HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion Part XXI)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2012, 08:54 AM
njdevil26

vCash: 500
I have to be honest... I'm more pissed about Parise than I am about Gomez.

Gomez was here for two championships. What did Parise accomplish? Yeah, he was great for us... but he also had quite the disappearing act in the playoffs. His best asset is his quick hands and his heart/resiliency. Raw hockey skill.... ever see the guy take a shot from behind the offensive faceoff dots? Terrible. He got outscored by a guy with a herniated disc that could hardly walk after games.

Old
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
The reason that people dislike players like Parise and Gomez is pretty comical.

He said this, he said that, he lead us on. Who cares? Both players earned the right to hit UFA, and utilized that ability.
It's not comical, it's the nature of the emotional investment of a fan.
It' stems from the same part that makes you cheer and boo and hate that one team more than any other and find a favorite player over everyone else.

It happens, it's not worth belittling anyone over.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:03 AM
CerebralGenesis

My issue with Parise is the character he tried to portray to the media and where he was mentally. Like the little kid who didn't know and just shrugged while saying "oh golly! What ever will I do?". Then it turned out he orchestrated the minnesota departure with Suter. Granted the Kovalchuk deal probably had an impact as well, like it or not.

No one is making you dislike him, but I'm not going to like him til he his career fades away like a small boat into the ocean.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:07 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
My issue with Parise is the character he tried to portray to the media and where he was mentally. Like the little kid who didn't know and just shrugged while saying "oh golly! What ever will I do?". Then it turned out he orchestrated the minnesota departure with Suter. Granted the Kovalchuk deal probably had an impact as well, like it or not.

No one is making you dislike him, but I'm not going to like him til he his career fades away like a small boat into the ocean.
Parise treated the whole thing horribly. He tried to come off as a stand up guy... that he was going to stay... that he had some kind of connection with NJ... when the truth is he was looking for a way out during the season as he was conspiring with Suter... then he hold Lou hostage and jumped to Minny because we couldn't match the ABSURD bonus money that he got.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:57 AM
SixStringAddict

In all honesty, we shouldn't have been in a position where we tied up almost 13-14 million in cap space just on our top two LW positions. Yes Kovy played RW last year but I still feel he was much better at LW. Use that money in to strengthen other positions.

So I don't really care if Parise left. He talked a big game about wanting to be a winner and then he goes to a team like Minny. That should be punishment enough.

Old
12-11-2012, 09:58 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

honestly, I believe parise would’ve signed here if suter want to as well. in fact, I would bet parise spent a lot of time trying to convince suter to sign here. I really believe it came down to minny or nj…so, to say that he was hell bent on leaving his whole career is a bit much. with all that being said though, **** him.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
It's not comical, it's the nature of the emotional investment of a fan.
It' stems from the same part that makes you cheer and boo and hate that one team more than any other and find a favorite player over everyone else.

It happens, it's not worth belittling anyone over.
You can have plenty of emotional investment with your team without the corollary of irrational hatred for any player who decides to move on.

I also think there's a difference between the initial, **** you for leaving us Zach or Scott, and then the longstanding, several years worth of bitterness.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:09 PM
apice3*

For 28 million dollars in signing bonses the first 4 years, a 7.5 mil cap hit lasting until 2025, I'm glad we don' have Parise and Suter.

That being said, I will still be bitter about it until the day those players retire, and then pass the story of betrayal down to my kids.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:32 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
For 28 million dollars in signing bonses the first 4 years, a 7.5 mil cap hit lasting until 2025, I'm glad we don' have Parise and Suter.

That being said, I will still be bitter about it until the day those players retire, and then pass the story of betrayal down to my kids.
irrational human

Old
12-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Parise was saying things odd back in February. Like ''You work very hard your career to get to this point, and go to unrestricted free agency'' Or something like that. I think Lou's policy needs to change fast on letting players walk, and he made a huge mess last July 1st. Though I don't blame Lou, because I am sure he would have signed Parise back in February had Zach wanted to stay, and get a deal done. I don't think he would have came back if Suter came. Something about the organization obviously didn't sit well with him. Whether it was how they didn't qualify his brother Jordan with an offer years back, or as some have said the signing, and lifetime contract of Kovy.

I don't know why anyone would think he had intentions to stay. He said during the Wild press conference he knew he wanted to come home, and play. Two days earlier he said he wanted to come back to Jersey. So he either lied to the Devils fans, or he lied to the good people of Minnesota.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
You can have plenty of emotional investment with your team without the corollary of irrational hatred for any player who decides to move on.

I also think there's a difference between the initial, **** you for leaving us Zach or Scott, and then the longstanding, several years worth of bitterness.
When you think about it, isn't sports fandom in itself irrational?

I fail to see the difference between drawn out hate for the Carolina Hurricanes for kicking the Devils out of the playoffs a couple of times and drawn out bitterness over a valued player going to a hated rival.

Or perhaps, we could just scale it back and say that, like with any type of emotional behavior.. it varies from person to person?
I think that's obvious enough in the many ways all of us are reacting to the lockout.

There's no right or wrong way to conduct being a fan. (Unless you use it to physically or emotionally bully others based on allegiance.. that's just being a terrible person in general)

Old
12-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Technically he 'lost' the ill-fated Game 3 of the Panther series giving up the GWG.
Forgot about that. That was hands down the worst playoff game in Newark right behind the game 7 in 09. Only because the Carolina game was an elimination game, and we blew it in a minute twenty, do I think it was worse. The goal he gave up was as bad as the ones Marty gave up too. Can you blame me for forgetting that one?

The fact we went to the SCF made good on that pathetic game.

Old
12-11-2012, 12:54 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
irrational human
Does not compute. Error J-6.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Beetlebum*

I'm hoping gomez is brought back and gets the chance to play with Kovy.

Old
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlebum View Post
I'm hoping gomez is brought back and gets the chance to play with Kovy.
Ohh Gomez will play with Kovy. When Deboer double shifts Kovy on the 4th line. No chance Gomez gets Top 6 Minutes

Old
12-11-2012, 03:20 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
When you think about it, isn't sports fandom in itself irrational?

I fail to see the difference between drawn out hate for the Carolina Hurricanes for kicking the Devils out of the playoffs a couple of times and drawn out bitterness over a valued player going to a hated rival.

Or perhaps, we could just scale it back and say that, like with any type of emotional behavior.. it varies from person to person?
I think that's obvious enough in the many ways all of us are reacting to the lockout.

There's no right or wrong way to conduct being a fan. (Unless you use it to physically or emotionally bully others based on allegiance.. that's just being a terrible person in general)
And Gomez also punked the Devils the first year, having a big hand in beating us eleven of thirteen games and making that comment about drinking the Kool-Aid in his purse fight with Langs during the playoffs which was kinda funny and snarky at the same time. That just made the hatred worse, but like I said he wasn't exactly a fan favorite even when he was here - people thought he was a floater at times and he was pretty inconsistent and never built on his talent.

At least Parise worked and got the most out of his talent although the way he left was actually worse cause he led everyone (including Lou) on and yeah he never finished the job and didn't even have much of a hand in the big run this year other than a couple of plays he made in the first round and a couple of empty-netters against the Rangers.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Remember Gomez in that series? Wow he was a pest. Seems like he got a point on every goal. I also remember him scoring a shootout goal on Marty in that game on the last day of the regular season that year. We won the game though. That was our only win over them that year other than game 3 of the playoffs.

Gomez had this smug look, and smile on his face before he took the shot. Then he scored, and had a huge grin, and it was shown on the tron and the decibel level broke with boos at the Rock that day.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:41 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

lol I didn't even remember he scored in the shootout, I just remembered being so relieved we won 'a' game against them finally - after blowing a 2-0 lead at that. The only other detail I remember is that a regulation point got us the #4 seed and home-ice, so the Rangers pulled their goalie at the end of regulation to try to win before the end of the game.

But yeah he was a lot better in the playoffs against us then he usually ever was for us in the playoffs. Larry of all people even benched him a couple times.

Old
12-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol I didn't even remember he scored in the shootout, I just remembered being so relieved we won 'a' game against them finally - after blowing a 2-0 lead at that. The only other detail I remember is that a regulation point got us the #4 seed and home-ice, so the Rangers pulled their goalie at the end of regulation to try to win before the end of the game.

But yeah he was a lot better in the playoffs against us then he usually ever was for us.
Did the Rangers pull their goalie that game? I remember Buffalo doing that on the last day of the regular season in 2010 I guess it was. Up until last playoffs Langenbrunner's empty net goal on the last day of the season was a bad memory since people thought we could beat any other team, but the Flyers.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:51 PM
manilaNJ

I typically don't hold sports grudges very long.

Even 2009 doesn't sting as much as it used to, but it'll still be a while before I root for the Canes for anything... for certain.

Gomez has become an amusement and even now I'm not really bitter about Parise.
It's just that he's the cherry on top on what could be one of the ********* off seasons in team history.

******, ****** loss in game 6.
Unnecessary drama with Marty hiring an agent.
Being strung along by Parise's decision.
Losing further winger depth in Ponikarovsky.
Then watch Lou sit on his hands except for a couple of headscratchers in Sal & Barch's contracts.
Then the lockout.
Then Volch and Henrique get injured.
All the while watching the clock tick on a class of UFA's that are all essential to the Devils.
And Albany is still toiling around last place in the AHL.

Pretty much only have had Kovy tearing it up in the KHL to enjoy hockey-wise.
Any added bitterness is justifiable considering what a crappy offseason it's been for Devils fans.

That's how I see it, at least.

Old
12-11-2012, 05:54 PM
apice3*

Good news is Volchenkov is back.

Haven't heard much of the guys in Albany but I hear there stats have kind of dipped. It's expected though. AHL is a pretty reckless league. Lots of players have to find a way to get promoted to the NHL and most of them choose the physical hitting route, since if they had the skills to be there, they'd already be there.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
honestly, I believe parise would’ve signed here if suter want to as well. in fact, I would bet parise spent a lot of time trying to convince suter to sign here. I really believe it came down to minny or nj…so, to say that he was hell bent on leaving his whole career is a bit much. with all that being said though, **** him.
I can't hold anything against him, really. I honestly believe that had Suter not signed in Minnesota, he would not have wanted to go there. Whether or not he truly conspired with him, we will never know, but he still took time to make a decision. It wasn't like it was an easy, **** you I'm out of here decision like Gomez's was. He really had to think about it and was really contemplating New Jersey. Minnesota was too good for him to pass up for numerous reasons, notably family, prior history, and money, so I don't blame him for going there. The players don't like the team as much as the fans do, even though we for some reason think they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixStringAddict View Post
In all honesty, we shouldn't have been in a position where we tied up almost 13-14 million in cap space just on our top two LW positions. Yes Kovy played RW last year but I still feel he was much better at LW. Use that money in to strengthen other positions.

So I don't really care if Parise left. He talked a big game about wanting to be a winner and then he goes to a team like Minny. That should be punishment enough.
Minnesota's future right now is better than the Devils, sorry to break that to you, but it's the truth. Within the next two-three years, they get an influx of solid talent (Coyle, Granlund, Zucker, Spurgeon, and a couple of other young D) to a team with already solid pieces. There's still holes but they can definitely fill them. They are going to be a hell of a team soon.

I agree with the money locked up in LW idea, but the last part is totally not true.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!

Hopefully with Volchenkov back as long as nothing else happens we can trade Tallinder, and get somebody. Even if it's a Mason Raymond type(Not necessarily him) just someone with a decent cap hit, and we can re sign our guys next year with the cap going down.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fayne goes though. It's not what I want, so don't jump on me, but we all think it's Tallinder. I hope we keep Greene, and Fayne. If the whole season's cancelled though I see Zidlicky walking, and no trades of D men. I would like to dump Tallinder to free up some salary though.

As far Carolina in 09 why the hell didn't one of them take a penalty there? They were pinned in their own zone for a minute. If someone took a penalty after those 40 seconds they would have pulled Ward for the extra attacker for a 6 on 4, and we could have maybe put it in the empty net. Instead multiple missed chances to clear from ZZPops, Havelid, and White maybe? Led to that backdoor goal, and then the grand finale from Staal through the 7 hole, and Marty got the entire blame for the series.

Old
12-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Good news is Volchenkov is back.

Haven't heard much of the guys in Albany but I hear there stats have kind of dipped. It's expected though. AHL is a pretty reckless league. Lots of players have to find a way to get promoted to the NHL and most of them choose the physical hitting route, since if they had the skills to be there, they'd already be there.
The lines have been juggled a lot lately, and the addition of Stephen Gionta probably didn't help that. But Whitney's moved up to 3rd in team scoring, Larsson is still 2nd (leads in assists, 7 pts in last 10 games), and Josefson hasn't scored in awhile but still leads the team. Henrique and Tedenby are both tied in points behind Whitney/Anderson and Bobby Butler's on a 3-game point streak and has started to look like his Ottawa self again.

Also both Frazee and Kinkaid have looked absolutely stellar all season long. That about covers it!

Old
12-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Hopefully with Volchenkov back as long as nothing else happens we can trade Tallinder, and get somebody. Even if it's a Mason Raymond type(Not necessarily him) just someone with a decent cap hit, and we can re sign our guys next year with the cap going down.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fayne goes though. It's not what I want, so don't jump on me, but we all think it's Tallinder. I hope we keep Greene, and Fayne. If the whole season's cancelled though I see Zidlicky walking, and no trades of D men. I would like to dump Tallinder to free up some salary though.

As far Carolina in 09 why the hell didn't one of them take a penalty there? They were pinned in their own zone for a minute. If someone took a penalty after those 40 seconds they would have pulled Ward for the extra attacker for a 6 on 4, and we could have maybe put it in the empty net. Instead multiple missed chances to clear from ZZPops, Havelid, and White maybe? Led to that backdoor goal, and then the grand finale from Staal through the 7 hole, and Marty got the entire blame for the series.
No, no, no, and no to Fayne. Like someone said earlier, Fayne is like the "glue guy" on defense. He's the guy that doesn't wow you, doesn't jump out at you, but every championship team has them and they are so important to them. The Ference's, Scuderi's, etc. I don't want him going anywhere.

Closed Thread