HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 04:38 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
As much as we are paying attention to the #5 pick (and rightfully so) the Canes also have the 35th pick in a deep draft. Since I know next to nothing from about 20 on, where do you think the Canes are/should be looking?
There's been enough noise that the Canes are all over Fucale that I'll be shocked if he's not our pick if he's on the board at #35.

Tristan Jarry is also out there if we're looking at goalies. He's a solid keeper but he's also playing behind a loaded Oil Kings team as their backup. Eric Comrie also was a first round possibility for this draft before his injury, if he's recovered well he'll be in consideration.

That said, going forward in the first would make me think we'll go D in the 2nd. Shea Theodore, Josh Morrissey, Ian McCoshen, and Jordan Subban are likely all 4 on the radar there.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:39 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
There's been enough noise that the Canes are all over Fucale that I'll be shocked if he's not our pick if he's on the board at #35.

Tristan Jarry is also out there if we're looking at goalies. He's a solid keeper but he's also playing behind a loaded Oil Kings team as their backup. Eric Comrie also was a first round possibility for this draft before his injury, if he's recovered well he'll be in consideration.

That said, going forward in the first would make me think we'll go D in the 2nd. Shea Theodore, Josh Morrissey, Ian McCoshen, and Jordan Subban are likely all 4 on the radar there.
Doesn't that Subban kid have some brothers we could try to reunite all on our team

04-30-2013, 04:41 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Jacob de la Rose - It's entirely possible that Rutherford sees the word "la Rose" in his name and makes an impulse buy. de la Rose is entering his second year of draft eligibility after a breakout WJC where he was able to show off his elite speed for Sweden. Concerns about his hands and offensive ability, but has a high motor and skates like the wind.
Nope, this is the first time he's up for the draft.

Old
04-30-2013, 05:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

First 14 Mock:

1 Colorado Avalanche - D Seth Jones - Portland, WHL
the obvious pick here. The home town boy, consensus #1 in this draft filling team need as well?
Can't possibly see the Avs taking any other direction here.

2 Florida Panthers - C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax, QMJHL
Disappointed a bit this season, but hasn't really fallen in terms of his projections. That said, he's turned it on for he playoffs in a big way. Panthers NEED a #1C to put alongside Huberdeau, this is the only option there.
No alternative pick unless Monahan shocks the world.

3 Tampa Bay Lightning - LW Jonathan Drouin - Halifax, QMJHL
Drouin's the last of the consensus big 3, being considered better then MacKinnon by some. The Bolts could use some size and another center long term, but I can't see them passing on the guy that will be their replacement for St Louis long term. That said, they tend to go to the beat of their own drummer in the draft under Yzerman (Koekkoek at #10 last year) so far so they could very well throw a wrench in things. That said, still going Drouin here.
Alternative picks: Nichushkin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm

4 Nashville Predators - C Aleksander Barkov - Tappara, FEL
Best offensive production from a prospect in a top Euro league that I've seen in a while, and the Preds need all the help they can get up front. Given that they've been burnt on Russians via Radulov, Barkov's the obvious choice here. That said, if they like Monahan enough that could throw things for a loop.
Alternative Pick: Monahan

5 Carolina Hurricanes - C Sean Monahan - Ottawa 67s
Monahan was considered a solid top 3 candidate for this draft looking back a few years, but he's slipped a bit not really due to any faults of his own, but the team around him and the depth of this draft. Best offensive NA forward prospect on the board, who could be compared favorably to another former 67: Logan Couture. Canes need defensive help the most but will likely take the BPA baring a trade down.
Alternative picks: Nichushkin, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Nurse

6 Calgary Flames - LW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk
The Flames have loaded up their system a bit up front, but still lack on the back end. That said, it may be hard for them to pass on the guy that could very well be the best forward of the draft, especially considering they don't have anyone with the high end potential to replace Iginla who was traded away this offseason.
Alternative picks: Lindholm, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Nurse

7 Edmonton Oilers - D Darnell Nurse - Sault Ste. Marie
Oilers are loaded up front with high level talents, but they could use some help on D. They have some good depth guys but beyond Schultz they're in need of help going forward. Enter Nurse, a guy with varying opinions about him but one that also could easily be considered the second best one in the draft.
Alternative picks: Lindholm, Ristolainen, Zadorov

8 Buffalo Sabres - D Rasmus Ristolainen - TPS Turku
Strictly BPA here, the Sabres are in need of a bit of everything but a centerman.
Alternative picks: Lindholm, Zadorov, Domi, Shinkaruk

9 New Jersey Devils - C Elias Lindholm - Brynas
BPA again here, they probably need to look at net long term, but there's nobody in this draft even close to being top 15 worthy.
Alternative picks: Zadorov, Domi, Shinkaruk, Mantha

10 Dallas Stars - F Max Domi - London
BPA, Stars need a bit of everything but a goalie long term. But forwards long term are probably where they need it the most. Tossup as to which is the best long term at this point.
Alternative picks: Zadorov, Shinkaruk, Mantha

11 Philadelphia Flyers - Nikita Zadorov - London
Flyers need D, Zadorov's the only top 15 talent at the position still on the board at this pick, pretty obvious to me.
Alternative picks: Shinkaruk, Mantha, Pulock

12 Phoenix Coyotes - RW Hunter Shinkaruk - Medicine Hat
Best forward and best wing available here, pretty straightforward pick for the Yotes considering that's what they need.
Alternative pick: Mantha

13 Winnipeg Jets - RW Anthony Mantha - Val d'Or
Jets could use some help up front in terms of high end talent, enter Mantha a solid winger with high offensive upside.
Alternative picks: Erne, Pulock

14 Columbus Blue Jackets - D Ryan Pulock - Brandon
Honestly not sure what they need so I have them going BPA here. Pulock fits that bill to me rather easily.
Alternative picks: Erne, Horvat

Old
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

Aside from Seth, I think Zadorov might be the best defenseman in this draft. I think that it'd be foolish for the Stars to pass up on him in favor of Domi. That's no slight against Domi, but I might also include Shinkaruk as the better player available.

As for our pick, I want Nich but wouldn't mind Monahan. How's that pronounced anyways?

Old
04-30-2013, 06:25 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Aside from Seth, I think Zadorov might be the best defenseman in this draft. I think that it'd be foolish for the Stars to pass up on him in favor of Domi. That's no slight against Domi, but I might also include Shinkaruk as the better player available.

As for our pick, I want Nich but wouldn't mind Monahan. How's that pronounced anyways?
Which? Nichushkin or Monahan?

From how McKenzie pronounced it yesterday, it's Ni-COOSH-kin and MAHN-uh-han, IIRC.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:29 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have any links for that? I'd be interested in reading it.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:41 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
Which? Nichushkin or Monahan?

From how McKenzie pronounced it yesterday, it's Ni-COOSH-kin and MAHN-uh-han, IIRC.
I've heard a couple people today say McKenzie was wrong and it is "Ni-CHOOSH-kin."

We'll probably not know for sure until we hear Chuck Kaiton pronounce it.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:49 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
I've heard a couple people today say McKenzie was wrong and it is "Ni-CHOOSH-kin."

We'll probably not know for sure until we hear Chuck Kaiton pronounce it.
Yeah, I just watched a highlight video where it was a CHOOSH sound with the Russian announcer. But the H sound is rather slight, from what I heard.

But yeah, Chuck will figure it out.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

Okay. That answers both of my questions. I sure do hope we choose Choosh.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
AD Skinner

The Mighty Choosh

Old
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Or this:

Old
04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Vagrant what are you talking about? Its not Jacob de la Rose second year of draft eligibility, its his first.
I have no idea why that slipped my mind. My mistake. I could have sworn he was eligible last season when I was scouting late round picks for my keeper, my fault!

Old
04-30-2013, 10:14 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanginLikeaBiscuit View Post
Just out of curiosity, do you have any links for that? I'd be interested in reading it.
Saw some stuff by one of the media guys covering the QMJHL on twitter a while back. Will be a challenge to find it though.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post

That's the crazy thing about this draft, I'm sure if you ask 3 scouts you could easily get 3 different answers as to who the #2 dman in the draft is. Hell, I think once you get past the top 5 picks (plus the Nichushkin wildcard) this draft is wide open.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Yes We Cam
Anton who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Bubchuk View Post
Or this:
"Valery, do you wanna be my Valentine".

Old
05-01-2013, 08:28 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's the crazy thing about this draft, I'm sure if you ask 3 scouts you could easily get 3 different answers as to who the #2 dman in the draft is. Hell, I think once you get past the top 5 picks (plus the Nichushkin wildcard) this draft is wide open.
Not only is it wide open after this group, but I have a feeling we're going to see one of these top-5 guys fall Cam Fowler style and throw everyone into a tizzy. It's gearing up to be a draft where every team has a completely different draft board than everyone else.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Not only is it wide open after this group, but I have a feeling we're going to see one of these top-5 guys fall Cam Fowler style and throw everyone into a tizzy. It's gearing up to be a draft where every team has a completely different draft board than everyone else.
I'm guessing Barkov will fall, no rationale or reasoning behind it, just a gut feel.

I can't say Nichushkin will fall, because I have no idea where he should go. Skills wise, he's reportedly top 5, but even McKenzie admits many GMs will pass on him due to the concerns over his contract status in Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 4 and I wouldn't be surprised if he drops down to the 7-10 range either.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I don't know. It seems to me that the "faller" has traditionally been a smallish, offensive-minded defenseman (Murphy, Fowler, Ellis). The closest guy to that mold in this draft is Pulock, but he's already slipped quite a bit.

Nichushkin is a logical candidate to slide, and the defenseman could go anywhere, but I'd still be pretty surprised if 1-4 isn't Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov in some order.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:21 AM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't know. It seems to me that the "faller" has traditionally been a smallish, offensive-minded defenseman (Murphy, Fowler, Ellis). The closest guy to that mold in this draft is Pulock, but he's already slipped quite a bit.

Nichushkin is a logical candidate to slide, and the defenseman could go anywhere, but I'd still be pretty surprised if 1-4 isn't Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov in some order.
Not sure which draft thread I mentioned this in, but both Forsberg (#11) and Grigorenko (#12) fell last year. Both were projected to be long gone before the #8 pick.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:58 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

I think the top 2 are basically locks since it fills team need AND is arguably BPA for both teams. But beyond that I can see room for some chaos. Does Tampa draft the small skilled forward (Drouin) when they already have plenty of those, or are the rumors of them being high on Nichushkin true to the point that they'd consider him at #3 instead?

Are the Preds willing to take the Russian gamble, or go with the consensus pick in Barkov?

Are the Canes, or do they go with a dman which is sorely needed, or do they go with Monahan to load up the center position?

I think the top 3 likely plays out as most project, but the room for chaos is there for sure. The dman projections are all over the map this year in terms of how people see the position beyond Jones. Nashville's the first true tossup pick I can see here, though I'm still leaning Barkov based off what most scouting sites have as consensus here.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I just want to see Florida inexplicably take Monahan, and Tampa forced to pass on McKinnon because he's a center, so we can see Poile sitting at his table having this reaction:

Old
05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
wallym

I don't know if this has been addressed anywhere, yet.

What is the deal with Nich's KHL contract? Is leaving it an option? Does the NHL team have to pay for him to do that? Big power forward seems like it would be a great add.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:03 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Hey Canes' fans, I have a friendly proposition for you guys and was wondering what you think.

There has been a lot of talk on the Flames board the past couple of days about how Flames brass believe there are 4 potential franchise players in this draft. Feaster also previously mentioned that they believed Lindholm should be in consideration for 1st overall.

Using what we know, it looks like the Flames will be targeting Lindholm with their pick. If the Flames want to help ensure they get Lindholm a swap of picks with Carolina might make some sense. So here is my proposition:

6th Overall
25th - 30th (Penguins 1st)

for

5th Overall
35th (Carolina 2nd)

Now this deal of course would hinge on Carolina not wanting Lindholm. What do you guys think? Fair?

Old
05-01-2013, 12:08 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Hey Canes' fans, I have a friendly proposition for you guys and was wondering what you think.

There has been a lot of talk on the Flames board the past couple of days about how Flames brass believe there are 4 potential franchise players in this draft. Feaster also previously mentioned that they believed Lindholm should be in consideration for 1st overall.

Using what we know, it looks like the Flames will be targeting Lindholm with their pick. If the Flames want to help ensure they get Lindholm a swap of picks with Carolina might make some sense. So here is my proposition:

6th Overall
25th - 30th (Penguins 1st)

for

5th Overall
35th (Carolina 2nd)

Now this deal of course would hinge on Carolina not wanting Lindholm. What do you guys think? Fair?
Would be easily palatable to me. I think the Canes are looking Monahan there anyway and the Pens 1st would give the Canes the opportunity to jump on Fucale with that pick. Only way I think they wouldn't is if both teams are hard after Nichushkin or Monahan, or someone in front of us drafts one of those two causing Barkov to slip to us.

Closed Thread