HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mark Pysyk vs Brayden Mcnabb

Old
11-17-2012, 09:18 AM
SubbanForCouturier

vCash: 500
Mark Pysyk vs Brayden Mcnabb

Hi dear Sabres fans!

I would like to have a little bit more info from some people who watch Pysyk and Mcnabb play.

Who would you consider better right now and has higher ceiling?

Do they have a chance to crack a spot next hockey season, and who will !

Thanks alot guys !!

SubbanForCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Pysyk is in a different league as far as Hockey IQ and Defensive play than McKnabb. McKnabb has the advantage of being more offensive minded and physically imposing.

Right now they are probably 50/50. To me McKnabb's offensive game and physicality isn't far enough ahead of Pysyk's smarts to give him the advantage he should have with an extra year of pro experience. In fact I'm not convinced that McKnabb will consistently score more (overall points) than Pysyk at the NHL level just because guys as smart as Pysyk generally rack up a lot of assists.

If you want a guy to blow open a game by laying a huge hit at center ice, taking the puck and rushing down ice and scoring while playing decent defense then McKnabb is your style. If you want a guy who prevents those sort of plays from happening to your team while providing decent offensive ability then Psysk is your style.

Last edited by Moskau: 11-17-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Pysyk will be a top 4 guy in the NHL. McNabb might possibly be one. Pysyk is easily the better prospect IMO.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 10:14 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Pysyk is a safer pick. Mcnabb is more exciting though. If Mcnabb had pysyks smarts we'd be set

JPurp26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
If Mcnabb had pysyks smarts we'd be set
We'd have Dougie Hamilton. Burke...

Old
11-17-2012, 12:02 PM
tsujimoto74

I think Pystk will eventually be the better NHLer. I see him as a future 30-40 point shutdown defenseman, probably plays 1st PK and 2nd PP. his IQ is easily ahead of McNabb's. Almost always in the right spot, and making smart patient plays with the puck. McNabb will probably get more goals, hits and PIMs, but Pysyk's smarts and skating should make him the overall better d man.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 12:22 PM
mercy

Both will be top-4. McNabb will be much more visible on the ice while Pysyk will quietly go about his business. Comparable to B. Stuart (earlier in his career) and Numminen, respectively.

mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Long term, my money is on Pysyk being the better NHLer. McNabb has the potential to be a game breaker type (big momentum changing hit/goal/fight/etc) but Pysyk is the type of guy you will almost never find yourself ing his play.

Pysyk has a lot of the qualities that translate well and almost ensure yourself a top-4 job in the NHL some day.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Jacob582

^^^^^
I agree with all of the above.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
They'll make a good second-pairing in the NHL one day.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 08:28 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
They'll make a good second-pairing in the NHL one day.
Though I agree with this, I see Myers and Pysyk being paired together and being the top pairing, of course once Myers fills out and starts playing more physical.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Moskau

Something that gets lost in the shuffle with Pysyk is that he's an elite skater. Although you never make pairs to spread out strengths I think having Pysyk and Myers on the same pairing may be redundant. Pysyk, Myers and Sekera would be one hell of a skating group though.

Old
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Something that gets lost in the shuffle with Pysyk is that he's an elite skater. Although you never make pairs to spread out strengths I think having Pysyk and Myers on the same pairing may be redundant. Pysyk, Myers and Sekera would be one hell of a skating group though.
Don't forget Ehrhoff, too. With a group like that, McNabb could never improve his skating and probably not have to pay for it often, because any one of those guys has the speed to cover up for him.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:18 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Though I agree with this, I see Myers and Pysyk being paired together and being the top pairing, of course once Myers fills out and starts playing more physical.
They're both righties.

My vibe is either Pysyk takes over for Regehr as a shutdown guy with Sekera while McNabb-Myers take more risks against less competent offensive players, or Myers returns to the shutdown role while McNabb-Pysyk make up a strong second pairing.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
As stated by another poster, the problem is that Pysyk and Myers are both righties. Our coach-for-life prefers pairing lefties and righties together, where possible. I see Myers and Pysyk being the two righties in the top-4, albeit on different pairings.

I think McNabb's and Pysyk's skillsets complement each other beautifully. McNabb is a physical, risk-tasking lefty with some skating deficiencies. Pysyk is the smooth-skating, low-risk, intelligent righty on whom McNabb can depend when he wants to play his game. Both are competent (or better) offensively.

I've always thought these two are made for each other, and I still feel that way.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
As stated by another poster, the problem is that Pysyk and Myers are both righties. Our coach-for-life prefers pairing lefties and righties together, where possible. I see Myers and Pysyk being the two righties in the top-4, albeit on different pairings.

I think McNabb's and Pysyk's skillsets complement each other beautifully. McNabb is a physical, risk-tasking lefty with some skating deficiencies. Pysyk is the smooth-skating, low-risk, intelligent righty on whom McNabb can depend when he wants to play his game. Both are competent (or better) offensively.

I've always thought these two are made for each other, and I still feel that way.
To build on this, McNabb's biggest assets offensively seem to be his ability to find the open man and put pucks on net (not necessarily through the net) once the team has set up possession in the offensive zone. That dovetails nicely with Pysyk's abilities to quickly move the puck and his speed in transition. As a pairing, they could be a real handful for teams in all three zones.

11-19-2012, 11:36 AM
5 Minute Major

I wasn't too impressed with McNabb's smarts the other night in Binghamton. Rankin made a lazy pass back to McNabb, who tried to come forward and play it, letting the Senator poke it past him and go in on a breakway to score the winning goal, shorthanded, in the 3rd period.

He should have read that play much better and backed off.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 01:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
I wasn't too impressed with McNabb's smarts the other night in Binghamton. Rankin made a lazy pass back to McNabb, who tried to come forward and play it, letting the Senator poke it past him and go in on a breakway to score the winning goal, shorthanded, in the 3rd period.

He should have read that play much better and backed off.
Stuff like this is why I have him 6th in my prospect rankings and am totally willing to ship him off to anywhere willing to overpay for his skillset.

That being said, I do expect him to minimize these kinds of mistakes with development and still have 100% faith in him being an effective #4. I just think that's where he ends up, while guys like Pysyk, Foligno and Girgensons (Catenacci too, to a lesser extent) have the abilities to really transcend their limitations (all of which just happen to be pure offense, rather than footspeed or IQ).

Old
11-19-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Stuff like this is why I have him 6th in my prospect rankings and am totally willing to ship him off to anywhere willing to overpay for his skillset.

That being said, I do expect him to minimize these kinds of mistakes with development and still have 100% faith in him being an effective #4. I just think that's where he ends up, while guys like Pysyk, Foligno and Girgensons (Catenacci too, to a lesser extent) have the abilities to really transcend their limitations (all of which just happen to be pure offense, rather than footspeed or IQ).
you have a physical 6 foot 5 defenceman who is close to PPG in the AHL in only his second year and your willing to move him? I could see moving him in a package for a 1st line foward but that is unlikely, who are the 6 infront of him?

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
you have a physical 6 foot 5 defenceman who is close to PPG in the AHL in only his second year and your willing to move him? I could see moving him in a package for a 1st line foward but that is unlikely, who are the 6 infront of him?
I'd guess Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno, Girgensons, Pysyk. I don't think it's that ridiculous to argue McNabb is our 6th best prospect, and I think that speaks more to the quality of the Sabres prospect pool than it does to McNabb's deficiencies.

Old
11-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I'd guess Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno, Girgensons, Pysyk. I don't think it's that ridiculous to argue McNabb is our 6th best prospect, and I think that speaks more to the quality of the Sabres prospect pool than it does to McNabb's deficiencies.
I agree with you, I'd put him at #6 as well, Pysyk has really impressed me and I think his game will translate better to the NHL.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:23 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Grigs, Girgs, Foligno, Pysyk/Armia. In order.

And I don't "want" to move him, but if a team is asking for a "top prospect" for a player that hypothetical-GM-me covets, McNabb's the guy I'm most willing to part with because he has to overcome hockey-IQ issues rather than concerns about Girgensons/Pysyk's offensive game, for example.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Husko

Sekera-Myers
McNabb-Pysyk

Such a sexy future top 4.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:26 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Sekera-Myers
McNabb-Pysyk

Such a sexy future top 4.
McNabb is overrated and it is to early for Pysyk. At this point in time Brennan is the better option over either.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:38 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
McNabb is overrated and it is to early for Pysyk. At this point in time Brennan is the better option over either.
Future being the key word there. But yeah, I agree with you about McNabb. I have my doubts about him ever being a full time successful NHLer. Lacking in foot speed and IQ can be a killer combo. You can lack one but make it up with the other, but if both are lacking, it can spell trouble.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote