Windsor Spitfires completely deny all accusations put forward by OHL

Old
08-10-2012, 01:21 PM
OurHometown
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

The Windsor Spitfires Hockey Club and completely deny all accusations that have been put forward by the Ontario Hockey League. The team will pursue all avenues of appeal regarding the decision made by the Commissioner, David Branch.

READ MORE....
http://www.ourhometown.ca/windsor/sports/SN0029.php

OurHometown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Naz

Were ther smoke,there generally a fire. The OHL would not of posted it if they didn't have there facts to back it up.This might stop other teams from doing what Winsdor did

Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 01:58 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

What did you expect their response to be?..."yep...we did it...you caught us"

C'mon....of course they deny it. Any team would...even if it's true. I'd expect London to do the same if they were accused of doing it. Thing is..the Knights have been accused of wrong doings ever since the Hunter's took the team over. Guess they hide it better.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 02:47 PM
ORYX

But its all Branches fault, they did nothing wrong, it the Pete's fault for sucking and not retaining their good players, and Kitcheners fault for whining at branch, and the border guards fault, oh and the janitor doesnt do a good enough job.

Last on their list of blame: Their Management.

Thats the impressive i've received reading the many forums....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
But its all Branches fault, they did nothing wrong, it the Pete's fault for sucking and not retaining their good players, and Kitcheners fault for whining at branch, and the border guards fault, oh and the janitor doesnt do a good enough job.

Last on their list of blame: Their Management.

Thats the impressive i've received reading the many forums....
Petes have lost all top players sure... But atleast they didn't pay them to recruit them here.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:30 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Petes have lost all top players sure... But atleast they didn't pay them to recruit them here.
Or pay them to leave town,they ran out the door

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:42 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Or pay them to leave town,they ran out the door
Our OHL championship was built through the draft and 1 good trade (Downie) we didn't pay anybody too be here... I can honestly say I'm proud of that as a Petes fan. People will always remember Windsors 2 memorial cups as "bought teams"

Old
08-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Raisy

Quote:
Our OHL championship was built through the draft and 1 good trade (Downie) we didn't pay anybody too be here... I can honestly say I'm proud of that as a Petes fan. People will always remember Windsors 2 memorial cups as "bought teams"
This is what is most disappointing, not that Windsor is getting punished, if they cheated, then too bad for them; but posters like this who are already calling their 2 cups as bought teams. Going by what I have heard so far, the allegations revolve around 2 players after 2009, which essentially would clear the 2 Cup teams.

Raisy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:54 PM
HLLYWD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
This might stop other teams from doing what Winsdor did
The trouble is that we don't know what they did or who they did it with! If you are going to punish an organization publicly you damn well better explain the reason for the punishment!

Branch and the OHL have a serious GOD COMPLEX.

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
wingsfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisy View Post
This is what is most disappointing, not that Windsor is getting punished, if they cheated, then too bad for them; but posters like this who are already calling their 2 cups as bought teams. Going by what I have heard so far, the allegations revolve around 2 players after 2009, which essentially would clear the 2 Cup teams.
Well the investigation unit was started in 2009, obviously because the league had its suspicions from recent years and I'm sure they looked in to the past. I have to assume Cam Fowler was one of the players judging from his situation and the fact that they are apparently big name guys and he was on one championship team.

wingsfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Libbs

Quote:

This stems from 2 players...yes, count them. TWO!

All things are pointing to the two players in question being Fowler and Campbell.

For starters...Campbell wasn't even on either of the two cup teams genius.

Secondly, Fowler only played on the 2010 team, meaning the 2009 Championship is free and clear.

Thirdly, Fowler is 1 player on an entire team. A team that dominated. A team that would have won with our without Fowler. He is a good player, but wasn't any kind of a linchpin for that 2010 team.

So in conclusion...show me how either of those teams were "bought" teams. Give your head a shake!

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-11-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: flaming
Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
Incredibly stiff penalties if they stay. OHL is by far the harshest league that I know of. I like it on some stances such as illegal hits but in this instance the penalty seems to be too much.

Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:05 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Incredibly stiff penalties if they stay. OHL is by far the harshest league that I know of. I like it on some stances such as illegal hits but in this instance the penalty seems to be too much.
Agreed. I mean I cheer for a smaller market team, and I hate how things work in the OHL sometimes, but this ruling is incredibly harsh. Completely pulls the feet out from under the Spits. It's not like London and Kitchener are innocent.

heusy_79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
It's not like London and Kitchener are innocent.
I don't think anyone from either of those camps or fan bases is pleading innocence. Fact of the matter is...the Spits got caught. Period. (the Rags were excused of any wrong doing from what I've read). I cheer for the Knights and some deals have appeared fishy over the past decade. Let's be truthful. Difference is...you can point fingers all you want..but until something is proven..it's just unfounded accusations.

The question now lies is whether or not one feels this is just a black eye on the Spits..or the entire league?

The bigger black eye could come to light if an appeal by the Spits causes admissions to come out that this has happened in the past and was swept aside or for lack of better wording "overlooked" for whatever reasoning. I for one feel not much good is going to come from such an appeal. Yes it's their right to do so, but it could open a whole can of worms and internal prying that the OHL may or may not be prepared to face.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
defensehockey19

It does suck that its come too this.. I am glad that someone was caught to hopefully prevent SOME of it from happening in the future but with that said I do agree that 3 1st's and 2 2nd's let alone the 400,000$ is a very steep punishment.

As for the memorial cup.. If Windsor isn't awarded it and say it goes to Kingston.. I think there is a good chance Windsor will be there anyways.

Would something like revenue sharing prevent these kind of problems? Allowing all teams to have the same amount of cash? Would that work? I honestly have no idea...

Old
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
BigBuck

I think it's time teams have to be accountable for their actions either draft manipulation or enticing NCAA players into their teams. How and why did HoSang slide to #5 in this years draft to Windsor? He was the top rated player all year behind McDavid and he goes fifth in the draft? This stuff has been going on for way too long.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
I think it's time teams have to be accountable for their actions either draft manipulation or enticing NCAA players into their teams. How and why did HoSang slide to #5 in this years draft to Windsor? He was the top rated player all year behind McDavid and he goes fifth in the draft? This stuff has been going on for way too long.
Teams with bad programs ie dev players dont deserve the players earn them,fix your problem dont be cheap and maybe players will want to go there

Old
08-10-2012, 11:44 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Teams with bad programs ie dev players dont deserve the players earn them,fix your problem dont be cheap and maybe players will want to go there
So you are saying the Fronts,Pete's and Soo are cheap and can't afford top talent in the draft? Ya, nothing wrong with that

Old
08-10-2012, 11:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
So you are saying the Fronts,Pete's and Soo are cheap and can't afford top talent in the draft? Ya, nothing wrong with that
No I did not mention any team however there are a number of teams who fail miserably in dev players,why should players have to go there when their dev is going be stunted or other things such as bad billets,lax education policies
If every team ran a great program there would be no manipulating to deny that is naive

Old
08-10-2012, 11:58 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
No I did not mention any team however there are a number of teams who fail miserably in dev players,why should players have to go there when their dev is going be stunted or other things such as bad billets,lax education policies
If every team ran a great program there would be no manipulating to deny that is naive
I do agree with this and Branch should look at and take actions to make sure all teams are compliant and similar with their programs.

Old
08-11-2012, 12:21 AM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
This stems from 2 players...yes, count them. TWO!

All things are pointing to the two players in question being Fowler and Campbell.

For starters...Campbell wasn't even on either of the two cup teams genius.

Secondly, Fowler only played on the 2010 team, meaning the 2009 Championship is free and clear.

Thirdly, Fowler is 1 player on an entire team. A team that dominated. A team that would have won with our without Fowler. He is a good player, but wasn't any kind of a linchpin for that 2010 team.

So in conclusion...show me how either of those teams were "bought" teams. Give your head a shake!
Those teams were definitely bought. This didn't start in 2009 and it isn't just Windsor that has been doing it. Kitchener and London are well known for doing the same thing and Plymouth was the worst for it when Deboer was there.

Last edited by Majik1987: 08-11-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: qe
TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:51 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Kitchener and London are well known for doing the same thing and Plymouth was the worst for it when Deboer was there.
Difference being...they haven't been caught. You're not a cheat..until you're caught. People will say what they want and try to deflect their anger in other directions, but until it's proven other teams have done it since the board was formed..right now the only guilty team is the Spits. I firmly believe it's been happening since Boughner and Rychel took over. As I've said before...many moves in London have looked and smelled fishy over the past decade(Kitchener as well). As of right now...nothing has been proven in those camps.

Old
08-11-2012, 07:56 AM
hockeylegend11

This all makes me wonder if the OHL will continue to allow fathers of players to be on staff as a coach or scout to be discontinued as the families derive an income from such jobs
The only exception being ownership and sons

Old
08-11-2012, 08:18 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

People need to stop and think for a minute here. Do they honestly believe the Windsor Spitfires are the only team to be investigated? No...they're the only team to get caught. BIG difference. A board isn't formed to investigate one team. This was more than likely a league wide investigation...and one team was found to be in violation.

Old
08-11-2012, 10:03 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post

WOW. An argument could be made that Windsor doesn't come back against Kitchener down 3-1 without Fowler in 2010.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote