HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mattias Tedenby

Old
01-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Josefson's offense is no better than Tedenby's right now. Make no mistake about that. Though he's good defensively, actually great, but right now the brutal turnover is in everybody's head. Great on the PK, and a decent faceoff guy.

Tedenby on that breakaway, and missing it up over the net was typical of him last year too. Perhaps it was the turning point. Maybe if he scores there he gets some confidence, and starts scoring some more.
Maybe, but you know it really starts with him doing more of the little things if he wants ice time. Not looking like a lost puppy in the defensive zone, being tougher on the puck, and battling harder on the boards. That is the stuff Pete likes, and if he can't show some improvement there then he will continue to ride the pine before being shipped back to Albany.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Maybe, but you know it really starts with him doing more of the little things if he wants ice time. Not looking like a lost puppy in the defensive zone, being tougher on the puck, and battling harder on the boards. That is the stuff Pete likes, and if he can't show some improvement there then he will continue to ride the pine before being shipped back to Albany.
He's already been shipped back to Albany. Get with it Eddy!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:25 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
Josefson's offense is no better than Tedenby's right now. Make no mistake about that. Though he's good defensively, actually great, but right now the brutal turnover is in everybody's head. Great on the PK, and a decent faceoff guy.

Tedenby on that breakaway, and missing it up over the net was typical of him last year too. Perhaps it was the turning point. Maybe if he scores there he gets some confidence, and starts scoring some more.
Jojo's making good plays though. He's moving, he's carrying the puck, he's getting in good positions, and he's setting up other people even if he isn't scoring himself. His pass to Lil' Gio was glorious. It's only a matter of time before those one timers are on target and the rebounds start ending up in the net.

Other than his breakaway against the Fishermen I haven't really noticed Teddy at all.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Jojo's making good plays though. He's moving, he's carrying the puck, he's getting in good positions, and he's setting up other people even if he isn't scoring himself. His pass to Lil' Gio was glorious. It's only a matter of time before those one timers are on target and the rebounds start ending up in the net.

Other than his breakaway against the Fishermen I haven't really noticed Teddy at all.
I'm fairly high on Josefson. Just wanted to point out that a player like him can afford to not be a point machine. Tedenby cannot make up for his shortcomings.

Old
01-28-2013, 06:46 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Quote:
I'm fairly high on Josefson. Just wanted to point out that a player like him can afford to not be a point machine. Tedenby cannot make up for his shortcomings.
Ahhh, I misunderstood. Agreed though.

The only other thing Teddy provides is that he draws penalties like crazy, but that's not enough to warrant a roster spot IMO.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Ahhh, I misunderstood. Agreed though.

The only other thing Teddy provides is that he draws penalties like crazy, but that's not enough to warrant a roster spot IMO.
I've been saying since last year I think Tedenby will be a bust at least as far as the Devils go. The breakaway and hitting the glass against the Isles, that happened plenty last year when he was up. Happened in the AHL too.

However I've been wrong too, so I figured I'd give Tedenby one more chance. In the Summer of 2011 I wondered why the hell Colin White was bought out, and wanted Salvador to GTFO. After a terrific season I wanted Bryce back (Would have been happier at a million less per year). Then it turned out Colin White was sometimes a 7th defenseman for the Sharks, and his career looks to be over. I'll admit when I'm wrong. Tedenby I didn't see sticking. It's not because he's a lazy player. He's just a stupid player.

Old
01-28-2013, 08:17 PM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
Still try not to think that we took him over Jersey boy Carlson.
Carlson has been absolutely awful the past 2 years anyway. He'd be sitting in the AHL.

KidRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Carlson has been absolutely awful the past 2 years anyway. He'd be sitting in the AHL.
It's impossible to say how we would have developed Carlson. He might be a superstar #1, or a complete bust. We can't know.

It's hilarious to me that people are still harping on this four and a half years later.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
It's impossible to say how we would have developed Carlson. He might be a superstar #1, or a complete bust. We can't know.

It's hilarious to me that people are still harping on this four and a half years later.
I think the fact that he was/is a Jersey boy adds to it.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I don't care about Carlson anymore. I just wanted Tedenbust gone, and I got my wish.

Old
01-28-2013, 09:36 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Giving up on someone seems like the wrong term to justify a asset that's on your roster. I'd say something like "Come to the conclussion that it's just not going to happen". He might pan out elsewhere and if that's the case, I'll be happy for the little Swede, but I just don't see it being here.

I think Lou and mostly DeBoer have come to the conclussion that Tedenby isn't going to work out here and if it wasn't for the lack of depth up front, we would've seen someone else then #21 at the start of the 2012-13 campaign but he's all we have, so we went with our only option.
But what does that entail? Cutting him? Don't think a trade would bring back much, thus we should continue to find a way to make him a productive player. I think that is the point that is trying to be made.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Mgd31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
Yea I've been saying this too. He's a mess defensively.

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
But what does that entail? Cutting him? Don't think a trade would bring back much, thus we should continue to find a way to make him a productive player. I think that is the point that is trying to be made.
How much longer do we continue? And why continue when it's not working? Put the energy into other players like Matteau, or someone like Josefson who's already cutting it in the league. Put it into Larsson for gods sake! Let's just go after new meat already.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I think the fact that he was/is a Jersey boy adds to it.
Bingo. Nobody would give two ***** about Carlson if it wasn't for the Jersey factor.

Besides, just because someone doesn't work out doesn't mean it was a bad pick. Tedenby was a fine pick given his skillset and position in the draft, it just hasn't happened. He never developed an offensive game, and he's never really taken to the defensive aspects. He's a good kid, he tries but it just ain't happening here.

Bad picks are just ones that make no sense (like all our first-round goalies in the late '90's). Or dopey 'risks' like Corrente.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I'm over Carlson, but why do some people act like we have to continue pushing Tedenby? Just wash your hands. Some people make out like he was a pick we got from winning a lottery.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
The most frustrating part of Tedenby is that we know he can produce. He proved he could in the 2010-2011 season.

He looks lost out there. Hes playing terrible. The worst is that we know he can play much better

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:33 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

So what happens if we bring him up next year? He won't be exempt from waivers will he?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
The most frustrating part of Tedenby is that we know he can produce. He proved he could in the 2010-2011 season.

He looks lost out there. Hes playing terrible. The worst is that we know he can play much better
How did he prove it? He had 22 points in 58 games while playing fairly regular shifts over the second half. This is another HF myth, that he somehow proved he can play consistently because he had a couple of big moments in the second half.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...vLYF?year=2010

Where was the sustained top-six production?

Old
01-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
How did he prove it? He had 22 points in 58 games while playing fairly regular shifts over the second half. This is another HF myth, that he somehow proved he can play consistently because he had a couple of big moments in the second half.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...vLYF?year=2010

Where was the sustained top-six production?
Never said top 6 production. I said he could atleast produce at NHL Level. On pace for around 30 points in a full 82 game season seems like he can produce in the NHL

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:41 PM
Beetlebum*

Teddy will be fine.

Devil Swede had was spot on you can't expect a player to get comfortable when he is being shuffled up and down the line up. Let him go back to Albany and recharge he will come back and perform. 10 game stretches don't produce a cup and 5 games this year don't damn a player to the scrap heap.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:42 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Never said top 6 production. I said he could atleast produce at NHL Level. On pace for around 30 points in a full 82 game season seems like he can produce in the NHL
30 points in the NHL is not producing at anything higher than a third-line level at best. Problem is Tedenby doesn't have any other third-line skills (backchecking, physical play, etc). He needs to be good enough offensively to be a top six to play in the NHL because he never had - and never will have - the attributes to be a grinder or role player.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:43 PM
Beetlebum*

Oh and the Carlson obsession is nearly as bad as the hard on some of you had for the Blackhawks assistant coach.

Old
01-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
Teddy will be fine.

Devil Swede had was spot on you can't expect a player to get comfortable when he is being shuffled up and down the line up. Let him go back to Albany and recharge he will come back and perform. 10 game stretches don't produce a cup and 5 games this year don't damn a player to the scrap heap.
How about 29 points in 105 NHL games?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Beetlebum*

Quote:
How about 29 points in 105 NHL games?
How many of those games was he glued to the bench?

Old
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
How many of those games was he glued to the bench?
Not as many as you think. Quit making excuses for this player. I'm not believing anymore, and it seems most fans aren't either. He made his own bed. Can you say he looked good for the time he got after game 1 of this year?

Regardless Pete has no faith on him. We can all agree on this, and if he makes it in the NHL it likely isn't gonna be in Jersey.