HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston-Edmonton Proposal --- Why not?

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 09:46 AM
AvsGuy

vCash: 500
Boston-Edmonton Proposal --- Why not?

TO EDMONTON:

Nicholas Boynton, Ivan Huml, 4th rounder

TO BOSTON:

Mike Comrie, Marc-Andre Bergeron

thoughts? both players (Boynton and Comrie) aren't likely to sign anytime soon, a change of scenery could be good i guess...

Old
09-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Ozy_Flame

Edmonton flat out loses this one. Huml is still a one-dimensional hotshot youngster who would play on an already saturated left side. Boynton is a great return for Edmonton, but giving up Bergeron hardly improves their depth. I'd pass on this one.

I see something more along the lines of:

Brian Rolston (with Boston eating a little salary) and Jonathan Girard for Mike Comrie, Jason Chimera and a prospect.

Boston still gets their second line center and a promising young two-way forward in Chimera. Edmonton gets a player who can play a top-six role and put Smyth back on the left wing where he belongs. They also get cheap offensive depth on their blueline in Girard, a player who is not only young enough to fit the mold of the Oilers team, but also has enough veteran experience to reinforce their blueline.

There is only two flaws: one, is Rolston's contract which I tried to lookup on nhlpa.com, but is unavailable. I assume he's around the three million dollar range, something the Bruins would have to help them out with. He is also, I believe, a UFA after next season, so he could provide enough talent and offensive punch while players like Stoll, Rita and Torres develop into full-time players. The second flaw is Girard may be out for a while due to his accident, so the Oils might be scared off from that.

It's something I just thought of on the spot. Thoughts?

Old
09-19-2003, 10:15 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
boynton for comrie is good for edmonton's needs... while they still pick up another player in huml..

maybe switching huml to a grittier player could make it look better, but i don't think it's that bad.. boynton in edmonton would work wonders

Old
09-19-2003, 10:19 AM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
I think Huml would work in Edmonton also. He is a big LW that brings alot of skill to the game. He seems to play alot like Elias and could develop into a good 2nd liner or maybe a 1st liner. I always liked him as a prospect.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:23 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I think Huml would work in Edmonton also. He is a big LW that brings alot of skill to the game. He seems to play alot like Elias and could develop into a good 2nd liner or maybe a 1st liner. I always liked him as a prospect.
Huml big????? Sure u got the right Huml there?

Old
09-19-2003, 10:24 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

personally, i wouldn't do this from boston's point of view, though that's largely because i like boynton and don't like comrie.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:28 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame

Brian Rolston (with Boston eating a little salary) and Jonathan Girard for Mike Comrie, Jason Chimera and a prospect.
i was thinking of something like that as well, although when i tried to add Rolston to the proposal (cuz he would ROCK with the Oilers), i couldn't find a defenseman from Edmonton that would: a) adequately replace Boynton, and b) Not drain the Oil's depth.

after my proposed deal, the Oil would have Boynton, Staios, Ferguson, Semenov, Cross and Smith still on D. that's not too shabby...

Old
09-19-2003, 10:33 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame
Edmonton flat out loses this one. Huml is still a one-dimensional hotshot youngster who would play on an already saturated left side. Boynton is a great return for Edmonton, but giving up Bergeron hardly improves their depth. I'd pass on this one.

Boston still gets their second line center and a promising young two-way forward in Chimera. Edmonton gets a player who can play a top-six role and put Smyth back on the left wing where he belongs. They also get cheap offensive depth on their blueline in Girard, a player who is not only young enough to fit the mold of the Oilers team, but also has enough veteran experience to reinforce their blueline.

There is only two flaws: one, is Rolston's contract which I tried to lookup on nhlpa.com, but is unavailable. I assume he's around the three million dollar range, something the Bruins would have to help them out with. He is also, I believe, a UFA after next season, so he could provide enough talent and offensive punch while players like Stoll, Rita and Torres develop into full-time players. The second flaw is Girard may be out for a while due to his accident, so the Oils might be scared off from that.

It's something I just thought of on the spot. Thoughts?
I personally like the 1st one better. Rolston is a soon to be UFA and makes too much money for the Oilers to keep around. The Bruins are also not a team that would likely be willing to pick up any salary heading the other way.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsGuy
i was thinking of something like that as well, although when i tried to add Rolston to the proposal (cuz he would ROCK with the Oilers), i couldn't find a defenseman from Edmonton that would: a) adequately replace Boynton, and b) Not drain the Oil's depth.

after my proposed deal, the Oil would have Boynton, Staios, Ferguson, Semenov, Cross and Smith still on D. that's not too shabby...

Let's not forget Brewer!

Old
09-19-2003, 10:37 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:

You forgot Brewer

Oiler's D pairings after your trade.

Brewer-Smith
Boynton-Staios
Semenov-Cross

Ext. Ferguson, Luoma.

NOT BAD AT ALL!!

However, as an Oiler fan I would rather keep it simple with Comrie for Boynton, maybe picks evening it out (although I'd try and make you take Ferguson). I think that could be the basis for a deal.

Thoughts?

Old
09-19-2003, 10:44 AM
supernova

Can't see the Bs doing this one. They are already thin on D and Boynton is one of their best, plus he's still young & learning. They don't need a 2nd line center that bad.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:50 AM
JasonMacIsaac

vCash:
Huml is 6`2 last time I checked, I don't think he is old enough to shrink in and hour also.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Huml is 6`2 last time I checked, I don't think he is old enough to shrink in and hour also.
unless he steps into mutagen and it has the reverse effect as that of the turtles.....GO SPLINTER!

Old
09-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I commented on this trade before. I really like this deal. Its fair, and meets both teams needs. The only problem is that Boston is weak on D especially with Berad unsigned. If they could sign Klee and Berad or trade for another moderate D-man, then this trade could definitely go down.

Old
09-19-2003, 10:58 AM
Yammer

The values don't seem unfair, to this not-very-well-versed reader, but I wonder if they match up well. Seems to me that Edmonton needs to get a centre back.

Old
09-19-2003, 11:00 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
he may be 6'2", but he's about as tough as that little flower outside my office window. he may score 25 goals in the NHL someday, but i'd trade him in a heartbeat for something that we need. that said, there's no friggin way we can trade boynton- our D is weak to begin with, and he's the closest thing we have to a #1 (yes, it's that bad).

Old
09-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
he may be 6'2", but he's about as tough as that little flower outside my office window. he may score 25 goals in the NHL someday, but i'd trade him in a heartbeat for something that we need. that said, there's no friggin way we can trade boynton- our D is weak to begin with, and he's the closest thing we have to a #1 (yes, it's that bad).
Huml = Jani Rita. Oilers already have Jani Rita so what's the point?

Boynton is a good young d-man and would have to be involved on Boston's end in any deal for Comrie.

Old
09-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 767
Quote:
If they could sign Klee and Berad or trade for another moderate D-man, then this trade could definitely go down.
we are talking about boston here

Old
09-19-2003, 12:40 PM
AvsGuy

wow. this is like the first proposal i've ever made where everyone didn't rip me to shreds and make me look like a complete tool! (sniff sniff) I'm touched, really!

now if only i hadn't forgotten to include Brewer in the Oiler's defense corps...*smacks head* :p

Old
09-19-2003, 12:49 PM
Bobs your uncle

Quote:
TO EDMONTON:

Nicholas Boynton, Ivan Huml, 4th rounder

TO BOSTON:

Mike Comrie, Marc-Andre Bergeron

thoughts? both players (Boynton and Comrie) aren't likely to sign anytime soon, a change of scenery could be good i guess...
Oilers get ********* in this deal!

Old
09-19-2003, 12:51 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your uncle ...
yeah, what would they do if they couldn't count on comrie this....oh, hold on. nevermind.

Old
09-19-2003, 12:53 PM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your uncle ...
wow, that's a...big word...

more useful insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Old
09-19-2003, 07:38 PM
_Del_

Perhaps EDM could acquire Berard's rights on the cheap? I don't think Boston's giving up on Boynton quite yet... And I doubt they'd offer Rolston in a deal for Comrie, but that's just me

Old
09-19-2003, 08:51 PM
evman150*

I think this trade is very fair and suits both teams perfectly. Boynton is a great return for Comrie and if I were an Oiler fan I'd be thrilled if this trade went through.

Old
09-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
You forgot Brewer
How the hell can Eric Brewer be forgotten?!?

Closed Thread