HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

What is going on in the AHL???

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2005, 12:32 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
What is going on in the AHL???

J-Bo hasn't been playing like the prospect everyone thought he would be (but there is good argument he'll bloom late). The Pens coach ripped his team a new one. Some of the Wild prospects are playing sloppy and they don't care.

What's going on in the AHL? Why do some of these prospects don't play like they should be?

Old
02-10-2005, 12:34 AM
sabrefan27

The Amerks are tearing it up, thats whats going on.

Old
02-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Jacob

I don't know if the entire Penguins team belongs in the same group as Bouwmeester and a few Wild prospects do.

Old
02-10-2005, 12:56 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Well...Taken in account of what the Pens coach was saying...I don't know...Is he on the money or isn't he?

Old
02-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Jacob

He was only speaking of the month of January.

Old
02-10-2005, 01:16 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Ah, I thought he was speaking about the team in general...

Old
02-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Jacob

Right, they sucked in January.

Old
02-10-2005, 01:54 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
J-Bo hasn't been playing like the prospect everyone thought he would be (but there is good argument he'll bloom late). The Pens coach ripped his team a new one. Some of the Wild prospects are playing sloppy and they don't care.

What's going on in the AHL? Why do some of these prospects don't play like they should be?
What's going on in the AHL? Probably the same thing that happens in every league, every year. There are no certainties in sport.

Players have down years, or they are in decline or progress. Happens to a lot of players and contrary to popular belief, it happens to players of all age.

NHL:Why did was Modano lifeless last season for long stretches?
NHL:Where the hell did Marty St.Louis come from to get these awards?
NCAA: Why does AJ Thelen look like a guy who is afraid to shoot this year? He was generating offense last year aplenty and is not on the radar this year. He doesn't make any thing happen, except make me want to throw up when I see him waste his time skating around. On the reverse side, Wes O'Neill was underwhelming last season and is much better this year.

It could be the change of environment or not. Pineault moved from the NCAA to the CHL and looks better to me.

Now, also keep in mind it is tough to properly evaluate players we don't see. The points are only one element of the story. But there's plenty of interesting STATISTICAL stuff happening all over the place every year, not just the AHL:

This year, Kovalchuk has been so-so in Russia and is outscored by teammate Alexei Morozov. Pavel Rosa was on fire. Pavel Datsyuk seems underwhelming.

In Davos, Switzerland, Josef Marha is close in points to his teammate, a guy by the name of Rick Nash.

Have you ever heard of Michal Mikeska? Who the **** is this? I sure don't know. I know he plays on the same team as Milan Hejduk and is the same age. Last I checked, Hejduk has 22 goals and 44 points in 42 games. And Milan ****ing Mikeska has 20 goals, 53 points in 44 games. What does it mean? I don't really know, because I don't see them play. All I know is Mikeska is the leading scorer of his team by a nice margin, and his teammates include guys like Hejduk, Bulis and Hemsky.

Maybe they aren't playing well enough, maybe the guy is better than them this year. Or maybe the stats are not representative of the performance on ice.

Ryan Malone has been travelling in Europe and it didn't work well. And he was in the NHL last year.

For each Bouwmeester who came from the NHL and has underwhelming stats in the AHL, there is a Spezza racking up the points.

Maybe their team sucks. Maybe the coach doesn't like them. Maybe they just suck this year. Maybe they don't suck but nothing goes in. Sheer bad luck. There's probably a different reason for each player.

It's the same every year, in every league all over the world. It's not even exclusive to hockey. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the AHL right now. It's a very competitive environment. There are losers and winners every year. Barring an exclusive club of legends, most players will have ups and downs for various reasons. Some where they have valid excuses and some where they don't have any.

AHL is no different, except I think too many people expected any guy who has proven himself in the NHL to walk all over the competition automatically. It doesn't work this way. Never did.

Old
02-10-2005, 02:11 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Great response, Vlad...as always...

I'll think of a response when I'm fully awake...

Closed Thread