HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alec Martinez

Old
11-17-2012, 04:46 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 500
Alec Martinez

Would any team be interested in Alec? 25 year old 6 foot 1 and 216 pound mobile defence man.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:53 AM
Hynh

Didn't he just get hurt?

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

He's a bottom pairing defenseman.

Plays a sound game with barely any big mistakes. Good and hard shot but not much upside. 3rd rounder at best.

You must be lucky to get a Martinez type of player with a midlevel pick. I would not be interested in values or whatsoever.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:34 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I would not be interested in values or whatsoever.
I think your lurking the wrong forum then :p

And yes he just ate puck

Old
11-17-2012, 09:37 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

What are you looking to get back?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:51 AM
zeus3007*

I'd like to have him, but wouldn't give up anything of value to get him.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hynh View Post
Didn't he just get hurt?
Yep. Will be out for a month at least.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Why would the Kings possibly want to trade him?

He is worth way more than anything you'd get back in a trade. Making the team worse voluntarily just to get a 3rd round pick is absurd

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:45 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Why would the Kings want to trade him? Very reliable puck-moving 3rd pairing dman.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

Oh lord. This is a 'value of' thread posted in a fantasy trade forum during a lockout of NHL hockey. The 'Kings' doubtfully want to trade Alec after a SC win where he was extremely solid while successfully managing to bring the whole team back in hopes of a duplicate run.
Though, try and picture this scenario. Their is this guy, bored during a lockout, typing on a phone, asking strangers what they think the value of Alec Martinez is. Then in this scenario picture yourself replying with a non complicated message, a logical return value of Martinez. Then visualise the post into existence in this here thread through the use of your fingers, computer and Internet connection.
Note: a value of thread Is NOT real life. Martinez won't get traded for a third

Old
11-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

He's more valuable to the Kings than to other teams, simply because others may not be as familiar with Martinez and what he is capable of. He's an unheralded player who flies under the radar due to the two flashier offensive defensemen who are ahead of him on the depth chart (Doughty and Voynov).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:09 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:

Plays a sound game with barely any big mistakes. Good and hard shot but not much upside. 3rd rounder at best.

You must be lucky to get a Martinez type of player with a midlevel pick. I would not be interested in values or whatsoever.
I disagree with the 3rd pick value. This defenseman is stuck behind drew and salva. He imo has the best join the rush mentality on the team. He would and still could be a 2nd pairing defense on alot of nhl teams. He is underrated on the kings. I wouldnt trade him for anything less then a mid second and a b type prospect However i wouldnt be surprized if he did get packaged with bernier for a 1st and topline winger prospect. The reason i see him getting moved is the kings have alot of defenseman coming and need a spot or two in the lineup to see if they can play at nhl level.

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'd prefer not to move him but I'd offer up a package of Martinez, Loktionov and Bernier to see what the interest would be like.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 08:22 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Martinez is a lot like Kyle Quincey a few years ago, when the Kings claimed him off waivers. Alone, he is probably worth around a third round pick, possibly a second to a team desperate for a bottom pairing puck mover.

Otherwise, he is the type of player who could definitely be part of a package for an upgrade. Given that Penner and Gagne's contracts end this year, they might want to try to get a 2nd line left wing.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:03 PM
DontgoZiggy

Quote:

I disagree with the "not much upside" assessment, He's been very good for the Kings and at the age of 25 is still young for a Dman. He still has the potential to be a 2nd pairing Dman. I thought he was doing well getting his shots through at a time when Doughty and Co were telegraphing theirs and getting blocked.

DontgoZiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
I'd love to have Martinez, mostly because I watched him play at Miami for his whole collegiate career. Would Kings fans trade him straight up for Downie?

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:29 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I'd love to have Martinez, mostly because I watched him play at Miami for his whole collegiate career. Would Kings fans trade him straight up for Downie?
Value wise its close but the kings would proberly say no. i dont think drownie would fit in the kings character. Our gm has this thing about the right fit.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
startainfection

isles would/should be with de haan taking a huge step back with his shoulder injury again

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:59 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
isles would/should be with de haan taking a huge step back with his shoulder injury again
Really?

Martinez is not bumping Hamonic, Streit,Vis or MacDonald from the top 4.

Donovan and Ness were expected to compete with De Haan for the #6 spot. One of them was expected to be pairing with Carkner. Do you see the isles looking for another 3rd pairing dman, another partner for Carkner instead of Donovan/Ness?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
OldGreatWestern

Why the hell would you want to trade Martinez? He is a perfect fit where he is. What are you getting back in value that is more important. Stop it.

OldGreatWestern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:34 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreatWestern View Post
Why the hell would you want to trade Martinez? He is a perfect fit where he is. What are you getting back in value that is more important. Stop it.
The reason is simply the kings have alot of defenseman looking to goto the next level similar to what slava did last year. Despite the shakey month the monarchs had ( the kings ahl team) there are serveral king defenseman (Hickey Muzzin Campbell Bodnarchuk David Kolomatis etc) all ready for a look of nhl duty. With alec gone they have a spot to get a look. The kings would be looking to get a number one pick in the draft this coming year. Not saying martinez alone would get it but adding him to either Andrei Loktionov or Jonathan Bernier they should be able to get one plus another young player ( hoping a scoring lw that can play next year)

Old
11-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
The reason is simply the kings have alot of defenseman looking to goto the next level similar to what slava did last year. Despite the shakey month the monarchs had ( the kings ahl team) there are serveral king defenseman (Hickey Muzzin Campbell Bodnarchuk David Kolomatis etc) all ready for a look of nhl duty. With alec gone they have a spot to get a look. The kings would be looking to get a number one pick in the draft this coming year. Not saying martinez alone would get it but adding him to either Andrei Loktionov or Jonathan Bernier they should be able to get one plus another young player ( hoping a scoring lw that can play next year)
I see a decent amount of Kings games every year. I can tell you that it's my opinion that Hickey and Bodnarchuk just aren't NHL caliber dmen. I like Muzzin the best of that bunch. I wouldn't move Martinez to make room for any of those guys.

And honestly, I don't think Bernier + Martinez gets you all that much more than Bernier on his own gets.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 01:50 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He's more valuable to the Kings than to other teams, simply because others may not be as familiar with Martinez and what he is capable of. He's an unheralded player who flies under the radar due to the two flashier offensive defensemen who are ahead of him on the depth chart (Doughty and Voynov).
This^, he's PROBABLY not going anywhere. However, if he is a victim of the numbers game, I can see Rangers interested. The question is what would be the price?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 02:01 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I see a decent amount of Kings games every year. I can tell you that it's my opinion that Hickey and Bodnarchuk just aren't NHL caliber dmen. I like Muzzin the best of that bunch. I wouldn't move Martinez to make room for any of those guys.

And honestly, I don't think Bernier + Martinez gets you all that much more than Bernier on his own gets.
I do value your opinion on the kings defense and i ll agree with muzzin proberly the best of them coming but untill they get a look in the nhl no one knows on how good they would be or not. There has been defenseman that something just clicks when they get into nhl action. My point being if they never get a game you will never know. Bodnarchuk right now is the best most consistant defenseman on the monarchs. He is the hitting defenseman that the kings lack ( theres some kings fans thinking we need this not me thou ) I ve watched him play this year and hes hitting players with good soild hits and playing soild defensive play.

I disagree with ur value on martinez. He is the kings most underrated defenseman. As i stated above he has the best instint on when to join the rush on the kings. He rarely makes mistakes on the defensive end He is also only 25 he will get better. He will develop into a 2nd pairing defenseman if giving the chance to play it. Right now hes stuck on the 3rd pairing due to slava and drew playing ahead of him not because he doesn't have the ability. I would rather see him playing the power play then slava. The was a while this year he was the only defenseman on the pp that was hitting the net consistently. If the kings payed a 2nd for brad richardson then martinez is easily worth that plus a b prospect on his own.

Old
11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I think you are confusing "ready for a look" with being an NHL regular. Just because the Kings have some defensemen in the pipeline, doesnt mean they are NHL worthy.

You must 'hope' somebody gets injured, so you can see how good somebody else is.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote