HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

NHLPA rejects own offer.

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Habs514

vCash: 500
NHLPA rejects own offer.

Both sides met Wednesday in Toronto, and NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman confirmed that the league offered to use the NHLPA's Dec. 9 proposal until such time it became clear it wasn't working. If that happens, they would switch to the NHL's Feb. 2 proposal. The NHLPA turned down the 'hybrid' deal.

This is just sad. :mad:

Here is the link:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=114287

Old
02-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Habbadasher

The PA are working on their own offer. What they don't like is that this offer is structured in such a way as to make linkage a certainty.
I'm not a PA lover, but this new offer is a good publicity stunt, but not a significant move by the NHL, on the other hand, why should they move?

Old
02-09-2005, 07:58 PM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
The PA are working on their own offer. What they don't like is that this offer is structured in such a way as to make linkage a certainty.
I'm not a PA lover, but this new offer is a good publicity stunt, but not a significant move by the NHL, on the other hand, why should they move?
Lol, I just read it in RDS to make sure I understood it as much as I can... and yes, the players did reject their own offer. I mean, yeah there's a clause that says if they go overboard they'll include a cap, but there's none to start with.

That means the players thought their offer was NOT legit and would NOT allow the league to go on with "normal" salaries being given, 'cause if they thought their offer was able to save the NHL's problem, they'd have accepted this last offer and wouldn't think about the cap possibility.

Players suck.

Old
02-09-2005, 08:07 PM
BLONG7

Has Bettman made Knob Goodenow look bad now... :lol

Old
02-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Habs13

Umm.. wow! Haha this is just *** stupid now.

Old
02-09-2005, 09:03 PM
HaBs_ReNeGaTe

Send a message via MSN to HaBs_ReNeGaTe
Wow... this league is seriously in troubles with Goodenow... (I wont say the sport because the ice hockey do not depend on one league!)

Old
02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
This is getting funnier everyday.

Old
02-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I've got to say I think Bettman outsmarted someone. I wager the pa falls apart within the next year.

Old
ChemiseBleuHonnete

It's gotten ridiculous...

Old
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
This is getting funnier everyday.
Agreed. Today i laughed for 1 hour straight........

Old
02-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Agreed. Today i laughed for 1 hour straight........
Same here and I posted this on another board as well:

This just confirms my stance on the owners side and shows up how pathetic the NHLPA really is. I feel sorry for the few NHPLA supporters because if (not)Goodenough's proposal from December was all they tried to hype it to be, namely "resetting the dial as to salaries and contract negotiations," and having "significant inflationary restraints," then the NHLPA should be jumping at Bettmans offer to use their proposal until it fails, because according to them it won't. This also shows that the NHLPA offered that proposal as a joke and never intended it to be taken seriously, at least from their stand point. Now that the NHL has called the NHLPA's bluff they are running scared back to their holes. This should just make it that much easier for the NHL to call an impasse and win the court battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
Players suck.
I agree and add that the NHLPA sucks.

Old
02-09-2005, 10:10 PM
mvp76

These guys are going to need security guards soon

Old
02-10-2005, 03:14 AM
habsfan4life

you all suck. read between the lines.

Old
02-10-2005, 04:08 AM
Disco Volante

The NHLPA sucks, you got that right, but it would have been the more stupid decision ever for them to accept this offer. Basically, what it says is "ok, we take your offer for this year and whenever we (the owners) want, we impose the salary cap you don't want". It's not a question of the NHLPA's offer not working (I don't know if it would work), it's a matter of leaving it up to the owners to impose their own offer whenever they want.

The If any three teams have a payroll of more than $42 million US switch is ridiculous! You just have to get 3 teams this summer to sign a wannabe Dustin Rose to a 10 M$ contract and hop, you've got your salary cap. The NHL would lose a hell of a lot less money by paying itself those three contracts then by letting this season die completely.

This offer was a joke, and I don't believe any judge would fall for that as a proof of the impasse (well I don't think more proofs are needed anyway).

Old
02-10-2005, 07:28 AM
onemorecup*

At Least There Will Be Closure

shortly, both sides will lose, it is a joke how these players expect anyting better
down the road. Goodenow and the players don`t give a hoot about the average player, they only want to preserve the top end salary , which hopefully triggers
inflation to the lower player. Come next year the players will cave , an impasse is brutal for them , it may take a year or so in litigation, even more cheques missed.

Old
02-10-2005, 07:34 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it
Same here and I posted this on another board as well:

This just confirms my stance on the owners side and shows up how pathetic the NHLPA really is. I feel sorry for the few NHPLA supporters because if (not)Goodenough's proposal from December was all they tried to hype it to be, namely "resetting the dial as to salaries and contract negotiations," and having "significant inflationary restraints," then the NHLPA should be jumping at Bettmans offer to use their proposal until it fails, because according to them it won't. This also shows that the NHLPA offered that proposal as a joke and never intended it to be taken seriously, at least from their stand point. Now that the NHL has called the NHLPA's bluff they are running scared back to their holes. This should just make it that much easier for the NHL to call an impasse and win the court battle.

I agree and add that the NHLPA sucks.
Stop it. Just, stop. If you actually look at it, the league's Feb 2 offer would get imposed immediately upon acceptance of the offer. This has nothing to do with the PA rejecting their own offer, they are re-rejecting the league's Feb 2 offer.

Old
02-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Darz

Well, I for one thought MacNabb had a pretty good game, and if one or two bounces happened to......

Hey are we still talkin NHL hockey????

Damn, I just wish they would kill the season and let us hostages go!!!

Both sides suck. Neither cares about the so called 'good' of the game. Neither side has the fans best interest in their agenda. It's a big frickin cash grab. Both sides see a big pile of money and our fighting about how much each should get. They don't care if they hurt the product on the ice, they don't care if they tourture the fans. They know they can bend us over for a year or so, and we will all come back with a smile on our face!!!

The biggest problem in this stalemate, is the fans CAN'T orginize. If we fans had a unified voice we could hold BOTH the players and owners up by the balls and shake a deal out of them. In certain respects the fans hold all the cards, but somehow still always lose the game!!!!

02-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
Stop it. Just, stop. If you actually look at it, the league's Feb 2 offer would get imposed immediately upon acceptance of the offer. This has nothing to do with the PA rejecting their own offer, they are re-rejecting the league's Feb 2 offer.
Don't ever presume as to be able to tell me what to do.

I did look at the offer and if the NHLPA's offer was all that it was cracked up to be they'd have at least thought about the offer, gone and discussed it, then produced a counter offer with more lenient restraints. That at least would have been the smart thing to do and if the NHL was being insincere in their offer this would have showed them up. But the fact that they dismissed it out of hand with no thought process behind their decision shows their initial offer was a joke. It furthur shows that they are not the least bit inclined to look for common ground.

At least the owners were willing to try a non-cap system, whereas the players are still showing the unwillingness to negotiate.

Old
02-10-2005, 09:52 AM
BORAT

I don't wanna hear this I cannot believe that there will be no hockey this year...

I implore anybody looking down on us... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Me need hockey

Old
02-10-2005, 09:55 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Well, I for one thought MacNabb had a pretty good game, and if one or two bounces happened to......

Hey are we still talkin NHL hockey????

Damn, I just wish they would kill the season and let us hostages go!!!

Both sides suck. Neither cares about the so called 'good' of the game. Neither side has the fans best interest in their agenda. It's a big frickin cash grab. Both sides see a big pile of money and our fighting about how much each should get. They don't care if they hurt the product on the ice, they don't care if they tourture the fans. They know they can bend us over for a year or so, and we will all come back with a smile on our face!!!

The biggest problem in this stalemate, is the fans CAN'T orginize. If we fans had a unified voice we could hold BOTH the players and owners up by the balls and shake a deal out of them. In certain respects the fans hold all the cards, but somehow still always lose the game!!!!
Speaking of hostages the NHLPA is holding approx. 75% to 80% of it's own members hostage. [btw do you know how to select portions of a quote to respond to rather than the entire post? I'm a bit of a ludite].

Old
02-10-2005, 09:56 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisbenbengood
I don't wanna hear this I cannot believe that there will be no hockey this year...

I implore anybody looking down on us... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Me need hockey
I agree it sucks not having any NHL this year, especially not being able to watch our Habs now that they seem to have turned the corner back to respectablity last season.

Old
02-10-2005, 09:59 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
[btw do you know how to select portions of a quote to respond to rather than the entire post? I'm a bit of a ludite].
Hi, all you have to do after you hit the quote button, is highlight the portion of the text you want to take out and cut it, hit the backspace button or the delete button.

edit: I should add that you need to make sure that you don't erase the [] at the beginning of the quote that states who you are quoting or the [] at the end that close the quote, anything in the body of the message between those two sets of brackets can be erased.

Last edited by Hab at it: 02-10-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old
02-10-2005, 10:36 AM
mcphee

[

At least the owners were willing to try a non-cap system, whereas the players are still showing the unwillingness to negotiate.[/QUOTE]

Not really though. My understanding is that the cap would immediately go into effect because the conditions described in the offer [or triggers] would already be exceeded. It's just PA games now. Both sides are doing what they can to expose the hypocrisy of the other. Geez, I feel so good about the whole bunch of them.

Old
02-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
Speaking of hostages the NHLPA is holding approx. 75% to 80% of it's own members hostage.
The same could be said about Bettman as well.

Old
02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
The same could be said about Bettman as well.
I'm not sure about that. Keeping a group of wealthy strong-willed owners united is probably more difficult than muzzling the lower salaried players.

Closed Thread