the best players in the World during their peaks.

Elias scored 96 points in 2000-2001, when league wide scoring was at 5.51 goals per game. He was clearly his team's best forward and had the most points on his team by 13 points. He was 3rd in league wide scoring, behind Jaromir Jagr and Joe Sakic. Not that it's an incredibly meaningful statistic, but he was also +45 that year, a mark only surpassed by 4 players in the 11 seasons since then. Elias was a 1st team NHL All Star this season.

Alfredsson scored 103 points in 2005-2006, by far the highest scoring season since the mid 90s (6.17 goals per game). He was arguably only the 3rd best player on his line, which was definitely the NHL's best last season (some credit goes to him obviously, but you can't deny that playing with Heatley and Spezza is a huge boost). He was tied for 4th in league scoring (behind Thornton, Jagr and Ovechkin) with linemate Dany Heatley. Alfredsson was a 2nd team NHL All Star this season.
Lol... Alfredsson was the main reason that line functioned the way it did.

Of all the players mentioned, at their peaks, Alfredsson is the best all-around player. An all-around player scoring 100 points is pretty ****ing amazing.

Thornton
Alfredsson
Iginla
Elias

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:57 AM
  #11
maroon 6
Live and let live
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 179
Alfredsson over Iginla? Wake up bro.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 03:37 AM
  #12
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 9,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb63 View Post
Thornton can and has been legitimately mentioned in the same sentence as Gretzky and Lemieux. I think that should answer this question.
As in Thornton is not nearly as good as Lemieux or Gretzky? Since otherwise there is no reason to mention them.

If you don't mean the assist (back-2-back 90 assists?) which would be weird since he was nowhere near Gretzky/Lemieux level. It is just an arbitrary line which has nothing to do with either Gretzky or Lemieux.

For this poll.

1.Thornton
2.Iginla
3.Alfredsson
4.Elias

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:34 AM
  #13
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lol... Alfredsson was the main reason that line functioned the way it did.

Of all the players mentioned, at their peaks, Alfredsson is the best all-around player. An all-around player scoring 100 points is pretty ****ing amazing.

Thornton
Alfredsson
Iginla
Elias
The only one thats not "great" all around is Thornton. Elias is easily the best defensive forward of the group and still put up 96 pts. He is easily probably the most underrated forward in the last 2 decades.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:25 AM
  #14
Bure All Day
Registered User
 
Bure All Day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver Isl.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,071
vCash: 500
could have been a decent poll if it said better careers, but elias doesn't even belong in the same sentence with joe n iggy

Bure All Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:39 AM
  #15
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
The only one thats not "great" all around is Thornton. Elias is easily the best defensive forward of the group and still put up 96 pts. He is easily probably the most underrated forward in the last 2 decades.
96 points? Thornton had that many assists alone in one season, elias isn't on that level. Not that Thornton was a defensive liability at all during his prime either.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:01 AM
  #16
Mathieu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
Ellias
Iginla
Alfredsson
Elias

I don't see how you can put Elias over Alfredsson. In 05-06 Alfredsson was probably the best all around player in the NHL.

Mathieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:04 AM
  #17
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oulu
Posts: 9,017
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
Ellias
Iginla
Alfredsson
Elias

I don't see how you can put Elias over Alfredsson. In 05-06 Alfredsson was probably the best all around player in the NHL.
You mean Thornton not Elias at number 1, right?

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 06:50 AM
  #18
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
Mine as well.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 07:37 AM
  #19
Luuuongo
Crabs!
 
Luuuongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Voted Iggy by accident, wanted to vote for Joe.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 09:19 AM
  #20
TheUnseenHand
madest thou look
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,465
vCash: 500
Elias will never, ever get the recognition he deserves because of the team he played his entire career for. I'd be willing to bet that had he played in Ottawa and Alfie played in NJ, people would be wondering how you could ever put Alfredsson ahead of Elias.

I do agree that those two are 3 and 4 on this list, but IMO they are interchangeable. There is no obvious order for the two. That said:

Thornton
Iginla
Elias/Alfredsson (Being a Devils fan I put Elias' name first)

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:01 AM
  #21
OzzyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure All Day View Post
could have been a decent poll if it said better careers, but elias doesn't even belong in the same sentence with joe n iggy
Pretty much I wanted to see who people thought was better peak vs peak: Iginla or Thornton, and then wanted to see what people thought who was better at peak vs peak: Elias or Alfredsson. So I just threw them all in one thread.

OzzyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:14 AM
  #22
Intense Rage
Registered User
 
Intense Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Lol... Alfredsson was the main reason that line functioned the way it did.

Of all the players mentioned, at their peaks, Alfredsson is the best all-around player. An all-around player scoring 100 points is pretty ****ing amazing.

Thornton
Alfredsson
Iginla
Elias
Iginla's peak is better than Alfredsson's. Jose Theodore would not have a Hart if Calgary had made the playoffs that year.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:21 AM
  #23
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man
 
Yashintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: At The Bank
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 3,568
vCash: 500
Thornton
Iginla
Alfredsson
Elias


Though Patrik's last season has been sensational: Turned Sykora into a decent player, Top 10 NHL scoring against tough competition (1.4 QoC), all of this at 36.
So impressive but so underrated on HF.

Yashintangibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:35 AM
  #24
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
1. Thornton
2. Iginla
3. Alfredsson
4. Elias

That said, I'd rather have prime-Iginla on my team over prime-Thornton. But, offensively, Thornton definitely takes this.
Nailed it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
  #25
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
96 points? Thornton had that many assists alone in one season, elias isn't on that level. Not that Thornton was a defensive liability at all during his prime either.
I realize I didn't state it clearly in the post you quoted but earlier in the thread I acknowledged Thornton is a clear #1 with Iginla as a clear #2. I was talking to a poster attempting to convince people that Alfredsson is head over shoulders better then iginla and Elias, who seemingly always gets overlooked and underrated by everyone.


Last edited by PALE PWNR: 11-17-2012 at 11:04 AM.
PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.