HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes We Cam
$6.3 million backup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplatepressure View Post
I think Nashville will want/need the hype the prospect brings, and based on feedback here Tampa would demand Phaneuf or nothing for that #3 overall. I'd be prepared to do that, but it opens up a huge gap in our top-pairing, where we'd then have no real top-pairing D.
Oh really!? I thought that the leafs' miraclous playoff run would make them think twice before trading away arguably their best player in some sort of desperate rebuild move.

I can get onboard with this though, 5th overall+McBain for Phaneuf.

Old
05-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

What is the possibility of the Preds passing on Barkov for Monahan?

Old
05-12-2013, 01:06 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
What is the possibility of the Preds passing on Barkov for Monahan?
Not high percentage, but it COULD happen. I'd say 75% chance they draft Barkov at #4 unless some craziness goes on at #3.

Old
05-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Can we take this talk of Jordan Staal to another thread and talk about prospects in here maybe?

Old
05-12-2013, 06:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
yep.

Old
05-12-2013, 06:32 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
So... Prospects...

Old
05-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Jussijuice

Wally made a good point, the pp is lacking. Even turnover king MAB helped it somewhat.

Victor Rask and Sean Monahan are both PP experts. Monahan has 38 of his 78 points this year on the pp (15 pp goals I think). In a full year last season Rask had 14 pp goals.

If either of these guys are on the Canes next year this could be a big reason for it. Hopefully they could bring some life where it is desperately needed.

Old
05-12-2013, 08:58 PM
bleedgreen

We always seem to lack two things the last few years. Decisive playmaking and a top shooter from the point. Murphy may take care of one of those. Not sure Monahan is that kind of player for the playmaker, especially at this point. Who knows with rask, maybe.

Old
05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Sens1Canes2

Semin was a fantastic playmaker this year, albeit mostly at even strength, and on rushes. Not necessarily the "set play" playmaking I guess.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I have been critical of Faulk's decision making from the point previously, but I think he's starting to come around in that regard. The biggest thing is that he has to be quicker. Not physically but mentally. He has to make snappier passes and keep the pace of the powerplay unpredictable and keep the goaltender moving as the lanes change. He seems to do that on international ice much better than he does on the smaller rinks, but I think his development may see a dramatic spike offensively next season. 3rd year professionals are usually when you see the biggest jump. Keeping his feet moving and finding the middle of the ice for a shooting lane is going to be crucial. He has already done that 3 or 4 times successfully in this WC tournament and I hope that is a lesson he takes with him.

Ryan Murphy is also a guy that moves the puck really quickly. He's a natural back there so it really shouldn't take him long to pick up. He knows where to be already and his skating can get him there. I don't worry too much about our PP from the point next season. I think they'll be fine.

Old
05-13-2013, 09:29 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I have no doubt that our PP point situation is going to be fine, as long as Tim Brent is signed and healthy. Those 2 secondary PP assists this season were amazing. 1:40 a game well spent.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Semin was a fantastic playmaker this year, albeit mostly at even strength, and on rushes. Not necessarily the "set play" playmaking I guess.
Murphy may be a better setup guy than a shooter, Faulk hasn't really used his shot enough in my opinion, but coming out of College he had a cannon. I hope he begins to show it off a bit more.

One option noone has really talked about is adding Mark Streit. He is 35 years old and stands to make $3-5 million next year but he has a very good all around game and is excellent on the point during a pp.

Might be a decent mix between JRs love for offensive D and someone that actually handle top-4 minutes without being overwhelmed. Good chance he resigns with NYI but it's worth a look.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I have no doubt that our PP point situation is going to be fine, as long as Tim Brent is signed and healthy. Those 2 secondary PP assists this season were amazing. 1:40 a game well spent.

On a real PP note, I totally forgot Murphy's a right shot. Basically guarantees his spot in the lineup next year...

Old
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post

On a real PP note, I totally forgot Murphy's a right shot. Basically guarantees his spot in the lineup next year...
I said it during Murphy's audition this year and still feel like Harrison-Murphy is fine as a bottom pairing in 13-14. The key is finding the defenseman to put in the top 4 so Harrison-Murphy can be the bottom pairing. It needs to be someone who can be put out on PK duty reliably and preferably a D who can compliment Pitkanen. We saw this year that Harrison quickly got exposed due to attrition above him, and Murphy is not ready to be relied upon for top 4 minutes. But I think as a bottom pairing it works well.

Old
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
I said it during Murphy's audition this year and still feel like Harrison-Murphy is fine as a bottom pairing in 13-14. The key is finding the defenseman to put in the top 4 so Harrison-Murphy can be the bottom pairing. It needs to be someone who can be put out on PK duty reliably and preferably a D who can compliment Pitkanen. We saw this year that Harrison quickly got exposed due to attrition above him, and Murphy is not ready to be relied upon for top 4 minutes. But I think as a bottom pairing it works well.
I think Lydman is the best option imo.

Gleason//Faulk
Lydman//Pitkänen
Harrison//Murphy

or something like that.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Glad to see you guys get back on topic

The trick with our defense, and what makes some of the D prospects interesting, is that the pairings can go

Gleason/Faulk
Joni/???

Or

Gleason/???
Joni/Faulk

I think we might even be better off with the latter, as Justin could use his entire toolset, and it's easier to fill the role of simple 'stay at home defender' than a two way guy who can play 25+ a night.

That's what makes Nurse appealing, is it seems like he'll be similar to Faulk in that he could fit a few different roles.

Old
05-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Glad to see you guys get back on topic

The trick with our defense, and what makes some of the D prospects interesting, is that the pairings can go

Gleason/Faulk
Joni/???

Or

Gleason/???
Joni/Faulk

I think we might even be better off with the latter, as Justin could use his entire toolset, and it's easier to fill the role of simple 'stay at home defender' than a two way guy who can play 25+ a night.

That's what makes Nurse appealing, is it seems like he'll be similar to Faulk in that he could fit a few different roles.
Unless JR pulls a rabbit out of his hat and moves up for Jones, the open spot in the top 4 is irrelevant to the #5 pick IMO. I don't see any other defenseman who is going to be playing opposite Gleason or Joni this year.

I see a better argument for pairing Murphy with Gleason and then putting a rookie on the bottom pairing with Harrison. But that makes the defense core very inexperienced, and I don't think that's the right direction for the team. Better to find a veteran who can take those top 4 minutes and get the BPA at 5.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

IIRC, Harrison and Murphy were paired together and looked good when Murphy was up this year.

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - FA/Trade (Corvo? McBain?)
Harrison - Murphy

Old
05-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
IIRC, Harrison and Murphy were paired together and looked good when Murphy was up this year.

Pitkanen - Faulk
Gleason - FA/Trade (Corvo? McBain?)
Harrison - Murphy
That's what I remember as well.

Old
05-14-2013, 02:00 AM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Memorial cup should be great this year. Knights with a crazy game 7 win tonight.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...win-ohl-title/

Mackinnon
Drouin
Fucale
Jones
Petan
Domi
Zadorov
Horvat

All on the big stage.

Old
05-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Jussijuice

After reading a lot and watching highlights of Lindholm, I won't be sad at all if they take him 5th.

I could get behind drafting Lindholm and assembling the Swede Crew with Rask. Canes have to be scouting over there seeing as they took Karlsson last year and Rask the year before.

Still a decent chance IMO that Nashville pulls the yearly shocker and passes on Barkov for Lindholm (setting up their own Swedish contingent with Forsberg) or Monahan (Nashville type player).

Old
05-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
After reading a lot and watching highlights of Lindholm, I won't be sad at all if they take him 5th.

I could get behind drafting Lindholm and assembling the Swede Crew with Rask. Canes have to be scouting over there seeing as they took Karlsson last year and Rask the year before.

Still a decent chance IMO that Nashville pulls the yearly shocker and passes on Barkov for Lindholm (setting up their own Swedish contingent with Forsberg) or Monahan (Nashville type player).
I have been hearing rumblings of Tampa Bay being infatuated with Nichushkin for two reasons. One, they can afford to wait because they have a TON of rookies on the cusp of making NHL impacts and don't need him right away. (Connolly, Johnson, etc.) and that Yzerman feels like he's a generational talent.

I don't think the Top 4 is as cemented as everybody seems to think.

Old
05-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Jussijuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I have been hearing rumblings of Tampa Bay being infatuated with Nichushkin for two reasons. One, they can afford to wait because they have a TON of rookies on the cusp of making NHL impacts and don't need him right away. (Connolly, Johnson, etc.) and that Yzerman feels like he's a generational talent.

It would be pretty ridiculous if one of Barkov or Drouin fell to the Canes.

Is an annual tradition now though, some team will take the best player on their board and it won't be the consensus. Don't have to look much past Grigorenko and Forsberg last year.

Old
05-17-2013, 11:09 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post

It rarely is. Everyone is always so sure how it'll play out, and every year has a handful of surprises.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussijuice View Post
It would be pretty ridiculous if one of Barkov or Drouin fell to the Canes.

Is an annual tradition now though, some team will take the best player on their board and it won't be the consensus. Don't have to look much past Grigorenko and Forsberg last year.
If Nichushkin goes #3, I'd say it's more likely Drouin is there at #5 than Barkov. Nashville absolutely has to draft a center with their pick, IMO.

Closed Thread