HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Forecaster magazine

Old
09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Forecaster magazine

Surprised I have not seen this discussed yet - the 2013/14 Sports Forecaster magazine predicts Phoenix wins the Pacific Division and finishes 4th overall in the NHL this year

They are really high on the new found stability - talk of the importance of keeping GMDM and Tippett, are really high on adding Ribeiro, and think Mike Smith will rebound.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Outright winning the Pacific Division will be a tough task, but we're certainly a dark horse to make the playoffs as a high seed.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:47 AM
CC96
Serious Offender

Is this article available online ducky? Or is it only available in print form?

Old
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

That is pretty amazing. I am glad to see DM and DT getting some respect for what they have been able to do.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
doaner

Fiction can be fun!

I just don't see it happening. Making the playoffs would be nice though.

We need a Mora playoffs clip here. Haha

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
Fiction can be fun!

I just don't see it happening. Making the playoffs would be nice though.

We need a Mora playoffs clip here. Haha
I don't think playoffs are that far fetched to warrant that clip. This is the best I've felt about a Coyotes team going into the season in a long time. We've been so used to not having a #1 center it may come as a big surprise to just how much it will help having all our centers playing on the right lines in the right roles.

Old
09-11-2013, 11:48 AM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoyote View Post
I don't think playoffs are that far fetched to warrant that clip. This is the best I've felt about a Coyotes team going into the season in a long time. We've been so used to not having a #1 center it may come as a big surprise to just how much it will help having all our centers playing on the right lines in the right roles.
I'd disagree. We have not even reported to camp yet and already we are #4 in the league???? Nah, it sure is a bit early for this. Ask others and I'm sure we are in the bottom 1/3 of the league. I do feel we will make it, but I think that every year. Time will tell. I'd prefer the underdog status then the other. Just MO.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

My dad and I are both putting 100 bucks on the Coyotes to win the Pacific. I mean hey, we've done it before with a worse team on paper, just have more teams to beat out this year.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:43 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

I'm not sure we are gonna win the division but the serious problem around here has been lack of a top line. We actually have a chance for one now so the way I see it there is no where to go up but from last seasons finish.

We weren't that far off anyway, only 4 points. If Smith is just marginally better than he was last season and everything else stays about the same I think a playoff spot is a certainty.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

I'm not surprised by this ranking considing how many question marks there are for most teams in the Pacific Division. Nice to hear such a good prediction for a change but still it's just a prediction.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Scottyb123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Surprised I have not seen this discussed yet - the 2013/14 Sports Forecaster magazine predicts Phoenix wins the Pacific Division and finishes 4th overall in the NHL this year

They are really high on the new found stability - talk of the importance of keeping GMDM and Tippett, are really high on adding Ribeiro, and think Mike Smith will rebound.
I'd like to see this... is it online?

Scottyb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:00 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Sports radio / ESPN prediction talk is useless crap to fill time, and everyone on the main forum is picking the same old teams -- CHI, PIT, BOS, LAK -- because that seems safe. Unless there's been a "take my talents to South Beach" -esque UFA signing, every magazine picks the same two Cup finalists to repeat every year.

But why not? PHX looks great this year on paper, and if Bodker takes the next step or one of the camp-invitees rises from the ashes (sorry, phoenix puns are too easy) this team could be dangerous. And if we make a nice run and have some unspent gunpowder come deadline time, this team could be scary in May.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:07 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Sports radio / ESPN prediction talk is useless crap to fill time, and everyone on the main forum is picking the same old teams -- CHI, PIT, BOS, LAK -- because that seems safe. Unless there's been a "take my talents to South Beach" -esque UFA signing, every magazine picks the same two Cup finalists to repeat every year.

But why not? PHX looks great this year on paper, and if Bodker takes the next step or one of the camp-invitees rises from the ashes (sorry, phoenix puns are too easy) this team could be dangerous. And if we make a nice run and have some unspent gunpowder come deadline time, this team could be scary in May.
Bingo. Hit the nail right on the head.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I'd rather they be picked to finish last.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
AndrewYotes

Everyone always complains how media underestimates us, and here's a media being bullish on us and everyone complains about that. :O

AndrewYotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 07:28 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
It's still early September. Still too hot to be agreeable.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:06 PM
ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyb123 View Post
I'd like to see this... is it online?
I have the print version (been buying it for years). I think it is only in print form though it has a Facebook page.
http://www.xmlteam.com/tsf-magazine.php

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Snarky Coyote

I put down last month for the Yotes to win the cup 50-1 never looked so good

Snarky Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

I like being the underdog and flying in under the radar too.

I don't see a reason not to feel good about this team though. In the past there has huge weaknesses like a need for a number one center, for scorers, for guys that can win faceoffs or play the pk, for guys to plug into the 3rd/4th lines, a starting goalie, a backup goalie, defense, etc.

This year:

1. We have a number one center. Not only does that give us a number one center it allows all the other centers to drop down to the line they should be on. It automatically upgrades all 4 lines.

2. We have a goalie. Last year with the lockout was hard to truly judge and evaluate anyone but we've shown a commitment to Smith and with a full training camp and a solid backup I think we will be fine. There is no glaring hole like the year we signed Smith and I at least had severe doubts, or the year we went in with Tellqvist, Auld and Aebischer.

3. We have 4 lines that can score. Our first two lines could each put in 60 goals, our third line wouldn't be a stretch to put in 50 and even our 4th line could chip in another 25. That doesn't even mention our defensemen's offensive output. Even with the question mark that is Latendresse we have about 14-15 guys that I'd be comfortable having out there.

4. Our defense is solid top to bottom. OEL, Schlemko, Stone, Summers, Rundblad have all had another year to develop. Those guys aren't rookies anymore. Put them in with Yandle, Morris, Michalek, Klesla and you have all kinds of options and depth. Even if you trade some away you still have Gormley ready to come up for a few games if everyone gets banged up.

Our forwards are better with a first line center, our PP will be better, our defense should be better, our goalies should be better, especially our backup. The core has also been together for awhile. Out of all our forwards you get maybe 3 new faces. The rest have all been to battle together. And we have owners now. The players don't have to constantly have that in the back of their mind and hear it everywhere they turn around from their friends, family and the media. They can focus on doing their job.

I'm not saying we will the division. That will be a tall order. But there is not the feeling that everything will have to go just right, that everyone will have to play above their talent just to avoid finishing last. Before there was always the feeling that our goalie would have to be the best in the league, or our defense would have to bail out our goalie and offense just to stand a chance. I just don't get that feeling with this team.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:58 AM
Vip
fun must be always

vCash: 50
Whoever wrote the article is either going to look like an absolute genius or a Complete bonehead

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote