HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Latvia

Old
12-24-2012, 02:16 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville231 View Post
Where's girgensons ? Injured?

Karlis Ozolins any relation to Sandis Ozolins?
Rochester didnt let him go for wjcs.
No,no relation to Sandis Ozolins.The same as theres alot of forsbergs in sweden we got alot of people named Ozolins.

BalticWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:49 AM
connor macdavid
In the press box

vCash: 986
Let's go Latvia! Any word on whether or not Girgensons is playing? Also, can anyone either lend me or make me a nice Latvian avatar for the WJC? Please?
#TeamLATVIA

connor macdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:00 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
Let's go Latvia! Any word on whether or not Girgensons is playing? Also, can anyone either lend me or make me a nice Latvian avatar for the WJC? Please?
#TeamLATVIA
He wasn't released by Rochester.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:12 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonsOnIce96 View Post
#TeamLATVIA
Roberts Lipsbergs one,team Latvia wjcs
Attached Images
File Type: gif QyNpz (1).gif‎ (12.7 KB, 61 views)

Old
12-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Swedelicious

Surprised to see Edgars Klavins isn't on the team. Not the best skater perhaps, but a nice shot and size. Will be a good player for AIK if they can keep him.

Swedelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
GX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrangelife View Post
Well, we're about to find out, aren't we?
Also, not really. Oh, it will be a nightmare this WJC - for every unfortunate game (losses by one goal etc., etc.) we'll get hundreds of responses saying "if only we had girgensons..".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedelicious View Post
Surprised to see Edgars Klavins isn't on the team. Not the best skater perhaps, but a nice shot and size. Will be a good player for AIK if they can keep him.
Also the Latvian fans were quite surprised.

GX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:33 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX View Post
Also, not really. Oh, it will be a nightmare this WJC - for every unfortunate game (losses by one goal etc., etc.) we'll get hundreds of responses saying "if only we had girgensons..".
That's exactly what the fans should be saying.

Although I believe that he should have to honour his contract with Buffalo/Rochester, Girgensons should have been made available to represent his country in this tournament. He would be a massive addition to this team and represent a two-way ability that Latvia has never before had at the WJC. He may not be the best goal scorer out there (although I'm sure he'd have put up 4-5 points and created lots of opportunities for his teammates), but his size, hustle, leadership, grit and strength at both ends of the ice will be sorely missed by this group. He is exactly the type of player that could be the difference between a win and a close loss for this team. Latvia may have some decent offensive weapons, but a complimentary player like Girgensons would free up a lot of room in the offensive zone and stop quite a few scoring chances in his own end. His style of play would be extremely beneficial and it's sad for Latvia that he isn't available to play.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:42 PM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
He would be a massive addition to this team and represent a two-way ability that Latvia has never before had at the WJC.
How about the last year? Anyway, by no means, I'm saying he wouldn't matter, but knowing how poor probably will be our team play 5 on 5 (especially going forward), we are going to once again rely more or less on individual performances from our most potent forwards. Our team wouldn't reallybe able to use the assets Girgensons is offering, for example, if we generate 0.5 one-timers from our D per game, there's no use of the traffic/attention Zemgus creates in front of the net. That said, I'd feel much better if Zemgus would start every of our countless PK's we'll face.

The bottom line, he isn't as irreplaceable NA based posters would think.

ozo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:44 PM
ozo

This surely deserves a new post. DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!

Old
12-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Xokkeu

Girgensons isn't going to help Latvia beat Finland or Sweden.

But in the relegation round, where it almost comes down to a one game playoff between Germany and Latvia, I'm sure that an elite talent like Girgensons would make a significant difference.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:10 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post

But in the relegation round, where it almost comes down to a one game playoff between Germany and Latvia, I'm sure that an elite talent like Girgensons would make a significant difference.
Please read ozos post,he explained it perfectly how girgensons is important,but not as important as NA fans make him out to be

Old
12-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Please read ozos post,he explained it perfectly how girgensons is important,but not as important as NA fans make him out to be
I read his post, that's why I responded to it.

Old
12-25-2012, 02:22 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I read his post, that's why I responded to it.
Again,skilled and fast forwards like Bluegers,Lipsbergs and Bukarts are going to help us beat germany,not Girgensons,yeah sure he would`ve helped,but still i take these guys over girgensons.

Old
12-25-2012, 02:46 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Again,skilled and fast forwards like Bluegers,Lipsbergs and Bukarts are going to help us beat germany,not Girgensons,yeah sure he would`ve helped,but still i take these guys over girgensons.
They are going help try and beat Germany. Girgensons can't go skate out on his own play 60 minutes and win the game. For a team like Latvia however, every player counts. Anyway, I'm not here to bash a player down your throats. If you guys don't want him on your team that's fine by me.

Old
12-25-2012, 02:53 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
They are going help try and beat Germany. Girgensons can't go skate out on his own play 60 minutes and win the game. For a team like Latvia however, every player counts. Anyway, I'm not here to bash a player down your throats. If you guys don't want him on your team that's fine by me.
Again,reading comprehension,just not there

Old
12-25-2012, 03:01 AM
Xokkeu

[not worth it

Last edited by Xokkeu: 12-25-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old
12-25-2012, 03:39 AM
DrStrangelife

Quote:
I can't believe this arrogant Latvian attitude.
Girgensons would clearly be our top talent in this WJC if he were to show up. Imagine the contrast between AHL and U20?!? Imagine the confidence Girgs would have, that he can suddenly play against his own age players. He would be a physical force on the ice. Not to mention his leadership abilities!!
Nobody on our roster has an experience even close to Girgensons.

DrStrangelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:03 AM
eluu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
This surely deserves a new post. DROP THE PUCK ALREADY!
yup! GO LATVIA !!!!!!!!!!

eluu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:33 AM
ozo

Quote:

Truth be told, when it came down to a one game playoff between Denmark and Latvia, unfortunately, an elite talent like Girgensons didn't make a significant difference last year. What I really mean is, flashy forwards, such as Bjorkstrand's for Danes, are a lot more influential in the bottom of the barrel encounters. Xokkeu, did you manage to watch the relegation playoff last year? Did you count how many goal scoring opportunities those Danish brothers manufactured? Enough, to say we were pretty lucky to be in the Elite this year, that's how much.

Still make no mistake, Zemgus could of been one of the most useful players in a tournament as a whole (probably by doing the little things you'll claim I don't even notice). Our tournament faith even before the Zemgus non-release, will be in the hands of Jevpalovs, Lipsbergs and co, because if they don't show up (presumably against Germany) we'll go down even with Zemgus as our skipper.

Old
12-25-2012, 08:13 AM
BalticWarrior

It`s sad how small publicity WJCS get in Latvian media,one day away from start of the tourney and it`s not mentioned ANYWHERE.

Old
12-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Truth be told, when it came down to a one game playoff between Denmark and Latvia, unfortunately, an elite talent like Girgensons didn't make a significant difference last year. What I really mean is, flashy forwards, such as Bjorkstrand's for Danes, are a lot more influential in the bottom of the barrel encounters. Xokkeu, did you manage to watch the relegation playoff last year? Did you count how many goal scoring opportunities those Danish brothers manufactured? Enough, to say we were pretty lucky to be in the Elite this year, that's how much.

Still make no mistake, Zemgus could of been one of the most useful players in a tournament as a whole (probably by doing the little things you'll claim I don't even notice). Our tournament faith even before the Zemgus non-release, will be in the hands of Jevpalovs, Lipsbergs and co, because if they don't show up (presumably against Germany) we'll go down even with Zemgus as our skipper.
Uhhh yeah I have read your posts. I'm not that dumb to think that.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:45 AM
BalticWarrior

Well predictable loss oh well we have to get ready for the game against Swiss.