HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mattias Tedenby

Old
01-23-2013, 05:46 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He has gotten better about it. His positional defence is still not up to par, he sometimes goes puck chasing in the defensive zone. But his backchecking has gotten good and consistent, and he has been backing up defenceman pinches like he should. It's unfair to say that there has been no improvement.
It's not now, and wasn't really in the past IMO, about his play in the offensive or neutral zones. His play there was acceptable. Backchecking and backing up the D men was never a real big issue IMO, though admittedly he has gotten better at the latter.

With Mattias it's about his play in the D zone. Once the puck is there where to go, who to cover, what to do with and without the puck. He is just so lost back there and that's where I see little to no improvement.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
xdl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Kovalchuk wouldn't be able to put up 40 points in a regular season playing 5 minutes a game for crying out loud. This guy hasn't gotten consistent top 6 minutes under Deboer EVER. That is a fact. He did fine when Lemaire actually have him a fair shot.

Dumb mistake? 1 play by a young player that happens dozens of times in a season.

EDIT: You recall 2 nice defensive plays, and the nice drop off in the offensive zone (can't ignore it). So 3 memorable good plays in 6 minutes. That's 3 more than Elias had all game. You have to let a guy get in a groove. Anyone that has ever played hockey can't possibly disagree with what I'm saying.
If that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard, I wish I had your life. The bottom line is that the kid is HORRENDOUS on defense and always has been.

And for the record, I didn't say I wouldn't play him, or play him for only 5 minutes. However, he needs to earn his ice time, and last night the only play he made was incredibly awful, and he got benched for it.

I said it once, and I'll say it again, if he isn't a 40+ point player, he isn't an NHL player. He isn't good enough to ignore his shortcomings unless he is tallying points. Saying anything else is sheer ignorance.

xdl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
If that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard, I wish I had your life. The bottom line is that the kid is HORRENDOUS on defense and always has been.

And for the record, I didn't say I wouldn't play him, or play him for only 5 minutes. However, he needs to earn his ice time, and last night the only play he made was incredibly awful, and he got benched for it.

I said it once, and I'll say it again, if he isn't a 40+ point player, he isn't an NHL player. He isn't good enough to ignore his shortcomings unless he is tallying points. Saying anything else is sheer ignorance.
Have to agree. At this point it seems like the kid Matteau has a better grasp of Devils hockey.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Richer's Ghost
Sidebars suck

vCash: 425
Is Tedenby suddenly a different player? No. Did he impress me with what he has done over his previous blunders? Yes. However I don't think he will ever manage to change his game enough to conform to the expectations of Devils hockey. With his size he has to play a risky style to create offense and exploit his offensive skills. He's not a Gionta that has that straight up and down 2-way play with pure speed and a shot along with physicality beyond his size.

Upping his trade value nonetheless. Package deal + defenseman for a 2nd line winger coming back. That's my upside for him right now.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
I thought he played well on Saturday

he wasn't great yesterday but I don't see the reason to bench him for half the game

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:41 AM
devs4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Upping his trade value nonetheless. Package deal + defenseman for a 2nd line winger coming back. That's my upside for him right now.
Yeah, I agree. I could see Tedenby being, sort of, this years version of Bergfors, and going in package to help bring back a top 6 winger.

devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:46 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by devs4L View Post
Yeah, I agree. I could see Tedenby being, sort of, this years version of Bergfors, and going in package to help bring back a top 6 winger.
If that is to be the case, Ted's needs to go on a run, cause Bergfors put points on the board prior to the trade.

And I do see more offensive skill on Ted's. Maybe not overall game, but pure skills, I'd give him the edge over Berg's

devilsblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Richer's Ghost
Sidebars suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
I thought he played well on Saturday

he wasn't great yesterday but I don't see the reason to bench him for half the game
Things were getting pretty physical and looking at that move tells me they don't want to a) him to get injured, b)get intimidated to the point he's turning the puck over and c)spoiling the videotape of what people will be seeing in a trade evaluation.

I'm reading into that with a trade in mind though. If there's no showcasing going on, then it's just Pete not trusting him at all based on history. Pete being Pete with the kids. I can't blame him to a degree - it got us pretty far being tough on the kids last year too.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Bergfors had like 15 goals at the time he was traded that year

Tedenby has little value right now league wide IMO

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Richer's Ghost
Sidebars suck

You can't build value if you stick him out in spots to fail. He starts out strong then Pete pulls him out when he starts to falter leaving only the good behind. Do that for 5-10 games and it will get someone to see it as a bonus in a package deal in this exaggerated short season. Things are going to get desperate quick for a few teams. We can only hope one of them is a good trade partner.

Old
01-23-2013, 09:19 AM
devs4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
Bergfors had like 15 goals at the time he was traded that year

Tedenby has little value right now league wide IMO
I was referring more to Tedenby simply being the young, skilled, forward, with offensive upside being part of a package. I know the production at this point isn't similar. Bergfors also didn't have 15 goals 2 games into the season.

devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
I did not start watching the game until the mid second. In the time that I watched i thought that he played ok. He made a good play, made transition and got a good shot. His lack of playing time could be due to the intensity of the game, they were looking for more responsibility and physical play.

Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Buggsy

It amazes me how much flack the kid is getting when we played 2 good games.

Elias, Kovy and Zid never moved their feet last night. The team was attrociously bad last night.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
It amazes me how much flack the kid is getting when we played 2 good games.

Elias, Kovy and Zid never moved their feet last night. The team was attrociously bad last night.
That may be due to him having some excellent chances and not burying the puck in game one. Skill is supposed to be his strong suit.

Last edited by Brooklyndevil: 01-23-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
RooneyConnSmythe12
Temporary avatar

Tedenby looked a lot better in the Islanders game than he did last night IMO. Fortunately, Yayo looks like he's gotten a ton better.

RooneyConnSmythe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 12:33 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
I did not start watching the game until the mid second. In the time that I watched i thought that he played ok. He made a good play, made transition and got a good shot. His lack of playing time could be due to the intensity of the game, they were looking for more responsibility and physical play.
I think this is a big part of it. Everybody on the team and behind the bench knew what was going to happen if Philly went down early in this game.

When the game gets amped up like that, Tedenby is not the guy you want out there.

It looked like DeBoer was trying to gain control back of the game offensively, while having a decent amount of physical players who could handle themselves.

This isn't all of the reason, but it surely is part of it.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 01:36 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I think this is a big part of it. Everybody on the team and behind the bench knew what was going to happen if Philly went down early in this game.

When the game gets amped up like that, Tedenby is not the guy you want out there.

It looked like DeBoer was trying to gain control back of the game offensively, while having a decent amount of physical players who could handle themselves.

This isn't all of the reason, but it surely is part of it.
At 3-0 it makes sense for numerous reasons to sit a small young guy known to be a defensive liability.

How Deboer and the Devils feel about Ted's will better be exemplified in upcoming games.

devilsblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:41 PM
apice3*

tallinder, tedenby, burlon and a 1st for corey perry

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
We don't have a 1st to trade. This year's has to be kept since the draft is in our building, and that means next year's is sacrificed to the angry Hockey gods.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Pittsburgh would annihilate that offer for Perry.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Get errr done

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Pittsburgh would annihilate that offer for Perry.
Perry reportedly does not want to be in a big market where he is constantly the main focus. I also dont know if Pitt could afford his contract

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
We don't have a 1st to trade. This year's has to be kept since the draft is in our building, and that means next year's is sacrificed to the angry Hockey gods.
If we pick 30th, the fans in the stands will just have to deal with Lou giving up the pick.

Old
01-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
If we pick 30th, the fans in the stands will just have to deal with Lou giving up the pick.
I think they'll be okay in that circumstance.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:02 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
I could be wrong but I don't think this is nearly enough value for Perry.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote