HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Mattias Tedenby

Old
01-28-2013, 02:29 PM
JK3
ARMY OF PANDOLFOS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Tedenby has gotten breaks, and special treatment others haven't. It's like he's ENTITLED. There I said it. Flame me if you want.
Similar to the Palmieri situation where he was gifted a spot on the top line right out of camp and did nothing with it.

JK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
In this thread: People being as critical of Tedenby as me finally.
Can wait for the Volchenkov 2012-13 thread

Seriously, let's face it, when you can't crack the top #6 on a team like Albany's been dressing the past 2 years... you aren't cracking the Devils roster anytime soon.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

To be fair Tedenby was on what was supposed to be a shutdown line with Gionta towards the end of their time in the AHL. He did put up some points despite the team being shutout or held to 1 goal regularly early on. Though until the last week he was behind Josefson, Butler, and a few others. He was putting up only as many points as Larsson for a while there, and he had a lower PPG than Joe Whitney until that last weekend.

Deep down I really believe Lou said to Pete ''Get him on the opening night roster''.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
My problem with Tedenby is that he isn't putting up numbers in the AHL. He needs to be sent down and given a lot of ice time to figure his **** out.

A guy like Henrique - not very flashy - but the guy puts up numbers consistently at any level. Tedenby hasn't really put up impressive numbers at any level.
...except in the AHL this season, where Tedenby had a better PPG playing with worse linemates and less ice time. Henrique's a much smaller sample size, but what's HF without cherry picking some stats here and there?

In the whole scheme of things, I really don't mean to defend Tedenby to the point of absurdity. I'm sure it looks like it sometimes, but I just feel like he never got a chance to gel and play like he did with Lemaire. And what really grinds my gears most is that if Deboer doesn't even trust him to play in third periods, why did he make the team at all? Should have left him in the AHL where he was finally starting to score at the pace he should.

But I guess at this point, the Teddy Train has set sail (which is not what trains do). He clearly isn't what Deboer is looking for and I understand that. Now I'm just really curious who plays tomorrow.

Eggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
...except in the AHL this season, where Tedenby had a better PPG playing with worse linemates and less ice time. Henrique's a much smaller sample size, but what's HF without cherry picking some stats here and there?

In the whole scheme of things, I really don't mean to defend Tedenby to the point of absurdity. I'm sure it looks like it sometimes, but I just feel like he never got a chance to gel and play like he did with Lemaire. And what really grinds my gears most is that if Deboer doesn't even trust him to play in third periods, why did he make the team at all? Should have left him in the AHL where he was finally starting to score at the pace he should.

But I guess at this point, the Teddy Train has set sail (which is not what trains do). He clearly isn't what Deboer is looking for and I understand that. Now I'm just really curious who plays tomorrow.
I mean historically. Look at their pasts, year to year.

Old
Eggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Pretty sure the Devils wrote off Matt Corrente. They definitely wrote off Bergfors.
I don't think so. He got chances in camp, he even made the team under Maclean. He hasn't put together a steady string of games since then. He got injured that season punching a dude and he hasn't been healthy since. He probably would have gotten some looks but he was never available for more than a month at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK3 View Post
Similar to the Palmieri situation where he was gifted a spot on the top line right out of camp and did nothing with it.
And not only that, he kept that spot for like 6 or 7 games while doing absolutely nothing with it. He got those two fluke goals against Boston, sucked it up the game after, and got bumped down a line or 3.

Old
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:

Tedenby hasn't gotten a fair shake cause he hasn't proved to our coaching staff that he can stay on one of our top two lines, period.

This isn't a training camp and DeBoer isn't throwing out favours left and right just to please one of his players. He's there to rack up "W's" and if it means dressing Teddy with Cam and some other turd so he has the best shot at winning a game, he'll do just that. If he does hand out favours, he tells the 19 other players that he's "soft" and that's the last thing you want as a coach. You earn your icetime and if you do happen to be among the top #6, you better make sure to leave a impression or else you'll be just another rookie passing by and sent down to the minors... wich is exactly what Tedenby's going threw these past couple of years.

Old
01-28-2013, 02:59 PM
apice3*

The notion that Lou and Pete are doing things for Tedenby because he's a 1st rounder is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board. There is not a chance in hell that Lou is going to jeopardize the team on behalf of his pride, in an attempt to prove his ability to draft players. Not a chance.

Look at our 1st rounders since 1998:
  • Gomez is was a Calder winner and rightfully returned to the team the following year.
  • Ahonen never played a game in the NHL.
  • Hale bounced between the NHL and AHL his entire stay here, only playing more than 45 games for NJ once.
  • Foster never played a game in the NHL.
  • Parise played 2 years in the NCAA, and a year in Albany before making his debut and earning his chance to return.
  • Zajac played 2 years in the NCAA and stuck with the NHL team from his first year on, based on merit
  • Bergfors spent 4 years in the AHL and in his one season to prove himself, he was traded because of his effort.
  • Corrente has bounced between juniors, the AHL, and NHL since the day he was drafted
  • Josefson also bounced between the AHL and NHL before finally earning the right to stay here

Tedenby has gotten the same treatment every single first rounder this team has drafted has received. That's how this team operates. He's not being given bonus chances because he's a first rounder and he's not being given up on since he hasn't lived up to the first round hype. He's being given chances because we think he can handle it and when he proves he can't, he goes to the minors. Like every other first rounder we've drafted. Lke every other PLAYER we've had on the roster.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Eggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
I mean historically. Look at their pasts, year to year.
Yeah I was just being a jerk, sorry. Never in a million years would I have expected Tedenby to outperform or outproduce Henrique this season, or probably any season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Tedenby hasn't gotten a fair shake cause he hasn't proved to our coaching staff that he can stay on one of our top two lines, period.

This isn't a training camp and DeBoer isn't throwing out favours left and right just to please one of his players. He's there to rack up "W's" and if it means dressing Teddy with Cam and some other turd so he has the best shot at winning a game, he'll do just that. If he does hand out favours, he tells the 19 other players that he's "soft" and that's the last thing you want as a coach. You earn your icetime and if you do happen to be among the top #6, you better make sure to leave a impression or else you'll be just another rookie passing by and sent down to the minors... wich is exactly what Tedenby's going threw these past couple of years.
So you admit that it was unfair?

I agree he hasn't proved anything. I'm just saying that, while Bleedred says that he feels Tedenby was entitled, I feel the opposite. Ol' Napalm got 3 weeks on the top line and Tedenby got 8 minutes. But Palmieri had the potential to be the player Deboer really wanted, so he got an extended chance to stick. I'm fine with it, in the end. One thing we can all agree on is that results are the final goal and Tedenby didn't hold up to his end of the deal. I just want people to understand that there is credibility on both sides of the Tedenby argument.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:04 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
This isn't a training camp and DeBoer isn't throwing out favours left and right just to please one of his players. He's there to rack up "W's" and if it means dressing Teddy with Cam and some other turd so he has the best shot at winning a game, he'll do just that. .
Pretty much.
If the Devils had better depth, they'd be able to experiment more fluidly with Tedenby. But with a shortened season and depleted depth, it's more like "throw **** at the wall and see what sticks"

The Devils have been forced to defend tight leads, preserve shutouts and come back from behind. Those aren't times to be patient.
And neither was the rocky start to last season, either.

Quote:
Tedenby has gotten the same treatment every single first rounder this team has drafted has received. That's how this team operates. He's not being given bonus chances because he's a first rounder and he's not being given up on since he hasn't lived up to the first round hype. He's being given chances because we think he can handle it and when he proves he can't, he goes to the minors. Like every other first rounder we've drafted. Lke every other PLAYER we've had on the roster.
On top of that, who are we even giving Tedenby special treatment over? Whitney? Sestito?
Tedenby had the highest upside of everyone in Albany, it's not like we were letting the second coming of Elias toil about in the minors while Tedenby was given his fair shake.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
CerebralGenesis

I wonder what the success rates for other teams in the first round is compared to that list above.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
The notion that Lou and Pete are doing things for Tedenby because he's a 1st rounder is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this board. There is not a chance in hell that Lou is going to jeopardize the team on behalf of his pride, in an attempt to prove his ability to draft players. Not a chance.

Look at our 1st rounders since 1998:
  • Gomez is was a Calder winner and rightfully returned to the team the following year.
  • Ahonen never played a game in the NHL.
  • Hale bounced between the NHL and AHL his entire stay here, only playing more than 45 games for NJ once.
  • Foster never played a game in the NHL.
  • Parise played 2 years in the NCAA, and a year in Albany before making his debut and earning his chance to return.
  • Zajac played 2 years in the NCAA and stuck with the NHL team from his first year on, based on merit
  • Bergfors spent 4 years in the AHL and in his one season to prove himself, he was traded because of his effort.
  • Corrente has bounced between juniors, the AHL, and NHL since the day he was drafted
  • Josefson also bounced between the AHL and NHL before finally earning the right to stay here

Is that a response to me? If it is, you have completely misunderstood. There is no pride involved or "because he is a first rounder". All I'm saying is this: they have not given up on him and they shouldn't. He is an asset that needs nurturing. I might work or it might not.

VaxjoDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:12 PM
apice3*

It wasn't a response to anyone in particular. Just anyone who thinks that Tedenby is being given special or unfair treatment is being ridiculous. He's being treated like every other player, but unlike other players, he's doing nothing with his chances.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 03:15 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Is that a response to me? If it is, you have completely misunderstood. There is no pride involved or "because he is a first rounder". All I'm saying is this: they have not given up on him and they shouldn't. He is an asset that needs nurturing. I might work or it might not.
Giving up on someone seems like the wrong term to justify a asset that's on your roster. I'd say something like "Come to the conclussion that it's just not going to happen". He might pan out elsewhere and if that's the case, I'll be happy for the little Swede, but I just don't see it being here.

I think Lou and mostly DeBoer have come to the conclussion that Tedenby isn't going to work out here and if it wasn't for the lack of depth up front, we would've seen someone else then #21 at the start of the 2012-13 campaign but he's all we have, so we went with our only option.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

If Tedenby really did outplay Butler in camp then Butler either was pathetic, or Tedenby regressed outrageously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post

On top of that, who are we even giving Tedenby special treatment over? Whitney? Sestito?
Tedenby had the highest upside of everyone in Albany
How about Butler? He outplayed Tedenby in Albany from late November up until the second to last weekend. Either he was pathetic in camp, or Tedenby regressed in the last week unbelievably.

Old
01-28-2013, 03:57 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
If Tedenby really did outplay Butler in camp then Butler either was pathetic, or Tedenby regressed outrageously.
Both players aren't NHL material IMO and there's a reason Butler was waiver to begin with. Racking pts in the AHL is one thing, being able to play at the pace of the NHL is another and like we've seen with Tedenby, scoring isn't the only thing coaches and upper management want to see out of rookies/AHL players.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

So no one things that it's a possibility that the organization would give up on Butler before Tedenby? This is a business. I'm not saying they'll go against what it takes to win. If they did then Tedenby would still be with the NHL team. I think this organization has been holding out hope for Tedenby. I'm not mad he got another chance, but I don't understand how the **** a player makes the teams opening night roster, and is done within a week.

Maybe given up wasn't the right word for Butler, because we don't know if they have given up on Butler yet. You know what I mean though.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Eggers

Quote:
So no one things that it's a possibility that the organization would give up on Butler before Tedenby? This is a business. I'm not saying they'll go against what it takes to win. If they did then Tedenby would still be with the NHL team. I think this organization has been holding out hope for Tedenby. I'm not mad he got another chance, but I don't understand how the **** a player makes the teams opening night roster, and is done within a week.

Maybe given up wasn't the right word for Butler, because we don't know if they have given up on Butler yet. You know what I mean though.
Happened to Henrique last year, no? It was more than 4 games I think, but it also wasn't a shortened season.

All I know is that Butler looked absolutely lost in both ends of the ice in that scrimmage during camp. Plus, it was only a week long. It's probably hard to justify an unknown (that is learning a completely new system) with that little time. Tedenby really didn't look that bad in camp and game 1, it just went downhill after that.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Quote:
Happened to Henrique last year, no? It was more than 4 games I think, but it also wasn't a shortened season.

All I know is that Butler looked absolutely lost in both ends of the ice in that scrimmage during camp. Plus, it was only a week long. It's probably hard to justify an unknown (that is learning a completely new system) with that little time. Tedenby really didn't look that bad in camp and game 1, it just went downhill after that.
To be fair I agree that he did look better in the scrimmage, and he really didn't look bad in game 1. I even said I would be all for giving him one more shot with Clarkson, and Patty cause that's where he looked the best.

I've been pretty adamant though my feeling aside, that he will not make it with the Devils. It seems most of us agree on that no matter what they think the problem is. The players, the coaches. Even if it is the coaches fault. Only being given 9 minutes a game does make me believe he was given a vote of no confidence by the coaches.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:32 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

Quote:
Yeah I was just being a jerk, sorry. Never in a million years would I have expected Tedenby to outperform or outproduce Henrique this season, or probably any season.

So you admit that it was unfair?

I agree he hasn't proved anything. I'm just saying that, while Bleedred says that he feels Tedenby was entitled, I feel the opposite. Ol' Napalm got 3 weeks on the top line and Tedenby got 8 minutes. But Palmieri had the potential to be the player Deboer really wanted, so he got an extended chance to stick. I'm fine with it, in the end. One thing we can all agree on is that results are the final goal and Tedenby didn't hold up to his end of the deal. I just want people to understand that there is credibility on both sides of the Tedenby argument.
Pretty much agree with all of this.

Finally getting a shot at the top 6 under Deboer but being limited to 8 minutes per game with sporadic shifts is not a fair shot in my mind.

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:39 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Pretty much agree with all of this.

Finally getting a shot at the top 6 under Deboer but being limited to 8 minutes per game with sporadic shifts is not a fair shot in my mind.
When you're at the NHL level, chances aren't given to "prospects". You have to make your chances and earn your spot.

Look at what Galchenyuk and Gallagher did to us yesterday and compare that with Tedenby's performance. Teddy got a couple of shifts with the big line and outside of getting wallpapered by Bouillon, he was no where to be seen.

Both kids for the Habs played real well and depsite being on a 3rd line, showed wayyyyyy more then Tedenby and that's the main reason why he got bumped from the top line and bumped from the 4th line all the way to Albany.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:40 PM
billingtons ghost

Geez,the guy hasn't exactly been a train wreck. If he scores on that one breakaway we would be claiming he's the next Henrique. He's made some nice passes and he's worked hard.

Lou just said he needs to calm down and find his game.

JJ has looked atrocious at times, getting caught on breakaways and puttng ridiculously weak shots on net- but the guy's game is obviously in the process of making a jump.

Give the kid anothr year or two.

billingtons ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Josefson's offense is no better than Tedenby's right now. Make no mistake about that. Though he's good defensively, actually great, but right now the brutal turnover is in everybody's head. Great on the PK, and a decent faceoff guy.

Tedenby on that breakaway, and missing it up over the net was typical of him last year too. Perhaps it was the turning point. Maybe if he scores there he gets some confidence, and starts scoring some more.

Old
01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
hlaverty06

I can't help but feel like this is the last time we will see Teddy with the big club

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Bleedred
Ride the Schneid!

Think of it this way. There's no way even if he had a great season that he was getting a one way contract next year. Maybe if we had an 82 game season, but not in a 48 game season.